AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-24, 15:17   Link #1841
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
What's interesting is that the Blu-Ray far outsells the DVD. Which I believe is not usually the trend.
In the Japanese anime market, it typically is now, especially for shows that are popular in the core market. You can check the sales figures but most late-night shows and movies popular with that demographic are at least 1:1 ratio Blu-Ray to DVD, with many doing 2:1 or more. The further you deviate from the core audience, the better DVDs tend to do (because, we can assume, only the more hardcore fans are willing to spend the extra to invest in Blu-Ray).
Old 2010-12-25, 04:19   Link #1842
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Totally agree.

I don't think that an author takes this long to put out the 10th volume of a long-running light novel series unless he's ran into a rather nasty writer's block.

While wrapping everything up in Volume 10 would likely make it feel very rushed and possibly dissatisfying, it might well be that Tanigawa is just running out of ideas.
I tend to that think it was a fight with the editors over some aspect of Surprise (such as, say, Tanigawa wanting to put in something completely NSFW) that led to this block. We'll never hear about it though because that's the way japan tends to work.
Old 2010-12-25, 04:21   Link #1843
Clarste
Human

Even if it was writer's block, that doesn't mean it's still writer's block. For all we know he spent the time finding inspiration for and planning out another 10 books.
Old 2010-12-25, 12:34   Link #1844
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Totally agree.

I don't think that an author takes this long to put out the 10th volume of a long-running light novel series unless he's ran into a rather nasty writer's block.

While wrapping everything up in Volume 10 would likely make it feel very rushed and possibly dissatisfying, it might well be that Tanigawa is just running out of ideas.
To be honest though, there is nothing unusual about an author taking years to publish a new book. There doesn't need to be some horrible reason for the delay; it occurs so regularly amongst authors that really, we can't draw any conclusions from a hiatus.
Old 2010-12-25, 14:49   Link #1845
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I tend to that think it was a fight with the editors over some aspect of Surprise (such as, say, Tanigawa wanting to put in something completely NSFW) that led to this block. We'll never hear about it though because that's the way japan tends to work.
That's certainly possible, and an interesting theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Even if it was writer's block, that doesn't mean it's still writer's block. For all we know he spent the time finding inspiration for and planning out another 10 books.
Fair enough. But I just think that people should stop automatically assuming that there's definitely going to be more than 10 books. There might very well not be, and I don't see the point in a person setting himself or herself up for disappointment (believe me, I've been there before; it's better if you can avoid it).

I hope that there is more than 10 books, but I no longer think that it's something that should just be assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
To be honest though, there is nothing unusual about an author taking years to publish a new book.
Depends on if the book is from a long-running existing series or not, and furthermore if that series is popular or not. In this case, the book would be from a long-running existing series, and it is a popular series. I mean, I don't recall Harry Potter having a layoff between two of its installments that was this great in length.

Let's be honest here - the ideal time (commercially speaking) for Novel 10 to have come out would have probably been sometime around (i.e. within a month or two) of the theatrical release of the Disappearance Movie. With the Disappearance Movie recapturing substantial broad interest in the Haruhi source material narrative, it would have been the perfect time for Haruhi Novel 10 to hit the stands.

Quote:
There doesn't need to be some horrible reason for the delay; it occurs so regularly amongst authors that really, we can't draw any conclusions from a hiatus.
I think that there's room for reasonable speculation.

I hope that there's several more novels, and that they all come out steadily one after another. But I'm not going to be getting overly optimistic here.
Old 2010-12-25, 22:36   Link #1846
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Depends on if the book is from a long-running existing series or not, and furthermore if that series is popular or not. In this case, the book would be from a long-running existing series, and it is a popular series. I mean, I don't recall Harry Potter having a layoff between two of its installments that was this great in length.
Yeah, there was a three year gap in the Harry potter series between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, not quite as long, but still pretty comparable in the broad strokes.
Old 2010-12-25, 23:20   Link #1847
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Let's be honest here - the ideal time (commercially speaking) for Novel 10 to have come out would have probably been sometime around (i.e. within a month or two) of the theatrical release of the Disappearance Movie. With the Disappearance Movie recapturing substantial broad interest in the Haruhi source material narrative, it would have been the perfect time for Haruhi Novel 10 to hit the stands.
It doesn't matter how popular a series is; the book would be published when it is written. And it is certainly pointless to talk about when is the ideal time to release a book for commercial success since, as I just said, books don't get written on cue.

A book release might be delayed in order to match a release date, but you can't push an incomplete book out before it is finished. Novels aren't made in a production-line.
If an author could release novels like clockwork, I certainly haven't heard of one.
Old 2010-12-25, 23:30   Link #1848
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
If an author could release novels like clockwork, I certainly haven't heard of one.
Not a good one, anyway.
Old 2010-12-25, 23:47   Link #1849
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
I think NisiOisiN did this with Katanagatari - one volume each month for a year^^.

I also think that 3 years is no big gap for a book...and the gaps between the US releases annoy me more, because they only have to translate the novels^^.
Old 2010-12-26, 00:38   Link #1850
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
I also think that 3 years is no big gap for a book...and the gaps between the US releases annoy me more, because they only have to translate the novels^^.
I am going to ignore a number of details here on purpose but, the 6 month delay is intentional on their part to prevent market saturation and to keep sales up. They said this at the NYCC panel. I went and asked later about why the Haruhi novels had a longer delay and the response was "I think the translation came in late for that volume. It should keep its new schedule. "
Old 2010-12-26, 03:53   Link #1851
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Nisio Isin, mentioned above, once wrote an entire in three days, all without sleep.

Kazuma Kamachi, the author of the To Aru Majutsu no Index series, has released 24 books over the past 6 years.

It can be done.
Old 2010-12-26, 15:23   Link #1852
Rungelunge

It's just me who thinks they are postponing the last novel because something will happens to Nagato? And I don't say this as a spoiler because I only have read until Disappearance. But if I was Kadokawa and something will happens to Nagato (maybe becoming the enemy?), I would wait to animate Disappearance, and make the most of the merchandising I can before releasing the polemic novel.

About the movie, it's so difficult to review a movie as Disappearance, I can't find words to describe what this movie made me feel. After watching such a beautiful animation, music, story... I feel strange because I only can think: Did I just see the best this franchise can do?
I really hope not.

Last edited by Rungelunge; 2010-12-26 at 15:35.
Old 2011-01-08, 17:20   Link #1853
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask but does anyone know when America will be releasing this film? I just discovered Haruhi and fairly enjoy the show.
Old 2011-01-08, 18:24   Link #1854
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannadDango View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask but does anyone know when America will be releasing this film? I just discovered Haruhi and fairly enjoy the show.
There's no date announced yet for the film's release, though it's pretty safe to say it'll be late 2011. Maybe even a Summer release.
Old 2011-01-08, 18:33   Link #1855
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's no date announced yet for the film's release, though it's pretty safe to say it'll be late 2011. Maybe even a Summer release.
Oh thanks. I missed the VIZ screening of it when it was in town so I have to wait for the release.
Old 2011-01-18, 02:08   Link #1856
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannadDango View Post
Oh thanks. I missed the VIZ screening of it when it was in town so I have to wait for the release.
Wait, they screened the movie in your locale? Why can't the tiny red dot I live in have such awesome things?
Old 2011-01-18, 07:40   Link #1857
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Wait, they screened the movie in your locale? Why can't the tiny red dot I live in have such awesome things?
Actually, they did.
Old 2011-01-18, 13:07   Link #1858
wistfulloner

Quote:
Actually, they did.
God, if they did, I totally missed it. Where in this little city did they show it in?
Old 2011-01-18, 21:55   Link #1859
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
God, if they did, I totally missed it. Where in this little city did they show it in?
They showed it during the Anime Festival Asia (AFA) last november at Suntec City. I did watch it there, although I regretted it because the venue was horrible (horrible seating, lighting, sound... You get the drift). The week after that it had a one week airing at Sinema@Old School at Mount Sophia (Near Plaza Singapura) I watched it there as well, not being satisfied with my first viewing at the AFA.

It's totally understandable that you didn't know about it, I don't think it was publicized very well. I myself got to know of it from Koizumi here who posts all the juicy Disappearance related news
Old 2011-01-19, 00:14   Link #1860
wistfulloner

Quote:
They showed it during the Anime Festival Asia (AFA) last november at Suntec City. I did watch it there, although I regretted it because the venue was horrible (horrible seating, lighting, sound... You get the drift). The week after that it had a one week airing at Sinema@Old School at Mount Sophia (Near Plaza Singapura) I watched it there as well, not being satisfied with my first viewing at the AFA.

It's totally understandable that you didn't know about it, I don't think it was publicized very well. I myself got to know of it from Koizumi here who posts all the juicy Disappearance related news
That sounds too awesome. I watched the DVD, but, it just isn't the same watching it alone...
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen