AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-28, 16:46   Link #1
kitten320

Ghosts

As title suggests, I want a show that is dealing with ghosts in some way. Would prefer something creepy/sad like Ghost Hunt but don't mind series like AnoHana either. As long as ghosts are main focus, anything should do.
Ghosts always raised my interest so I hope there are some good animes with them, otherwise will have to find more life movies instead

I also have watched:
Clannad
Bleach
07-Ghost (I think they were ghosts, can't remember)
Kanon 2006
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo

I also heard about Ghost Stories series, are they any good?

Last edited by kitten320; 2011-09-30 at 09:34.
Old 2011-09-28, 17:21   Link #2
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ghost Stories was good. XxxHolic deals with ghosts in some arcs.

Edit, also there's a BL manga that has a ghost that falls inlove with the kid in his house. Name escapes me and I don't remember what your view on BL is. Will try to find it if you're interested.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2011-09-28, 17:44   Link #3
kitten320

I prefer anime but don't mind to check the manga
Old 2011-09-28, 20:48   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah, Ghost Stories is good.

Have you seen Ghost at School, Tokyo Majin Gakuen series and Jigoku Sensei Nube (anime & manga)?
Old 2011-09-29, 00:36   Link #5
raitouazura
Fallen God

for manga i recommend corpse party blood covered
as for anime maybe elfen lied and highschool of the dead and if you liked clannad and kanon maybe you must watch shuffle!
Old 2011-09-29, 07:35   Link #6
kitten320

Eeehhhh... HOTD has zombies, not ghosts... And I have seen it already. Not bad but zombie apocalypses don't excite me, they usually have same plot line.

Same with Elfen Lied, no ghosts there. And I'm searching specificly for ghosts, there can be something in between, but ghosts have to be present.

But still thanks

Obelisk ze Tormentor

Nope, have not seen those. Thanks for the titles^^
Old 2011-09-29, 07:45   Link #7
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Haunted Junction, if you don't mind comedy. Though not all the spirits there are classic ghosts.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:26   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you are willing to class shows about "mononoke" and "youkai" in the ghost categories, then I'd recommend Bakeneko/Mononoke and Natsume Yuujinchou. In the first case the supernatural beings are more ghost-like and haunt humans; the youkai in Natsume are actual demons. Yondemasu-yo Azazel-san is similar to Natsume in that regard, though it's more comedic.

One other obvious choice that hasn't been mentioned is Ghost Hound, but it's take on ghosts is more mystical; they don't jump out of walls or haunt people.
Old 2011-09-29, 11:07   Link #9
kitten320

Mmmm, no... I consider youkai more like mythical creatures thank youkai... But I do plat to watch Natsume at one point

By ghosts I mean dead people, but NOT zombies!
Old 2011-09-29, 12:05   Link #10
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The manga with the ghost boy is called Beyond My Touch by Tomo Maeda.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2011-09-29, 14:17   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend watching this comic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRt_W...eature=related
(Put it on 720p and full screen)
Old 2011-09-29, 18:20   Link #12
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

Ha, ghosts! Not so easy. While twisting my mind it only produced shows with spirits or demons. But no real ghosts. I finally remembered these two, I think they qualify:

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Psychic Detective Yakumo). It is a supernatural mystery. A young man that can see and communicate with the ghosts of dead people who are not able to find peace. He solves mystery cases for clients and tries to help the ghost with their unsolved issues. Towards the end the mystery of his own existence has to be solved. I think the show is a little on the weak side with the main plotline all over the place but it is still enjoyable.

Mirage of Blaze (Honoo no mirage). The adaptation of a BL light novel. The anime though is rather tame in this respect, shounen-ai at the most. It is also not so recent (2002). Otherwise the show is hard to classify, the story is quite complex. Historical drama, melodrama and supernatural. Sengoku era warlords reincarnate by possessing people in the present and try to stage their old wars all over again. A group of reincarnated "guardians" tries to hinder them.

Sounds cheesy? Sometimes it is. But all in all the show is better than my lame description. It is a good chance to learn a lot about Japanese history, the plot is rather elaborate. The protagonists are voiced by Toshihiko Seki (actually I just noticed he also voices a role in Yakumo. Must surely be a coincidence and not my fangirling...) and Shou Hayami (Aizen!!!). Who could resist that???

In addition to the TV series there is also an OVA (Rebels of the River Edge).

Last edited by Moresca; 2011-09-29 at 18:40. Reason: lousy grammar :P
Old 2011-09-29, 19:09   Link #13
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think anime with ghosts have been mentioned already, so I'll just recommend a manga instead: Tasogare Otome × Amnesia.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-09-29, 20:12   Link #14
Undertaker

If you are looking strickely looking for shows about ghost in traditional sense, there aren't too many since in East you are usually a ghost are usually vengeful spirits with strongest usually ends up becoming human-based youkai like yuki-onna (snow woman).

I would suggest Jigoku Shojo or Hell Girl in English. There are three season of 2-cour each. It's about a girl Ai Enma who has passed away but was turn into a agent or sort to atone for her sin. Her job was to accept requests from people who held grudges against other person and punish them in their stead. However, in exchange for exacting revenge, the clients agrees that their souls will go to hell once they died. The main plot deals with why Ai was chosen for this job and the sins she committed before she died hundreds of years ago. Since Ai died over 400 years ago, she, herself is technically a ghost.

Another I would suggest is Ghost Sweeper Mikami. It's about supernatural cases that was handled by a Ghost Sweeper Agency own by Mikami.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:11   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Sorry Kitten. I forgot to mention that Ghost Stories and Ghosts at School are basically the same anime with some slight difference. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The series (Ghost Stories) is licensed for the North American market by ADV Films whose English dub replaces the original script with a comedic one."

"The series was translated and dubbed into English by the anime television network, Animax, under the title Ghosts at School. The Animax dub stayed true to the original, retained all of the original Japanese plot, character and dialogue details, broadcasting the series uncensored and unedited within its respective networks across the world, including Southeast Asia and South Asia."
Old 2011-09-30, 09:34   Link #16
kitten320

That's sad that ghosts are not that popular in anime world

But thank you everyone for trying to find something1 I really appraciate it!

P.S. I totally forgot to put Shinrei Tantei Yakumo on my watched list.
Old 2011-09-30, 14:11   Link #17
Undertaker

It's not that it's not popular, it's more cultural differences. East Asian country believes in reincarnation and after life. As result, those that states as ghost are usually people died of anger or regrets in their life therefore their nature are more aggressive than western counterparts. But at same time, ghosts with strong anger or regret get monster-fied into youkai therefore degrades ghost to more of lower status youkai. As result, youkai stories are more widespread than the actual "ghost" in western sense. Therefore, most anime with creepy/scary-ness are more of youkai type than ghost.

Speaking of this, I remembers an anime named Ginban Kaleidoscope. It's about a ghost helping a talented but flawed figure skater to find herself. But it's not creep and pretty much sums up the way most anime treats ghost. Same as Hikaru no Go as well.

But really check out Hell Girl is you haven't seen it. It should satisfy you if you are looking for creepy, sad, and ghostly feel.
Old 2011-09-30, 14:57   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll reiterate my suggestion of the Apothecary series, Bakeneko and Mononoke. They tell the types of stories that Undertaker describes, where people are haunted because of their past malevolent actions against innocent victims. Sometimes the haunter is a person, but sometimes as in Bakeneko, aka "Goblin Cat," the haunter isn't human but is connected to a human victim in some way.

+1 for Hikaru, though the "ghost" Sai is the antithesis of creepy.
Old 2011-10-07, 09:28   Link #19
kitten320

Does anyone know if there is a subbed version for Ghost Stories?
I just tried to watch dub and I couldn't stand it... characters are un-emotional and half of the time it is hard to understand what they are saying. To top it, sentances they are saying are way too ridiculouse! Do they really say "female principals look like lesbians" in raw as well? 0_o

I tried to find sub but it is nowhere to be found, does it even exist?
Old 2011-10-07, 09:51   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a subbed version for Ghost Stories?
I just tried to watch dub and I couldn't stand it... characters are un-emotional and half of the time it is hard to understand what they are saying. To top it, sentances they are saying are way too ridiculouse! Do they really say "female principals look like lesbians" in raw as well? 0_o

I tried to find sub but it is nowhere to be found, does it even exist?
Maybe what you've watched is the ridiculous ADV version? As long as I can remember, the 'real' version is not that bad. Have you try to search using Ghosts at School title? If that doesn't work, well, I don't know.

As for me, I'm quite fortunate that Ghost Stories was aired in my local TV as Ghosts at School (the faithful version) long ago with good Indonesian dub.