AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-21, 06:21   Link #1801
Father Hentai

magnus, I'll do the research as soon as I am at home. Currently at work and paying bills is currently more important than doing some brain stuff But I won't forget your request. Just need some time.
Old 2009-07-21, 06:26   Link #1802
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
magnus, I'll do the research as soon as I am at home. Currently at work and paying bills is currently more important than doing some brain stuff But I won't forget your request. Just need some time.
Okay. Thanks!
Old 2009-07-21, 07:37   Link #1803
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Of course Ranka has grown from episode one, but in a stunted way, IMO. She clearly gained tons of self-confidence, but she still fundamentally approaches things from a "How does this relate to me?" perspective, while Sheryl and Alto do not. How do I know this? Because the show went out of its way to show me that they cared about the perspective of other people, in case of Sheryl and Alto, and very conspiciously did not with Ranka.
I will just reply this comment (well, since this comment is about my post anyway)

This is not true in my opinion.

In a grand scale, Ranka is the only one who cares perspective from other ppl..in fact, she is the only one who cares the perspective from Vajra!!! Well, this is because 1)she is generally a very kind individual 2)her connection with Vajra forces her to find the truth

On the other hand, Alto and Sheryl, only care about themselves when they fight against Vajra. In a way, Alto and Sheryl treats the term "me" as MF, and "they" as Vajra..so they never think of coexistence, and coexistence is the theme in many macross series

And of course, you can't blame Alto and Sheryl, because they are only human being and they don't have the power that Ranka has..but in my opinion, Ranka is the one who starts to search coexistence between MF and Vajra...and Her immediate act to sing after getting rescued, hoping to stop the war between MF and Vajra in episode 25, is the very solid proof that she cares about others

BTW, happy b-day magnuskn??

Edit: and I am getting tired to write long post lol, and usually I will stop when I think I get my message across, so please don't feel surprised if I stop responding, use Swampstorm's word, I may absent from the conversation but it doesn't mean I concur with what's being said (huge thanks Swampstorm!!! )

Edit: Tak, you can read chinese?? I can't read japanese, but somehow, I can read chinese..I visit to many chinese forum about macross, and I don't feel the Sheryl's dominance as you mention, in fact, animesuki's macross forum is the most Sheryl's dominance forum I have ever seen...I don't wanna doubt you..it must be because I haven't gone to that chinese website you mention..Can you post the link here, so I can see how dominant Sheryl is in that particular chinese website??
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet

Last edited by justavisitor; 2009-07-21 at 07:59.
Old 2009-07-21, 08:46   Link #1804
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I will just reply this comment (well, since this comment is about my post anyway)

This is not true in my opinion.

In a grand scale, Ranka is the only one who cares perspective from other ppl..in fact, she is the only one who cares the perspective from Vajra!!! Well, this is because 1)she is generally a very kind individual 2)her connection with Vajra forces her to find the truth

On the other hand, Alto and Sheryl, only care about themselves when they fight against Vajra. In a way, Alto and Sheryl treats the term "me" as MF, and "they" as Vajra..so they never think of coexistence, and coexistence is the theme in many macross series

And of course, you can't blame Alto and Sheryl, because they are only human being and they don't have the power that Ranka has..but in my opinion, Ranka is the one who starts to search coexistence between MF and Vajra...and Her immediate act to sing after getting rescued, hoping to stop the war between MF and Vajra in episode 25, is the very solid proof that she cares about others
Look, I think you just made most of my counterargument in the last part. Sheryl and Alto are only human ( well, Sheryl gets some powers in the end, yadda yadda, y'know what I mean. ). For them, the Vajra are a species of insects who are attacking Frontier without even a reason and only try to destroy humanity.

Ranka knows that there is something more to the Vajra since episode 14 ( and doesn´t care to share that with anybody else... I´ll better not follow that line of thought and will chalk it up to her disassociative amnesia ). Of course she will try to follow that up somehow, but the way she goes about it could have been much, much better. This is a wholly other can of worms over which we´ve gone extensively in the past, let´s just let it rest, or we get three pages of arguments, like back then.

For Sheryl and Alto to not care about the Vajra, though, is the natural result how the Vajra presented themselves to them and everybody else ( sans Ranka ). They are characters in a show and don´t know that one overachieving metaphor of Macross is tolerance between species.

That opens up another topic about how the Vajra were the OPFOR with the least personality in all Macross shows, but, again, we´ve gone over that topic already, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
BTW, happy b-day magnuskn??
Many thanks!
Old 2009-07-21, 09:11   Link #1805
Father Hentai

Oh. Keine Schnapszahl mehr?
Happy Birthday! Now I really owe you something as a birthday present
Old 2009-07-21, 09:41   Link #1806
magnuskn

Quote:
Oh. Keine Schnapszahl mehr?
Happy Birthday! Now I really owe you something as a birthday present
Bah, getting older sucks.

And thanks for the birthday wishes.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:31   Link #1807
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

For your birthday, why don't ya just wish you could live forever

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-21, 10:34   Link #1808
Father Hentai

Why live forever? Wish for a woman, or two or a harem! Gettig off topic now. :/
Old 2009-07-21, 11:06   Link #1809
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For your birthday, why don't ya just wish you could live forever

- Tak
Quote:
Why live forever? Wish for a woman, or two or a harem! Gettig off topic now. :/
Can´t I have all that together?

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Tak.
Old 2009-07-21, 14:41   Link #1810
wisteria233

Oh its your birthday? Happy birthday then Magnuskn
Old 2009-07-21, 15:17   Link #1811
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Oh its your birthday? Happy birthday then Magnuskn
Many thanks!
Old 2009-07-21, 17:48   Link #1812
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Re: magnuskn

I've formulated a response, but I'm still debating whether or not to post it. I was thinking (hoping?) things had wound down last night, and I'm not sure if it's worth starting up again...

And yes, happy birthday.
Old 2009-07-21, 17:54   Link #1813
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Re: magnuskn

I've formulated a response, but I'm still debating whether or not to post it. I was thinking (hoping?) things had wound down last night, and I'm not sure if it's worth starting up again...

And yes, happy birthday.
I´m up for a debate, if you want it. It´s differing viewpoints, not the battle of Midway.

And thanks!
Old 2009-07-29, 22:01   Link #1814
Kylegoblue

I really liked Ranka in this series. Especially after watching it a second time. I hope they develop her character more in the second movie and maybe give her a better love interest than Alto.
Old 2009-07-29, 22:07   Link #1815
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
a better love interest than Alto.
I think he already exists, personally.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-29, 22:08   Link #1816
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think he already exists, personally.

- Tak
Now, now, That's Incest (please don't hurt me )

Rather i have a feeling the 2nd Movie will develop the "loser" of the triangle, (if it is resolved) for a new interest for them.

I do like Ranka though, I just don't like her with Alto
Old 2009-07-29, 22:25   Link #1817
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Now, now, That's Incest (please don't hurt me )
That depends on how much of his original biological makeup is left.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-30, 07:54   Link #1818
Kylegoblue

That's funny because that thought did run through my head. Maybe in the re-telling they'll make him unrelated. And a little less like he has a stick up his butt. But I suppose having cybernetic parts will do that to your personality.
Old 2009-07-30, 09:56   Link #1819
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
It's generally used writing part. Having machine parts make you act more like a machine. Perhaps it's not neccessarilly true, but that's what commonly happens.
Anyways, the movie suggest few moments between Sheryl and Brea. Maybe it'll happen the other way?
I find it rather bland, because Sheryl doesn't really fit with him.
About the BreaX Ranka pairing. It could be possible because if we erease the siblings "tag" over them their moments could interpreted pretty much as a love development in some ways.(And with the "tag" on Brea is a rather siscon protective brother)
Old 2009-07-30, 11:34   Link #1820
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
It's generally used writing part. Having machine parts make you act more like a machine. Perhaps it's not neccessarilly true, but that's what commonly happens.
Anyways, the movie suggest few moments between Sheryl and Brea. Maybe it'll happen the other way?
I find it rather bland, because Sheryl doesn't really fit with him.
About the BreaX Ranka pairing. It could be possible because if we erease the siblings "tag" over them their moments could interpreted pretty much as a love development in some ways.(And with the "tag" on Brea is a rather siscon protective brother)
Please never ever make that happen Kawamori. I would Cry, and keep crying.
With the comment on Brera and Ranka's Relationship it could be done with Alto too, which would bring some more substance to their relationship.
Closed Thread