Notices

Old 2007-01-13, 16:00   Link #41
Nicol Armarfi
Blobbery.

Send a message via AIM to Nicol Armarfi Send a message via MSN to Nicol Armarfi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narum1
...if it has lyrics,...
To go a bit off topic for a second... I actually find it strange how people now aday's seem to not like music that doesn't have lyrics. They seem to just pay attention to the words, which is also why I find alot of people don't like music in other languages... Why, I do not know. But they might aswell just be reading limmerac's, or other type's of poem's that people write their lyrics according to.

On another note...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
I know more about classic rock than metal. And, in classic rock, the low-percentage female singers usually have a specific voice that highly matches the genre and the songs they sing.
The reason their voice matches their music is because they make the music, and according to what they believe in, not what the fan's do. And as long as any artist, male or female can do that well, I'll listen. I just can't stand when men try to pitch their voice too high, no matter how well it fit's the context of their lyrics, or texture of the music.
Nicol Armarfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:23   Link #42
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicol Armarfi View Post
I just can't stand when men try to pitch their voice too high, no matter how well it fit's the context of their lyrics, or texture of the music.
If you refer to what Joplin does a lot, then there should be exceptions, such as R. Plant and Freddy Mercury, at the least. I agree with you that I would never want to see some singers try to imitate that, such as Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, or Nick Cave, regardless of their status. But, the exceptions prove that as long as the voice supports it, and the sound can be matched to that voice, it can result in great songs.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 02:19   Link #43
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
I'd really say it depends on what type of music you listen to, and maybe the language.

For what little j-music I listen to, I tend to prefer to listen to female solo singers, but male singers who are in a band. It's kind of hard to explain. ^^;;

As for English music, I tend to listen to alot of 'indie' music, and it's a genre dominated by male singers, but when I listen to a pretty female vocal lead, I tend to be very enthusiastic about the band. (Eisley comes to mind.)

It's really just the beat and instruments that pull me to music, though. Even if a song has the prettiest lyrics in the world, I can't listen to it if I don't like the "background music."

I apologize for being vague.
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 12:28   Link #44
hikarikokoro

Before the age of 16...the i only have 2 male songs in my computer....after entering college...i learn about rock and male singers' songs start appearing in my computer...I guess guys sing better in rock since they can reach low notes and stuff i mean there are more male j-rockers then female since rock do consist of some shouting/screaming at times...while female singers are able to sing a variety of songs sice they are able to reach high notes which makes their songs more interesting...yap that explains why i listen to more famale singers lol
hikarikokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 19:27   Link #45
suitechic1979

When it comes to Japanese music, in most cases I prefer female singers... and I am female. When it comes to English music, I don't really favor one over the other.. my favorite English singer is male.. so I guess for me.. gender doesn't really matter all that much.. it is the song that makes the music good or not.
suitechic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 20:39   Link #46
Nicol Armarfi
Blobbery.

Send a message via AIM to Nicol Armarfi Send a message via MSN to Nicol Armarfi
Quote:
But, the exceptions prove that as long as the voice supports it, and the sound can be matched to that voice, it can result in great songs.
That said... I don't listen to much vocal music, anyway. I'm more for classical or romanticism. Although I have a few JRock discographies and opera's on my computer, I don't listen to them that much...

Quote:
If you refer to what Joplin does a lot, then there should be exceptions, such as R. Plant and Freddy Mercury, at the least.
Aah... It's not that I don't like the music behind it, it's just that... It sound's like an entirely different instrument when some men try and sing at a high pitch (really, anything above a mezzo-soprano's range), it sound's way too different in comparison to their normal voices. However female's can sing at a soprano pitch perfectly, which, suit's alot of song's better.
Nicol Armarfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 07:36   Link #47
Rayfield
こんに&

Male singer's tone and pitch are a bit more limited compared to female singer's tone and pitch. And yea, they can reach higher pitches.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 16:14   Link #48
ohitislove

I like Male vocals more. I find that a lot of women sound whiney when they sing or that their nose is stuff. It bothers me.
ohitislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 17:58   Link #49
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, there are some genres where I don't really form an opinion about the singer, thus not really caring whether it's a guy or a girl (for example, rock, with the exception of Bono from U2, whose voice beats the pulp to any other male rock singer). But in other genres where I care more about singers, like pop, I do prefer them females. I can't stand male pop singers at all, they remind me too much of boybands.

Most of times, however, the voice of the singer doesn't really affect me. If the music is good enough, the singer might suck all you want but I'd listen to it anyways.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 20:30   Link #50
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

No it doesnt music is music . It would be wrong to assume every female who sings , performs bubble-gum Pop . Most of the Japanese Idols are Male also true in case of BoyBands
Old 2007-02-20, 11:04   Link #51
Question
Crossdresser

Women singers tend to be more popular, and there are more of them.

Its very simple. Singing needs smooth voices, not rough ones. The majority of males have naturally "rough" voices after their voice breaks during puberty. This really isnt conducive to singing, unless its the kind where you play heavy metal and scream gibberish that no one can understand anyway. Naturally speaking, females have an advantage over males when it comes to the beauty of their voices.
Old 2007-02-21, 17:53   Link #52
ColdHands

Not really!! I pay attention to the instruments rather than the voice, even though that technically is an instrument. LOL.
ColdHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 09:21   Link #53
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Also so called J-Rockers are mostly Glam Rockers whose emphasis is on style rather than muzik Miyabi is an epitome of That people with no talent snd undertsnding of music can actually sell records . And well so called Chic Rockers rock the Hardest Jinn is an example of that .

Jinn - Raion
Old 2007-03-13, 10:34   Link #54
H-man
3rd year Otaku

Location: Hmm...: Bollnäs, Sweden; Sundsvall, Sweden; Edsbro, Sweden and a couple of places in Texas, USA
Send a message via MSN to H-man
NO! Gender does not matter, all that matters is if they can sing "well". Now well is determined buy the listener, as they say: "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". My personal opinion is that it's mostly girls that are better at singing, my favorite is Tanaka Rie. But that is also because of the style of music I listen too. I have a few male singers I like also but none of them are Japanese.
H-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 08:32   Link #55
Lumineya

I personally prefer women's voices in things like Kidneythieves "ZeroSpace" and Aimee Allen's "Start a Revolution". I have a straneg attraction to the butt-kicking babes genre in EVERYTHING, including music.
Lumineya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 03:35   Link #56
wontaek

One of my favorite album: Farinelli [SOUNDTRACK]

http://www.amazon.com/Farinelli-Ricc...061048-2272406

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farinelli

Ok. That was a joke. My real favorite

Victoria Requiem: Officium Defunctorum,1605
Tomás Luis De Victoria (Composer), David Hill (Conductor), Choir of West Minster Cathedral (Performer)

http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-Requi...3947758&sr=1-1

The choir consists of Treble ( boy soprano ), some Means ( boy alto ), Countertenor, tenor, baritone, and bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_soprano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countertenor

Last edited by wontaek; 2007-03-15 at 10:55.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 12:30   Link #57
53RG10

Send a message via MSN to 53RG10 Send a message via Yahoo to 53RG10
To me it's the female voice. I've always enjoyed talking to girls and listening to their words. They say more meaningful things than guys do {it's obviously obvious!!}

But in Rock and Metal, I listen to males a lot more that females!
53RG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 22:22   Link #58
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
It somewhat depends on the lyrical content, but I've heard awesome material from either gender in multiple genres, so ultimately it doesn't matter. There's also the trend of most of my Japanese songs being from female artists, but I haven't noticed an overwhelming number of male singers in Japan that are readily available for me to get outside of a few key bands that have made themselves known.

Mostly it just boils down to lyrics for me. But I absolutely love the vocals from Kamelot and Epica (who ironically have worked together on a few songs). The female vocalists from bands like Nightwish, After Forever, and Within Temptation are also a personal favorite.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 00:51   Link #59
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

Well, I'm not gonna lie. I would rather listen to a female voice then a male. But it depends.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Shadow Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 19:42   Link #60
Plamo

Quality of the singer matters the most to me, but after that, I prefer a male singer.

Although, no singing always makes me happy too, I listen to music for sound, not lyrics.
Plamo is offline   Reply With Quote