AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 15 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 42.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 14.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-02, 05:26   Link #81
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Akane cried at the notion of Ko becoming a coldhearted killer. How is that a machine?
Old 2013-03-02, 06:08   Link #82
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I like how they bring in interesting aspects of politics like hyper oats and and agriculture highly dependant on a particular type of genus making it very susceptible to disease. I just can't help but find it a little ironic also that this came out whilst this whole horse-meat scandal is going around Europe.

This show is doing one amazing job at setting us up for something huge.
Old 2013-03-02, 08:59   Link #83
Qilin
Romanticist

Pretty awesome episode, I'd say.

My general position towards the philosophy of the Sybil system remains unchanged (that limiting human freedom and keeping citizens in ignorance can be justified under very specific contexts), but overconfidence should have its limits. It's one thing to completely place one's trust in the Sybil system if we consider that very trust is a result of conditioning, but relying completely on a single crop to cover an entire nation's food needs is pushing it. It seems needlessly reckless, an Achilles Heel created for its own sake.

On that note, it's nice to get a glimpse of the society's international relations, particularly the strictly enforced border security and the severe restriction on importation. Without these two things, it would have been near impossible to keep Sybil as it is, so I'm glad to see this point clarified. To put things into perspective, the society is fairly isolated, allowing the citizens to live out their lives happily without contamination from foreign influences and strengthening the Sybil's grip on their lives.

Now, the most interesting point here in this episode is, as people seem to agree, Sybil suddenly deciding to reveal everything to Akane. True enough, she was shown to be quite capable of thinking beyond the system without necessarily devaluing it. The question now is whether Sybil intends on integrating her into itself. I would agree that she has that potential that can fill in some of the more questionable gaps in Sybil's judgment.
Old 2013-03-02, 09:41   Link #84
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It may seem reckless, and perhaps from a certain point of view, it is. But remember, the reliance on a single genus assumes that no one is going to contaminate it, or anyone who WOULD contaminate it would get caught before even getting close.
Old 2013-03-02, 09:51   Link #85
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It may seem reckless, and perhaps from a certain point of view, it is. But remember, the reliance on a single genus assumes that no one is going to contaminate it, or anyone who WOULD contaminate it would get caught before even getting close.
That's that thing. Such a thing doesn't even need anyone to contaminate it for the whole thing to come crashing down. All it would take is a single random mutation from some hypothetical pest to kill of an entire harvest, or at least a significant part of it. That's unless the system truly believes that its calculations regarding genetics and agriculture are indeed perfect, which I would doubt since this is science we're talking about. Facts are only true until they are proven wrong.
Old 2013-03-02, 10:01   Link #86
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Lets just chalk it up to fancy sci-fi sterility that makes it immune to disease unless artificially introduced.
Old 2013-03-02, 10:24   Link #87
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Lets just chalk it up to fancy sci-fi sterility that makes it immune to disease unless artificially introduced.
I could do that, but it's just hard to accept on principle. I mean, even if the crops are indeed determined to be immune to disease, that's no reason to trust it completely. Science always leaves room for skepticism, especially in matters concerning human interest.
Old 2013-03-02, 12:03   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In fairness, perhaps with the hyper-oats thing they had no other viable option. If they were to feed their people while relying absolutely zero on foreign food imports, perhaps the only viable way to achieve that was to totally max out the hyper-oats option.*

However, it is here that we see yet another downside to the Sybil system - The complete cessation of importation. Not being able to benefit from the whole world's goods and products and services is obviously to the detriment of your average Japanese person in the world of Psycho-Pass. It drastically limits their consumer choices (and their choices in general).

*Think of it as being like an energy supply issue. Not every nation has vast reserves of oil. Not every nation has the natural resources for hydroelectricity. For some nations to fulfill their people's energy needs, without importing anything from other countries, they might have little option but to go 99% nuclear. Or 99% some new energy supply method. Because they just don't have alternate resources within the nation itself. I'm not sure how much, or what type, of food is grown in real world Japan (well, obviously they produce a lot of rice and fish), but depending on the natural limitations of the food resources of Japan, perhaps it was hyper-oats or bust.
Old 2013-03-02, 13:46   Link #89
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
That's that thing. Such a thing doesn't even need anyone to contaminate it for the whole thing to come crashing down. All it would take is a single random mutation from some hypothetical pest to kill of an entire harvest, or at least a significant part of it. That's unless the system truly believes that its calculations regarding genetics and agriculture are indeed perfect, which I would doubt since this is science we're talking about. Facts are only true until they are proven wrong.
These are the same brains who couldn't bother to defend their inner sanctum with a couple of machine gun turrets slaved to defend the system from intruders independently of a Dominator Psychopass scan. If Choe had brought along a box full of pipe bombs and had choose to use them immediately, he would have utterly crippled the Sybil system. And don't forget the whole "Yeah, we're worried about the danger of psycho hazard causing widespread disorder, but we don't need to invest in riot suppression strategies".

It's a bit too late to act surprised about Sybil Japan having ludicrous internal security weaknesses.
Old 2013-03-03, 03:18   Link #90
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Good and informative episode, but these past few episodes have been rather slow. But it's good that we have more background information on the Psycho Pass world and more character interactions. Gino definitely is growing some back bones.

The hyper oats is rather interesting but felt came out of nowhere. it was too abrupt that we were just introduced to this hyper oat element (and on a message board that we have heard nothing of so far), and apparently this place will be the final battlefield. It was too contrived.
Old 2013-03-03, 07:37   Link #91
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I will not deny that internal security has some massive flaws.

I would like to point out, however, that the only guy that exploited these flaws was a guy who is untraceable by psycho-pass.

Who, as far as the public is concerned, doesn't exist.
Old 2013-03-03, 08:00   Link #92
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I will not deny that internal security has some massive flaws.

I would like to point out, however, that the only guy that exploited these flaws was a guy who is untraceable by psycho-pass.

Who, as far as the public is concerned, doesn't exist.
Except as far as the brains are concerned, people like him DO exist.

More to the point, as I've mentioned several times before. Building border security drones to defend against an over invasion doesn't help much if a team of infiltrated commandos can just about plunge your society into anarchy.
Old 2013-03-03, 13:51   Link #93
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Again assuming that any other nation has any reason at all to invade Japan.

I'd also like to correct something about the brains: They don't understand Makishima, so the very notion of him targeting the food supply wouldn't even occur to them.
Old 2013-03-03, 15:07   Link #94
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
^Again assuming that any other nation has any reason at all to invade Japan.
They seemed to think it was a big enough concern to build giant drone tanks to defend the borders.
One shudders to imagine what kind of weaponry this thing is packing if its got anything like a scaled up dominator.

One does not create giant hunter killers like this unless you're thinking there's at least some possibility of you being attacked by outside powers.
Quote:
I'd also like to correct something about the brains: They don't understand Makishima, so the very notion of him targeting the food supply wouldn't even occur to them.
Not even contemplating that something you don't understand could be dangerous to you is an example of rather flawed thinking.

More to the point. If you think there are external national security threats that would warrant building giant robot tanks that can level a small cities...it's rather strange to think that external national security threats couldn't manifest as attacks against inferstructure and agriculture.
Old 2013-03-03, 15:15   Link #95
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Not even contemplating that something you don't understand could be dangerous to you is an example of rather flawed thinking.
It's more of a matter of them not realising how dangerous he actually is.
Old 2013-03-03, 15:21   Link #96
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
That would be quite stupid of them, considering that he nearly destroyed the Sibyl System. As someone pointed out if Choe had thrown some pipe bombs in there, Sibyl would have been destroyed. They would be really stupid not to recognize someone like that as dangerous.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2013-03-03 at 15:36.
Old 2013-03-03, 15:23   Link #97
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

And yet.. This is exactly what is happening. Perhaps I what I said was a bit confusing. I never meant to assert that the Sibyl guys were the smartest people ever. I was just trying to illuminate what their thought pattern might be.

As in, all of their "defenses" run on the assumption that the psycho-pass scanner can catch anyone long before they manage to do any real damage. They probably assumed that one anomaly could never be as damaging as appears to be the case.

Arrogance begets overconfidence.
Old 2013-03-03, 15:34   Link #98
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Makishima would have destroyed the Sybil System if his buddy choe had opted to toss pipe bombs into that chamber rather than take pictures.

Sybil is delusional if it can't recognize him as dangerous by this point.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-03-03 at 15:53.
Old 2013-03-03, 18:09   Link #99
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

So the secret's in hyper oats? I remember reading a story like this before where the food supply was the cause of chaos.

Terrific episode as always, but I wonder why the sudden interest in Akane? Something tells me Chief Cyborg's got plans for her...and it won't be pretty.
Old 2013-03-03, 18:20   Link #100
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
So the secret's in hyper oats? I remember reading a story like this before where the food supply was the cause of chaos.

Terrific episode as always, but I wonder why the sudden interest in Akane? Something tells me Chief Cyborg's got plans for her...and it won't be pretty.
It seems Akane is the first truly law-abiding person Sybil has ever detected. She believes in justice.

But as far as Sybil is concerned, they can't tell the difference between someone who has a clear conscience like Akane, from someone who has no conscience like Makishima.