AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-28, 15:45   Link #521
Midonin
Last Engage

According to the website, there is going to be an OVA (probably another DVD special episode) for the series somewhere down the line.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 03:19   Link #522
longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
From another board came this "essay" on Akikan (I was not the guy who wrote it, credit goes to some other guy).

The can theme is metaphorical. The cans represent "temporary satisfaction" and "disposal". When we use something and are completely satisfied we are done with it and forget about it. Sometimes love can be this way so the Akikan do not wish for this fate but are controlled by their emotions and desire to be of use and not to be thrown away despite the fact that their only masters could very well toss them out as they usually do. We are slaves to our natural instincts and desires and partially to those who can satisfy them.
Akikan is about giving up yourself to those emotions and being "opened" like a can would be and presented with a kiss. Can you make this kiss mean something? Does love transcend form or material? The Akikan aim for ultimate love that cant be thrown away and the Akikan Elect is their greatest chance for this.

Why their earrings are tugged to change into cans?
It's means that there are moments in life and in a relationship when we must allow certain events to pass. Where we must change to satisfy current needs, especially for our loved ones.
When Najimi first changed Yell by pulling her tag, that was actually Yell showing Najimi she would change just to prove the very situation at hand as Yell is a very loyal Akikan.

Kakeru is the representation of an human on the brink, stuck between his darker desires and his morality. But despite his nature he won't abandon Melon after satisfaction which is why he does not want to participate in the Akikan Elect, she has already found someone who can transcend temporary satisfaction and fall in love. She does not need to fight to increase her chances of love.
The difference between steel and aluminum cans is simply one's approach to love. Yell and Budoko have different approaches that are separate from Melon's who is a steel can. They are truly fighting, not just for the Akikan Elect to increase their chance of finding love, but fighting to prove whose method of obtaining love is best and could even serve as role model for other Akikans.

Gigolo is shown to be the flawed person aiming for what he usually cannot obtain. He is a reflection of the Akikan, the human reflection. He has his flaws and differs greatly from those around him-this is emphasized by the fact that he is even ignored or counted as nonexistant. Despite this he fights on and maintains a decent personality.
Najimi is the lost person, looking for love like the Akikan but unable to pinpoint eactly what she wants. When she finds something-like Kakeru-to love, she grips onto it. She is unaware that she may toss him like one tosses a can once they are completely satisfied. Hence the reason she ordered Yell to punish him, he was unable to satisfy her with a date and instead satisfied Melon with a psuedo-date. She then tossed him from her heart and she became lost once again.

Kochikaze represents the hope and strength of love. She transcends already normal boundaries ,openly admitting her feelings for people of the same gender. Even after Najimi "dumped" her she remained strong, suffering for a short period but recovering the next day, even managing to bathe with Najimi-proving surviving the trials can open up more opportunities. She goes beyond the standards and keeps a strong heart even in times of trouble, making her seem magical and different from the others thus she is considered a witch. she has powers that can only be seen from a Akikan or an Akikan in love with its owner, therefore she is seeking love and loving her lifestyle in life which doubles her power and allows her to pass human standards and become a witch.

Otoya and Kizaki are the results of failed love, now part of the impersonal and seemingly cruel government. Otoya is a man who, though breaks the normal standards of love, allows it make him perverse and demented. He is now constantly "thirsty" for the fake love obtained from carnal pleasure, only completing whatever tasks are given to him in order to move on and hopefully find another partner for a quick fix of love before tossing them away. The problem is his lifestyle represents constant tossing out of people.
He is the kind of person who would not care for an Akikan and stands as a warning sign to all other characters. The Akikan fear ending up with this kind of person and the master of the Akikan fears becoming this kind of person. Otoya goes so far as to even force them to fight other Akikans and their masters, not caring for the type of love the Akikans hope for because he cannot understand it and has never felt it for himself even with all his one night stands. Or perhaps he knows love is not temporary and wishes for the Akikan to have a fighting chance at true love, knowing the pain all too well himself.

Otoya may very well believe that true love is worth destroying others and caring only for yourself. Kakeru wishes to see no one harmed and is against the Akikan Elect, making him the severe contrast to Otoya, even by age and color. But Kakeru is also perverse which may create a inner fear within him that makes him believe he may very well end up like Otoya. Kizaki is partnered with this Otoya, someone completely different from her yet under the same organization. She has no one to be with and instead spent time attempting to ruin others' relationship as seen with Najimi being told to go to the stadium. She hardly cares for love and instead focuses on her career, the professional atmosphere and even the cute things in life which make her different from all the other characters. She is the type of person to choose business over love and she does not represent a truly happy person. She is also a warning sign to all other characters.

Buduko represents an immature approach to the serious issues due to her age. Because of her naive nature she finds a different sort of love through different means. Somehow she remains happy and has found a different type of true love, simply put it is friendship. Though she may be incapable of true love she can at least be content with the friendship. Natural curiosity is what puts her in the Akikan Elect which emphasizes innocence and foolishness. She is bravely attempting for true love not knowing the risks and danger that could result as she is too young to have experienced them or imagine them. It is possible over the course of the series she may discover the darker, harsher truths to love and her character can greatly change throughout. This is the last part of the analysis.

looks like the guy who wrote this is a really insightful philosopher
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:09   Link #523
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the fansubbers think they need 220+MB to encode this series (long laughter).
Its simple , just ask them . They'll answer you .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:12   Link #524
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the fansubbers think they need 220+MB to encode this series (long laughter).
720p requires more bitrate than 480p. That's why Chihiro has it at 220+ MB.

Why Coalguys has it at 230 MB at 848x480, I don't have the slightest idea.
Old 2009-03-29, 13:24   Link #525
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 12 - end
Spoiler:

Overall it was a silly and funny little series. It kinda destroyed the reputation of the producers but in terms of non series, guilty pleasure enjoyment, this is good stuff ^^'

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 13:39   Link #526
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
720p requires more bitrate than 480p. That's why Chihiro has it at 220+ MB.

Why Coalguys has it at 230 MB at 848x480, I don't have the slightest idea.
Just seems like using a supercomputer to solve 3+X=7..... let's face it, the animation underwhelms the delivery tech.

As far as Akikan! .... ends up for me as a odd little humorous series to suggest when someone just wants a bit of bizarreness.
Old 2009-03-29, 13:50   Link #527
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

One thing for sure, I am happy that none of the Sheryl shippers from MF are over here, nor had they heard or known about who Miku's VA is.

I was expecting her to sing Seikan Hikou.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 14:27   Link #528
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
One thing for sure, I am happy that none of the Sheryl shippers from MF are over here, nor had they heard or known about who Miku's VA is.

I was expecting her to sing Seikan Hikou.
Though it would be pretty unsightly if they brought their grudge against Ranka over here, no? Besides, there probably are Sheryl shippers over here, but unlike what you expect, they aren't bringing up Ranka or something like that...

My ears would rot if she tried singing that song in that horrible fake accent... >_> Now if it was her normal Rank voice, then OK, OK~

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:00   Link #529
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I prefer this fake accent over her Ranka voice frankly...(and I r Sheryl fan ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:05   Link #530
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I prefer this fake accent over her Ranka voice frankly...
Well, if you hated Ranka, then that would be the case, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
(and I r Sheryl fan ).
Un, It's easy to tell.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:27   Link #531
Used Can

Akikan represents most anime plots nowadays very well. It is all a joke, even where it tries to be serious. The difference is Akikan is honest about it.

10/10, because I appreciate honesty.
Old 2009-03-29, 16:51   Link #532
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch the last episode :

Lol the ending XD
Ahah when the music was depressing then Kakeru wanted to pee ^^
Poor Miku , her owner was the cat rofl !
The battle make me laugh , when they get out of the can the transformation was like Sailor Moon XD
I thought Yuriri will come in Witch mode but nothing
Well , the story wasn't good , but i like the humor .

7/10
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 17:03   Link #533
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
It wasn't that bad overall, certainly made me begin reading the novels. The main problem with the series was its animation and art quality, especially during the first episodes. As for being allegorical, I somewhat doubt it, at least if we let our imagination run wild probably we can connect Pokemon or Naruto to overpopulation or chronic depression That being said, I certainly agree that there was more thought into the events then just superficial randomness. All in all it was fun to watch ... 3/5.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 23:29   Link #534
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Though it would be pretty unsightly if they brought their grudge against Ranka over here, no? Besides, there probably are Sheryl shippers over here, but unlike what you expect, they aren't bringing up Ranka or something like that...
Spoken for truth. Why would anyone bring grudges against a character toward his or her VA and then over in other forums as well? I am a proud Sheryl fan and I find that it's unfair to assume all Sheryl fans are Ranka haters. I don't hate Ranka at all. She's adorable. :P

Anyways, I'm amazed that I watched Akikan to the very end. I am one of those people who drop anime like crazy based on the first couple of episodes, but somehow, Akikan caught my attention and held it until the very end. I wasn't impressed with the first episode but I guess I watched it out of guilty pleasure. XD I like the funny ending. It was cute.

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 10:46   Link #535
Marty17
Like What You Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose-wisteria View Post
Anyways, I'm amazed that I watched Akikan to the very end. I am one of those people who drop anime like crazy based on the first couple of episodes, but somehow, Akikan caught my attention and held it until the very end. I wasn't impressed with the first episode but I guess I watched it out of guilty pleasure. XD I like the funny ending. It was cute.
Same here. Read the synopsis & the 1st 3 chapters & felt it's a rather silly plot, but I still watched the Anime all the way through. I think (like you said) it's because of the comedy (I'm not gonna watch this religiously - it's a 1-off thing). There were a few occasions I ask myself "Why am I watching this?".
Old 2009-03-30, 18:51   Link #536
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I seriously couldn't stop laughing when we found out that Miku's owner is a cat. That's the kind of silliness i love about this series.

But yeah, great last episode. Just what i wanted to see from this episode. Now we just wait for the announced OVA.
Old 2009-03-30, 21:35   Link #537
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

too bad this show cant stay stupid at all time or else i would enjoy it like kanokon
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 00:58   Link #538
FateAnomaly

I already expected that the strongest akikan isn't exactly evil just jealous but i never expected that her owner to be a cat!

Anyway, this series is fun while it last but i probably wouldn't miss it much.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 22:44   Link #539
Cio
Otaku

Eps 11 and 12 is definitely the best episode (eps 1 is good too) from Akikan!

And Miku is definitely the best akikan girl for me... She is really cute and her power to absorb another Akikan into her is unique too (because she is a mixed fruit punch akikan )
Old 2009-04-03, 01:55   Link #540
Echoes

I have to at least give Akikan a few points for being different. It had more dirty jokes than a Gilbert Gottfried special, and was really over the top at all times. Just about everything was lacking; art, animation, music and plot, but I found some relief in the character relationship between Yell and Najimi, something about them just hit home with me. The humor was really hit or miss, but I actually found some of it very funny, if not always for the intended reasons.

It wasn't a horrible series, though there were many cringeworthy scenes and events, but it was certainly below average overall, hence I'd give it a 4/10. That doesn't mean I regret watching it, it was relatively entertaining for the most part.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen