AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-04-02, 06:04   Link #1
Raviel

Need some help with a (small?) problem regarding my laptop

Hello, recently my laptop has started to shutdown on it's own without warning while on low battery power. I did a bit of testing with it and from what I can tell it only shuts itself off when it is at 12%-13% battery power.

However, when my laptop is plugged in I don't experience any shutdowns, I even tried taking out the battery and running it only plugged in and it boots up just fine.

My other weird issue is that when I do use my laptop without the battery it boots up the moment I plug in the power jack in.

I did some research and apparently the fault is in the battery/hardware since everything else runs just fine.

I'm not too tech savvy so I was wondering if anyone else could provide some input on how serious this issue is because I'm pretty confused about what I should actually be doing.

EDIT: My laptop's specs just in case it helps:

ASUS X550L

Processor: Intel Core i7-4500U 1.8GHz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 840m

RAM: 8 GB

HDD: 1 TB
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 11:06   Link #2
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

It should be your power options, telling your laptop to shut down at critical/low battery power which is 12-13% by default.

Go to Control Panel -> search for 'Power Options' -> 'Edit power plan' and you should see the 'Change settings for the plan: something'
Click on 'Change advanced power settings' and a new window will open. Scroll down to 'Battery' and expand it to change the 'Critical/Low battery action' to whatever you want.

The wording may be a bit different, I'm using Windows 10.

About the issue on booting up the moment it's plugged in, I have never experienced that before but I think it's doing that by design. Without a battery, why would you supply power to a laptop except to turn it on and run it? The power has nowhere to go if there is no storage (battery).
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 20:25   Link #3
Raviel

Thanks for the reply, but I checked my power plan settings like you said and they were all set to "hibernate" and the critical battery level was set to 5%.

I guess the problem really is with the battery.
Old 2016-04-09, 03:23   Link #4
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Depending on the battery, some batteries have a memory in them. It could be that your battery has degraded slightly and while your computer thinks it's at ~12% power, it could in reality be at around ~5% or less of its original full charge, which could result in the computer shutting off prematurely. I know that most higher-end laptop batteries are 4- or 6-cell, and if one or more fails your computer will still think it has more charge but the mAh will fall below acceptable levels to power your unit and the device will go into emergency shutdown.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. You might just have the battery replaced. On that particular unit (if it's the model I'm thinking), you may need to send it in to the manufacturer to have the battery replaced. Most newer computers have the battery soldered onto the motherboard.
Old 2016-04-09, 10:00   Link #5
Raviel

I see, well the problem isn't so serious that I can't use my laptop on battery power but I'll probably have to get it checked some time soon.

Does anyone else know if I should worry about the "boot up on plug in" issue?

I'd like to add that the unit has been like this ever since I got it and I run into absolutely no problems when it turns itself on like this.

Overall my second "issue" just weirds me out because I've never seen a computer of any sort behave like this