AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-06, 13:35   Link #41
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
it's nothing new considering sekirei is a clone of hundreds of other harem animes as well.

at least the main character starts straight off getting involved in the fighting instead of being a sidelined useless emotional comfort toy for the females, that's one of my major pet peeves with the genre.

either way hopefully it won't catch up with the novels (though honestly i doubt it will considering how many books are out)
chrome shelled regios? currently
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 13:43   Link #42
ZeroForever

well Regios is one of those series that does the opposite of the useless male lead in that layfon is a fighting god compared to almost everyone.

either way anyone know why they numbered the vol's as 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 instead of just 10 and 11? Are they side character volumes or something?
Old 2009-05-06, 14:15   Link #43
Mentar
Banned

Well... I'll be outing myself now, but after unsuccessfully trying to find the raws to the 2 manga volumes on japanese P2P, I've just ordered them to ship them over to good ole Europe.

Why? Because first of all, even though the basic premise looks terribly simple (fighters subdivided in Zauber/Caster, Gewehr/Gunfighter and Schwert/Swordswomen), the main catch is kinda silly (male lead turning into a female to fight) and the speaking stuffed toy kinda makes me want to carve it up... it does have its moments. Also, I liked the art. So I tried to find out more, and what I was able to dig up piqued my interest.

First of all... based on what I've seen from the novels, the main focus doesn't seem to be on endless fighting, it seems to be more of a highschool action comedy with quite some romance elements. And the Natsuru male/female setup leads to quite interesting relatiohships. Here's a spoiler-protected relationship chart from novel 3:

Spoiler:

Over the course of the 11 novel volumes, we seem to get an interesting "inverse" setup of a harem. The lead Natsuru in his 2 forms becomes the target of affection for a number of girls with very strong personalities and forceful attitudes, particularly in their Kämpfer form. And judged by the number of animations from the novels, they don't take "no" for an answer and take no prisoners ^_^

From Natsuru's point of view, he develops a strong crush on the School Idol Kaede, who in return also falls for Natsuru - unfortunately only in his female Kämpfer form. We'll also have alot of other girls pining after him, but unlike other Harems, not of googly-eyed adoring girls, but rather slightly predatory bishoujos who go after him without remorse. So, in a way, you can pity Natsuru... or get mad at him for being so incredibly lucky. At least, iit seems to be a very refreshing divergence from the usual.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 14:21   Link #44
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

i hope it ain't yuri gogles, sigh ka-puut!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-05-06, 15:01   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The main catch is kinda silly (male lead turning into a female to fight)
It's because male characters in your average anime have become so synonomous with sucking and being weak at this point that the only way to justify a dude fighting (especially against girls who would probably whip him) is to turn him into a girl. Simple concept.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 22:39   Link #46
Midonin
Last Engage

And the animation studio behind this series is *curiously spontaneous drumroll* Nomad. I have no problem with this.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 06:48   Link #47
meh

Quote:
Here's a spoiler-protected relationship chart from novel 3:

Spoiler:
I wonder if in the later volumes if Natsuru falls for some guy in Kempufer form. That could be awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's because male characters in your average anime have become so synonomous with sucking and being weak at this point that the only way to justify a dude fighting (especially against girls who would probably whip him) is to turn him into a girl. Simple concept.
Never thought about that. But it's so true. Yet then again, why is it that these novels are always based on the premise that ONLY girls can be powerful? If you just make it so both guys and girls can be powerful, then the main character won't be so limited.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 08:23   Link #48
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
I wonder if in the later volumes if Natsuru falls for some guy in Kempufer form. That could be awkward.
If this was a shoujo light novel, then that's possible, but of course its not. This light novel series is published under the shounen light novel label MF Bunko J, so this is a shounen(boy's) light novel series, so that type of scenario will never happen, unless you want to put off/disgust the target readership of this light novel series (which are teenage boys).
Old 2009-05-07, 10:03   Link #49
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Oh wait, you meant that the guy is in Kenpufer form (not that Natsuru is in Kenpufer form and he gets in love with a guy, becasue that's just disgusting, and very highly impossible to happen in a shounen light novel series), ahh then that's possible, Natsuru doesn't know that she is originally a guy, that would serve as comedy, and that's highly possible even in male oriented light novels.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:46   Link #50
ZeroForever

yeah as mentioned it would plausible for the main character 'trap' to fall for another mtf 'trap' character. Though as noted it would probably be a reused joke or such as it's highly unlikely they do any major plot device that could turn it into a yaoi fest as this is a shounen series and butt sex doesn't usually appeal to that audience.

If anything it's more likely that his female form creates a male fan legion as that's usually the typical thing that happens with mtf 'trap' protagonists.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:58   Link #51
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

have u guys ever heard of rumiko takashi's Ranma 1/2?
Old 2009-05-07, 12:24   Link #52
ZeroForever

there's only one arc in ranma where ranma really went after a guy seriously which was the koi rod arc which was pretty far into the series and in general ranma never really had any major yaoi fests which is why i mentioned it's possible as a minor thing but highly unlikely to become a major point in the story.

in general though does it really matter?

so what the series is, is a GB magical girl series with a love octagon where half the characters like his male side and half his female and the females magical girl personalities are dommes...
Old 2009-05-07, 12:32   Link #53
Mentar
Banned

Well... as far as I can tell, Natsuru is fairly committed in his romantic interest - on Kaede. However, that's his wish - and the reality looks sliiightly different ^_^

Spoiler for two pages from novel 8 1/2:
Old 2009-05-07, 14:06   Link #54
NeoSam

Yeah, they wouldn't exgagerate unless they want to put off their target readership... hmm... No Bra; shounen comedy manga. Though in the end the publisher/magazine's editor is the one that decides what's acceptable and not... so in the end whatever (yes whatever) the content of the manga/light novel is, the target demographic is still the same.

Anyway, I'll mention here the shounen(boy's) light novel series from "MF Bunko J" that will get animated, and those that already got animated:

Shounen(boy's) light novel series from the shounen light novel label MF Bunko J that will also be getting animated:

Asobi ni Ikuyo!
Seiken no Blacksmith

Shounen(boy's) light novel series from the shounen light novel label MF Bunko J that got animated:

Kage Kara Mamoru!
Kamisama Kazoku
Kanokon
Zero no Tsukaima

Note: just to show you the type of light novels published under this label. A light novel label aimed at young adult males.
Old 2009-05-07, 17:20   Link #55
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Well... as far as I can tell, Natsuru is fairly committed in his romantic interest - on Kaede. However, that's his wish - and the reality looks sliiightly different ^_^

Spoiler for two pages from novel 8 1/2:
Hehe TOO cute. I love how he has the same expression for every surprise kiss.
Any Potential Air Dates yet?
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 18:17   Link #56
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Oh wait, you meant that the guy is in Kenpufer form (not that Natsuru is in Kenpufer form and he gets in love with a guy, becasue that's just disgusting, and very highly impossible to happen in a shounen light novel series), ahh then that's possible, Natsuru doesn't know that she is originally a guy, that would serve as comedy, and that's highly possible even in male oriented light novels.
Yeah. I meant it as gag. I know it can't be a serious thing. But I remember reading another novel where the main guy's first crush ended up being his best friend in a drag(. And I thought it was pretty hilarious.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 18:55   Link #57
Fandal

For those of you who read the novel, can you answer this? I was browsing Volume 2 of the novel doing a triple translation from Japanese-Chinese-English w/ the online translators and found this really odd scene:

Spoiler for probably a big novel spoiler:
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 01:47   Link #58
Mentar
Banned

What's odd about that? :-> ... that's par for the course.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Mentar; 2009-05-08 at 04:28. Reason: fixed typo
Old 2009-05-08, 02:02   Link #59
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
i've read only 2 chapter release that about it its very good
Old 2009-05-08, 15:33   Link #60
kyouray
2D > 3D

Senmu's art is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeath View Post
i've read only 2 chapter release that about it its very good
Yeah I've read too these chapters, nice and fun.

By the way, we've the staff (thanks to AnimeWatcher) :
Director : Yasuhiro KURODA (黒田やすひろ - Kyōran Kazoku Nikki and Chocotto Sister's director)
Series Composition : Kazuyuki FUDEYASU (ふでやすかずゆき)
Character Designer : Mariko FUJITA (藤田まり子 - made Rosario + Vampire's chara-design)
Animation Production : Nomad (ノーマッド)

I can expect something fun from Kyōran Kazoku Nikki's director

Tags
action, comedy, genderbender, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen