Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-26, 23:48   Link #1001
Argent Solbright
Vega, The Swooping Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Konakaga: I think that the best evidence of lacking story coherence is that at the end of the show, even those people who like the ending have no consensus of what actually happened. And that it takes some - to put it politely - extremely speculative hypotheses to squeeze some sense out of the end material.
This is silly. There are tons of works out there whose audience differ in interpretation on what actually happened. That is not evidence of anything. There are also many widely acclaimed works which are confusing from the beginning to the end, forcing its reader to think hard on how to interpret it.

Making readers think and having many interpretation possible are features, not bug.
Old 2014-12-27, 00:04   Link #1002
cleo

Hmm, I think I would've been fine with this final ep if the end image had been "To be continued".
But as it is, it feels like the makers decided on a happy ending, threw in some bits and pieces and hoped the viewers came to a conclusion that would make sense of it all. And yes, with a lot of 'if's' and 'maybe's' some people manage to come up with theories that make some sense. But after all we've been through with these characters, I feel we deserve more than 'we'll leave it up to your imagination / speculation to fill the gaps' .
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 00:07   Link #1003
Miraluka
Banned

^
There is a sequel confirmed though.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 00:09   Link #1004
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Hmm, I think I would've been fine with this final ep if the end image had been "To be continued".
But as it is, it feels like the makers decided on a happy ending, threw in some bits and pieces and hoped the viewers came to a conclusion that would make sense of it all. And yes, with a lot of 'if's' and 'maybe's' some people manage to come up with theories that make some sense. But after all we've been through with these characters, I feel we deserve more than 'we'll leave it up to your imagination / speculation to fill the gaps' .
Unless it's from big studio, usually the sequel isn't decided right away, but they still plan to leave it there for the possible of the anime is doing well enough to have a next season. That's why they are providing the sequel in another format, I guess.
Old 2014-12-27, 01:39   Link #1005
hao10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Btw. if their injuries healed up, is it possible that Tougo's memories came back as well? I mean, I don't see why not because I don't think any laws of physics seem to apply to this literal miracle of curing seemingly permanent injuries.
Well, i guess
Spoiler for LN,9:
hao10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 02:11   Link #1006
whitecloud

No...i guess it shinju?
Old 2014-12-27, 07:34   Link #1007
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

The ending was soo predictable..... and yelling louder powerups are in full swing lol. (i feel bad for the VA's must have been pretty taxing on their vocals).

Found myself disliking the ending... (skimmed through the last half of the episode...)
Spoiler for ending:

Good anime none the less ^^^
Happy Holidays all

Last edited by Baldurkai; 2014-12-27 at 07:44.
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 11:31   Link #1008
Miraluka
Banned

What the.... This is abuse.
Old 2014-12-27, 19:17   Link #1009
EroBotan
Nasty Pet

Miraluka, what's all those writing means? (In general off course, no need to translate every sentence ^^

by abuse, do you mean the amount of "SAMPLE" on it?

btw, a few pages ago, there is someone who post about speculation that Yuna is still fighting. Here is a very detailed explanation about it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...de_aru_ending/

I personally like this version in general, though I hope they're wrong about her not getting her sense of taste back

Last edited by EroBotan; 2014-12-27 at 19:39.
EroBotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 22:22   Link #1010
outlaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroBotan View Post
Miraluka, what's all those writing means? (In general off course, no need to translate every sentence ^^

by abuse, do you mean the amount of "SAMPLE" on it?
It's a special tapestry offered on Studio Gokumi's website and also being sold at Comiket 87. It's double-sided, and the scribbles you see are just autographs and congratulatory messages from the staff of the show.

You can see the other side here:

http://www.gokumi.co.jp/special/c87/
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 22:42   Link #1011
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post

What the.... This is abuse.
Agreed. A fantastic 10/10 image that loses at least three marks (thus ending up 7/10 or lower) due to excessive sampling.
Old 2014-12-28, 01:45   Link #1012
EroBotan
Nasty Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post
It's a special tapestry offered on Studio Gokumi's website and also being sold at Comiket 87. It's double-sided, and the scribbles you see are just autographs and congratulatory messages from the staff of the show.

You can see the other side here:

http://www.gokumi.co.jp/special/c87/
Ah, thanks!!! the other side is more cute with lots of chibis . This kind of stuff is why I kinda regret that I'm not born in japan ... I'm too busy with real life know to learn japanese T__T

I'm curretly rewatching the whole series (not in marathon though, maybe 1-2 episodes a day) then it just dawn on me that Itsuki, the vulnerable weak looking imouto is the most coolheaded, & emotionally stable character in this generation of heroes D:. She never had a mental breakdown & always had a clear goal about what she has to do. She is not a genious like Tougo though ... if she did I have no doubt that she might become the party's strategist.
Old 2014-12-28, 02:40   Link #1013
Haru-kun

Quote:
Those who asked, yes, the sequel is real:
http://gs.dengeki.com/gs/16072/

Well, it seems that they have retracted their announcement. It's kinda unconfirmed now.
Haru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 03:39   Link #1014
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Free signature:
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 09:49   Link #1015
Miraluka
Banned

Spoiler:
Old 2014-12-28, 09:53   Link #1016
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:
Here is more:

A guy from the staff leaked some information about the setting on his blog. Said post just got deleted from the blog actually.

YuYuYu is inspired by a chapter in the oldest Japanese written document, the Kojiki. The story goes as follows:

A long time time ago, Amaterasu, the great God of the skies, believing that he should preside over the land realms too, demanded that Ookuni-nushi, the great God of the land, handed over the land of Izumo, over which Ookuni-nushi presided, to one of his descendants. Ookuni-nushi accepted on the condition that a great palace worthy of the heavenly gods was erected to him. This palace is an actual shrine in Japan called the great Izumo shrine, or Izumo-Taisha.

This much is actual Japanese myth. The rest is his account of the YuYuYu storyline. Also, at this point he says that instead of referring to Ookuni-nushi and Amaterasu he'll simply write Gods of the land and Gods of heaven.

2015 A.D. - The gods of heaven seeing how mankind has prospered, decide that they have to purge them because they are growing impudent. They send the Vertexes to do execute that task. The gods of the land sided with mankind and took the form of Shinju-sama.

2018 A.D. - Vertexes invade Shikoku. Some humans are granted the power of Shinju-sama. The first heroes appear. The following year, mankind has managed to repel the vertexes, but they barely have any defenses left. They get the Vertexes to stop the attacks on the condition that they never leave that land. (T/N:It's not made clear who laid down these terms for them.)

I'll omit things that aren't really new.

2023 A.D. - Taisha and the Gorvenment establish a new system. The Anno Domini era ends. The following year is year 1 of the era of the gods. The era of worshiping Shinju begins.

298 - The events of WaSuYu take place. Because of Gin's death, Taisha requests Shinju to make it so that they don't have to die. Shinju gives them faeries and starts demanding body parts as offerings. The new Yuusha system is born. The final battle at the bridge happens.

Taisha increases the scale of the Yuusha system. They take almost 100 people with good compatibility and station them in groups of 4 and 5 along the coastline.

Yuuna's parents are healthy, even if they aren't even mentioned in the anime. It seems Yuuna learned flower pressing from her mother and martial arts from her father.

There is one type of vertex for each one of the 88 constellations.

_____

88?
That's insane.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 12:10   Link #1017
RDNexus

Hmm... That's pretty much nice intel... Good going.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 12:13   Link #1018
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablete View Post
The rest is his account of the YuYuYu storyline.
I wonder if some of the information ended up revised away during production because some of it does contradict what's written in the LN or shown in the series.

Quote:
They get the Vertexes to stop the attacks on the condition that they never leave that land. (T/N:It's not made clear who laid down these terms for them.)
This for example doesn't match what we know of the series. There's no indication of the reason the Vertex are attacking other than to "finally finish the job."

Quote:
Taisha increases the scale of the Yuusha system. They take almost 100 people with good compatibility and station them in groups of 4 and 5 along the coastline.
Yet, the LN says they only manage to build three new terminals before the series began. The ones now used by Fu, Itsuki and Yuna. How were the other teams supposed to fight if they were chosen?
Despite the quoted line, and what Fu said in ep2, it appears that Taisha always and only planned for Fu's team to fight. I can buy that they didn't mention that to her for some reason though.

Quote:
Yuuna's parents are healthy, even if they aren't even mentioned in the anime.
They are, even if it's just one line. Yuna mentions her mother says she's good at scrubbing backs in ep6.

Quote:
88?
That's insane.
Given that the actual number of Vertex is "unlimited," and that the big ones can be rebuilt, the numbers for the big ones don't really matter.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 12:24   Link #1019
Miraluka
Banned

^
Some parts aren't well translated, I think.

Fuu's parents worked for Taisha, the couple died during the last battle from the prequel.

I guess they were protecting their daughters from such fate and when both died Taisha jumped to take that chance and recruit Fuu.
Old 2014-12-28, 13:18   Link #1020
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Solbright View Post
This is silly. There are tons of works out there whose audience differ in interpretation on what actually happened. That is not evidence of anything. There are also many widely acclaimed works which are confusing from the beginning to the end, forcing its reader to think hard on how to interpret it.
Please. We are not talking artsy shows with obscure endings here, like Evangelion 25&26. YuuYuu has been among the most direct and simple shows, up to episode 10 it left pretty much nothing to question. If anything, all developments could be seen from a mile away, it did not mix storylines and worked through every story thread until it was fully resolved.

What would be needed for a show with a proper ambiguous ending would be scenes which are unclear. Where the viewer is shown something symbolic or weird which doesn't seem to belong. But I can't remember any of these scenes. There is nothing to _interpret_ (as in taking something shown which doesn't seem to make sense and trying to explain it). Yes, you can still _speculate_ (as in trying to fill in the gaps, but with no factual basis from the material to relate it with)

The show _completely sidestepped_ any relevant resolution to most of the issues it raised, and the few ones it did (like Togo's motivation for her action) were exceptionally unsatisfactory to me, since they directly contradicted earlier statements.

Yes, maybe I would feel more lenient with the show if I had extra knowledge from game or LN, but I didn't, and I can assure you that I won't seek them. The anime has to stand on its own legs.

Quote:
Making readers think and having many interpretation possible are features, not bug.
Excuse me, but no. To me, this ending is a full-fledged failure. What unclear relevant scenes would be there to _interpret_?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, magical girl, mahou shoujo, ps vita, tragedy