AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 05:28   Link #1281
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I read off IGN that Origin will be required for ME3. Assuming it is true, I feel like requiring origin is bad idea. Sure it may have practical uses, but I feel as though it will resonate negatively in online communities regardless of whether the negativity is rightfully or wrongful placed. There is a lot of exaggeration most times, but nonetheless it exists.
According to gamingbolt, it's a one-time activation for singleplayer, continuous connection for multiplayer. Basically the same thing Steam does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
People in that thread I posted are worried about the 'spyware-like' qualities of Origin. A Bioware developer said "post evidence of that claim", so someone did. I'm guessing this is from the terms of agreement for Origin:

Referring to the part I bolded (Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder), some people there also pointed out that Origin, via these Windows operations that scan filenames, scans the names of filenames for files other than those found in Program Data/Origin folder. It scans filenames on other parts of your hard drive, is what people are saying.

I'd like to know, are these things true about Origin? Do I have to worry about it being intrusive to my privacy?
No. That information is old and has long since been revised. It was designed as a feature to scan the computers of their userbase to help increase the stability of Origin (a lot of software does similar things, you've probably run across some pop-up while installing asking you to share 'anonymous data' before), but with the internet backlash they dropped the feature from Origin alltogether, and removed those terms from the license agreement.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-01-15 at 06:02.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 10:44   Link #1282
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Haha, yeah. Exactly, when Steam came around and I was still in high school, many of my friends hated Steam with a passion because they didn't like that Valve was forcing it down their throats.. Now, everyone of them has an active Steam account.

Also, I wish people would shut up about Origin. Games For Windows Live is like 8 times worse and people barely even talk about that anymore. Besides, the existence of Origin is a good thing because Steam needs competition due to it already having a monopoly on the PC digital distribution market.
This so much.

I was also present for the inception of steam, and oh boy do I remember the hoo-hah over the fact that steam was a requirement for half life 2, and how everyone preferred CS1.5 over 1.6 just because it didn't require a steam connection. 7 years on and it's now the holy grail of PC gaming.

Granted, back then, while the same concerns over DRM were being raised, an equal number of the complaints were because broadband internet wasn't as widespread as it is today, and having a connection to steam was an actual problem. Right now, the main problems with Origin seems to mainly stem from the fact that as a service from a huge publisher, not only are they holding a monopoly on a large bulk of games, their legal terms are more vague than steam's.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 11:40   Link #1283
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I think most people don't even bother to read Steam's legal terms.
Old 2012-01-15, 12:30   Link #1284
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
According to gamingbolt, it's a one-time activation for singleplayer, continuous connection for multiplayer. Basically the same thing Steam does.
That is true, but people tend to react negatively towards EA and Origins, whether rightfully or not. Furthermore, there has already been some drama over Origin recently. It may be a carbon copy of steam, but I just feel like EA made this announcement a little too soon. Perhaps it is better to say they probably should have waited longer so that they could distance themselves with some of the negative press. It is still damned if you do, damned if you don't, but I think the announcement is too soon.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 15:01   Link #1285
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Eh, I don't think Origin will be able to distance itself from the negative press for a while. It seems to be an almost exact repeat of the Steam days, so it's probably going to take a year or two, game by game, before people accept it as normal.

It's almost like a baptism for digital distribution platforms.
Old 2012-01-15, 15:55   Link #1286
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I think most people don't even bother to read Steam's legal terms.
True dis. If you judge from the sales of BF3 and eventually ME3, right now the complaints about Origin are only from a vocal minority that actually does stuff like this.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 17:22   Link #1287
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
This topic has been derailed for a while now. How did it start becoming about steam?

THIS IS STUPID, I WANT THIS TO CONTINUE TO BE ABOUT MASS EFFECT 3!!!
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 18:05   Link #1288
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
This topic has been derailed for a while now. How did it start becoming about steam?

THIS IS STUPID, I WANT THIS TO CONTINUE TO BE ABOUT MASS EFFECT 3!!!
I want an unique renegade route where Shepard replaces the illusive man and controls the reapers, crowning himself as the overlord of the universe. As part of the route you must hunt down all of your surviving squadmates and kill them one after another...
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 01:17   Link #1289
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'll look into Origin more. If it isn't a spyware-like program, maybe I'll just play the ME series on PC. My alternative is to play ME 2 and ME 3 on PS3. I could always play ME 1 on PC and not have saves carry over for parts 2 and 3 if I play the series on PS3.

Would ME 1 and ME 2 saves carry over to ME 3 if you play ME 1 and ME 2 on Steam but play ME 3 on Origin?
Old 2012-01-16, 02:43   Link #1290
Alchemist007
*Author

I would think so considering it would leave plenty of people out of it otherwise.
Old 2012-01-16, 03:13   Link #1291
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

The saves are independent from Steam, I'd say, as they are saved in "My Documents" IIRC.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 07:16   Link #1292
Aqua Knight

haha
nearly everyone ignored the suggestion to stop Origin discussion and continued on doing that.

I think we won't get a betrayer Shepard, just an asshole one who punches women.
Old 2012-01-16, 10:25   Link #1293
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

As long as I can go "Ah yes, "reapers"" on the council, I'm happy.
Old 2012-01-16, 10:43   Link #1294
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If the Turian councilman dies upon realizing too late of the "Reaper" threat I'm going to laugh.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:49   Link #1295
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If the Turian councilman dies upon realizing too late of the "Reaper" threat I'm going to laugh.
That kinda happens in ME1, if you let it

I didn't though, as I recognize Udina as being the Galaxy's first and foremost jerkass to be dealt with. That's how Shep rolls.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:54   Link #1296
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I keep them alive because I want them to see a faceful of Reapers and eventually acknowledge that Shep was right all along.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:00   Link #1297
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I wish we can "Shoryuken" in this one
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 11:05   Link #1298
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Given how easily they managed to get out of acknowledging Sovereign in ME2 (despite admitting Shep was right at the end of ME1), I wouldn't hold much hope that we'll get to see the Turian Councillor eating crow once and for all

On a somewhat related note, I really hope ME3 will provide a proper explanation as to why the Reapers are targeting Earth other than "Because Shep's from there".
Old 2012-01-16, 11:19   Link #1299
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Same reason the rest of the galaxy's terrified of us: We're the biggest, nastiest threat out there. We absorb knowledge like sponges, can adapt to new situations at ludicrous rates, know how to worm our ways into alien (in both senses of the word) establishments as if we've always been there, are pretty darn reckless, often win against whatever trouble we get in and always hunger for more.
Old 2012-01-16, 11:36   Link #1300
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

That's true I guess, though humans aren't as strong (militarily) as say, the Turians. The reason provided so far is because their plans in ME1 and ME2 were both foiled by Space jesus Shep. So they want to deal with him (and the rest of his kind) first before "assuming direct control" of the whole Galaxy again

Makes sense, but I was kinda hoping they had another reason, such as how they targeted the Citadel in ME1 because they had control of it and the mass relays.

EDIT: Like say, humans are the best candidates for the creation of more Reapers.

Tags
effect, games, mass