AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-18, 09:11   Link #161
Silver-Throne
Big Game
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Found it. It was in Volume 2, Chapter 3 pg 171

Remember the long sword that Houki had in the anime (was it short in the anime)? That sword was sent by her parents. The novel didn't specify when or why, so I assume it wasn't for Houki's birthday or the symbol of succession to Shinonono's School (Do they need a woman or man to succeed the family?). It is said that the sword is longer than ordinary sword, and it is to accompany a certain Woman Warrior. If the woman of Shinonono Household is indeed originated from this Woman Warrior, that justifies their height, as the sword is looooooong. Boobs size may not apply

The sword name is '緋宵' -Akeyoi- (Scarlet Evening), crafted by master sword smith, Akaru Giyou (明動陽) in his last years. It was passed down from generation to generation since the Edo period. Akaru moved to Hidayama where he spend his lifetime developing "The Sword for Woman" 「女のための刀」 for 'Woman to beat Man' 「女が男を倒す」 after he met his wife. He arrived at two conclusions.
I'll let Teh_Ping translates that part . But in short, both involve drawing your sword fast (flash and flicker).

The question now is, how did the sword ends up with the Shinonono? (marriage?). I'm speculating that from those 2 "Conclusions" the Shinonono's ancestors derived their dual sword technique. And because both of the "Conclusions' involved 'Speed', Tabane created AkaTsubaki to comply with her family sword school.

Now compare to volume 4, before Houki performs the Kagura. She holds the Shinonono Treasured Sword on her right hand, while the folding fan which was always in her possession on her left hand. This [一刀一扇] "Ittou Issen" (One Sword One Folding Fan) stance was derived from [一刀一閃] Ittou Issen (One Stroke in a Flash). The left hand is for 'Defense', 'Sink', and 'Judge', while the right hand is for 'Behead', 'Cut', and 'Pierce'. The novel said it was one of the shape of Shinonono's Sword School, meaning there are probably more branches for the family (One Sword, Priestess etc)
Yes it was a word play for 'Ittou Issen', that's why people should read LNs in the way they are meant to, in Japanese.

I'll be surprised if the upcoming OVA will include the Kagura dance, because I don't think Japanese Otakus care about their tradition and culture runs ε=ε=ε=ε=ヽ(* ̄∇ ̄)ノ
yes of course i remember that..
Old 2011-07-18, 09:24   Link #162
justpassingby

Hmm, something funny happens if you try google translate '緋宵' -Akeyoi- (Scarlet Evening). Google will give you "Hangover". I'm not aware if this a new word or something in the latest revision of Japanese Dictionary lol

But, this could explain why Houki is "indulge/drown" with power. Or it's just a pun to Houki being drunk at the end of volume 7.

Or may be Houki been dancing to the wrong dance her whole life that made the 'tsun' part of her personality
Old 2011-07-18, 12:29   Link #163
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Hmm, something funny happens if you try google translate '緋宵' -Akeyoi- (Scarlet Evening). Google will give you "Hangover". I'm not aware if this a new word or something in the latest revision of Japanese Dictionary lol

But, this could explain why Houki is "indulge/drown" with power. Or it's just a pun to Houki being drunk at the end of volume 7.

Or may be Houki been dancing to the wrong dance her whole life that made the 'tsun' part of her personality
I'm perfectly okay with any of those possibilities.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:08   Link #164
justpassingby

I don't believe Houki, or any other girls her age, would purposely 'jumped' into something that makes you crave for power. Well, it's not like Houki can choose her own family, or her own name, or choose not to be Tabane's sister. I think the only people that you can call relatives that show kindness to Houki is Aunt Yukiko, so kudos to 8-bit if they include her in the OVA

神楽 Kagura (literally Gods' Entertainment). For a family that has their own shrine, I'm going to take that the Shinonono also believe in "Possession". So Houki's problem might stems from overdependence or overuse of her family swords (the sword and the techniques) that they sometime 'possessed' her. Still unsure if Tabane also having the same problem, because in vol 2 epilogue, the novel says Tabane never did any sports, and in vol 4, when Houki was reminiscing about the pasts, only her, Chifuyu, and Ichika were together at the dojo, though in Houki's album the four of them are in the picture. More plaudits to 8-bits if they show how Tabane actually looks like in a 'family' photo

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-07-20 at 11:20.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:44   Link #165
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Sometimes I feel like you're not Just Passing By You're more like this RSS Feed delivering great, non-spoilerific content every now and then.

Always a great read
Old 2011-08-10, 21:59   Link #166
justpassingby

Hmm, it looks like I made a little, silly mistake. Houki only hit Tabane with a single sword sheath, not two. Well, it doesn't specify any number, but I guess I mistaken "Nihontou" as "2" for reading it too fast. Sorry

But all other details are the same. Some other parts that were omitted:

Houki carried Uchigane's spare parts together with her, just like the other 4 girls who carried the parts for their Personal IS. The beach was locked down for the purpose of testing new equipment for IS. (pg 163)
So why did she carried those parts? For me, it is because
- She doesn't want to be treated differently from other personal IS users. She did her own parts, just like she did applied for her own training IS in vol 2.
- may be she thought Akatsubaki was a customizable Uchigane (just like Kanzashi's Uchigane Mk. II), that she needed to bring together the parts

For Tabane's omitted scene:
After she arrived and introduced herself, Chifuyu told the students to ignore her and continue with the testing. When Maya asked Chifuyu what to do, she told her too to ignore Tabane, and help the students. Tabane said Chifuyu is kind, and then she called Maya "おっぱい魔神め" Oppai Majin Me, (Damn Titty Devil) and accused her of deceiving Chifuyu. Tabane then played with Maya's breasts (pg 167). .....

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-08-24 at 20:54. Reason: it was not a personal IS, but training IS, sorry once again
Old 2011-08-11, 08:27   Link #167
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Tabane then played with Maya's breasts (pg 167). .....
ROFL

oh yes.
Old 2011-08-14, 00:34   Link #168
mangatron

Quote:
When Maya asked Chifuyu what to do, she told her too to ignore Tabane, and help the students. Tabane said Chifuyu is kind, and then she called Maya "おっぱい魔神め" Oppai Majin Me, (Damn Titty Devil) and accused her of deceiving Chifuyu.
Aha! That awesome pic of the 3 oneesan's makes sense now the way Maya was looking irritated at Tabane, and it looks like this scene is what began their rivalry

Quote:
Tabane then played with Maya's breasts (pg 167). .....
This would have made the episode more better had it been included

As always thanks for these info
Old 2011-09-01, 04:45   Link #169
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Thank you Houki. Had it not been for you, I would never have tried to learn how to cook Tatsuta-Age (Karaage)...Now to teach it to Charu...
Old 2013-08-09, 01:15   Link #170
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Screw you, author! The main heroine is now reduced to nothing by you!
Old 2013-08-09, 01:33   Link #171
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Screw you, author! The main heroine is now reduced to nothing by you!
Eh? What does this mean? I saw this thread pop up in my subscriptions, and I haven't been in this sub-forum in a long time, but did something change? Wait, if it's a novel spoiler, please don't share. Kinda seems absurd for the main heroine to change. That's as shocking as the time I apparently read about Chifuyu's eggs
Old 2013-08-09, 01:44   Link #172
HasuMasu
*Artist

Houki hasn't really gone through any drastic changes, though.
Old 2013-08-09, 01:49   Link #173
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
Houki hasn't really gone through any drastic changes, though.
Wha? Being reduced to nothing is a drastic change! I would feel terrible if I can't stare upon Houki's boobs I mean body everyday! That's like taking away Chifuyu-nee's oneesan status and turning her into a lolimouto......
Old 2013-08-09, 01:52   Link #174
HasuMasu
*Artist

I've read the novels, she hasn't changed much.
Old 2013-08-09, 01:54   Link #175
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, good for you. But not for us! Once again, people screw up and couldn't developed a decent Tsudere!
Old 2013-08-14, 08:59   Link #176
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

You're implying that Tsundere is actually a viable, healthy personality.

It's not.

That said, excuse me if I'm not too hot on Houki's personality, I'm too busy staring at that hair *drools*
Old 2013-08-14, 09:05   Link #177
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Tsundere is never a healthy personality. Entertaining yes but not healthy. Tsundere usually signifies repressed emotions on a conscious level and denial of one's desires. Though it can also count up to self control generally it's the actual opposite and the person who is taundere lashes out violently, physical or otherwise.
Old 2013-08-14, 09:20   Link #178
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, not healthy, but realistic! Human consist of two part: The Man and The Beast. As I see it, Tsundere is a great person that has the ability to surpass the boundary, both good and bad.
Also, Alastor, we all love Jelly Yui, right?
Old 2013-08-14, 09:45   Link #179
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

There's a separate board for discussing Yui, Fire :/

Also, she has PTSD, which is decidedly not something normal for a 17 year old girl.

On topic, most tsunderes are actually pushing the boundary of how people can react. People like Houki would be considered as someone who needs help, because bouts of homicidal rage coupled with physically beating people with a wooden sword is considered as domestic abuse in most countries.

Not that I mind it in particular, but you'd think that I.S Academy, of all places, would have a staff of councilors on hand. Or a qualified psychologist.
Old 2013-08-14, 09:47   Link #180
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Wait... That counts as PTSD? Not very familiar on the limits of the condition. Though for Houki my analysis is that she was deprived of her childhood rather than actually going through anything traumatic.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters