AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-08-31, 00:57   Link #21
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Two things concerning the trailer:

1. I adore seeing young Alicia, Akira, and Athena.

2. Seems like we can look forward to more lovely Yui Makino singing goodness.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 11:03   Link #22
Woland
Latin Rascal

I added some rough informations in the opening message (to see that silly message of mine moved as the opening of this thread was quite embarrassing )
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 10:01   Link #23
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Youtube version of the trailer:

I like how they keep on changing designs. It gives the series some sort of freshness I can't quite describe, even when I don't particularly like these new designs.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 11:10   Link #24
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Youtube version of the trailer:

I like how they keep on changing designs. It gives the series some sort of freshness I can't quite describe, even when I don't particularly like these new designs.
*whistles*

Wonder if they can maintain that level of quality for a series. Lots of flashbacks to a younger trio of Alicia, Akira and Athena. A crying Alicia due to "Grandma" retiring from ARIA Company? Looks like we can look forward to more development on the mentor/progeny relationship between Alicia and Akari.

Cheers.
Old 2007-09-02, 11:11   Link #25
Js2756
Thread Killer

Just watched the trailer, looks gorgeous even in that tiny screen resolution. Can't wait until this comes out.
Old 2007-09-02, 11:33   Link #26
Woland
Latin Rascal

So Arietta just aired on AT-X (or so is stated on moonphase), any comment by the lucky people who have seen that? (if someone has skipped lucky stars of course )
Old 2007-09-02, 11:41   Link #27
eggplant
Eggplant

Missed out on this morning's Arietta event due to conflict of schedule, but saw the broadcast version on AT-X just now.

Spoiler for Arietta:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 12:46   Link #28
pomps
グ~…

Spoiler for 3rd season:
pomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 13:49   Link #29
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Tehehe, seems like you've been missing out; we've known about it for a few days now:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=53738

I've been drowning in my own happiness concerning ARIA lately, and I can't wait to see Arietta. It's going to be so uber, I know it. @_@
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 17:05   Link #30
Woland
Latin Rascal

I have only seen a few minutes of the OAV, just to get the mood... wonderful as always and the enhanced animation quality (just, as seen in the trailer, took some time to get accustomed with the charades variations, especially with Akari) it's a big plus (like the widescreen).

Spoiler for screenshot:
Old 2007-09-02, 18:10   Link #31
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Watched the OVA. Truly a beautiful job, the redesign of the characters grew on me after a minute or two, and so did the retouch of the background music. All in all, a superb ARIA episode.

Spoiler:

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 20:13   Link #32
aikming

saw the screenshots of the OVA at random curiousity and was bit disappointed with the character quality even though the background setting is excellent.
Old 2007-09-02, 20:26   Link #33
pomps
グ~…

Spoiler for OVA:
Old 2007-09-02, 20:47   Link #34
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Spoiler for OVA:
[Snarky]

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."

[/Snarky]

Cheers.
Old 2007-09-03, 00:15   Link #35
pomps
グ~…

Err, I'm asking why, did they say there's a strict rule or a tradition like that in the company?
Old 2007-09-03, 03:13   Link #36
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Spoiler for OVA:
Spoiler for the above question:

Non spoiler-wise though, the OVA was beautiful. After no new Aria anime for almost a year, it was the perfect return I think. I hope the third series comes soon.
Old 2007-09-04, 09:25   Link #37
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
But then again, we're talking about Aqua here. It's a "perfect world" scenario. Nobody complains about bad business, poverty, problems with crops, natural calamities are non-existent, etc. It makes one wonder if they actually have to work to make a living. I wouldn't be surprised if retiring at the age of 20 is not uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[Snarky]

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."

[/Snarky]

Cheers.
Sith lords? In our Aqua? It's more likely than you think!

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 09:52   Link #38
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

They do have problems in Aqua, especially if you talk about the past. However, these problems are seldom used to make drama, melodrama, angst, etc... the nature of ARIA means that the issues are mostly poignant or subtle.

This is, after all, an anime that is suppose to lighten up your heart.

Scenes like Aika's reaction to her burnt hair, her turbulent relationship with Akira, Alice's initial impressions of Athena, Athena's "dramatic" rescue of Alice during Alice's shadow game, Akari's abduction by a malicious spirit, the loss of Akari's first Gondola, the historic moment when water first filled the canals, the submerged cities, the recording disk that will never be heard (because the recipient is dead), etc... These scenes were points where the anime/manga could have gone horribly wrong had they lingered and overemphasised on the negativity. It is to our boon that they have succeeded in balancing the mood for these scenes. They are neither frivolous nor over-dramatic. It just is.

Aqua is not a perfect world. ARIA has been very clear about this. What makes it so good is that Akari (and to a greater extent, Alicia) can see the silver linings and appreciate things for what they are. The whole point is about "Look on the bright side of life" and not to dwell on the small stuff excessively.

Cheers.
Old 2007-09-04, 10:48   Link #39
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
They do have problems in Aqua, especially if you talk about the past. However, these problems are seldom used to make drama, melodrama, angst, etc... the nature of ARIA means that the issues are mostly poignant or subtle.

Poignant? Usually. Subtle? I wish it were more so.

Quote:
Aqua is not a perfect world. ARIA has been very clear about this. What makes it so good is that Akari (and to a greater extent, Alicia) can see the silver linings and appreciate things for what they are. The whole point is about "Look on the bright side of life" and not to dwell on the small stuff excessively.
Although I must admit that I find Akari, Ai, Aria, and (to a certain extent) Alicia annoying, I've got nothing against (the rest of) ARIA as a story nor Aqua as a setting. My earlier post was more of a guess about the technicalities of their world/system rather than an actual comment on (the lack of) certain elements in the story.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 17:46   Link #40
herbert

Quote:

Scenes like Aika's reaction to her burnt hair, her turbulent relationship with Akira, Alice's initial impressions of Athena, Athena's "dramatic" rescue of Alice during Alice's shadow game, Akari's abduction by a malicious spirit, the loss of Akari's first Gondola, the historic moment when water first filled the canals, the submerged cities, the recording disk that will never be heard (because the recipient is dead), etc... These scenes were points where the anime/manga could have gone horribly wrong had they lingered and overemphasised on the negativity. It is to our boon that they have succeeded in balancing the mood for these scenes. They are neither frivolous nor over-dramatic. It just is.

Cheers.
Exactly. If Aria starts to focus on dark side of the world, it going to be a cheerful Akari tells "happy suffering" to anyone she meets.

Remember the tale told by Akira after Aika found out some Himeya undines talking bad behind Akira? That most people tend to emphasize the unhappy time of their life and to ignore the happy part. Aria characters are just doing differently. They treat happiness and unhappiness equally so they enjoy themselves whenever they can.

Tags
drama, hal, ova, science fiction, seinen, sequel, slice of life