AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-20, 13:11   Link #81
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba View Post
Hmm... I don't know how I still haven't seen this anime yet. I just started it like a week ago. I'm up to episode 11 now, and I think it's great. I still feel as if they could have done more with the story. Shannon is kind of weak in my opinion since he needs the strength of Zefiris or whatever her name is.
Just wait...the first half of the series has the primary purpose of introducing all of the important players. And Shannon is the man...despite having a girly name and all...yeah
Old 2007-06-21, 06:08   Link #82
DieH@rd

Hehe, i still remember Paciffica's nagging voice:

Raquell-nee!!!!
Shanon-nii!!!

DieH@rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 16:04   Link #83
whodhellknew

hi guys,

I'm pretty sure this isn't the right place to ask, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Are there huge differences between the light novel and the anime and also, since Tokyopop has licensed the novel's translation, are they releasing the volumes according to the original Japanese version and thus it would take 18 volumes to finish?

Thanks
whodhellknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 03:33   Link #84
carmolita

Haven't read the novels(skimmed them in the bookstore) but IIRC they were written after the anime so I don't think there is much variation if any which is why I didn't buy them.
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 18:27   Link #85
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmolita View Post
Haven't read the novels(skimmed them in the bookstore) but IIRC they were written after the anime so I don't think there is much variation if any which is why I didn't buy them.

Nope. Novels were the basis for the anime.

I've read the first three, and they're pretty good. Leo apparently doesn't come in until volume 4.

The Casul sibling's stay with Winia is expanded upon with a few nice short stories (Shanon cross-dressing as Raquel for example). The third book covers the fake Scrapped Princess story and Reynard has a much, MUCH more complex character rather than being some ugly dude.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 19:03   Link #86
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
ohh shannon corss dressing as Raquel... i want to read that..sounds interesting jeje
Old 2007-09-07, 17:07   Link #87
whodhellknew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno_the_sinner View Post
Nope. Novels were the basis for the anime.

I've read the first three, and they're pretty good. Leo apparently doesn't come in until volume 4.

The Casul sibling's stay with Winia is expanded upon with a few nice short stories (Shanon cross-dressing as Raquel for example). The third book covers the fake Scrapped Princess story and Reynard has a much, MUCH more complex character rather than being some ugly dude.
Yeah, the novel definitely seems more fleshed out than the anime. But Tokyopop seems to have translated only 3 volumes and is crawling at snail's pace, which leads me to think that perhaps the cram more material in one volume than the Japanese version. Or maybe not.

cheers
whodhellknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 17:54   Link #88
charizardpal
灼眼の

The unresolved alien threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The aliens consider Humans to be too violent. There propoganda anyway that they attacking the Human race to save us form ourselves. That is why they had the human race lock under that shield and keep to low tech. Anytime Humans make substiantial progress in advance technology there would be a purge of about 90% of the pop.

She betray humanity to save her brother and sister because she did not want them to fight in the war, but they die anyway Her brother was one of the Original Dragoons.
Doesn't it bother the viewer that the aliens have been building their technology for 5,000 years while humans did nothing? The characters seemed oddly calm about this during the ending. I mean, the humans could barely hold off the aliens with tech 5,000 years ago, now they've been tossed back to the middle ages and kept from development for 5,000 years on top of that!

Not only that, but will not the aliens just return and bomb them off the face of the world now that the violent (but now primative) humans have returned (and can no longer be safely sealed away as a harmless threat?)

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」

Last edited by charizardpal; 2007-09-07 at 17:58. Reason: wikipedia link to the light novels at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapped_Princess
charizardpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 19:20   Link #89
DanielSong39

It seemed like the aliens left the humans alone after winning the war... who knows, perhaps the humans were the aggressors in the conflict, and the aliens had no interest in finishing the humans off once they were beaten.

The real villain in the series seems to be Mauser, who held onto a grudge for 5,000 years and used it as an excuse to torture and murder humans. But since she decides she's tired of it all at the end - so I guess the situation is resolved.

The final major conflict is the one between Forciss and Pacifica; she really should have left the country after all of this - and allied herself with the other princess, who actually did something for her. You tell me, would you rather side with someone who saved your bacon on a number of occasions, or someone who literally stabbed you in the back?

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-09-08 at 13:58.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 02:46   Link #90
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Well i do understand that he stabbed her in the back quiet literally. you got give the prince some slack, he was semi-brainwashed/persuaded by that cardinal and he genuinely believed that doing so would protect his people and he had enough guts and regret to kill him self as well. I m sure on some level that Pacifica understood that so i guess thats why she is staying. Besides everything is over, humanity will probably be at peace and nations will cooperate again to walk their own path as Mauser said.

So,i have a question is it ever explained why Mauser's siblings are identical to Shannon and Raquel? For that matter why does Mauser look almost identical to Pacifica? Are they genetic reincarnation or something or it was all planned that they would become natural clones.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 11:04   Link #91
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Genetic Drift or Destiny.

Take your pick.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 00:59   Link #92
Gwydion
Obata Junkie

As for the question on the Casull siblings looking exactly like the siblings from the past, I believe it was explained that it was planned so that they would, er, "show up" at a calculated time - in this case, 5,000 years later. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it was mentioned in the episode where the beast princess was explaining about the people who had the Guardian, uh, gene...? Don't think that's what it was called, and I'm honestly too lazy to look right now. ^_^;;

As for why she stayed instead of running to Giat, Pacifica showed over and over again that she takes the blame on herself for everything. I believe she was able to forgive Forsythe because he was simply trying to protect his people in the only way he knew how - she wouldn't blame him for that, she'd blame herself. It was the same with the man who had thrown her away as a baby - he tried to kill her, but she apologized. She likely genuinely wanted to get to know her brother.

Spoiler for Mauser, ending:

Personally, I loved the ending. I really didn't want to see a lot of romance added in - it didn't seem to fit, in my opinion, anyway. Though the teaser at the very end was cute.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 16:34   Link #93
DanielSong39

I just don't think it's plausible to defend Forciss; you can always hide behind the "end justifies the means" argument but the bottom line is that he committed a heinous crime. The fact that he attempted suicide on top of it makes it even worse. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing, but he is so weak and delusional that it's hard to take him seriously. And the people he's surrounded by (except for Chris, the Baroness, and a few others) are so twisted that they actually make the Peacemakers look like the good guys. I would've much rather seen Pacifica side with the Giat princess.

As for Mauser, it's highly probable that she was highly delusional or lying. Her story simply doesn't add up. Not only does she carry out her shenandigans for 5000 years following the death of her siblings, she even likens her situation to Pacifica's! I would've admired Forciss a lot more if he had taken that knife and shoved it up Mauser's back - at least then the ending would've made more sense.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-09-26 at 19:09.
Old 2007-09-19, 17:23   Link #94
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
Personally, I loved the ending. I really didn't want to see a lot of romance added in - it didn't seem to fit, in my opinion, anyway. Though the teaser at the very end was cute.
I'm with ya on that. Romantic ties seemed more like an afterthought in the series, and to be honest, felt a bit forced (see Stockholm Syndrome couple). The only relationships that needed to feel resolved or conclusive was that of the siblings. And, as expected, they ended up together happily-ever-after. Going into detail about the couplings at the end would've been unnecessary fluff.
MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 21:36   Link #95
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Definitely a great series, and one of the best. You can't always have it all ways, and it's a good lesson learned in the end. IMO, this feels like it has very close ties to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Another sick series).

To comment about the Stockholm Syndrome mentioned above, now that I think about it, it kind of reminds me of Gregory the short story, except in this situation, the hostage was freed and the captor sent a letter to the hostage. Maybe it was a love letter? o_O. Haha.

The Ending Joke won me over. When Shannon got Pacifica back, that scene was JOKES. I watched the English subs (not fansubbed) so it might have been different, but she calls him a pervert and a pedophile and he calls her a shameless princess and an Exhibitionist... LOL. Pure jokes.

10/10 series.

Edit: All this romance talk is off topic IMO. To me, it was just a light element tossed in to enhance drama and comedy (however ironic that may seem). Pacifica rejecting Leo was brilliant too. She's better off with... Dragunov... than with that failure of a man called Leo! :P

Damn, I miss Furet. I would have enjoyed watching him vs. Shannon.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 19:05   Link #96
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Just finished this series so throwing out some thoughts here.

Now this is just the adventure series I liked seeing. The development for Pacifica and her siblings are really good not to mention the story line. There was a few "I can see that from a mile away" scenes but also some unexpected findings. The characters were rich and full of life but unfortunatly due to the size of the cast, a large portion of the cast remains unexplored outside of the usual trio. This is the biggest annoyance for me actually is seeing how undeveloped the supporting characters were. While chris did get minimal but somewhat fluffy development (I really can't see him changing that easily) - his team were virtually left unexplained.

This also spreads to the dragoons and peacemakers. Whilst the other losers don't need that much of a personality check to see that they are "evil" - I would have really appreciated it more to see something coming from Cz...she was probably the best character in the series, next to zefi and raquell but also the one who is less explored for what potential she had there. This was rather disappointing for me at least - considering that pacifica gave her one of the ear rings - I was sure she was going to act out of defiance or something later on. I was sure she could have broken out of the circle as well to fight with zefi for shannon

The fights were average overall but the way the all ended was just: "face palm oh my god". As blown up as the peacemakers seemed to be, they sure where "easy" to kill...too easy in fact seen as 2 of them died at the hands of the inferior trio. The deux was pretty hard to swallow I must say.

Zefi was another character with wasted potential...we know she could show more emotion but the writers failed to develop on it. But I have to say that her blush is moe enough to melt ice caps

Putting the negative asides...I say that this series was definitely worth watching. The ending stays true to the "happily ever after" theme and I don't see anything wrong with a happy ending. Pacifica deserves it after being through think and thin, highs and lows. The story was actually quite captivating for me - with the post apocalypse thing going one as well as another one that was to come (if it wasn't for those meddling kids ).

More could have been explained though such as who exactally were those aliens and maybe going up into space to drill some ass...err wrong story ^^

But with that said, the length of the series is enough as I am sure 52 eps would surely kill the momentum (as well as my will to watch it in the first place).

Great series despite flaws...7/10

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 18:55   Link #97
Moonbase

I just finished the series and am wondering about the light novels. They are still going on, right? Has anyone been following these releases? How do they compare to the anime in terms of fleshing out detail?
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 16:01   Link #98
Oxtail

Just finished this series and I loved it. The intricate and ultimately epic plot was the highlight for me. At times it did feel a little rushed, but not so much as to hinder my enjoyment of it. I personally think it would have been easy to stretch this series out to 52 episodes or more. I see so many places they could have expanded on things that were just briefly mentioned. It wouldn't have flown by at the quick pace of this series, but I don't think it would have made it too slow, either.

Spoiler for least favorite thing about Scrapped Princess:
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 15:10   Link #99
DanielSong39

I liked the series overall but felt very little sympathy for Forciss. Once Mauser moved on, he became the true villain of the series, and for him to ascend to the throne was a really weak move. He will continue the pattern of corruption of his ancestors and bring judgment upon the land... hopefully Pacifica won't pull a Mauser and commit repeated acts of genocide...

Princess Seness of the Giat empire was the Casull's true ally and they should have given their allegiance to her... I'd rather serve a person who put their kingdom on the line for me, as opposed to someone who stabbed Pacifica in the back...

As for Chris, he's a pragmatist and opportunist who will always find the path to survival. Textbook example of amorality and added a new dimension to the show...

And the Peacemakers? R.I.P, especially Cz - I owe them an apology for doubting their motives and intentions; the humans were clearly in the wrong and they were fully deserving of punishment...

Ah, and finally, our happy couple, Shannon and Pacifica. May you live long and prosper; I'm sure you'll have the support of Raquel and Zefiris...
Old 2008-04-02, 02:51   Link #100
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Ah, and finally, our happy couple, Shannon and Pacifica. May you live long and prosper...
...what? Think something is amiss here.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen