AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-21, 02:24   Link #141
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Following recipes is very important if you are baking. Chemical reactions take place when the measurements are correct, not so much when they aren't.
Old 2012-04-21, 06:10   Link #142
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
This is a famous Malaysian cuisine, called “nasi lemak”. Malaysians love to eat this for breakfast. Actually, you can also eat it for lunch and dinner. This dish consist of sambal (spicy paste made from ginger, dried chilli, garlic and shallots), coconut rice, fried anchovies, peanuts, boiled egg and cucumber. Anyway, I have posted here step-by-step guidance with photos, so I hope you will be able to make it too! This recipe can serve up to 6 people.
Looks delicious. Question on the sambal recipe, is it a variation on sambal asam or is it a different sambal? As your not using belacan and lime.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 07:39   Link #143
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Looks delicious. Question on the sambal recipe, is it a variation on sambal asam or is it a different sambal? As your not using belacan and lime.
You will undoubtedly find many types of sambal. This sambal is my own recipe. You can choose to use belacan, if you want. It depends on your preference.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 18:52   Link #144
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

For dinner today, I made scrambled egg with tomatoes and mapo tofu.

Scrambled egg with tomato:

A supposedly simple dish that my noob self manages to fail at half of the time. This time it looks a bit disgusting since the heat was too low when I cooked the egg, and too high when I cooked the tomato. The taste is fine, though, so I only consider it semi-fail.

Mapo tofu:

I'm happy with this attempt in the look department. It tastes fine but needs to be spiced up a little more (it's not as spicy as it looks). I want it spicy enough so that I have to grab my cup of water/soda every few bite.

The dining table:

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 18:58   Link #145
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
For dinner today, I made scrambled egg with tomatoes and mapo tofu.
We do the scrambled eggs and tomatoes two or three times a month. It's quite tasty.
Old 2012-04-21, 18:59   Link #146
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Today, I made onde-onde! It's made from rice flour, but you can also make it using sweet potato.

Old 2012-04-21, 19:13   Link #147
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
We do the scrambled eggs and tomatoes two or three times a month. It's quite tasty.
I was told that it's a common dish even though I only first heard of it a year and a half ago. I had thought that it would taste eww, but when someone made it for me a year ago I felt it was actually quite good.

Must have made my parents proud since I rarely eat vegetable (but I guess tomato is closer to a fruit).

Anyway, where's your trademark Endless "something something" Soul?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 19:31   Link #148
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post

Anyway, where's your trademark Endless "something something" Soul?
Sometimes I just forget.

Endless "Forgetful" Soul
Old 2012-04-23, 00:44   Link #149
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

My dad used to make scrambled eggs and tomatoes all the time. I never really understood why, is it a common Chinese dish?
Old 2012-04-23, 01:03   Link #150
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

My guess would be that it is a western dish. I don't think scrambled eggs is eaten much in countries like China.

Something I've had before that was pretty good was an egg-white omelet with diced tomato, deli style turkey meat, and bits of cooked bacon. Pretty healthy. The bacon doesn't add that much fat and the cholesterol isn't too high. And it tastes great.

I went to google image search "egg white omelette". Nothing but pictures of omelettes filled the screen...except there was this picture...

Spoiler for NSFW:

Didn't expect that. XD
Old 2012-04-23, 05:47   Link #151
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I also do scrambled eggs and tomatoes often. It is derived from a Middle Eastern dish, shakshuka. Though when I make mine it usually includes lots of fresh tomatoes, basil... yum.
Old 2012-04-23, 05:49   Link #152
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

scrambled eggs and tomatoes is really easy to make, plus, it's much healthier than other heavier meals!

Old 2012-04-23, 07:42   Link #153
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Scrambled eggs and tomatoes is known as saganaki here, but we also add cheese and the eggs aren't cooked to the point of an omelette. When you have potatoes, eggs, veggies, mean, rice and pasta to work with, two dishes always come up in the week...scrambled eggs with fries and saganaki

It's pretty heavy on the calories though...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 15:35   Link #154
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Calories aren't unhealthy as long as you don't take in too many. You do need energy to function, after all.
Old 2012-04-23, 15:38   Link #155
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

it depends on the way you cook. I usually try to avoid cooking using oil if possible. I always steam my food.

Old 2012-04-23, 20:39   Link #156
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I've seen these veggies in packaged soup before (they come dehydrated). Corn, cabbage, and carrots. Just a little bit of each.

I was thinking of making a soup with a bit of frozen corn, a bit of cut up, fresh cabbage, and tiny bits of fresh carrot. Put the cabbage in at the very end and cook it for about 90-100 seconds and then remove the soup from heat so that it softens but has a bit of crunch. Do you think that'd be enough time? I'd say no more than 2 minutes.

I was going to make a soup with those veggies, sliced up pork meat (from boneless pork chops), egg noodles, and a combination of chicken broth (which I have) and then some beef stock (I prefer stocks to broths, but I already have the chicken broth). I think the combination of chicken and beef flavored liquids will be better with pork than just one or the other alone with it. Maybe add some black pepper to it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I could add to this soup? I was thinking sesame oil and vegetable oil. Does that sound like a good idea, or not needed? Anything else that'd be a good addition?
Old 2012-04-23, 20:53   Link #157
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I've seen these veggies in packaged soup before (they come dehydrated). Corn, cabbage, and carrots. Just a little bit of each.

I was thinking of making a soup with a bit of frozen corn, a bit of cut up, fresh cabbage, and tiny bits of fresh carrot. Put the cabbage in at the very end and cook it for about 90-100 seconds and then remove the soup from heat so that it softens but has a bit of crunch. Do you think that'd be enough time? I'd say no more than 2 minutes.

I was going to make a soup with those veggies, sliced up pork meat (from boneless pork chops), egg noodles, and a combination of chicken broth (which I have) and then some beef stock (I prefer stocks to broths, but I already have the chicken broth). I think the combination of chicken and beef flavored liquids will be better with pork than just one or the other alone with it. Maybe add some black pepper to it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I could add to this soup? I was thinking sesame oil and vegetable oil. Does that sound like a good idea, or not needed? Anything else that'd be a good addition?
Normally, I would leave the cabbage longer than that, but since I have no idea how you cut it, I can't comment much. If you like your cabbage to have a crunchy feeling, you can leave it for about 2 minutes.

Wow, your soup is going to have some strong flavour! Chicken broth and beef stock...You can add some seafood if you want, like mussels or prawn. I would say you already have enough stuff in your soup. You can put some sesame oil, but not too much because sesame oil has a rather strong flavour, and if you put too much, your soup will taste only of sesame oil. Perhaps just a little. Or you can choose not to put it. If you want some extra flavour, use light soy sauce. Personally, I will not put anything else apart from what you have suggested because the natural flavour from the broth and the stock is already tasty enough IMO. If it is too tasteless, add some salt.

Old 2012-04-23, 20:56   Link #158
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, simpler is better. Got it. I might not add sesame oil. Light soy sauce is light on sodium, or light on that distinct soy sauce flavor?
Old 2012-04-23, 20:58   Link #159
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Okay, simpler is better. Got it. I might not add sesame oil. Light soy sauce is light on sodium, or light on that distinct soy sauce flavor?
Light on that distinct soy sauce flavor. Again, don't add in too much. Regardless whether it's dark or light soy sauce, adding too much will make your soup way too salty. You merely want to enhance the taste of the soup.

Anyways, it's up to you entirely, of course.

Old 2012-04-23, 21:03   Link #160
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'll check out light soy sauce. I don't want it too salty. I'll have half chicken broth, half beef stock. I might just buy some chicken stock, actually. The chicken broth will still be put to use (I used some for brown rice and it turned out good).