AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

View Poll Results: Asatte no Houkou Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 2 6.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 46.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 21.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 3.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-13, 19:58   Link #21
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
It was deception, but the way I took it was just that Karada isn't good at thinking on-the-fly. She's a young child in mind, and so she's not used to older kinda situations where you think up stories off the top of your head simply because its easier than trying to explain the situation at the time.
She wasnt really making up stories, Tetsumasa was jumping to conclusions and she was just going with the flow.

He asked her a bunch of presumptive questions and she basically said "sure, thats it".

If he had been slower to judge, and simply asked her questions like "what's your name", then I bet she would have spilled her guts.

I saw her as being kind to him. She doesnt want to cause him stress by telling him a bunch of things he's not ready to hear.
Old 2006-11-14, 18:16   Link #22
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
mistake delete please
Old 2006-11-15, 16:08   Link #23
nojay
Scanlator

Some things...

We see Hiro's left eye this time as he goes off to work. His five-o'clock stubble seems to be less pronounced too. Progress!

This episode seems to be a bit of a placeholder, lots of scenery pans (that reminded me of _Air_) between the bonding of Karada-oneesan and Tetsumasa. Is he feeling a bit guilty about hanging with this cute girl while his precious Karada-kodomo is missing, even if she does remind him of her somehow...

Preview for episode 7 -- I really don't like that look Shouko-kodomo is giving Karada -- she's up to something and I don't think it's just Hiro-nii's 28th birthday party.

Going by typical anime story arcs (and this series doesn't appear radically different in that respect) we can expect a ratchetting up of the tensions and drama in the next few epsodes. How will it go? I think the KaradaxHiro "thing" is now off the table and good riddance. I'm not seeing any HiroxShouko though (not surprisingly given the circumstances). They've got a chunk of working out to do in that relationship and they haven't started yet. Knowing Japanese storytelling tropes they might only start to do so when the series ends.

Spoiler for My guess for the ending?:
Old 2006-11-24, 03:19   Link #24
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I give. Take me away. This one was so romantic I may never recover. That empty/full feeling in the chest. Only one thing "happened" -- or maybe two -- but I loved it. Still, I can't call this anime "slice of life." It has a strong, strong plot carrying through. Maybe it's romance? Or maybe I'd just call it "magic drama." In any case, I think its greatest effects are the emotions drawn out of us by the characters' feelings and interactions as the plot slowly evolves.
I think if we want to put Asatte no Houkou into a genre, it'd be "character drama".

This episode had more of those "nothing happens" moments, particularly in the early part of the ep, which I still say works incredibly well for the atmosphere in the series. I love how subtle it is as well. The scene in the forest after Karada stops where Tetsu, without even realizing it, says "Come on Iokawa" was extremely impressive since, despite how profound it is to the plot, absolutely nothing was made of it by both characters and no attempt to draw attention to it from the anime itself was made. It's realistic in a sense, but it also says a lot about the state of minds of both characters, particularly Tetsu in that he subconsciously realizes that this stranger before him is Karada. I love that. That's mature storytelling and it's extremely respectful to the audience, in that not every little detail is spoon fed to us. I really, really appreciate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
that tetsu guy should be shot for not knowing that it is karada whos standing in front of him! >.<
Completely disagree. In Tetsu's mind, Iokawa Karada is a very short girl who's the same age as he is. It's not something people expect to see in their everyday life, ie a close friend suddenly aging by several years and growing several feet in a matter of days. If he'd have said "you look a lot like Iokawa... are you a relative of her's", that'd be believable. But to expect him to be able to put all the dots together after seeing her just once in her new form and not being dropped any obvious hints by her is too much.
Old 2006-11-24, 12:22   Link #25
ImClueless
Rawr

I think the only other show that has nothing happening yet still keeps me riveted to my monitor is ARIA. However, they are obviously two very different beasts. This episode once again featured a wonderful atmosphere. Also <3 Tetsu's sister's outfit at the end.
Old 2006-11-24, 17:44   Link #26
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Completely disagree. In Tetsu's mind, Iokawa Karada is a very short girl who's the same age as he is. It's not something people expect to see in their everyday life, ie a close friend suddenly aging by several years and growing several feet in a matter of days. If he'd have said "you look a lot like Iokawa... are you a relative of her's", that'd be believable. But to expect him to be able to put all the dots together after seeing her just once in her new form and not being dropped any obvious hints by her is too much.
actually that was ment to be a joke ofc hes not going to recognize her! she has grown a few inches with full developed brests

it magical how this series seem to have a slow paced plot but in fact is quite fast moving in terms of development...feeling both factors acting on me at the same time is kinda wierd but i love it ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-24, 21:07   Link #27
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This is the time where a grown man wishes he understood a lot of Japanese. :V

BEST SHOW FTW.
Old 2006-11-25, 09:56   Link #28
selwood

It looked as if the book with pictures that Shouko was reading towards the end might have been on rocks - as if she were still researching about the shrine. Any other ideas, anyone?
Old 2006-11-26, 00:34   Link #29
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Eternity of Summer

I realized a drastic increase on the animation quality paying close attention to the stylized design on the characters' looks and faces.

For this episode Karada reflects on that time she went on hiking with Amino to show her the secret spring at the deep of the mountainside.

Due to the physical limitations of her size for her age she could not made it to climb the long way and left for home frustrated. At that time, maybe she was possibly angered with Amino due that felt the invitation to the spot was just making mockery of her being a helpless child.
She refused to take Amino's hand, because felt loathing for herself on being immature for her age not to handle herself.

Again the same invitation and the same place, but this time is the adult Karada who doesn't uphold much common sense to keep her identity from being exposed, but luckily, Amino could not recognize her as an adult, though he could see her walking on the same shoes of the child Karada he knows well.

Karada realized, as she made the exhausting journey with Amino, her own physical limitations for the first time ever; not because she's hindered by age, but because she's not adept at some things.
Amino extended again his hand to her, but felt he was insulting her because reliving his previous experience with chibi Karada, then he knew well that a full-grown lady can handle herself.
Karada saw at that time Amino tried to help her not because of pity or mockering that she was helples, but because he truly cares for her and is hinted implicitly that he loves her.

This is the reason why she asked Shouko advice on how to get two people to openly apologize, although they're kept at distance.

IMO, I think it would had work more suitable and cute if Shouko had helped Karada delivering ideas on how to write and draft the letter, but the scope of the series deals on how the characters discover how to grow-up in their own terms.
Old 2006-11-26, 17:49   Link #30
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Thumbs up

You know the grown up Karada and Amino look pretty good together when standing side by side, I liked this episode becaue Karada got to spend time her dear friend even though he didnt know it was her. It also gave her the oppertunity to find out what he really thinks of her and what his memories about her consist of. Although at times she looked sad for not being able to tell Amino who she really is their time together was precious and the post card was a nice touch seeing Aminos face light up showed how much he cares for her. I love this series so much the slow pace is perfect and give plenty of time to tell the story. I think my biggest hope right now is that Hiro and Shouko find a way to mend things and they can all live together.

I was thinking does Karada know that Hiro and her are not related by blood. Hiro said she didnt know but as smart as she is i am surprised she has not found out yet
Old 2006-11-27, 02:43   Link #31
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
I give. Take me away. This one was so romantic I may never recover. That empty/full feeling in the chest. Only one thing "happened" -- or maybe two -- but I loved it. Still, I can't call this anime "slice of life." It has a strong, strong plot carrying through. Maybe it's romance? Or maybe I'd just call it "magic drama." In any case, I think its greatest effects are the emotions drawn out of us by the characters' feelings and interactions as the plot slowly evolves.
This is turning out to be my favorite anime of the season, and it has the potential to be one of my all time favorites. We start out with a fantastic situation -- something that really couldn't possibly happen -- and everything else is handled very straightforwardly and with a great emotional truth. This is what gets to me (and what I suspect got to you).

I found the first half of this episode heartbreaking. I try to always keep in mind that both Karada and Amino are younger than they look. Amino is suffering from the loss of his friend. He can't accept that she's gone, and so he continues what appears on the surface to be a hopeless search for her. The great irony is she is at his heals, following him around as he searches. The mood shift during the second half seemed very natural, and my mood shifted with Karada's.

There's another bit of messiness that I'm really looking forward to. I noticed that Karada and Amino were the same height. This is an anime, so I can't say anything definitive about it, but Karada and Amino looked closer in age than the former lovers, Hiro and Shouko. Hiro and Shouko obviously have a lot of unresolved issues. Neither of them wanted to split, and I suspect both are still feeling the aftereffects. (This is obviously the case with Shouko.) Now they live under the same roof, so eventually (I hope) they're going to have to deal with all their old baggage.

But she looks ten.
Old 2006-11-29, 22:01   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

I don't catch everything they say, either, but I don't believe we heard Kotomi say or hear Shouko's name. Kotomi just thanked her for helping her find a postbox. Then she asked her if she had friends to play with. Ito Shizuka and Koshimizu Ami: what wonderful voices.

At every moment, I kept wanting -- and even expecting -- Karada to explain who she was. But it worked well this way. And the postcard was a very nice touch.
I agree, I thought this ep was truly wonderful. You know, there's so much going on emotionally here - you have the two who have switched bodies, the man-child too big for his age who loves the girl who looks five years younger and may be falling for the one who looks his age, but is several years older. The brother/sister who aren't brother/sister and the possible romantic spark there... Everyone doesn't fit in their own skin and because of that, no one fits together, either. It's pretty heady stuff.
Old 2006-12-06, 23:07   Link #33
Skane
Anime Snark

Hmm... is it just my imagination, or is this a SHnY reference?

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-07, 00:46   Link #34
Pakxenon
popcorn

o_O

It was a mistake to watch TEXHNOLYZE, Soukou no Strain, and Sumomomo Momomo before I headed into this episode. I feel bored now.

Aside from that, excellent episode throughout. I guess episode 6 is too early for the OHSH-.
Closed Thread