AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-11-28, 00:03   Link #28001
Justin_Brett

That's certainly a fair point, but unless it's explicitly shown that some of what Hayate is trying to stamp out is worse than her own policies (ie, not Rio's group), I'm not going to be very inclined to see things from Nanoha's point of view.

I'd also argue that Teana's appearances have been fairly devoid of any actual professionalism. Part of the reason she's so pissed at Nanoha is because she hurt Wendi - which is far more important to her than why that had to happen in the first place. And shortly after they meet, her dialogue devolves into little more than name-calling.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 01:57   Link #28002
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Spoiler for Usual MD update:

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 12:24   Link #28003
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Spoiler for Usual MD update:
Hmmm, I still question the need to Supercharge Sette, but I'll wait to see where you're going with it. But as of right now, my main concern is Yami. Is it just me, or is it starting to seem like her Device is trying to prevent her from pulling a Heel-Face Turn...?
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 12:43   Link #28004
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Uploaded Future Tense, Chapter 24: Bloodsport to ff.net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
That's certainly a fair point, but unless it's explicitly shown that some of what Hayate is trying to stamp out is worse than her own policies (ie, not Rio's group), I'm not going to be very inclined to see things from Nanoha's point of view.
In short, terrorism. It's what (seemingly) killed Nanoha, and what Runessa/Tredia engaged with the Mariages, and also later what seemingly killed Shamal and Zafira. Fear drives people into doing things, and accepting things, they normally wouldn't.

Quote:
I'd also argue that Teana's appearances have been fairly devoid of any actual professionalism. Part of the reason she's so pissed at Nanoha is because she hurt Wendi - which is far more important to her than why that had to happen in the first place. And shortly after they meet, her dialogue devolves into little more than name-calling.
You have a fair point here, too. Teana's one major emotional button left is her family, and that she'd do anything to protect it. She also has a bit of a sour emotion with regards to the idealism the original Nanoha filled her head with.

Anyway, it's part of my job as a writer to be able to clearly get my ideas across, so if I find that isn't happening, then I'm not doing my job well enough. Read the rest of what's available, and let me know if you still have reservations. I can possibly go back and edit sections to better get ideas across.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 15:25   Link #28005
Justin_Brett

I really wouldn't know where to start with something like that, so I wouldn't go that far. It's probably just me, given the feedback its gotten.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 15:34   Link #28006
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Hmmm, I still question the need to Supercharge Sette, but I'll wait to see where you're going with it.
It's probably either that or gain more evil sidekicks. Quality VS quantity much?
Old 2010-11-28, 15:54   Link #28007
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I really wouldn't know where to start with something like that, so I wouldn't go that far. It's probably just me, given the feedback its gotten.
It's actually not just you; I had an almost identical reaction to the story at pretty much the exact identical point that you are at (you can go back and check my reactions to chapters 10-11 earlier in the thread). It does, however, start to take shape later on, has a slight dip in quality when Ein and Vivio show up(spoiler typed in white color; highlight to read), and then starts getting really good. I can say that the things that you are and I was complaining about do all make sense, but I have to question the pacing of things (that is to say, insufficient hints as to What Is To Come during the early chapters to keep the reader from crossing the Despair Event Horizon. The only reason I kept up with the fic--and I'm glad now that I did--was because it's easy to read one-chapter installments posted here in the FFT which I visit every day anyway. You've got the worse scenario, coming in once Kaijo is 24 chapters in so you have to pick it up and read it as a bulk-size work.)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 16:36   Link #28008
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Part of the problem is in keeping some things back and revealing a little at a time. Before, it was just revealing how the past went, and now that it's most over, I'm slowly revealing the why.

However, I think I understand what you're saying, and I've been thinking about it. I could have Nanoha question past events more, and perhaps have Uno drop some early hints of irregularities she had noticed in her own study of history; just as a way to bring up the idea that things are strange.

Part of it was to hit the reader with the same despair Nanoha was feeling, waking up and learning about everyone who has died and how badly things had changed. But then slowly change that as she presses onward and doesn't give up, despite wanting to at times. Think of it like breaking the cuties on a massive scale, heh. RB hits Lutecia with it, and I hit everyone else!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 17:50   Link #28009
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Part of the problem is in keeping some things back and revealing a little at a time. Before, it was just revealing how the past went, and now that it's most over, I'm slowly revealing the why.

However, I think I understand what you're saying, and I've been thinking about it. I could have Nanoha question past events more, and perhaps have Uno drop some early hints of irregularities she had noticed in her own study of history; just as a way to bring up the idea that things are strange.

Part of it was to hit the reader with the same despair Nanoha was feeling, waking up and learning about everyone who has died and how badly things had changed. But then slowly change that as she presses onward and doesn't give up, despite wanting to at times. Think of it like breaking the cuties on a massive scale, heh. RB hits Lutecia with it, and I hit everyone else!
AHA! So, that's how it is huh? The two of you are subconciously in kahoots in order to brings us all to the brink of despair and shove us of with a vengence. I'm suprisingly okay with that, despair is fun (just ask Itoshiki-sensei).

Also, I always wanted to use the word "kahoots"

I kinda liked the way the story played out, makes you wonder how it would feel to one day wake up and know you're not you anymore, so many you knew were dead, others that survived have turned against everything they believed in. Shows you how people's beliefs erode slowly over years of fate slapping them in the face. Like comparing Shirou Emiya and Archer. How it slowly rose up from the deepest pits of darkness and begane to show hope just when it's needed.

Of course I was never much of a literary critic so, what do I know?
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 18:24   Link #28010
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
RB hits Lutecia with it, and I hit everyone else!
I could toss her over to you sometime if you want to take a couple hits at her.
Old 2010-11-28, 19:12   Link #28011
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I could toss her over to you sometime if you want to take a couple hits at her.
Haven't you done enough to the poor girl without renting her out to be abused by others?

... wait, don't answer that, I probably don't want to know.
Old 2010-11-28, 19:24   Link #28012
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Haven't you done enough to the poor girl without renting her out to be abused by others?
Because that way, Kaijo would then be obliged to allow her to bestow the dreaded RB touch on everyone else

Afterall, one day even she will grow tired of abusing Lu...won't she?
Old 2010-11-28, 22:24   Link #28013
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Spoiler for More MD thanks to viewing Nanoha movie:

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 22:36   Link #28014
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Is that a challenge?
Old 2010-11-28, 22:39   Link #28015
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Because that way, Kaijo would then be obliged to allow her to bestow the dreaded RB touch on everyone else

Quote:
Is that a challenge?
Tiresias... buddy, friend...

Have you learned nothing of how she operates?!
Old 2010-11-28, 22:43   Link #28016
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
What's this? a whole week without doing a real update to Blood That Flows?

I must correct this!

Season 1

A's

Jump

New Parts 1-10

New Part 11

New Omake 2 and 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - New Part 12:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 23:09   Link #28017
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Quote:
Is that a challenge?
Quote:
Tiresias... buddy, friend...

Have you learned nothing of how she operates?!
Caro: *teary-eyed* Lutecia-chan...it was nice knowing you.
Lutecia: .....
Vivio: *Clutching onto Lutecia's knees* NOOOOO!!! I don't want to die a virgin!
Lutecia: *faints*
RB: *EVIL smile*........
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 23:18   Link #28018
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
What's this? a whole week without doing a real update to Blood That Flows?

I must correct this!

Season 1

A's

Jump

New Parts 1-10

New Part 11

New Omake 2 and 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - New Part 12:
So... Zelgadis teaches the kids how to fight horrible dimensional monsters. Arf teaches him how to not be emo?

That seems a pretty fair trade!

Though again... Xellos was interested in something, when are we going to find out what Xellos was interested in, I don't like not knowing that because Xellos is scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Spoiler for More MD thanks to viewing Nanoha movie:
Heh. Well, I won't lie, I'm mainly concerned about Material-D's 'headaches', but I guess we did need to get the run-down on new-and-improved Sette. A weakness to metal, huh? That could be a problem if she encounters someone with a metal weapon, like...

Oh. That's a lot of people...
Old 2010-11-28, 23:25   Link #28019
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Heh. Well, I won't lie, I'm mainly concerned about Material-D's 'headaches', but I guess we did need to get the run-down on new-and-improved Sette. A weakness to metal, huh? That could be a problem if she encounters someone with a metal weapon, like...

Oh. That's a lot of people...
NON-enchanted metal.

Cuts down on the amount of people tremendously there.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-29, 01:56   Link #28020
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
@New Day chapter:

Well I'll be frank and say I wasn't too interested in that chapter. Mood aside, weddings bore me in general, so... It's no fault of your's, Nanya.

About the venue though, I can't really see them having that big of a wedding. Sure, they're celebs, but I don't think they'd invite tons of people unless they knew them really well. As such, having a smaller one on Earth seems the better option. Given that Earth is a non administrated world, I bet the media would have a harder time sticking their noses into things. Nanoha and co are completely unknown on Earth so Earth based media wouldn't be an issue either.

Unless, of course, another reason to have it on Mid is to provide better security in case some one tried something. That's a good enough reason as any.

Cinque's actions here might be a bit much... Honestly I keep thinking of this. Only not so humourous. I mean, if any fully grown 20 year old was seen kissing a 10 year old like that, some one would call the police, seriously.

Wasn't too keen on some of the stuff with Hayate, but you had hinted at it before and I suppose such an event would drag up some feelings even if they were long since buried. Though I don't see why she couldn't just make it a 4-some. I doubt anyone would mind. They're all for a 3 person group marriage, so what's one more?

So that's the end of that with more to come in the sequel. But I'd like to take the time and reflect back on the fic as a whole. Guess the best way to do that is to divide it into what I like and what I didn't like.

Spoiler for Dislikes:

Those are the things that stand out to me the most. Again, this is what I personally dislike. No one else seems to have a problem with these things so I could be wrong to complain.

Spoiler for Likes:

So yeah, all in all, it was an enjoyable ride. It may have been long and required some effort, but I hung in there because the effort was worth it. So great job to all those involved, past and present. I look forward to the sequel.

Now as for Future Tense and Material Days, I'll have to read them later.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha