AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-30, 10:58   Link #2021
Yaya-chan
NHK desu.

Yay, finally I'm able to post.

Kanojotachi no portrait...
I still got chills and emotional remembering that.
Yappari, it was a nice ending! ^_^

I just want to thank you guys for introducing us to Simoun world.
Special thanks to Starks, Wowo, Warainagara, Futaba-chan, Kaoru Chujo, Yui from Okinawa, NegativeZero, Seska, Simon, Fignae, and all AS Simoun fans.

Well, it's time to rewatch all and....... fanfics ahoy!!

Aa-e-ru ºo.oº/

Spoiler for NegativeZero's sibyllae memory:
Yaya-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 13:28   Link #2022
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
DVD 2 has been out for a week now - any word on sales? 145san on 2ch is saying 1000-2000, but I don't know which volume/dates that covers.
I guess it's about vol 1.
But it seems certain that vol 2 was not in the weekly best selling Anime DVD 20, either.
Details for below-20s will be known later.
If I get any info, I will put here.
Oh, somebody asked how to see the sales record before.
Search with the keyword, "アニメ DVD," in 2ch.
There are several threads dedicated only to that.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 13:59   Link #2023
fignae
floofer. floof.

It's only my second trip through 26, don't laugh at me.

Spoiler for my very sketchy reactions to the finale. not an essay, so the paragraphs don't tie up very well:
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 14:20   Link #2024
Seska

Mmm, until now my Series, that all i was wathing are ending now.

Has someone a list of the new Series that are about to start?

I need to go on. I have the desiree to watch Stories.

Or are they planing to produce some more animate stuff in studio deen?

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 16:21   Link #2025
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
Mmm, until now my Series, that all i was wathing are ending now. Has someone a list of the new Series that are about to start? I need to go on. I have the desiree to watch Stories. Or are they planing to produce some more animate stuff in studio deen...?
Random Curiosity has a good run-through of all the new series. And I talked here about the ones cast/staff from Simoun are in (including one from Studio Deen). And I have a calendar of which shows are on when during the week, with cast/staff highlights.

There's a full preview show for CODE GEASS out (in the Library, so to speak), and Yukana (Dominura, Eri, Erif) is one of the stars of that. She is interviewed briefly in the preview, around 8:30.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-30 at 16:48.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 21:58   Link #2026
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Some thread stats

Hi guys. Reading both the Simoun and Strawberry Panic threads here, I've seen some talk about the popularity of these two shows based on the number of posts in each thread.

This got me curious and I ran some stats. I think they might be interesting to others as well:

Simoun (overall)

129 total posters
2000 total posts

497 (24.9%) posts by the top 2 posters
816 (40.8%) posts by the top 5 posters
1207 (60.4%) posts by the top 10 posters
1613 (80.7%) posts by the top 20 posters

387 (19.4%) posts by the remaining 109 posters
Spoiler for Top 20 posters:

Strawberry Panic (overall)

159 total posters
1680 total posts

278 (16.5%) posts by the top 2 posters
505 (30.1%) posts by the top 5 posters
827 (49.2%) posts by the top 10 posters
1163 (69.2%) posts by the top 20 posters

517 (30.8%) posts by the remaining 139 posters

Simoun (the latter half)

68 total posters
1000 total posts

185 (18.5%) posts by the top 2 posters
382 (38.2%) posts by the top 5 posters
622 (62.2%) posts by the top 10 posters
858 (85.8%) posts by the top 20 posters

142 (14.2%) posts by the remaining 48 posters

Strawberry Panic (the latter half)

78 total posters
840 total posts

169 (20.1%) posts by the top 2 posters
351 (41.8%) posts by the top 5 posters
528 (62.9%) posts by the top 10 posters
696 (82.9%) posts by the top 20 posters

144 (17.1%) posts by the remaining 58 posters

Spoiler for boring methodology stuff:

I hope that posting this in both threads is not a problem. A separate thread just for this in the general section doesn't seem necessary and posting this in just one of the threads feels sort of biased to me. For the sake of full disclosure, I myself like SP quite a lot and Simoun not so much; but I ran the numbers basically just to verify a couple of impressions I got from these threads over the course of the series' runs and not to cause trouble.

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-09-30 at 22:37.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 22:57   Link #2027
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka
Hi guys. Reading both the Simoun and Strawberry Panic threads here, I've seen some talk about the popularity of these two shows based on the number of posts in each thread.

This got me curious and I ran some stats. I think they might be interesting to others as well.
I suspect that if you ran the numbers for the first half of each series, they'd show an even more marked difference. Back then, Simoun was a niche show with a small hard core of passionate fans willing to puzzle through the bits that the early fansubs didn't explain... and both willing and clueful enough to watch the raws when the early fansub effort faltered. In fact, the entire Simoun-Fans effort is an outgrowth of that early hard core of fans; you could say that this thread actually wound up producing its own fansub.

I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all of the posts from before Simoun-Fans got underway were from the top 20 posters or so; I'd guess that it's the numbers from back then that are responsible for the differences in the overall totals. If you look at the second half numbers, the two threads have become much more similar since then.

I'd also be interested in how the average number of non-quoted lines (or words, or characters) compares between the two threads....
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-30, 23:01   Link #2028
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
I'd also be interested in how the average number of non-quoted lines (or words, or characters) compares between the two threads....
And what would the results tell you?
Old 2006-09-30, 23:55   Link #2029
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
I suspect that if you ran the numbers for the first half of each series
Simoun (the first half)

93 total posters
1000 total posts

312 (31.2%) posts by the top 2 posters
483 (48.3%) posts by the top 5 posters
697 (69.7%) posts by the top 10 posters
823 (82.3%) posts by the top 20 posters

177 (17.7%) posts by the remaining 73 posters

Strawberry Panic (the first half)

115 total posters
840 total posts

145 (17.3%) posts by the top 2 posters
282 (33.6%) posts by the top 5 posters
433 (51.5%) posts by the top 10 posters
605 (72.0%) posts by the top 20 posters

235 (28.0%) posts by the remaining 95 posters

To be sure, I'll repeat that this is not the first half of the series, only that of the posts.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Simoun would win this one
Old 2006-10-01, 02:29   Link #2030
fignae
floofer. floof.

Well, a series comparison between Stopani and Simoun is fun and interesting, and I like seeing it, but it shouldn't be taken on more than a casual basis, as there are just too many factors involved. Availability of fansubs, type of fans, nature of the series, how much there is to say about it, scope of appeal.... Actually what's striking for me is not the difference but the similarity between the two sets of statistics. To get a better picture, we should not only compare these two (niche?) series with each other but with another, fansubbed, series.

I, like many others in this thread, watch SP for light entertainment, and am dreadfully behind though I'll finish it sometime... I visited that thread once, but felt that my words would have been out of place. *did not even visit AS before Simoun*

edit: Yes, I disagreed with Simon too, when he said that. Oh, doesn't matter. Here's presenting the slightly off tracker stats. A BIG thank you to yononaka!

On a different topic, I've seen that Code Geass special. Looks like a Gundam ripoff. Where Seed is concerned, I practically saw Lacus and Cagalli, Kira and Athrun. I'd rather look for Yukana in Mai-Otome Zwei, heh.

And I keep meaning to say this but forgot: in the Payopayo radio show Kaoru Chujo referred to above, Morinaga Rika and Takahashi Mikako spoke of Mamiina and Rodore for a few seconds. One of them said it's one-sided, then that it's not. Very cute. The other priceless moment, for me, was her Rodoreamon voice. *sniffs*

Last edited by fignae; 2006-10-01 at 06:53.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 03:27   Link #2031
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Well, a series comparison between Stopani and Simoun is fun and interesting, and I like seeing it, but it shouldn't be taken on more than a casual basis, as there are just too many factors involved. Availability of fansubs, type of fans, nature of the series, how much there is to say about it, scope of appeal.... Actually what's striking for me is not the difference but the similarity between the two sets of statistics. To get a better picture, we should not only compare these two (niche?) series with each other but with another, fansubbed, series.
Certainly this is not supposed to be a be all and end all statistic. One of the things that made me do it was stuff like the statement below, because to me it had always seemed that this thread was largely carried by just a few very active individuals:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Now I'm no marketing expert, but this thread has had 107k views - second only to Rozen Maiden in the Fansubs forum. Yes, the numbers are skewed by 2005's Unfortunate Event and Haruhi getting its own sub-forum; but even so, there are a whole bunch of us here who want to give you our money.
(Not that I'm opposed to Simoun getting picked up.)

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
To get a better picture, we should not only compare these two (niche?) series with each other but with another, fansubbed, series.
Here you go. The "top heavy" effect is still there, but the scale is somewhat different. (The beginning of the thread was lost in the big crash.)

Rozen Maiden ~Träumend~ (overall)

214 total posters
6157 total posts

1137 (18.5%) posts by the top 2 posters
2471 (40.1%) posts by the top 5 posters
3601 (58.5%) posts by the top 10 posters
4695 (76.3%) posts by the top 20 posters

1462 (23.7%) posts by the remaining 194 posters

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-10-01 at 04:21.
Old 2006-10-01, 03:45   Link #2032
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Random Curiosity has a good run-through of all the new series. And I talked here about the ones cast/staff from Simoun are in (including one from Studio Deen). And I have a calendar of which shows are on when during the week, with cast/staff highlights.

There's a full preview show for CODE GEASS out (in the Library, so to speak), and Yukana (Dominura, Eri, Erif) is one of the stars of that. She is interviewed briefly in the preview, around 8:30.
Thanks, you opend my eyes. I was blind the whole time

Mmm, i dont know, but CODE GEASS, the draw technic. It kind reminds me of some artist. You know the Music video from Daft-Punk? Interstella 5555?
Its this the same studio? Toei Animation? Creator of Captain Harlock?

Hehe, where i know it? Dont forgett how old i am

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 05:47   Link #2033
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Certainly this is not supposed to be a be all and end all statistic. One of the things that made me do it was stuff like the statement below, because to me it had always seemed that this thread was largely carried by just a few very active individuals
You're right, making claims about series popularity based on thread activity is largely specious. However, I don't think it's completely specious - I went for view count rather than post count because AS seems to have a very high guest-to-registered user ratio, which I suspect makes it less sensitive to the kind of Pareto phenomenon you've highlighted. My gut feeling is that if this thread had simply been a small clique of users feeding off each other then we'd have a much lower view count for the number of posts. Though on the other hand I have no idea how AS distinguishes unique views (session tracking?), so maybe a small population of avid readers would skew that figure as well.

That's why I asserted a market size of "a whole bunch" - my claim has a level of precision appropriate to the dodgy data it's based on

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do the numbers. It would actually be rather neat if the forum software generated these stats all the time.

EDIT: I should perhaps mention that I'm also watching Sto-Pani, although I'm not sure what this tells you...

Last edited by Simon; 2006-10-01 at 13:23.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 08:22   Link #2034
guess

Quote:

Here you go. The "top heavy" effect is still there, but the scale is somewhat different. (The beginning of the thread was lost in the big crash.)

Rozen Maiden ~Träumend~ (overall)

214 total posters
6157 total posts

1137 (18.5%) posts by the top 2 posters
2471 (40.1%) posts by the top 5 posters
3601 (58.5%) posts by the top 10 posters
4695 (76.3%) posts by the top 20 posters

1462 (23.7%) posts by the remaining 194 posters
That was suprising results. They are actually not that much different from simoun and strawberry panic. so it could be that largly the same people who post on simoun and SP also make up the ones on Rozen maiden, or all people on this forum post on all series evenly, or they are actually done by different groups of people but somehow generate similar results. Of course, losing early data could be one of the factors as well but I doubt it would affect this much. I did not expect this.
Old 2006-10-01, 14:01   Link #2035
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm sure that TV ratings and DVD sales will show Strawberry Panic far more popular than Simoun in Japan. This week, SP's fourth DVD is in the top 20. I've never seen a Simoun DVD there. On the other hand, the two series do have about the same number of threads on 2channel (in the 60s).

The stats are very interesting, especially with the addition of Rozen Maiden. Thanks for providing them. Simoun's posting is more concentrated than either of the other two, but Rozen Maiden is more concentrated than SP. Perhaps based on my own dubious instincts, I wonder if running the stats was an attempt by an SP fan to try to cut Simoun down to SP's level on AS? Be that as it may, I really do think that SP must be more popular outside Japan, too. The repeat posters on Simoun were probably also repeat viewers, if my own viewing is anything to go by.

I followed both series and both threads, and I'll bet that the average number of words in a Simoun post was about double that of SP, as well, as Futaba-chan implies with the question about non-quoted lines. I prefer to think this means we're educated, intelligent and highly verbal, but maybe it just means we like to gab.

SP was an entertaining exploitation show, with shallow characters and relationships, nice character design, and good moe voice acting. Nakahara Mai, Shimizu Ai, Matsuki Miyu (Anguras in Simoun, Hikari in SP) and Nabatame Hitomi were excellent. It was an enjoyable pastiche of shows like Marimite and Oniisama-e, and better than early criticisms said.

Simoun was one of the great anime, with deep characters and relationships, an inventive setting, a meaningful story, outstanding acting, brilliant music, and strong character design and background art.

I think that some people who would like serious anime (e.g., Honey & Clover) were put off from Simoun by the yuri aspects of the OP and by the complex terminology and unusual situation. Whereas the simpler and more overt yuri of SP could appeal to anyone with otaku tastes. The Megami-ization visible in the second Simoun manga series and recent PR is an indication of which kind of show attracts the most viewers. Not to put anyone down. I enjoyed SP myself. But to compare it with Simoun is laughable, in my opinion.

On a complete tangent, I want to mention Toyoguchi Megumi's performance as Honoka in The Third. The show is very slow for me, but I think she is creating a wonderful character there. You can hear tones of Alti, but the freshness and energy of the character is really great. I especially like her in episode 19. Of course, the character design, the words in the script, and the animation all help, but she builds on them beautifully.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-10-01 at 14:42.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 16:16   Link #2036
Conri

Kaoru Chujo: Nice post. I think it says something that I like to rewatch the 2nd OP of StoPa more than the show itself. I don't regret it, and the characters are pretty (good fanart fodder), but it is something I get into easily and forget easily. Simoun is exactly the opposite, and I can only hope that DVD sales will eventually begin to reflect this. Of course, I don't expect it to ever approach StoPa sales.

Quote:
This got me curious and I ran some stats. I think they might be interesting to others as well:
Damn, I shouldn't have posted my lone post to the StoPa forum, leaving you with a measly 158 posters.

I wonder how the numbers for Simoun might have changed if the show had received consistent fansubbing. I was hooked very early on (ep 3), but slowness/complete lack of fansubs forced me to put this on the backburner. Then, due to falling way behind on nearly all my shows, I didn't realize until a few weeks ago the existence of Simoun-Fans, Simoun Project and wo-subs (big thanks to all of you!).
=====

warainagara & Simon Thank you for the answers on the novels (looks like there will be three, then!) and the manga.

What issue did Megami Magazine start publishing the Sybilla Fanclub column and manga? I might pick up the issues if I can find them for sale.
======

On rewatching the first two episodes: The first episode was much more enjoyable now that I'm comfortable with the world and familiar with all the characters--the first time through, the number of characters I was shown but didn't even get a name for was overwhelming. Pile that on top of the new lingo and society and it's no wonder people give up so fast. I think I had some advantages: I'm very used to strange sci-fi/fantasy worlds from novels, and "extreme" gender twists don't throw me off, they attract me.

The second episode reminded me of the sluggish start (made slower by necessary explanations) as well as why I disliked Aaeru at the beginning. I was afraid she was going to be that stereotypical cocky upstart who blows everyone else away despite never touching a simoun before. I'm glad that's not what the show was about at all.

What really struck me about episode two was the ending...the scenes at the fountain and the scenes with Neviril returning to the Arcus Prima and Aaeru waiting for her {their first flight together}. Now that I've finished the show, these scenes speak volumes about the overall themes of the show.

"Adopt me!"
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 17:20   Link #2037
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
This week, SP's fourth DVD is in the top 20
That's too bad, I was kind of hoping SP's sales would be bad. But it's a lot more accessible show than Simoun, you can watch one or two episodes and know perfectly well what exactly to expect from it (unless some big change happens in the second half of the show that I haven't watched but I doubt it). While in Simoun's case I compared it with Last Exile in the beginning and with Haibane Renmei in the end which shows a significant change.

Quote:
The second episode reminded me of the sluggish start (made slower by necessary explanations) as well as why I disliked Aaeru at the beginning. I was afraid she was going to be that stereotypical cocky upstart who blows everyone else away despite never touching a simoun before.
Well, I was afraid that Aaeru was going to be like Arika from Mai-Otome (a character whom I hate with a passion) and she ended as one of my favourite anime characters ever so I guess she has suprised pleasantly quite a lot of viewers.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 18:28   Link #2038
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Actually, the character that worried me the most was Amuria and her "Motto tsuyoku!" stuff. After the fourth time I heard her say that, all kinds of horrible were going through my head about this series turning into Gundam with lesbians.
Spoiler:

I know now that pretty much everything I just said was wrong, but I actually almost dropped the show then because of that. Fortunately, episode two and Erii came along to save the day. That's when I knew I found something worth finding.
I always liked Aaeru. I picked up early on that she wasn't that typical upstart that everyone else was talking about. And her blatant honesty was just awesome from the very beginning.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 19:07   Link #2039
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Well, stats are just stats.
And they sometimes (actually very often) mislead its readers.
I think we don't need to be sensitive to them at all.

Nana's DVD and manga sales are one of the tops among the whole anime DVD and mangas, but its thread count in 2ch and here animesuki is incomparably lower than Simoun and Stopani.
That could mean Nana is broadly popular beyond the anime-fan groups, which is apparently true.
But it also means stats focused on specific aspects don't reflect popularity or even quality of the title in general.
Then do I mean DVD or manga sales is the absolute standard of popularity or quality?
No, it's also one of them.

By the way, Stopani and Simoun are the two titles that have most anti-fans in 2ch anime section among the recently finished titles, which is apparently due to lesbianism in both titles.
Difference in its message and language doesn't seem to appeal to the public nor to general anime fans except yuri sympathizers.

But yes, as anime fans accepting yuri, we may well have something to say.
I have been following both shows and interacting with other fans of both shows while having interest in the views that the fans from both sides have on the other title.
I often get obsessed with useless issues, which sometimes hinders me from doing what I need to do for my real life.
Let me summarize as a reporter what I have seen in 2ch, forums in my country and other English forums.
It may be deviant from the current issue,
includes no personal opinion here although I may agree to some,
and most importantly I don't intend to induce a competition or tension between the two shows.

Spoiler:
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-01, 19:16   Link #2040
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conri
What issue did Megami Magazine start publishing the Sybilla Fanclub column and manga? I might pick up the issues if I can find them for sale.
v77 (October) had #5, so I'm pretty certain it started in v73 (June). A second-hand copy of v73 should reach me in the next day or two, so if I'm wrong I'll post accordingly. You can buy current issues from Amazon, although they sell out fairly quickly - with a bit of hunting I've managed to pick up the missing back-issues from YJ Auctions.

EDIT: Oops, I only answered half your question. Sybilla Fanclub started in v73, the manga started in v75 (August).

Quote:

"Adopt me!"
Aww, that's so cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
(unless some big change happens in the second half of the show that I haven't watched but I doubt it)
Well I admit I nearly didn't get to the second half either - the first few episodes had me shaking my head in disbelief, convinced it was a Maria-mite parody for loser fanboys (to borrow Erica's wonderful term). But somehow I couldn't quite bring myself to drop it, then from about the moment Chikaru appeared I found myself forgiving its trespasses (which are many - not that Simoun is perfect either, mind).

But actually things do get better later. Junko Noda shines as Miyuki, especially around eps 19-20 which I personally found quite moving (then again I have a Reki complex, and Miyuki is a character I find easy to relate to - so maybe I'm a bit biased here). So despite slipping a few episodes behind recently I intend to watch it to the end - it sure ain't no Simoun, but then it never claimed to be.

Oh, and after all my waffling about lies, damned lies and statistics, I left out the one point that actually matters: whatever Simoun fans lack in quantity, we more than make up for in quality

Last edited by Simon; 2006-10-01 at 21:35.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri