AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-19, 06:21   Link #1
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Your favourite cliffhanger?

Yeah, in a nutshell, what's your favourite cliffhanger?

Mine would be Code Geass R1: Episode 25
It's the most evil, pumped up and simply fantastic cliffhanger i've ever seen, even though barely anything happens.
The music, the dialogue, the voice acting, the screaming... Suzaku's LELOUCH! (+Echo) still sends chills down my spine, the gunshot was the icing on the cake and to top it all, we had to wait months before the outcome was revealed. I could watch it over and over again.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 23:22   Link #2
rimaa

This is going to be the most spoiler-ific thread . I agree with you that Code Geass' cliffhanger at the end of season one was one heck of a cliffhanger. In terms of animes that ended in a cliffhanger, I think Neon Genesis Evangelion comes to mind for many people but for a more recent anime Gundam 00 ended with an exciting cliffhanger that made you really want to check out season 2 when its aired. However, in terms of mid-series' cliff-hangers I liked Crest of the Stars' episode 12 when
Spoiler for what happens:
. Finally, many series' first episodes end with great cliffhangers to draw you into the series. Among these I liked "Shakugan no Shana" when you find out at the end of episode one that
. I also liked "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni" cliffhanger at the end of episode one where
. Gurren Laggen also had a ton of episodes that ended in cliff hangers, among these my favorite was when one of the episodes ended with
Spoiler for nia:
rimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:01   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Gundam 00's ending wasn't necessarily a cliffhanger. All of the final events had been concluded, and extra scenes were added as a hint towards the second season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
It's the most evil, pumped up and simply fantastic cliffhanger i've ever seen, even though barely anything happens.
The music, the dialogue, the voice acting, the screaming... Suzaku's LELOUCH! (+Echo) still sends chills down my spine, the gunshot was the icing on the cake and to top it all, we had to wait months before the outcome was revealed. I could watch it over and over again.
Here's where we disagree...
Code Geass' cliffhanger was a result of poor directing, writing, and pacing towards the end of the first season, whereas most series attempt at a cliffhanger to leave the viewer anxious to watch the next episode.

As stated above, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is one of the few series I found to have done it well.
I also personally found True Tears' cliffhangers good: powerful but not overly contrived.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 08:58   Link #4
Hikari no Clover

SLAM DUNK
the game that Shohoku plays with Sannoh!!!
especially the last few minutes...
Hikari no Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 16:07   Link #5
GreatTeacherKen

I love the phone call scene in episode 7 of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. The way the conversation grows increasingly tense building up to that maniacal laugh (one of the few evil laughs that I actually find scary). Very creepy way to end the episode.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 16:19   Link #6
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Ending of Spice and Wolf...because the main plot did not progress at all, and was an obvious cliff hanger for another season...
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 16:58   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I also disagree about Code Geass' cliffhanger, although I must say that it could be worse.

I judge cliffhangers by how much it makes me want to watch the next episode yet not being overly annoying. In this aspect, I would say that Higurashi, Claymore, Suzuka*, Nodame Cantabile, and of course, Shion no Ou.

EDIT: * = sometimes annoying.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 17:17   Link #8
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Well, we all know that the main downside of the cliffhanger in Code Geass is not how it was executed, but that it came instead of a proper resolution after months of waiting. That, after more months of waiting, the cliffhanger situation is resolved in a "nobody cares, let's go on with the second season" manner doesn't help matters any.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 15:19   Link #9
Amray

That would be Elfen Lied. No doubt.
The ending to that anime series was great and I loved it. Quite a thrillery ending that made me think a lot. Beautiful.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 22:29   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can't really specify a "favorite" cliffhanger for all time, but I recall waiting impatiently to discover whether Nodame actually
Spoiler:

Hikaru no Go has many tense cliffhangers where they leave the outcome of important Go matches unresolved until the next episode. As KholdStare mentioned, Shion no Ou follows this tradition as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 01:33   Link #11
kanedazero

From Macross Plus:

Spoiler:
kanedazero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 06:18   Link #12
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Yeah, in a nutshell, what's your favourite cliffhanger?

that's mine too. It has so much impact because it ends the series rather than an episode. Never seen anything like that before!
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 08:15   Link #13
problemedchild
ô_ô

Most likely the end of Code Geass season one. A lot of the other cliffhangers aren't as bad since the episode will air within a week or the fact that the person in question is shielded by plot armor...
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 19:40   Link #14
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Shirou, Saber, Archer and Rin versus Berserker battle was the best cliffhanger in the Fate/Stay Night anime. My next favorite cliffhanger was Saber's re-confrontation with Gilgamesh after her date with Shirou.

My favorite cliffhanger In Darker Than Black was episode 24. Hei's fight with the blood-spilling contractor that preceded the ending was an enjoyable and thrilling cliffhanger.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 23:03   Link #15
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

GaoGaiGar Final
Spoiler:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Spoiler:

Gundam Seed Destiny- Now the end of the first episode I really loved it especially the line from Durandal and the with the beginning of the ending song, I thought it was a great start to what it seems to be a very promising show. *sign* It is just a shame as what happened to the show at the end.