AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-08-14, 18:29   Link #1
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Phantasy Star Discussion

So, are there any Phantasy Star fans around here looking forward to playing this before it gets hacked like every other PSO game before it? Played at least 1000 (almost definitely more) hours in total on the dreamcast versions and haven't played much since due to various problems but really looking forward to this one with all the information pouring out, and having played the PS2 Premiere disk (first chapter of story mode) it's looking quite a bit better. Control's much easier (particularly running away) and using R1 to switch to another weapon was a great idea, far better than the mini weapon choosing menu of old.

So, who's getting it, what version and what're you planning on playing as? I'm still stuck between the PC and PS2 versions but will most likely end up being the team force. Again.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 19:33   Link #2
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
I will be getting the PC version. Why?

With the PS2 version they will be downloading updates and what not to your memory card. That means you need to have quite a bit of free space availible on your memory card. I have 2 myself and both are full to the brim.

Can't wait for October 25th
This will also make a small dent with my Wii fund.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 23:45   Link #3
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Given how often I end up online in PSOBB, I'll probably be giving PSU a shot...
Old 2006-08-15, 01:09   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i hope they use much larger group linkshells/guildchat functions this time like in FFXI or other games. i think PSOBB had 10 members max? what should we call the official animesuki group? NoNighcatgris? or PSU AS? or team potato works j/k
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 13:07   Link #5
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I'm a Phantasy Star fan, played the four main games, put many, many hours into the Dreamcast versions, and have played the GameCube versions a lot.

I will be getting Phantasy Star Universe for PC. I'll probably be a human male first again that looks like me. Or maybe a newman male, now that I think of it. I'll see.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 00:28   Link #6
jtrog

I will most likely get the PC version. I doubtfully wont use the online version as reasons mentioned above. (did play 1st 3 versions genesis) and even today rate those as 'best story evolving game I ever played'.
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 01:26   Link #7
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

I think it will be harder to hack in PSU due to the fact that everything will be server based now

[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
Old 2006-08-16, 04:18   Link #8
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Im only buying it if it doesnt cost money...Does anyone know yet? For online play I mean(Unless Single Player is really good)
Old 2006-08-16, 11:08   Link #9
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Online play will more than likely cost money. They did it for EP1, 2 and 3 and Blue Burst so why won't they do it now?

as taken from PSO-World
Quote:
1.8: Will there be a fee to play online?
A: Yes, you will have to pay to play online. For the Japanese version, you will need to create a Sega Link account. If you register your account by the end of January, you will receive an in-game item and be able to download an exclusive screensaver. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to win a Netcash card.

If you wish to register a Sega Link account through the Japanese site, for Japanese PSU, you are required to have a PC that is capable of inputting Japanese, in order to complete the registration. A full guide for the procedure, can be found here, on PSO-World.

PSU will cost 1260 yen (8.94 EU/ 10.53 USD) for your first 30 days online. After that, it will cost 1050 yen (7.45 EU/8.78 USD) to renew your account each month, if you use the automatic renewal service.

The term '30 days' refers to an available window of game time, rather than actual playtime. By paying for '30 days' you are essentially activating your online account for 30 real-time days. If you only login to your account for one hour during that period, that's your loss!

Price plans for the USA/EU releases of PSU have not been announced, or, if it'll even cost the rest of the world to play online. So watch this space.

Last edited by uLTraCarL-; 2006-08-16 at 11:35.
Old 2006-08-16, 14:57   Link #10
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
did play 1st 3 versions genesis
What? Those are not 'versions' of a game. Those were regular RPGs.
You didn't play Phantasy Star IV? You are missing out...
Quote:
I think it will be harder to hack in PSU due to the fact that everything will be server based now
PSO: Blue Burst was also server-based, and there was still plenty of cheating going on on the English version. The Japanese version was okay, though. It all comes down to the fact that the English version always gets bad treatment. It's almost as if Sonic Team is racist.
Old 2006-08-16, 15:21   Link #11
TamaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL-
LOL no! Actually, in a way, it already has been hacked. The closed PC beta of PSU, which Sega ran and closed a few months ago, was leaked. Normally, you couldn't do anything at all with it since it was online only, but the guys behind the PSO hacks managed to hack into it enough so that you could at least get into the character creation screen. It's not much, but if you've been waiting for PSU for a LONG time now, it's a fun diversion.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the single player game, don't really care about playing online. One of the features I'm REALLY looking forward to is the lolibots, my own customizable robotic lolis doing whatever I want them to do!
TamaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 15:30   Link #12
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
PSO: Blue Burst was also server-based, and there was still plenty of cheating going on on the English version. The Japanese version was okay, though. It all comes down to the fact that the English version always gets bad treatment. It's almost as if Sonic Team is racist.
really? damn well I never was interested in Blue Burst. I was sort of not keen with the idea of redoing PSO for the 3rd time lol even if there was more stuff at the end -_-

Old 2006-08-16, 18:36   Link #13
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Thanks...A Bit dissapointing you have to pay even if its on Live
Old 2006-08-16, 18:58   Link #14
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaNeko
LOL no! Actually, in a way, it already has been hacked. The closed PC beta of PSU, which Sega ran and closed a few months ago, was leaked. Normally, you couldn't do anything at all with it since it was online only, but the guys behind the PSO hacks managed to hack into it enough so that you could at least get into the character creation screen. It's not much, but if you've been waiting for PSU for a LONG time now, it's a fun diversion.
True, but that's just the character select screen. It should be more difficult to actually mess around with the game itself seen as you connect to the ships after you've done all that stuff. Hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL-
really? damn well I never was interested in Blue Burst. I was sort of not keen with the idea of redoing PSO for the 3rd time lol even if there was more stuff at the end -_-
It wasn't worth it to be honest Like Benoit rightly pointed out, the English version had so few updates and such poor service it wasn't worth the trouble. It took months to even get all the stuff from PSO v2 in there (I got to L120 on Vhard. As a FOnewearl. Oh yes.) The 2 extra Episode 4 levels were admittedly kinda cool though, especially Desert with its super teleporting enemies.

I don't see any chance at all we'll escape paying either, considering they've been charging from the start. I've got pretty lucky so far because in the UK v2 they couldn't charge the fee (something about a condition in the dreamcast's internet... dreamkey was it? saying you couldn't charge monthly fees I believe) which is when I did the bulk of playing Still, so long as they put the money to good use I don't mind paying. If we're treated like dirt again then it's a different story entirely.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 13:19   Link #15
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
It took months to even get all the stuff from PSO v2 in there
I was mainly talking about the security service. It's true it took a long time for existing content to get on there, but they did that to keep people playing, and being able to serve new content every month. For veteran PSO players, it sucks, but on the other hand, it's understandable as a business practice.
Quote:
I've got pretty lucky so far because in the UK v2 they couldn't charge the fee (something about a condition in the dreamcast's internet... dreamkey was it? saying you couldn't charge monthly fees I believe)
Correct, it was in the DreamArena Terms of Service, or something similar. Didn't make the phone bill any less of a problem, though. I wish I could use broadband on it. I tried a method where the connection would be rooted through the PC and such, but it didn't work. Maybe someday I'll get an adapter from eBay or something.
Quote:
Still, so long as they put the money to good use I don't mind paying. If we're treated like dirt again then it's a different story entirely.
We barely got any content on the first Dreamcast version. It got much better when the Americans had to start paying, though. The point is, if we pay, we're guaranteed to get at least a decent amount of content. But I wish they would treat us equally.
Old 2006-08-17, 14:39   Link #16
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
i hope they use much larger group linkshells/guildchat functions this time like in FFXI or other games. i think PSOBB had 10 members max? what should we call the official animesuki group? NoNighcatgris? or PSU AS? or team potato works j/k
The size of PSOBB teams can be greatly expanded as the team acquires more team points. I believe the largest team on US/Europe PSOBB is 100 or more members (with several satellite teams).
Old 2006-08-18, 04:50   Link #17
kenshin77

I will be playing PSU, it will be the first time playing Phantasy Star game. Hope it turns out great.
kenshin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:13   Link #18
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

I wonder if its even worth paying a monthly fee to play a Diablo-like that isn't even a MMORPG.
Old 2006-08-19, 07:35   Link #19
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

1. MMORPGs suck.

2. It's fun (at least PSO was, this game builds on it).
Old 2006-09-07, 04:57   Link #20
Sides

So how many of you guys already bought the jpn version ?
Stupid me, got the ps2 game and completely forgot about the dnas ^^.
However there is a real story mode in PSU, with realtime cutscreen.
The storymode has only 12 chapter and the final boss fight is pretty lame,
and overrall it is too easy.
After finishing the 4th chapter the offline extra modus will be unlocked,
where you can play the free missions offline, with your own custom character.
As for the ps2 version , a lot of framerate issues, especially later in the game,
when the ememies starts to cast spells.
It makes it feel like everything is running in slowmotion ^^, kind of annoying.
Honestly i wouldn't recommend the ps2 version,
instead get either the xbox360 or PC release.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote