AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-09-17, 21:08   Link #521
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentaSalia View Post
Well, there's always fanfics:P

They never end lol.
i don't think they will ever be enough for some fans, they have no animations, voice etc.
white wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:15   Link #522
black_star
How should i say it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_of_Chaos View Post
K-ON! is not the same as that "Big 3 from Shonen Jump" (had hundreds of episodes, some of them are fillers). If the fans wanted S3, just let KyoAni and Kakifly to decide.

Dude, such a fanaticism...
Fortunately K-On is not serialized in SJ
Battle animes like the Big 3 usually needs ton of episodes
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:16   Link #523
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
i don't think they need tons, it's just they add a lot of shit so they will never end
Old 2010-09-17, 21:27   Link #524
Hunter_of_Chaos
Revenant of Moenizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by white wing View Post
i don't think they need tons, it's just they add a lot of shit so they will never end
Well yeah, as expected from mainstream series...
That's why I chose K-ON! over these Big 3, much more enjoyable although shorter in terms of episodes .

Those Big 3's stories will never end! It's still an ongoing series since many years ago with hundreds of episodes!

But, no. They won't surpass the popularity of K-ON!.

Sorry for a bit of OOT.

EVA-01 is one crazy unit, right?
Hunter_of_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:38   Link #525
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As to the posts replying to me:

That was my point: Crazy fans are assigning all sorts of non-existent and idiotic reasons to justify all the hate-on for season being all so different from season one, which is why as winhlp32 rightfully points out, makes season 2 a whole different entity from season 1, making a direct comparison almost useless.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:41   Link #526
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Sorry for huge post...

I find that its really best not to compare season 2 with season one. Each season had features that they excelled at, but it should be pretty clear by now that season 2 served a different purpose than season 1. But in my opinion season 2 will be the work that people in the future appreciate a lot more than season one, not just in the technical aspect(the animation, and the overall aesthetic is just better, hands down), and also in the message that the content is trying to convey.

One could argue season 1 lives up to the name "K-On" better than season 2 does. Season 1 can be essentially divided into 2 halves: Episode 1 - 7 served as an introduction to the characters and their basic personalities. They try to rebuild the club but are constantly under the threat of being shut down, whether its because they don't have four members, Ritsu forgets to fill in the necessary paperwork, Yui not having the necessary grades to do club activities, or the club missing an adviser. The group had big dreams of wanting to make it to Budokan, but more grounded people like Mio worries that being a club of amateurs they are at a serious disadvantage, especially considering the level the previous Keionbu was at. The first half of season 1 climaxes with their first school festival performance, and tells us that the club is here to stay.

If 1-7 introduces us to a club that we the viewers are perfectly fine with, episode 8 - 12 of season 1 is about exploring the dynamics of the K-On club from a more objective view, with the introduction of Azusa, a girl serious about music. The K-On girls do their club activities pretty much as they did it in their first year, while Azusa is introduced(and we the viewers are reintroduced, which led to the popular opinion that the second half of season 1 is the same as the first half with Azusa pasted on) to the antics and odd personalities of these girls. Azusa laments the progress made and how awful the band is, but in the end begins to put up with the girls and start to accept the idea that unity comes first, with her admitting that when they are all playing together, the band sounds...kind of alright. At the end she even believes they shouldn't perform at all if Yui couldn't make it to the performance. The season ends with them reflecting on the troubles it took to revive the club, and the fun they had together, with Yui declaring the school festival as "their budokan", that no matter how crap a band they are(remember K-On is suppose to be a deconstruction of 'cool', but that's a different can of worms altogether), being together is essentially their dream come true.

One of the big differences between season 2 and 1 is in the way the story is told, in that season 1 can be separated into two halves, and season 2 is one cohesive narrative. For people marathoning season 1 and 2 together, if you've enjoyed the pacing of season 1, season 2 can be a turn off as everything as really slowed down.

We can tell visually season 1 is a comedy, and season 2 is more akin to a slice of life with the occasional comedy. In season 1 the gags are accentuated with character designs often turns super-deformed, having surreal expressions, coloring and art-shift. Whenever a gag comes up, abstract backgrounds with bubbles and sparkles are used to tell us its a gag. With season 2 Yamada starts to pay attention to character expressions, nuanced movements, and low-key comedy. The characters are expressive without being as ridiculous as season one was. We start to see scenery p0rn being utilized to convey the atmosphere. The abstract backgrounds are mostly non-existent, as are the color, art shift, and super-deformity.

We start to notice the smaller details in their world. We start to notice there are certain movements that only Yui does, such as the vulcan salute. The girls have their own running jokes(lycopene, anime figurine, sharekobe), their own way of communicating via the paper-notes, and via mobile phones. And where in season 1 Mugi is considered to be on a higher pedestal than the other girls, in season 2 we start to see that Mugi has her own, albeit eccentric insecurities, and that she is also ;one of the girls. You can say that you may never meet these kind of girls in real lives because they're too pure and too nice to each other, but if there is really someone in the real world who is really nice, the K-On girls would be how I'd imagine he/she to be like. The K-On girls are believable as characters.

If season one can considered to have 'two stories', than season two can be considered to have 'two core worlds inside a vast universe'. One world being the K-On girls, the other world being Azusa, Ui and Jun. These two worlds are connected by Azusa, and serves to emphasize the main running theme of the story that Azusa is to be separated from the K-On girls, and her newly deepened relationship with Ui and Jun is her preparing herself so she would have a shoulder to cry on later.

Where season 1 has the girls spending most of their time in the club-room, season 2 shows there is a whole world outside it. The girls spend more time in the classroom, they participate in school activities such as the marathon, photoshoots, and the exams now rather than just club activities. Whenever they go, they are not in their own little world at the beach, nor are they the center of the focus anymore. They help out Nodoka's fan-club, they attend another person's wedding, they listen to concerts from other bands. Jun attends a Jazz club has a senpai there she admires, but we don't know who they are. And nowhere is the idea that the K-On girls are the only people in this universe more prevalent than in the other 34 originally designed students that are in their class. We learn some of them want to become a photographer, take over the family business, etc. We also learn that Ritsu likes to hang out with the other girls, and that Yui has become quite attached to Himeko. It is implied that Yui may sometimes walk home with girls other than the girls from the K-On club or Nodoka, and Mio may sometimes have lunch, or go shopping with girls that aren't from the K-On club or Nodoka.

Season 2 is an iyashi-kei piece(comparable to Aria), has an undercurrent of transience or mono no aware. With season 2, Kyoani took special care to create not just four girls and their club, but five girls and their way of life. Season two may not be more philosophical or dramatic, but I can say I definitely care more about the girls in season two than I do when they're in season 1. Season 1 is more plot driven, and season 2 is more character driven. Season 1 produced pop music for the sake of performance, while season 2's music all served a purpose and complimented the story(Pure pure heart for Sogabe, Love for Sawako, U&I for Ui, Tenshi ni furetayo for Azusa).

With all the Haruhi fiasco during the airing of season 1, one can also argue that season two marks the time with Naoko Yamada finally starts to take the franchise seriously. The result is, in my opinion, a much more coherent narrative with a clear message, and a better, more appreciated anime overall.

But in the end, if you want great music anime, look no further than Angel Beats!
Epic post. You've eloquently and poignantly described every aspect of K-on that I enjoyed. A lot of my friends watch it and remark on how boring it is, how it "has no plot." But you're right, it's about the characters more so than scenario their put in.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:46   Link #527
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Epic post. You've eloquently and poignantly described every aspect of K-on that I enjoyed. A lot of my friends watch it and remark on how boring it is, how it "has no plot." But you're right, it's about the characters more so than scenario their put in.
You'll have to ask your friends if their daily life "has a plot" "Days in the lives of..." series tend to split audiences because they aren't the usual 'action adventure' expected by some.
Old 2010-09-17, 21:51   Link #528
ICEheaven102
Tui là người Viẹt!

Send a message via MSN to ICEheaven102
My ideas for season 3: The story follows Yui, Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi in their University, they re-create the Light Music Club there. On Azusa's hand, Ui and Jun join the Light Music Club back at the high school, and Sawako becomes their teacher.

At the end of the season (Which will be the TRUE finale, and will be after university and when they're about 23, 26 years old), Mio, Ritsu, Azusa, and Yui get an invitation from Mugi, and they all meet at her house. They all hug each other, have fun and reminisce about their past days. Oh yes, and Yui will glomg Azusa and scream "AZU-NYAN!!!!".

I can just imagine an adult Keion crew...
Old 2010-09-17, 21:55   Link #529
black_star
How should i say it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEheaven102 View Post
My ideas for season 3: The story follows Yui, Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi in their University, they re-create the Light Music Club there. On Azusa's hand, Ui and Jun join the Light Music Club back at the high school, and Sawako becomes their teacher.

At the end of the season (Which will be the TRUE finale, and will be after university and when they're about 23, 26 years old), Mio, Ritsu, Azusa, and Yui get an invitation from Mugi, and they all meet at her house. They all hug each other, have fun and reminisce about their past days. Oh yes, and Yui will glomg Azusa and scream "AZU-NYAN!!!!".

I can just imagine an adult Keion crew...
My goodness
I'd see it too
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 22:00   Link #530
Fome

Rather than a third season, they should make a movie. There is just far too much risk of diluting the nostalgic appeal by extending it another 20 some episodes. A movie would be perfect for the brevity. There are so many small-scale situations that fans want to see--first professional live, new songs from Azusa's reborn band, reunion, etc.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 00:22   Link #531
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Rather than a third season, they should make a movie. There is just far too much risk of diluting the nostalgic appeal by extending it another 20 some episodes. A movie would be perfect for the brevity. There are so many small-scale situations that fans want to see--first professional live, new songs from Azusa's reborn band, reunion, etc.
seconded, i would really like to see a movie, and i would like to see azusa chose to part ways with htt and forming her own band with jun/the jazz club/ or maybe ui, and seeing those two bands play live together, maybe in the same festival/stage.
Old 2010-09-18, 00:35   Link #532
Hakeru
けいおん だいすき~!

Quote:
2nd-ed

they should make a new album too .. ( maybe ) if there is no season 3
OVA , and Movie ..

also.. live concert
Hakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 00:55   Link #533
evangeline88
Moe Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeru View Post
also.. live concert
This.
I would love to see the second live concert

And the movie, too, of course.

evangeline88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 01:03   Link #534
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeru View Post
2nd-ed

they should make a new album too .. ( maybe ) if there is no season 3
OVA , and Movie ..

also.. live concert
i'd like to see the album they recorded on the last episode released irl, that would be so much better than s3

any news regarding that album released?
Old 2010-09-18, 01:10   Link #535
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by white wing View Post
i'd like to see the album they recorded on the last episode released irl, that would be so much better than s3

any news regarding that album released?
Assuming you mean the one they made in episode 23, release date is October 27.
Old 2010-09-18, 03:09   Link #536
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Assuming you mean the one they made in episode 23, release date is October 27.
oh yeah i meant episode 23
kinda curious about those songs they haven't played
Old 2010-09-18, 08:04   Link #537
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Sorry for huge post...

huge post here
That was a great post :S I can't help but to agree with almost everything you've said. Everybody, read that post on the previous page before continuing to read xD
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 11:57   Link #538
keroro gunsou

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_of_Chaos View Post
K-ON! is not the same as that "Big 3 from Shonen Jump" (had hundreds of episodes, some of them are fillers). If the fans wanted S3, just let KyoAni and Kakifly to decide.
I agree. So I guess S3 will not come out. I will not forget this anime. K-on was funny,heart-warming,and emotional.
keroro gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 12:37   Link #539
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

The one thing I want Kakifly to do is enjoy whatever it is he decides to do next. If he indeed decides to do a K-ON! sequel, I'd hope he'll do it because he likes doing it, not because the fans keep bugging him into making it. If he doesn't enjoy it, the overall result may be worse than fans expect and it could haunt the poor guy forever if fans were to lash out at him (ignoring the fact that they would be the cause of it).

I say give the guy some time to think on his next move. I'll support him in whatever decision he makes, be it a K-ON! sequel, something else or nothing at all. He's the one who has to make the choice.

Same thing goes for KyoAni and the K-ON! anime. If they make a new season or spin-off or whatever, they'd better do it because they want it and not because they have to.
Old 2010-09-18, 13:33   Link #540
keroro gunsou

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The one thing I want Kakifly to do is enjoy whatever it is he decides to do next. If he indeed decides to do a K-ON! sequel, I'd hope he'll do it because he likes doing it, not because the fans keep bugging him into making it. If he doesn't enjoy it, the overall result may be worse than fans expect and it could haunt the poor guy forever if fans were to lash out at him (ignoring the fact that they would be the cause of it).

I say give the guy some time to think on his next move. I'll support him in whatever decision he makes, be it a K-ON! sequel, something else or nothing at all. He's the one who has to make the choice.

Same thing goes for KyoAni and the K-ON! anime. If they make a new season or spin-off or whatever, they'd better do it because they want it and not because they have to.
you are right. Making more K-on is not their duty. It should be their joy to make more K-on episodes.

Tags
seinen