AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-01-28, 05:09   Link #21
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

In my experience overscan is not something you can usually tinker with without going into the service menu, but yes, I suppose zooming out is always an option. I'd argue it to be a rather impractical workaround and that the source issue is still poorly positioned subtitles, though.
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 12:49   Link #22
AjayLikesGaming

well i looked up some stuff about overscan and hardsubs, apparently you can add a border or something that decreases it =S

anyone know anything about that?
AjayLikesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 13:13   Link #23
Vide
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
In see Menclave's subs are hugging the bottom, while Shinsen has raised them.
I definitively prefer Shinsen's approach. Also why I like DVD subtitles.

The reason being that when you have the subtitles too low you need to shift your eyes more to view the whole picture, and it gets really tiresome after a while. You are bound to miss more of the picture when your eyes are fixated at the lowest point on the screen all the time.

I usually raise the subtitles myself if a group is using soft-subtitles, but in cases where that is not possible it can be slightly annoying. Of course I would also prefer it if the groups using soft-subtitles would keep the subtitles higher themselves to avoid having to re-mux all the episodes I watch. Same goes for groups hard-subtitling obviously.
Vide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 13:26   Link #24
windstar!~
C'est la vie...

Send a message via MSN to windstar!~
I don't really care, I mean I'm fine with both ways.
I don't really like very high subtitles though, since they tend to cover important parts.

Groups I'm working for tend to put them at the very bottom, and I'm just fine with that.
windstar!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 13:32   Link #25
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vide View Post
...to avoid having to re-mux all the episodes I watch.
If you feel a bit adventurous, hex editing gets you there as well and may be faster too, depending on how skilled you're with it.

And I do agree with the part where putting the subs higher makes it easier to keep eyes on what's going on the screen. However when they are too low I do tend to look up and down (a constant struggle between trying to read the subs, and watching what's going on), which tends to strain my eyes.
Old 2009-01-28, 22:02   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami-kun View Post
well i looked up some stuff about overscan and hardsubs, apparently you can add a border or something that decreases it
anyone know anything about that?
Take a look at:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=47166

and
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...88#post1158488

These talk about using the program mencoder to embed the video into a frame with black borders. When the framed video is played back, the bottom of the image is now above the overscanned area. The same technique can probably be applied using other video editing tools besides mencoder. It's just the one I'm familiar with, and as part of the mplayer suite, it's open-sourced.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 01:56   Link #27
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
not that I'm trying to argue that using no margins at all is a good thing, in fact you should usually adhere to the standard title safe areas not because it makes stuff overscan safe but because it makes it easier to read; I'm just saying that your arguments are flawed
Thank you for stating that more clearly. That is what I was trying to say with my prior post, though it got misunderstood by a few ppl due to my lack of proper phrasing.

And also why did someone give me bad rep for that... Seriously ppl, if you disagree thats all fine and well, but keep it in the discussion. Don't be a child and go giving ppl bad rep just because you dislike that person. If someone is sharing helpful information and not just attacking others your shouldn't go around giving them bad rep. It's rather pathetic and does not help explain your views on why you do or don't agree with something.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 03:05   Link #28
AjayLikesGaming

Quote:
What you need to do is put black borders around the image. I use mencoder in Linux (there's also a Windows version), so I can't give you precise commands to use for WinAVI. However, if I resize the image to a width of 576, then drop it onto a 640x480 black box to create borders, it plays fine on my standard NTSC television. For 4:3 shows that means resizing to 576x432; for 16:9 I use 576x324.

16:9 shows will always have black bars top and bottom so most of their subs remain intact without any massaging, but you'll be cutting off content on the left and right sides. Some subbers take advantage of the wide-screen format and extend the subs across the full width. That means a couple of words can be cut off on the sides. Resizing with borders fixes that problem.
solved. thanks a lot.
AjayLikesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 05:40   Link #29
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Or you could just use Aegisub's overscan mask.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 07:26   Link #30
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Or you could just use Aegisub's overscan mask.
pretty much, lol.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 22:36   Link #31
Hiei-

Easiest thing is probably just to use a player which able to resize the displayed video on the fly ? (for those who are watching subbed videos on TV)

Like the first XBOX or a Peekbox 3 (or higher), or whatever like that, it's really cheap nowadays.
Hiei- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 08:37   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you take a look at the links I posted you'll see that, for me, resizing the video did nothing to solve the overscan problem. I had to put black borders around the rescaled video to push the subtitles above the overscan region.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 23:02   Link #33
Hiei-

I never had such problems with any videos, as those sorts of players (peekbox/xbox1) are completely rescaling the image on the fly, and to the size of my choice, so I can even make the video 1/4 of my TV screen size if I want (and so it's always enough to see all the subtitles).

If the subs are cut-off from the left/right borders, I'm reducing the left/right margin scaling to be able to see them.

If the subs are cut-off from the top/bottom borders, I'm reducing the top/bottom margin scaling to be able to see them.

You can even (but it's silly) remove the top/bottom black borders of a 16/9 video when you are looking it on a 4/3 TV (and so, watch it full screen, but with a bad ratio) if it can help you to understand what I'm saying.

But I'm talking from some specific players (hardware one for the first, and the video player of XBOX1), not a resize with a program. I should have used the word "scaling" from the beginning I think, instead of "resize".
Hiei- is offline   Reply With Quote