AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-04, 12:44   Link #6581
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Kansas's move to secure Alex Smith is beginning to make more sense with a deadline day for franchise tags looming. The word out of Kansas is WR Dwayne Bowe will get the tag and that OT Brandon Albert will become a free agent. And in a draft where Fisher and Joeckel are expect to go in the first few picks, you'd expect Kansas to go for one of this with a likely need for an OT.

I'm intrigued as to whether Jacksonville would go for Smith or Fisher/Joeckel. Because they need both positions to be strengthened big time.
I think Jacksonville will go for a pass rusher. While Blaine Gabbert does need a lot of work, their GM already committed to having Gabbert. They might bring in a veteran free agent to provide competition for the job similar to what Cleveland is doing.

The Chiefs and Bowe just agreed on a 5 year deal and Brandon Albert was tagged. Now I'm debating on what KC will do with their No. 1 pick.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-agree-to-deal

Last edited by VTHokiePride; 2013-03-04 at 16:31. Reason: KC News
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 22:06   Link #6582
Yye1
Wide Right

my question is why the hell would anybody franchise tag a punter, a kicker i can understand, but a punter?

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 09:02   Link #6583
GDB

Because punters are players too?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 11:00   Link #6584
Yye1
Wide Right

^ the most expendable and easiest to find

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
Old 2013-03-05, 11:23   Link #6585
GDB

Unless you have a really good one who can punt it ridiculous lengths. Some teams can only punt like 30 yards because their punters suck, while others can punt 60-70 yards. Which would you rather have?

Keep in mind, the tag price for them is ridiculously low.
Old 2013-03-05, 11:55   Link #6586
Yye1
Wide Right

Why waste the tag when u can keep an elite player, and the punter is cheap anyways just pay them.without wasting the tag. In terms of a elite player, rather have an elite anything else than a punter

Old 2013-03-05, 12:02   Link #6587
GDB

Teams don't have to use the tag, so there's nothing that says if they use it, they should use it on any specific position. Perhaps there wasn't anyone they wanted/were willing to use it on at other positions due to skill or price?
Old 2013-03-05, 13:19   Link #6588
Yye1
Wide Right

... then dont use the tag, why waste it on a punter? Rather just save the money. Also most punter average 45 yards per season anyways, so it is easy to find another punter, as they are released quite frequently in a season.

Old 2013-03-05, 13:22   Link #6589
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Really don't know much about the franchise tag issues in the NFL so could someone explain to me. All I know of the franchise tag is that once a player is labeled with the franchise tag, they have no choice but to sign on with the team for a year. How much do franchise tag cost anyhow?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 13:40   Link #6590
Yye1
Wide Right

the greater of either the average of salary of a top 5 paid players of the position or 120% of the tagged player's current salary

Old 2013-03-05, 21:29   Link #6591
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Really don't know much about the franchise tag issues in the NFL so could someone explain to me. All I know of the franchise tag is that once a player is labeled with the franchise tag, they have no choice but to sign on with the team for a year. How much do franchise tag cost anyhow?
This article may help answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
... then dont use the tag, why waste it on a punter? Rather just save the money. Also most punter average 45 yards per season anyways, so it is easy to find another punter, as they are released quite frequently in a season.
So you're saying that finding someone of Shane Lechler caliber is easy ?

Last edited by sky black swordman; 2013-03-05 at 22:21.
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 22:33   Link #6592
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
The Colts obviously thought that Pat McAfee is a valued player in terms of net field position. Finding a good punter is not as easy as your making it seem; it's more than just kicking the ball as hard as you can. You have to find someone who knows how to maintain enough air under the punt to allow teammates to get down the field to make a tackle on the returner for minimal gain or force a fair catch while having good distance at the same time. The special punters know how to counter punt to get the opposing team pinned deep in their own territory.

Also, McAfee has FG kicking experience from his college days. He'll probably be the player sent out should the Colts ever need a desperation super-long FG, like a 58-60 yarder.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 23:14   Link #6593
Yye1
Wide Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
This article may help answer your questions.

So you're saying that finding someone of Shane Lechler caliber is easy ?
Actually Shane Lechler punted an average of 47.2 yards in 2012, which is good for 11th in the league, while number 1 is Brandon Fields how makes 1.4 mil, and shane lechler makes 3.8 mil, which is peanuts in the NFL, so why even bother applying the tag. Good punters like Josh Bidwell and Daniel Sepulveda are out in free agency

Old 2013-03-05, 23:22   Link #6594
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Bidwell is 36 and hasn't played in the NFL in two years (basically retired) and Sepulveda hasn't played in a year and has had two knee surgeries.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 23:26   Link #6595
Yye1
Wide Right

So, many punters play after one or two year layoffs and do quite well

Old 2013-03-06, 00:32   Link #6596
sky black swordman

Quote:
Actually Shane Lechler punted an average of 47.2 yards in 2012, which is good for 11th in the league, while number 1 is Brandon Fields how makes 1.4 mil, and shane lechler makes 3.8 mil, which is peanuts in the NFL, so why even bother applying the tag. Good punters like Josh Bidwell and Daniel Sepulveda are out in free agency
According to ESPN, Shane Lechler is ranked 10. It was only in 2012, that Brandon Fields ranked higher than Shane Lechler. Up until then Shane Lechler always ranked higher than him in the Punting AVG.
And I'm not sure you are aware but, Shane Lechler is set to be a free agent this year.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:26   Link #6597
Yye1
Wide Right

^ so? I dont keep up with the raiders

Old 2013-03-06, 05:03   Link #6598
sky black swordman

^Hmm, I see.
Anyway as far as a punter getting franchise tag, I won't say it's a great move but it is a good move and one that I can understand.
I think @Dilla said it best "Finding a good punter is not as easy as your making it seem".
Old 2013-03-06, 11:55   Link #6599
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Flacco got signed to a 120 million deal ... am I the only one who thinks that was just crazy ?
Old 2013-03-06, 14:32   Link #6600
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Flacco got signed to a 120 million deal ... am I the only one who thinks that was just crazy ?
$120.6 to be precise. I think he deserves money, but not that much money. I was thinking more along the lines of $18 million a year for 6 years. Right now, the Ravens have to address re-signing their other free agents and with Flacco's new contract, everything's going to be a lot harder. Ed Reed and Ellerbe really need to be resigned to help the defense. Cary Williams will probably demand too much money for them and he's a nickel CB to me. Sure he played great, but he can use some work.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports