AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-01, 05:27   Link #21
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Noitamina block animes are usually very good ones. I have 2 which counts as one of my favorites all time Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile and for last year Kuragehime was surprisingly good (I'm not a trap fan) and Shiki also. Fractale shows a lot of premise (episode 3 comes into mind) while Hourou Musuko is something different to see. I always make sure to watch 2-3 noitaminA block shows cus more likely or not they're good.

I'm pretty sure the ratings will go up soon. If not well... its still good shows wether it was watched a lot or not.
Old 2011-02-01, 05:30   Link #22
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
the ratings have been dipping because the shows have been terrible lately.

Production IG's Higashi no Eden had decent visuals, but the writing has been all over the place

Tatami Galaxy is pretentious drivel, while House of 5 leaves was not able to portray the manga successfully.

The manga of Shiki is way better than the anime adaptation.

Hourou Musuko's writing is mediocre so far, and Fractale is one of Yamakan's greater disappointments.

The last good noitaminA show was the Genji adaptation, and even that was above-average at best.

they should just scrap this block already
Both Higashi no Eden and Tatami Galaxy were critically acclaimed with the former winning the 2009 Tokyo International Anime Fair and the latter winning the 2010 Japan Media Arts Festival. So objectively speaking, rating wise they did extremely well. Too bad this success it didn't compute to sales.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 10:31   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Too bad they're not adapting the wonderful "Flat" next season too - it would have made an awesome one-two punch with "Bunny Drop"...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 10:37   Link #24
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Usagi Drop was slated for Summer?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 15:00   Link #25
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Okay, can anyone explain to my why Nodame's ratings dropped so much between season two and three? That doesn't seem like something that can be explained by a change in block content.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 15:14   Link #26
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think the reason for the general decline is pretty obvious--the supposed target audience simply doesn't have much affinity for anime with unrealistic elements of any kind. Basically, the decline of these new shows isn't because of their quality or lack of diversity but because some otaku person at Fuji thought it would be a good idea to introduce otaku anime to the general public. This never works well.
The charts don't even come close to supporting that so called "obvious conclusion" and the second conclusion has nothing to do with the first and has even less to back it up.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 15:43   Link #27
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
The charts don't even come close to supporting that so called "obvious conclusion" and the second conclusion has nothing to do with the first and has even less to back it up.
The lower tier shows have definitely more "fantasy" elements to them, but sure, maybe I was a bit hasty there. My logic goes like this: Shiki = vampires, Fractale = sci-fi, Hourou Musuko and Kuragehime = good concepts gone south (=perceived to be otaku pandering). Higher tier shows like Nodame Cantabile and Hakaba Kitaro had strong franchises backing them up already, then you have realism and shoujo/josei shows as middle tier. Fujoshi and women supposedly were early supporters of this programming block, maybe they moved on? I'd love to hear other lines of thought though!
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 00:42   Link #28
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Okay, can anyone explain to my why Nodame's ratings dropped so much between season two and three? That doesn't seem like something that can be explained by a change in block content.
(and @ cyth)
Just a theory, but perhaps the general movement from watching on TV to watch-on-demand (legally or otherwise) might be a factor?

Another possibility for Nodame's fall is that long-time fans may have ranked the anime as being less interesting than both the live-action and the manga. That's certainly the case for me (manga >> live-action >>>>>>> anime).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 10:39   Link #29
_gallo_

Quote:
The lower tier shows have definitely more "fantasy" elements to them, but sure, maybe I was a bit hasty there. My logic goes like this: Shiki = vampires, Fractale = sci-fi, Hourou Musuko and Kuragehime = good concepts gone south (=perceived to be otaku pandering). Higher tier shows like Nodame Cantabile and Hakaba Kitaro had strong franchises backing them up already, then you have realism and shoujo/josei shows as middle tier. Fujoshi and women supposedly were early supporters of this programming block, maybe they moved on? I'd love to hear other lines of thought though!
Well perhaps what audience is looking for is some coherency over the typology of anime aired in a tv block. As far as I remember when Noitamina started it was mostly shojo and josei adaptations. People who loved these kind of stories started to watch anime on FujiTV because they knew more or less what to expect season by season. This is not to say that josei are more or less equal, but still you can feel more affinity between Usagi Drop and Hachikuro rather than Hachikuro and Trapeze. What Noitamina tried to do in my opinion was to make more different (genre-wise, story-wise) the anime aired in the tv block, perhaps to capitalize on the initial success. This has jeopardized the Tv ratings as the old audience don’t know what to expect anymore and prefer to skip the entire thing. Anime fans didn’t change their habits since they’re already accustomed with different genres, but a consistent share of noitamina audience was composed of casual viewers a now FujiTv seems to have lost them.
It’s not a perfectly explanatory reason, since there are some anime not josei based which have done good, and some josei adaptations that got lemons. But I’m wondering if by sticking only to josei adaptations the situation would have been different today.
Then there were also some bad choices. Antique Bakery was to keen on fujioshis' fantsies, TM 8.0 was ruined by a poorly execution, Nodame Cantabile was spoiled by the direction of the second season etc etc etc.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 18:18   Link #30
Destinyblade

Quote:
the ratings have been dipping because the shows have been terrible lately.
Ratings and subjective views of a show's quality don't usually match.

Most would say that Gundam SEED Destiny was awful, and yet that was a ratings success in Japan. And the same can be said for the reverse: a show can be seen as very well written or have interesting concepts, but that doesn't mean it'll win people's eyeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth
I don't watch a lot of Noitamina shows myself, but I don't think fantasy elements is necessarily what turn off viewers. Didn't Moyashimon have a guy that could see microogranisms? That's fantasy, and that show was among the highest rated in the block's history. Of course, Moyashimon probably didn't get detailed or focused on that part of the show (which is what most shounen titles do these days), but that should be proof that an anime doesn't need to be all realism to succeed on the block.

As for Noitamina becoming more otaku-ish, I can't really comment. However, it does remind me a little of why doroku failed. That timeslot started off with kid friendly shows that could appeal to an older audience (teenagers). But after SEED Destiny, they decided to drop the kid fanbase and went with seinen, half-empty shows like Blood+ and its successors. Why can't the producers understand the demographics of the timeslots they're in charge of?

Last edited by Destinyblade; 2011-02-02 at 18:32.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 13:03   Link #31
Isegrim

Today's Japan Times features an article about the Noitamina timeslot: Anime's late, late show
Old 2011-02-03, 13:29   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan Times
Most Noitamina works average a respectable rating of around 4.
Ah, if that were only still true....

Nakamura Kenji and company are up again soon with a story about "power and money?" I wasn't a Trapeze fan, but I look forward to anything these guys put out. Looks like he's jumping ship from Toei to Tatsunoko, too.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 14:02   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
Today's Japan Times features an article about the Noitamina timeslot: Anime's late, late show
That article must clearly be bogus - it doesn't say the world is coming to an end.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 17:37   Link #34
antigone

C is the last chance for noitaminA to redeem itself. if it fails i can see the block getting cancelled in 2012. Usagi drop won't save it. The source material is preachy, to the point of being dragged and burdensome.

And to the one mentioning that Tatami and Eden won awards. Don't forget gundam Seed won an award as well and we know how good it was *sarcasm*

Awards are overrated.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 14:40   Link #35
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Hourou Musuko and Kuragehime = good concepts gone south (=perceived to be otaku pandering)
If anyone thinks that Hourou Musuko is 'otaku pandering' then they've either never seen it or they don't understand what it's about.

Hourou Musuko is, for me, the closest thing to what Noitamina should be about, as is Usagi Drop. Intelligent shows, not the same old rubbish you can get anywhere else.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 17:29   Link #36
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
C is the last chance for noitaminA to redeem itself. if it fails i can see the block getting cancelled in 2012. Usagi drop won't save it. The source material is preachy, to the point of being dragged and burdensome.
I'm not sure I should even bother replying since you seem to be trolling about everywhere, but anyway.

Usagi Drop is much more likely to give the timeslot a boost. Alright, C is Nakamura Kenji, and you'd assume it would lure people in since Mononoke did great, but we know how Kuuchuu Buranko turned out.
UsaDro, on the other hand... I can only see the live-action movie as a future success, what with Matsuyama Kenichi and Ishida Mana (probably the most popular child actress right now?) starring. Now the only issue might be whether the audience even realizes an anime is being produced... I sure wonder if it'll get some advertizing in theaters, this might just bring many of the josei watchers back.

Ratings for this week are out: 2.1%. Better than the previous three weeks, but still far from being satisfying for the timeslot. I suspect it won't get much higher than this by the end of the season... and the DVD/BD sales aren't even looking bright for both Fractale and Hourou Musuko, are they?
Old 2011-02-05, 02:55   Link #37
Destinyblade

Quote:
And to the one mentioning that Tatami and Eden won awards. Don't forget gundam Seed won an award as well and we know how good it was *sarcasm*

Awards are overrated.
Again, perceived quality of a show and ratings don't usually match. That's true for both Japan and America. Heck, it's true for the entire world.

I would agree with your little sarcasm for SEED Destiny, though I thought SEED was done very well and remains one of my more enjoyable animes. Of course, everyone's opinion will be different (especially for those who watched the original, since SEED pretty much copied the original's storyline at the beginning).

If the ratings do continue like this, hopefully the worst that happens is that Fuji retracts it back to just the one 30 minute timeslot and not cancel it completely. Although I haven't watched a lot of NoitaminA shows, it's still a lot better than most of the typical late night ones that center around cute girls, harems, and all sorts of fanservice as its main draw. At least this block tries to bring in interesting ideas, ideas that you may not even think about until you see a show on there.

BTW, I wonder why Fuji TV combines the ratings when they have an hour block of anime. They did the same thing when KochiKame and One Piece were Anime7. To make sure that both shows get the same amount of sponsor money?
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 06:40   Link #38
Dop
Mmmm....

I was wondering about the combined ratings. What would happen if you had one show that was popular, and one show that was unpopular, so lots of people watched show A but not so many watched show B. Would show B drag down show A's ratings?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 11:55   Link #39
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I was wondering about the combined ratings. What would happen if you had one show that was popular, and one show that was unpopular, so lots of people watched show A but not so many watched show B. Would show B drag down show A's ratings?
Yes, it would. This happened with Tatami Galaxy and Five Leaves. Five Leaves bombed while Tatami Galaxy did well.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 14:55   Link #40
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so 1.5%..

is it the worse one?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote