AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 8.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 17.65%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 16.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 5.88%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.47%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-13, 15:04   Link #81
Slick_rick

This episode was horrible. I had forgotten how much I had hated last week's episode so I was actually excited to watch the show. That is until I opened up the file and realized it was a continuation of the past episode and all the bad memories came flooding back.

These two episodes have damaged the story because you have to wonder if the alien invasion is that important or they truly are professional soldiers when they have time to go beach hopping during such times. I didn't have a problem with Yuuya in these episodes, he seemed to be still him but the female characters, mainly Yui, became shallow and incompetent. I think the writers forgot that she was his superior officer and had front fighting experience because of how lost she looked all the time. Cryska was just too random for me to even comprehend what was going on with her.

These episode hopefully was a glimpse into an alternate universe with has no bearing on the rest of the story. Like last weeks episode I just put this in my brain's trash can and hopefully never need to remember its existence.
Old 2012-08-13, 20:00   Link #82
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

One thing I'd like to point out about this pair of episodes. While I have been epically unimpressed by the way the romance is playing out according to bog-standard high-school romance tropes, the underlying idea of the characters ending up doing this photo shoot in the first place isn't so out of place as, I think, some of the commentators in this thread are saying.

Basically, what it amounts to is, the group is participating in a morale-building and publicity operation not at all unlike a USO performance as happened in real life. The significant difference is that it's actual military operatives who are being used as performers, rather than professional entertainers, which seems odd...until you stop and realize that it's very likely that in the MLA universe, which has been under siege by alien invaders for thirty-plus years at this point in the timeline, the entertainment industry isn't all that robust (seriously, even in America, where BETA isn't actually knocking on their doors, I can't believe society is spending that much time and energy on Hollywood. Remember, eg., they haven't even invented video games!). Consider also that Argos Flight and Idar Flight were deliberately stated in Ep. 6 to have been assigned this job at least partially out of punishment for the Ep. 3 incident that nearly wiped out Yuuya and Vincent's transport, and then consider also that however important Project PROMINENCE might be for the future, it's also a unit of pilots that spends its time zipping around Alaska instead of actually fighting BETA on the frontlines, and the whole thing becomes a lot more reasonable.

(The focus on female fanservice for the male gaze, though, isn't. Given the number of women in the frontlines, Yuuya ought to have been there in a Speedo in the final scenes right alongside Yui and Cryska. There's a case where the desire to cater to the audience of the anime appears to have overcome the in-universe logic concerning the overall production...which, come to think of it, is pretty much the same problem that hit Yui and Yuuya's romance!)
Old 2012-08-13, 20:44   Link #83
rafael1932
claymores pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRavager View Post
Not really the best thread in which to say this, but leaving aside any information from other sources, focusing only on the anime, it was never stated that Japanese mecha are better than American. Neither are they in fact better than American mecha. It's even stated in the anime that the engines on the best the Japanese have to offer besides the Takemi (Type-94-1C) have outright inferior performance to those on the Strike Eagle and have to get around the limitation by rigorous control with supplementary control surfaces. When they said that American TSFs use brute thruster power to maneuver, that wasn't saying they were inferior to oh so elegant Shiranui, that was acknowledging an area in which they were definitely superior because they had superior thrust to weight ratio and can maneuver with thrusters alone. On the flip side the Shiranui is by Yuuya's account much twitchier and sensitive than the Strike Eagle, hence arguably very responsive and maneuverable if handled properly even if engine power is inferior.

That's why Yuuya spend a whole story arc trying to get a handle on the Fubuki and Shiranui, because they handle completely differently from what he's used to. They pretty much are arguably "better at doing other stuff" from each other.
Your explanation is right but there is something odd.

If you are a captain like she was, she would do the best for her pilots. If she believes that the American mecha is better than the Japanese one, then she would do nothing because the guy would be more efficient with the mecha that he always uses. So if she forces him to use a different mecha in a life / death situation that means that she believes that the Japanese mecha is better in the end and is the difference between life and death. So, Japanese mecha is better than American mecha. Lets not forget that she has combat experience and he has none which means that newbie should listen what the older ones have to say like in any war. I think this is what I was trying to say.
Old 2012-08-13, 20:55   Link #84
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I see a lot of misconceptions about muvluv, while some are the viewer's fault (like complaints directed at the last scene when in the previous episode thye made it pretty clear one of the reasons they went to the island was for that last scene to happen) I want to blame the director..
No. IMHO it's not the audience’s fault that they (me included) don’t like the ending scene. It’s the scriptwriter's fault due to bad writing. My complain is not for the planned photo-shooting by the military, but how badly-written that ending is. One major example: two female russian soldiers had to wear Japanese school-swimsuit for a photo session which supposedly for international purpose? Tell me that’s not just a marketing excuse to draw the attention of the otakus. Tell me that there’s some logic in it.
Old 2012-08-13, 21:41   Link #85
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
If the personality of Yui would have changed in a more pausated way... but noooo... in one chapter.

The guy hasnt done anything to trigger such an effect, and the chick goes tsun tsun... bleh. Hope next week is action packed, bloody and disturbing as Alternative universe should be.
Yui's soft side already exist in EP1 and EP2 e.g. Yui cried when she saw a mother and her new born baby. Mother and baby scene may relate with Yui's deep desire.

I don't think Yui's mental shield is sustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This episode was downright terrible. Yui's personality degenerated from a strong-willed but overly judgmental soldier to a stereotypical "class rep" tsundere.
Yui's soft side already exist in EP1 and EP2 e.g. Yui cried when she saw a mother and her new born baby, unable to make hard choices for her team mate's mercy shoot.
Read the manga issue 1 for Yui's time between EP2 and EP3.

It was mentioned in anime that Yui follows her father's footsteps i.e. a TSF designer. Yui is not a professional battle-hardened soldier with "devoid of emotions" i.e. Yui a tech/yellow shirt engineering or blue shirt science (StarTrek TNG speak).

Last edited by encia; 2012-08-13 at 22:02.
Old 2012-08-13, 23:41   Link #86
Destined_Fate

Yui still has a lot of combat experience though, she didn't retire completely from fighting as she has shown when she trashed Yuuya's team with ease.
Old 2012-08-14, 00:19   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I understand and accept (and even enjoy, to a degree) that sex appeal is a significant part of this show. It's true that such sex appeal was there even in the very first episode, given the design of those skin-tight plug-suits.

Depending on how you execute it, sex appeal can work in almost any anime show. I don't have a problem with the sex appeal, per se.

But while some ways of doing sex appeal don't degrade characters, there are other ways that can make characters seem somewhat cheapened, imo.

The sad thing is that, in my opinion, Muv-Luv had actually been doing a really good job of having sex appeal without cheapening its female characters...until this episode. That's partly why I found the final scene of this episode so very disappointing, because Muv-Luv had consistently shown the skill necessary to pull off sex appeal in a much better way than this.

Having Yui walk around in a sleek, one-piece blue swimsuit for a full episode is no big deal. Same thing with what Cryska wore on the deserted island. It fits the setting, and if the male characters don't act obnoxious over it, you simply have a nice visual. A couple slightly lingering panning shots, and the fanservice is there for those that want it, while it remains subtle enough that it doesn't bother those that aren't particularly interested in it. It's win-win.

But the final scene of this episode is delivered with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, polarizing viewers in a way that simply isn't necessary. Given the premise and setting of this anime, it truly does seem horribly out of place to me.

Now, if there was a fashion show exhibit that was planned for this beach getaway right from the start, I had honestly forgotten that. But I don't take full blame for that because Mr. Duke Nukem there acted as though Yui had to show off herself as "punishment" for getting shipwrecked... which is just absurd. Also, why would you need such a pretext if you already had a fashion show exhibit planned from the start?

Anyway, I'm going to try to forget this episode, and if the anime starts going in a good direction starting next episode, I should be able to. Yui's character can still recover from this, but I really hope that she doesn't become this over-the-top of a tsundere on a lasting basis.
Old 2012-08-14, 00:36   Link #88
Darthtabby

Anybody think there should be a cut of this episode that eliminates everything between 19:24 and the end credits?
Old 2012-08-14, 00:55   Link #89
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Yui still has a lot of combat experience though, she didn't retire completely from fighting as she has shown when she trashed Yuuya's team with ease.
I didn't state Yui was a rookie/newbie with TSF combat.

Limiting US TSFs's main weapons doesn't equate as a real combat test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3-VkbRSKQ Emmm, mod'ing Total War BETA vs TSFs..............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Anybody think there should be a cut of this episode that eliminates everything between 19:24 and the end credits?
Yui's singling Yuuya out reveals her inner thoughts and preoccupation. Males are not the only ones with a libido i.e. for Yui, refer to new born baby+young mother+Yui's break-down scene in EP02 as an example.

IRL, when a disaster strikes, a baby boom may occur e.g. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-510428.html (Post Sept. 11).

Also, Yui may be competing against Cryska and later realise Her own modesty limitations i.e. Yui is a "hime" (Princess/Lady).

Last edited by encia; 2012-08-14 at 02:46.
Old 2012-08-14, 01:11   Link #90
Timsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Yui'
It was mentioned in anime that Yui follows her father's footsteps i.e. a TSF designer. Yui is not a professional battle-hardened soldier with "devoid of emotions" i.e. Yui a tech/yellow shirt engineering or blue shirt science (StarTrek TNG speak).
No, this is incorrect. Yui following not her father`s path but uncle Iwaya.
Spoiler for Comparison to the beginning of the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-14 at 23:55.
Old 2012-08-14, 01:50   Link #91
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsel View Post
No, this is incorrect. Yui following not her father`s path but uncle Iwaya.
Spoiler for Comparison to the beginning of the novel:
No, this is incorrect for anime EP01 (via Crunchyroll's subs), it's her father for Zuikaku Type 82

CR's EP01 03:29,
: Wasn't the Zuikaku the unit your father help develop?
Yui: Yes

CR's EP06 06:14
Yui: In a way, I attained my goal. But I badly wounded the hearts of the other Eishi. The Active Eagle isn't even made for close range combat...
Yui: If I'm letting this get to me, I'll be a failure as a development chief.

Note the change of approach.

The development team could involve, hardware engineers, software engineers, process analyst, system analyst, business analyst, system architects, component testers, end-user testers and 'etc'.

Yui's role is at higher level may avoid boiler level work, but Yui was shown to be studying a prototype rail gun schematics. Yui is not a normal pure fighting soldier. More complex systems would involve more diverse skill sets.

Yui's character remind me of StarGate 1's Samantha Carter** instead of Jack O'Neil.
**Attactive woman, an air-force pilot (e.g. over 100 hours in enemy airspace) with a science background (e.g. Ph.D. in theoretical astrophysics). Like Yui, Samantha has dreams of family and children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Carter

Calling Japanese TSF as junk may insult Yui's family honor. Family honor would be important for "Yui-hime".

PS; Note that, non-anime source information is banned this forum topic. This topic is not a free flow discussion i.e. limited to anime only.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-14 at 23:55.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:31   Link #92
Timsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post

CR's EP06 06:14
Yui: In a way, I attained my goal. But I badly wounded the hearts of the other Eishi. The Active Eagle isn't even made for close range combat...
Yui: If I'm letting this get to me, I'll be a failure as a development chief.
I think that it is bad wording in translation. There is a huge difference in army commander-battle pilot and technical designer.
Yui said it as if she is worrying about morale of her subordinate pilots. But do you think that technical designer could be flight commander?
Development chief here must mean not chief technical designer (hey, we are speaking here about 17 year old lieutenant with big hmmm... eyes ) - that would be old man, scientist as Frank Heynemann from 3 serie.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:47   Link #93
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This episode was downright terrible. Yui's personality degenerated from a strong-willed but overly judgmental soldier to a stereotypical "class rep" tsundere.
It only proves she's:

1. a human

Everyone has a soft side.... even if for a tyrant.

2. a girl

All females fall in love... at least one's in their life.
Old 2012-08-14, 03:16   Link #94
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The change appeared sudden. And Yui starting to question herself in the episode before hardly cut it.
Old 2012-08-14, 03:39   Link #95
encia

Quote:
I think that it is bad wording in translation. There is a huge difference in army commander-battle pilot and technical designer.
Yui said it as if she is worrying about morale of her subordinate pilots. But do you think that technical designer could be flight commander?
Yes, IRL http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...etraeus10.html

"Petraeus' Iraq staff armed with lots of Ph.D."

"smart colonels who have been noticed by Petraeus, and who make up one of the most select clubs in the world: military officers with doctorates from top-flight universities and combat experience in Iraq."

If you want the best army in the world, you would stack your army with the best personnel.

Notice IRL is following StarTrek's Starfleet's educated bias personnel.

Quote:
Development chief here must mean not chief technical designer (hey, we are speaking here about 17 year old lieutenant with big hmmm... eyes ) - that would be old man, scientist as Frank Heynemann from 3 serie.
Let's hope Yui is not one of the "gifted" children.
Old 2012-08-14, 04:05   Link #96
Friday
Im shy too...

weak poor episode....

on with (at last!!!!!) a battle
Old 2012-08-14, 06:06   Link #97
raziel16

they just swap the 1 piece to 2 piece and 2 piece to... school swimsuit. + a loli in school swimsuit. This episode is made purely to satisfy all those fetish bastard out there

But Yuyaa really hit the mark here
Yui: "since I'm Japanese, you and I will never get along!"
Yuuya: "did you want to get along with ME?"
Yui: !!! <-- 10 points for Yuuya
Old 2012-08-14, 07:53   Link #98
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I rarely ever comment on threads like these but I am just so disappointed with the direction this series has taken. I really hope it manages to get back to what it was during the first couple episodes at some point. I was on the edge of my seat for all of episode 2 and now I feel myself losing interest every week as the focus changes from desperate invasion situation to lighthearted training exercises to tsundere antics. Not to say I hate harem romances as I'm currently also watching several, but I had really hoped based on the series' beginning that it would be something different.

[mod edit: remove comment about rep...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-14 at 23:54.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:48   Link #99
demonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel16 View Post
they just swap the 1 piece to 2 piece and 2 piece to... school swimsuit. + a loli in school swimsuit. This episode is made purely to satisfy all those fetish bastard out there

But Yuyaa really hit the mark here
Yui: "since I'm Japanese, you and I will never get along!"
Yuuya: "did you want to get along with ME?"
Yui: !!! <-- 10 points for Yuuya
genius yuuya is genius
Old 2012-08-14, 11:28   Link #100
Arya

Well, I understand all the complains about the episode. I guess it all depends on the expectations each of us has from a show or, in this case, from an episode, as usual. But, at least for me, the previous episode had been quite eloquent in what that itself and this one episode would have been about.
The previous episode started with a big bold yellow writing warning us how the contents of the episodes that followed would have been something silly, clichèd and whatever. I repeat myself here, but when I saw VG going in peeping mode I almost facepalmed. The only thing he was missing was a bamboo cane through which to breathe
So everything that came after that didn't surprise me. Not that I'm justify anything, but I was able to watch the episode for what it was. And letting aside all the clichè used, the thing that standed out the most was Yui change of her personality, I mean it has been to fast, and now I don't know how they'll handle her in the next episodes. That's what worry me the most. Do they let her go back and forth from tsun to dere every time she will interact with Yuuya?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Closed Thread