AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-28, 22:41   Link #281
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

I'll join the re-watch~ : ) I've been in a Macross mood since I watched Itsuwari no Utahime. <3

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 04:02   Link #282
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
I'll join the re-watch~ : ) I've been in a Macross mood since I watched Itsuwari no Utahime. <3
Welcome to the fun :3. You have two episodes to watch before we all watch the third episode tomorrow.
Old 2010-10-30, 05:53   Link #283
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 03: Pacing is still pretty decent even though we're three episodes in. There's quite a bit of material covered, and the flow of the story feels just right. I remember that being a bit messy in the second half of the series, though for now i'm pleased with Macross Frontier. Was the same back when it was airing, so that's pretty cool. :3

I remember really liking Aimo back when this episode aired (i still do like it ). The melody was classic Yoko Kanno, along with the classic Yoko Kanno gibberish language. Plus having it playing during Gilliam's funeral. Also i just noticed that
Spoiler for False Songstress:

See that Konig Monster behind Kanaria seriously made me wanting to see the beauty in action. Hurry up episode 07!

& let's not forget Cathy and Leon tongue action. D:

As for the preview for episode 04, i remember jumping with excitement seeing a new Queadluun-Rau model.
Old 2010-10-30, 06:29   Link #284
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

NANASE WATCH 2010 (episode 3):
Much ado about stalking

She looks so adorable when she's worried about impending disaster...

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2010-10-30 at 06:51.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 06:33   Link #285
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Hmm...I wonder who that large breasted anonymous megane female character is that Yot-chan keeps endorsing.
Old 2010-10-30, 06:37   Link #286
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Hmm...I wonder who that large breasted anonymous megane female character is that Yot-chan keeps endorsing.
I dunno, but she sure is a cutie, isn't she?
Old 2010-10-30, 06:39   Link #287
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yot-chan don't tell me you didn't notice the Nanase scene in episode three? :O
Old 2010-10-30, 06:44   Link #288
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yot-chan don't tell me you didn't notice the Nanase scene in episode three? :O
I must confess I did...I just fastforwarded through the episode...

EDIT: Found it...editing original post. Thanks!
Old 2010-10-30, 07:33   Link #289
magnuskn

Here we go for episode four!

00:27 – And we start with Alto getting punched in the face. Okay, so it’s a flashback, but he surely gets that a lot during the series.

03:00 – Luca early on demonstrates his general uselessness in battle.

03:50 – Man, that early rivalry between Alto and Michael was pretty high, wasn’t it? Or was Alto having an early moment about his current uselessness in the conflict?

04:30 – Honestly, holding down your skirt would be the last thing on my mind at that point. ^^

05:00 – Okay, it’s the rivalry between Alto and Michael. Although I think that Alto feeling helpless feeds into it.

05:30 – Yeah, Alto, yell at the girl who is so scared that she can’t control her hands anymore. Oh, well, he didn’t go through with it.

05:45 – You can say what you want about early irascible Alto, but he is brutally honest to a point.

06:30 – How Sheryl manages to still slap Alto while falling down is beyond me. But I still have to ask if it was intentional or accidental.

06:50 – I’m not exactly sure how I should read that facial expression of Sheryl. It kinda looks a bit perverted, peeved, proud, embarrassed and a whole slew of other things at the same time.

06:53 – And cutting from a slap into an explosion is genius.

07:18 – Wow, calling Sheryl a slut is uncalled for.

07:20 – Good work by Ranka to defuse the situation. She really comes across as an adorable innocent girl.

08:02 – Nobody thought much of it at the time, but that was Graces first step to infiltrating Frontiers security network. Quite impressive how far ahead the foreshadowing and set-up goes in regards to her.

08:12 – Okay, maybe we all should have gotten suspicious when the spooky music started up… ^^

08:40 – Definite vibes of Alto already making his decision to do something to help out, to stop feeling helpless.

09:00 – Heh, Sheryl getting the tuna buns box on her head looks pretty cute.

09:09 – And Sheryl brings the awesome, showing what exactly began changing minds about her. Her self-determination and forcefulness is brought around from being slightly bitchy to show how she does not just accept a bad outcome but actively tries to take her fate in her own hands.

09:30 – A mayor inspiration moment for both Alto and Ranka.

10:18 – Sheryl really isn’t informed well yet about the place she is now in… she quite apparently doesn’t know that implants are illegal on Frontier.

10:24 – What a tease.

10:35 – And more awesome, as she gives good advice to Ranka.

11:24 – Good foreshadowing of the obvious feelings Cathy still has for Ozma.

11:26 – And a mayor, mayor sympathy/pity point for Ranka.

11:55 – “I always kept it a secret!”? This kinda doesn’t jibe with Ranka having forgotten all about her past, but I guess we can ascribe this to her remembering a little bit at this moment and then losing it again due to her dissociative amnesia.

12:00 – Okay, only a complete asshole cannot feel sorry for Ranka at this moment.

13:00 – Who else thought Canaria would a be a love interest for Ozma?

13:25 – A good insight into Ozma here. There’s a reason why Ranka was allowed to grow up so spoiled and that is Ozma’s guilt.

14:14 – The series handled this important transition for Alto much better than the movie. Here it is made clear that Alto chooses for himself to go into permanent danger.

15:05 – And Michael shows that he truly cares about his friend, even in a rather abrasive way.

15:40 – I really have to wonder what Leon immediately saw in Ranka’s file which made him react his way. And, btw., nice Engrish on the paper itself.

16:00 – I don’t know, but this scene kinda seems superfluous, with Cathy almost immediately afterwards beginning to look suspiciously on Leon’s activities.

16:15 – Compared to the movies bathing scene, this is much more subdued.

16:33 – Sheryl doesn’t seem all that annoyed to have to see Alto again.

16:40 – And a little clue to Altos kabuki past.

18:10 – A big shift for Rankas character, she really took Sheryls word to heart.

18:57 – And Alto gives out good advice, most likely based on his own experiences on stage.

19:24 – Hm, THORA says “Sure, go ahead”, but I think I prefer the “Do as you will” I saw from other translators.

20:00 – Once the music kicks in, this becomes a really well done sequence, segueing well from the military funeral to Gilliams “burial”.

21:20 – To be honest, I never understood why the death of military providers ( i.e. mercenaries ) seems to be kept a secret. Embarrassment of the Frontier military that they cannot get the job done well themselves?

21:50 – A good show of the friendship between Alto, Michael and Luca.

22:17 – And Sheryl continues to show her nice side. I wonder how many people changed their mind at this point about her.
Old 2010-10-30, 07:53   Link #290
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
09:09 – And Sheryl brings the awesome, showing what exactly began changing minds about her. Her self-determination and forcefulness is brought around from being slightly bitchy to show how she does not just accept a bad outcome but actively tries to take her fate in her own hands.
Not for me...I still didn't like her very much at this point. From bitch (episode 1) to overly dramatic bitch (episode 2) to overly dramatic bitch who very nearly killed herself, Ranka, and Alto (this episode), I thought she kinda sucked. It wasn't until episode 5 that I warmed up to her.

Quote:
10:18 – Sheryl really isn’t informed well yet about the place she is now in… she quite apparently doesn’t know that implants are illegal on Frontier.
This is one of the touches I love...that Sheryl's line seemed to make absolutely no sense (to the point where I wondered if I'd misunderstood...and then I saw the subs, and they said the same thing...and I was very confused) until you look back at it after hearing about Galaxy.

Really helps make the world feel real.

Quote:
19:24 – Hm, THORA says “Sure, go ahead”, but I think I prefer the “Do as you will” I saw from other translators.
"Suki ni shirou yo" is one of those things that's very difficult to translate into English that sounds natural. "Do what you like" is probably the most literal translation, but I think "Sure, go ahead" or "If you like" convey the meaning better.
Old 2010-10-30, 07:57   Link #291
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
22:17 – And Sheryl continues to show her nice side.
Not to mention she looks good in that hat.
Old 2010-10-30, 08:13   Link #292
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Here we go for episode four!
Wait, isn't this the third week?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 08:17   Link #293
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Wait, isn't this the third week?
Yeah it is. That's just magnuskn's little mistake.
Old 2010-10-30, 08:26   Link #294
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Not for me...I still didn't like her very much at this point. From bitch (episode 1) to overly dramatic bitch (episode 2) to overly dramatic bitch who very nearly killed herself, Ranka, and Alto (this episode), I thought she kinda sucked. It wasn't until episode 5 that I warmed up to her.
I wonder how much of this type of early response is a reaction to the "prima donna" stereotype that we tend to associate with celebrities. For all her abrasiveness in episode one, for example, Sheryl still was absolutely correct in criticizing the use of student pilots in her show - after all, Alto ultimately ended up causing an accident that could potentially have killed Sheryl (or messed up the show, had she not used some very quick thinking). Likewise, in this episode, both the decision to stay and potentially asphyxiate in the shelter and the decision to leave and potentially asphyxiate in a vacuum are equally bad - the decision that Sheryl makes is simply the more proactive of the two. I think that this concept of 'grabbing destiny with your hands' ends up being an important part of both Alto and Ranka's growth throughout the series.

I think it comes down to differentiating between the stereotype that Sheryl could have ended up becoming (given her intro), and who she actually is.

Or maybe I'm just immune to getting offended by "ohohohoho" type characters. They always amuse me.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 09:33   Link #295
magnuskn

Quote:
"Suki ni shirou yo" is one of those things that's very difficult to translate into English that sounds natural. "Do what you like" is probably the most literal translation, but I think "Sure, go ahead" or "If you like" convey the meaning better.
Aw, yeah. "Do as you like" is what I meant. I really quite like that line, as it shows how Alto is not about controlling others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah it is. That's just magnuskn's little mistake.
Yep. Ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I wonder how much of this type of early response is a reaction to the "prima donna" stereotype that we tend to associate with celebrities. For all her abrasiveness in episode one, for example, Sheryl still was absolutely correct in criticizing the use of student pilots in her show - after all, Alto ultimately ended up causing an accident that could potentially have killed Sheryl (or messed up the show, had she not used some very quick thinking). Likewise, in this episode, both the decision to stay and potentially asphyxiate in the shelter and the decision to leave and potentially asphyxiate in a vacuum are equally bad - the decision that Sheryl makes is simply the more proactive of the two. I think that this concept of 'grabbing destiny with your hands' ends up being an important part of both Alto and Ranka's growth throughout the series.

I think it comes down to differentiating between the stereotype that Sheryl could have ended up becoming (given her intro), and who she actually is.

Or maybe I'm just immune to getting offended by "ohohohoho" type characters. They always amuse me.
This episode is where my opinion of Sheryl improved manyfold. I also was a bit taken aback by her first episode antics, but this made her all kinds of awesome to me. As I might have mentioned in my episode commentary.
Old 2010-10-30, 09:39   Link #296
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

The only highlight here for me is when they take shelter.
Alto staring at (then-thought-of bitch) Sheryl's expose made me laugh silly. Alto's face was just priceless! It was like "I know I shouldn't stare but I can't help myself".
Also, Ranka was cute but I didn't really like her being emotional and clingy when they dropped in, it's never been my thing with anime girls (also, I guess that clinginess was a foreshadowing to come ). That's all for now.

/lurks back in search of chocolate
Old 2010-10-30, 09:55   Link #297
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
This episode is where my opinion of Sheryl improved manyfold. I also was a bit taken aback by her first episode antics, but this made her all kinds of awesome to me.
Hmmm...nearly getting the three main characters killed is "awesome"...?
Old 2010-10-30, 10:54   Link #298
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Also, Ranka was cute but I didn't really like her being emotional and clingy when they dropped in, it's never been my thing with anime girls (also, I guess that clinginess was a foreshadowing to come ). That's all for now.
I don't know, wasn't that situation of "I can't make my hands let go" something medical, due to shock or extreme stress?

Quote:
Hmmm...nearly getting the three main characters killed is "awesome"...?
Are you trying to start fights again? Sheryl acted with the best information she had. And that was "we might die either way". Also, it was a quite stressfull situation for everyone. I didn't see Alto or Ranka storming forward to stop her, so I guess in your world all three were trying to off themselves.
Old 2010-10-30, 11:04   Link #299
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Are you trying to start fights again? Sheryl acted with the best information she had. And that was "we might die either way". Also, it was a quite stressfull situation for everyone. I didn't see Alto or Ranka storming forward to stop her, so I guess in your world all three were trying to off themselves.
No, not trying to start a fight...just pointing out that Sheryl did indeed almost get everyone killed.
Old 2010-10-30, 11:07   Link #300
magnuskn

And as a counterpoint, so did the others by not stopping her. If it weren't for Grace, it would either have been asphyxiation or asphyxiation either way.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch