AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-04-08, 07:31   Link #37761
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhklan View Post
Thanks. I already have a pairing in mind (Given my track records, you should be able to figure out who and who), but it's the kinks in between that had me somewhat stumped (seeing as I've never been in a relationship in the first place. True facts )

I'm planning to have them hook up at the end, I think, since I have no idea where to go after that.
In that case, I have a bit more advice for you. The last thing you want to do is start the story off with the lucky two so perfectly compatible they hit it off, get married after a month of dating, and live happily ever after without issue. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it gets the point across. Even becoming interested in another person takes time, doubly so when you want the relationship to work out, and don't fool yourself: Love at first sight isn't love; it's just lust. You'll want to do things like repetitive accidental meetings that slowly become habit, talks over coffee and yummy sweets, various outings, etc. You'll also want to inject personal conflict between the two through various habits, offhand comments, and even friends/family (again, that ripple thing) that color their interactions and make them doubt their compatibility.
Old 2013-04-08, 07:35   Link #37762
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

^ I wasn't planning to have them compatible at first. They've known each other before, and the girl liked to - well, not bully the guy, but tease him and get on his nerves a lot when they were young - but they lost contact since he moved away. (Cliche, I know) He recently returned for some projects and inevitably runs into her again - he works with her sister.
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:40   Link #37763
Andarkoshi
Resident Tentacle Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
To be perfectly honest, that's a bad way of going about it. You've got an all-powerful bystander who's ability to influence the story is limited specifically because of that power. You've essentially wrote Shirou into such a corner his only role in the story is to be in it and give Fate a father. If you've got a character who's role is, in your own words, highly limited to begin with despite being one of the main characters, why bloat the cast and spend time writing that character to begin with when it could be spent on the characters that actually have an impact?
The problem is that it's very HARD to Nerf Shirou. To make him Fate and Alicia's father I had to make him pretty old (he is around 55-60 in the first series) and that means that he is Incredibly powerful by that point. He is older than EMIYA was when he died and because of UBW Route he HAD a head-start with his magecraft.

Well the thing is that breaking Shirou and painting him into a corner was the only way to make him Fate's father. If he didn't abandon his ideals he would probably run off again and bring trouble to his family.

Well I wanted to give Fate a father, rebuild her family and give her a happy ending. All the suffering along the way is a price for that happiness.

Also this is STILL Fate, Nanoha and Hayate's story. Shirou is a very prominent character but the focus is on the three girls. Furthermore while I said that Shirou is limited he isn't powerless.

Spoiler for the Plot:
Andarkoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:40   Link #37764
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
^ I wasn't planning to have them compatible at first. They've known each other before, and the girl liked to - well, not bully the guy, but tease him and get on his nerves a lot when they were young - but they lost contact since he moved away. (Cliche, I know) He recently returned for some projects and inevitably runs into her again - he works with her sister.
Ahh, the awkward childhood backstory approach. It's a classic for a reason.

One thing that might be beneficial is to have another couple to compare/contrast your main one with as they grow. It can be anyone, just so long as they're in close enough proximity to one of the main characters to actually warrant including said couple in the story.

Last edited by Kuroi Hadou; 2013-04-08 at 07:50.
Kuroi Hadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:45   Link #37765
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

@HK
Then don't give him a Device or anything at all. Just have him as his badass magus self. Iron pulled it off in the Vajira continuity.
@Kuroi
Huh, thanks. I already have an extra couple in mind.
Guess I'll come clean: The main is Yuuno/Due, while the extra is Chrono/Carim.
Old 2013-04-08, 07:47   Link #37766
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andarkoshi View Post
Mhm this Shirou probably already has white hair so it might affect his DNA which he passes to Alicia and Fate. Magecraft can do some screwy things to a human body.
That's like saying the child of a body builder will definitely be buff. Yes, magecraft can do strange things to the body. No, that does not include the hair stuff, the only reason Alicia and Fate can get that hair is if they practice magecraft the same torturous, masochistic way as him.

Easier explanation would be that they bleach their hair so they would look like daddy. (wait, what was the premise again? I only took notice on the white hair part)
Old 2013-04-08, 07:48   Link #37767
Andarkoshi

[QUOTE=Lhklan;4626440]@HK
Then don't give him a Device or anything at all. Just have him as his badass magus self. Iron pulled it off in the Vajira continuity.
Well his device doesn't amount to much really. He can't really use Nano magic, his device only gives him Barrier Jacket, flight and some minor magic which is actually cast by the device. It can use illusion magic to change his appearance and Maybe produce some weak protection spells. Nut much besides that.

Tiresias
Shirou thrown into Nano dimension, meeting Precia before she gave birth to Alicia and Shirou being Alicia and Fate's biological father.

Oh well I'll just go with "It's wacky genetics at play"
Old 2013-04-08, 07:49   Link #37768
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

^ Uh, then what's the point of giving him the device in the first place? Beside, Shirou will always bleed in battle.
Old 2013-04-08, 07:51   Link #37769
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
The problem is that it's very HARD to Nerf Shirou. To make him Fate and Alicia's father I had to make him pretty old (he is around 55-60 in the first series) and that means that he is Incredibly powerful by that point. He is older than EMIYA was when he died and because of UBW Route he HAD a head-start with his magecraft.
Err... not really. First of all, take away the device and Agito. Secondly, just use the Fate route instead of UBW. From what I can tell, it doesn't serve much purpose except the Shirou/Rin/Sakuya that's just backstory at the moment. Now you have a successfully nerfed Shirou without bending over backwards working around a God Mode Sue or actually nerfing him.

Quote:
Well his device doesn't amount to much really. He can't really use Nano magic, his device only gives him Barrier Jacket, flight and some minor magic which is actually cast by the device. It can use illusion magic to change his appearance and Maybe produce some weak protection spells. Nut much besides that.
Quote:
^ Uh, then what's the point of giving him the device in the first place? Beside, Shirou will always bleed in battle.
That's actually what I was about to say. You can have Shirou do all of that with projection/UBW anyway.
Old 2013-04-08, 07:51   Link #37770
Andarkoshi

Quote:
Well for one thing Precia made it for him, also it was a Snarky Companion after it developed proper personality. Kinda like Derflinger, I like Snarky Companions.
Old 2013-04-08, 07:59   Link #37771
Andarkoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Err... not really. First of all, take away the device and Agito. Secondly, just use the Fate route instead of UBW. From what I can tell, it doesn't serve much purpose except the Shirou/Rin/Sakuya that's just backstory at the moment. Now you have a successfully nerfed Shirou without bending over backwards working around a God Mode Sue or actually nerfing him.
Mhm it completely messes with all of my planning though... Besides it won't exactly work with Fate route. Fate Shirou too idealistic AND he is still after Saber. Being in alternate dimension wouldn't affect that and would make it impossible for him to bond with Precia.

The thing is Shirou is SUPPOSED to be powerful and have a reputation. He is in the story to be a father, wise guy teaching others, intimidating father to those who get close to his daughter. The fighting is mainly on the main cast's shoulders.

This isn't Teenager or early-20 Shirou who while already pretty good is still inexperienced.

Also I might have accidentally make you misunderstand. Shirou's device serves mainly as his Snarky Companion while Agito doesn't help out with the fighting. She is a grateful girl whom he saved who looks after him... at least until the Wolkies will get involved. She can't even unison with him because of the differences in their magic styles.
Old 2013-04-08, 08:01   Link #37772
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

FYI Shirou would be a shitty father/family man. Hero complex, remember? Always going out there, trying to save people without caring for his own self?

For reference, EMIYA version of Shirou died leaving behind a lover (not one of the three heroines)

Quote:
Shirou thrown into Nano dimension, meeting Precia before she gave birth to Alicia and Shirou being Alicia and Fate's biological father.
And the conflict is between who?

Quote:
Oh well I'll just go with "It's wacky genetics at play"
Ergh, "A wizard did it" excuse only works if the wizard can actually did that. And...I dunno, I don't really see reason to make it complicated like giving the girls his hair, really. Why explicitly go against the established set of magic for something minor?
Old 2013-04-08, 08:06   Link #37773
Andarkoshi

Tiresias

You should Really read through all the stuff I wrote because all of the things you mentioned are brought up there.
Shirou no longer has hero complex, or rather no longer surrenders to it. He was crushed by his ideals just like Kiritsugu.
Also the hair color won't change. We were only talking How is it possible that Precia and Shirou's child had blond hair and I simply decided to go with the "wacky genetics"
Old 2013-04-08, 08:07   Link #37774
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Well, since this Shirou is older than Archer, I expect him to look like this:
Spoiler for Extra CCC booklet, found this online:
Old 2013-04-08, 08:12   Link #37775
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Any link to the original post?

Quote:
Shirou no longer has hero complex, or rather no longer surrenders to it. He was crushed by his ideals just like Kiritsugu.

... ... ...

Wut? That's...going to need a really big elaboration. Canon Shirou never went bitter about his ideals until after death. Archer died in the execution place with a smile in his face.
Old 2013-04-08, 08:14   Link #37776
Andarkoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

... ... ...

Wut? That's...going to need a really big elaboration. Canon Shirou never went bitter about his ideals until after death. Archer died in the execution place with a smile in his face.
This and the last page. My posts with Spoiler bits.
Old 2013-04-08, 08:14   Link #37777
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:

... ... ...

Sadly, I lost the link to it.

... And I have to agree with Tiresias here. Since this is UBW Shirou, he should know that his ideals are inherently impossible in the first place, but still strive toward it. Beside, I doubt Shirou received an eye opener like Kiri did at the end of the 4th War.
Old 2013-04-08, 08:16   Link #37778
Andarkoshi

Quote:
Sadly, I lost the link to it.

... And I have to agree with Tiresias here. Since this is UBW Shirou, he should know that his ideals are inherently impossible in the first place, but still strive toward it. Beside, I doubt Shirou received an eye opener like Kiri did at the end of the 4th War.
Seriously read the spoilered part. You should know about it since I described it at least two times on In Flight forum.
Old 2013-04-08, 08:18   Link #37779
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

...okay, that miiiiiiiight be traumatizing enough...but it requires OOC on Sakura's part so much she's pretty much In Name Only. Should I point out which parts?
Old 2013-04-08, 08:19   Link #37780
Andarkoshi

Quote:
...okay, that miiiiiiiight be traumatizing enough...but it requires OOC on Sakura's part so much she's pretty much In Name Only. Should I point out which parts?
Did you read both parts?

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha