AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 51 43.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 38.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 11.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 3.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.54%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-29, 15:11   Link #81
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
So after watching KyoAni shows for a good long while, I think everyone knows they tend to do "so close, but none in the end" panty tease shots.

Welp, I've finally discovered what happens when they fail to do so!

Spoiler for What's under the skirt, KyoAni?:

I didn't photoshop that (it's actually from the episode), but I did find it funny.
Oh my. She also has some anatomical defects, I see. That'd give anyone reason enough to disappear into their fantasy world.
Old 2012-11-29, 16:32   Link #82
Animexcel

Quote:
So after watching KyoAni shows for a good long while, I think everyone knows they tend to do "so close, but none in the end" panty tease shots.

I didn't photoshop that (it's actually from the episode), but I did find it funny.
One possibility is
Spoiler:

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I noticed when Rikka and Deko were trying to instigate a battle with Yuuta; after taking the eye patch off, Rikka looked as if she was confused where her chuuni world wasn't happening around her. At least that's what I thought.

Last edited by Animexcel; 2012-11-29 at 17:06.
Old 2012-11-29, 17:16   Link #83
Aquifina

I thought this was a fun episode, even if Rikka's serious case of denial seemed a bit odd to me at first, considering how the previous episode ended. That being said, Nibutani's explanation that Rikka just couldn't reconcile her romantic feelings with her fantasy world struck me as a plausible enough explanation.

Yuuta was dense, but not overly so. His error in thinking that Rikka was simply embarrassed at him finding out about her past was believable, and most importantly, he tries at various points to deal with the problem--only to be further perplexed by Rikka's behavior. But, in the end, he found a way to break through, even if it required some prodding by Nibutani.

Nibutani was great this ep. While obviously more mature than the clueless Rikka, she's not as savvy as she thinks, relying on manga for romantic instruction. But she certainly deserves credit for being willing to help Rikka out, and knowing exactly how to deal with her, as opposed to being just infuriated by her chuunibyou.

I'm curious as to how the rest of the season plays out. I get the feeling a lot of viewers see this ep. as a de facto confession on both sides; I'm not so sure of that.

Rikka clearly has come to terms with what she feels; Yuuta may be still clueless, though. He is by no means the frustratingly clueless male anime lead, but his actions toward Rikka has been more akin to a protective older brother than a romantic love interest--indeed, he seems to be filling the role Touka ideally would fill, but who seems unable to do so due to a mistaken view of what her older sisters should be like.

Furthermore, Rikka has done a terrible (i.e. nonexistent) job at getting him out of that mindset. Towards Yuuta, Rikka has had moments of jealousy, episodes of almost painful embarrassment; and times when she's been emotionally vulnerable--but we've never seen her flirt with Yuuta, since that first enigmatic scene where they met on the balcony and Yuuta was too surprised to notice. Aside from that, there was the dere-dere moment at the end of ep. 8, but Yuuta wasn't aware of it, and even the hug she gives Yuuta at the end of ep. 9 might be interpreted by Yuuta as the type of thing Rikka would do if she were reunited with her father. Compare this with the way Chitanda invades Oreki's personal space, and how she shows off her kimono in Hyouka.

Indeed, I think the novel dealt better with the issue of how Yuuta got interested in Rikka, because in the anime, we don't see many signs of Yuuta being attracted to Rikka, who after all is quite cute. We see him frustrated; we see him helpful; we see him sympathetic; we see him fiercely protective, but I at least can't recall any moments when we see Yuuta abashedly admiring Rikka for her looks. As a couple, of course, Yuuta should be the level-headed one, but the writers have made him too level-headed in my opinion; I wish we'd see him at least somewhat nervous and excited in Rikka's presence. He's disappointed he doesn't get a kiss in the last episode, and he makes a note of how they're both alone at the start of the evening, but that's it. Indeed, Touka points out that Yuuta's preferred body type in women is actually rather different from Rikka, judging by his reading material.

In other words, while they're definitely closer, are they really dating? I'm not so sure about that, and the good thing is that may give the series some room to work with in terms of further development.

---

A few more points, partly because I thought my last post might have come off as too negative.

I really did find this episode a delight to watch. The balance of comedy and romance was extremely well done, especially Rikka's comic attempts at using Nibutani's advice, with zero success. As was Rikka preposterous attempt to blame her feelings on some kind of villainous aura emanating from Yuuta. The fight scene was also hilarious, seeing as it ended yet again with Rikka's simple incompetence. And while most of the side characters continue to have almost zero effect on the main plot and pairing, they still got fun comic moments.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-29 at 21:23. Reason: merged the double post
Old 2012-11-29, 18:29   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

There are few points that indicate Yuuta isn't immune to Rikka's charms though: he has hard time to imagine her in a romance mood, but he isn't doing so in a calm demeanor. In fact, he has been shown twice or thrice blushing at such prospect with Rikka, but due to her usual chuunibyou and some dropped ball on him, he naturally can't compute her as having a romance interest in general.
Old 2012-11-29, 21:04   Link #85
Witheirate

I though that there are some progress from Yuuta. While yet we could not conclude that he already has romantic feeling for Rikka, but there are tendencies to it.

For example, remember that in the first few episodes he doesn't want to call Rikka by her first name, now he already familiar with calling her Rikka.
Old 2012-11-29, 21:27   Link #86
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There are few points that indicate Yuuta isn't immune to Rikka's charms though: he has hard time to imagine her in a romance mood, but he isn't doing so in a calm demeanor. In fact, he has been shown twice or thrice blushing at such prospect with Rikka, but due to her usual chuunibyou and some dropped ball on him, he naturally can't compute her as having a romance interest in general.
I think this was actually shown most acutely in the previous episode when the idea of her "staying the night" was playing out in his head, and also when he thought she was going to go for a kiss. But when she turned around and reverted to chuunibyou mode there, it probably embarrassed him to think he may have feelings for her given the way she acts (and that "clearly" it's all in his head). So I think your point is correct -- he just can't reconcile her chuunibyou behaviour with his idea (preconception?) of romance. I think they'll figure it out.
Old 2012-11-29, 22:48   Link #87
Domonkazu

banishment this world didn't work XD

good eps overall, can't really complain, TE in other hand.......
Old 2012-11-29, 23:13   Link #88
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Touka got some moves
Old 2012-11-30, 00:12   Link #89
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
In the anime, we don't see many signs of Yuuta being attracted to Rikka, who after all is quite cute. We see him frustrated; we see him helpful; we see him sympathetic; we see him fiercely protective, but I at least can't recall any moments when we see Yuuta abashedly admiring Rikka for her looks. As a couple, of course, Yuuta should be the level-headed one, but the writers have made him too level-headed in my opinion; I wish we'd see him at least somewhat nervous and excited in Rikka's presence. He's disappointed he doesn't get a kiss in the last episode, and he makes a note of how they're both alone at the start of the evening, but that's it. Indeed, Touka points out that Yuuta's preferred body type in women is actually rather different from Rikka, judging by his reading material.
Agree. Here I'm hoping for Isshiki to play his crucial role--the same thing Nibutani did for Rikka. He somewhat did that over the phone call last episode, but I think they need a one-on-one talk like Rikka and Nibutani did to really spell it out for Yuuta.

But I think there is another reason why we Yuuta's attraction to Rikka is less than we'd like. Basically, they just switch focalization on us this episode. In contrast to the past eight episodes, this one was told using mostly Rikka's perspective, especially the second half. Instead of hearing Yuuta think "what is this girl doing", we know exactly what Rikka is trying to do. On the other hand, we are left wondering "what is he thinking" during Rikka attempts to flirt with him.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:42   Link #90
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Touka got some moves
As expected, it's confirmed that she learned it from gymnastics.

Still, that butterfly symbolism makes me want to laugh and astonish more from KyoAni!
Old 2012-11-30, 14:31   Link #91
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yuuta has been looking after Rikka, as if she were a younger sister rather than a love interest. But his affection for her has been growing quietly, occasionally poking its head up above the surface.

In ep8, he accepted what he thought was going to be a kiss, then when he realized she was still acting chuunibyou and wasn't going to kiss him, he wasn't sure that was such a great thing. At that point, it seemed that it was only her chuunibyou that was preventing him from accepting having romantic feelings for her. His affection for her -- greater now that he understands where her chuunibyou comes from -- is becoming gradually less distinguishable from romantic love.

Yuuta and Nibutani are similar to each other in that they have rejected their chuunibyou past but are still actually attracted by the chuunibyou in others (Rikka and Dekomori). I expect and hope we will get the club in full chuunibyou flight at some point, with Yuuta and Rikka doing their performance, and Mori Summer reappearing in full glory, using her magic to promote love. Having indulged their chuunibyou completely, maybe then they can all get beyond it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-11-30 at 15:15.
Old 2012-11-30, 17:06   Link #92
ellessarr
Banned

again kioani impress me showing on how to make a awesome history without need use "stupdis cliches" who almost of all others company need use in order to sucess, to being a sucess, now i'm really see that anime being a much better romcom than sakurasou, i'm almost dropping sakurasou because i'm really tired of all that "cliches", first was hyouka now chuunibyou, really amazing episode and for the ppls who still have any hope to see nibutane falling for yuuta and any type of triangle/square/pentagone/harem i think this episode pretty killed/crushed all hopes on this based what on the staff of the anime say about the characters i'm still believe who even isshiki dont gona end "alone" or just being a looser, he gona get him pot of gold in the end of rainbow.
Old 2012-11-30, 19:00   Link #93
Gault
inc_mplete

Shinka getting her ideas from the Mangas was hilarious :P
the accidental headbutt, LOLOLOLOL! but IF that did go well, that would've been a kiss
:O

I'm glad Nibutani put some sense into Rikka telling her what/how she feels about Yuuta
also, it's funny to see Shinka help out Isshiki too :P
Old 2012-12-01, 03:57   Link #94
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
God damn this show is good. The serious episodes are so awesome.
Old 2012-12-01, 07:22   Link #95
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yuuta and Nibutani are similar to each other in that they have rejected their chuunibyou past but are still actually attracted by the chuunibyou in others (Rikka and Dekomori).
Good point, I never thought of it that way before.

As for this episode, my favorite part is where Rikka starts reacting to Shinka comments about love. It's hilarious. The end of with the camara angle slowly rotate is also a nice touch. Perfect scene for a proper confession. At least I hope Rikka will confess next episode.
Old 2012-12-01, 07:51   Link #96
Seiryuu

Loved this ep; Rikka was truly adorable. I really loved how she choked on her lines. Normally she sounds like she means what she says when she commands reality to be rent and the world banished, but this time it sounded more like a rote recital. Her later attempts to actually pursue things was great as well.
I also enjoyed Nibutani's denial. Her place is arranged according to feng shui, her shelves are full of astrology, feng shui and new age past-life texts, yet she insists that divination and all that new-age stuff is completely different from her chuunibyou, in which she performed charms and curses and talked about her past lives. Sure it is.
Old 2012-12-02, 04:04   Link #97
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Rikka x Yuuta is officially already set

I don't know how Isshiki and Cumin gonna played out, but i think they will stop at teasing (with Cumin is totally airhead that is). And i thought Cumin x pillow was the OTP...

There is still Shinka x Dekomori through. With the fake Summer Mori still a thorn on Shinka. Hopefully during their cultural festival performances, Shinka would have to return to her Summer Mori mode at one point to help out Rikka's confession (she is the Love Cupid Fairy afterall), and impress Dekomori greatly. Then they can return to their rival mode but with Dekomori now start to half-believe on Shinka's claim
Old 2012-12-02, 20:14   Link #98
MexicanAnime

Watched the latest episode which was sappy, but still better than the episodes of when it started off, though KyoAni didn't have a chance to show off their budget in this show this time.
Old 2012-12-03, 12:51   Link #99
halibonga

words cannot describe how much i love this series
Old 2014-04-20, 18:07   Link #100
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:

Can't tell whether this was correcting a genuine animation mistake or if they just did this as a response to audience criticism, but it was fixed in the BD.

Enjoy:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Closed Thread