AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-07, 23:05   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Power Rangers reboot film (3/24/2017)

Looks like we're getting a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers reboot. Even though I'm in my late twenties now, I'm actually excited to see what direction they'll be taking this in. This is the same company that brought us The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Twilight. Hopefully we get more mature themes with this new incarnation/reboot. I remember folks joking about this not too long ago and it seemed like a pipe dream. This is actually happening though. Wow.

Since I've seen both Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, I'm hopefully an homage is paid to both. We'll see. I think I'm more a fan of Zyuranger though since everything is actually within it's proper context. And Japan's version is slightly more mature for a children's show, although much weirder.

Quote:
Get ready to say "It's Morphin Time!" in theaters because Lionsgate and Saban have announced a partnership to bring "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" to the big screen as a live action film. Revealed via the official Lionsgate Twitter, the upcoming film will "re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world." The film looks to be a reboot of the original "Power Rangers" concept, and according to the press release, will be the start of a "new film franchise."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52654

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 09:46   Link #2
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
As long as they keep it simple (IE. No long morphing scenes, just when they morph they morph).

I mean a lot of good movies are about superheroes and a good number of them wear tight spandex-like costumes anyways...
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 10:17   Link #3
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

there going to do a new power rangers give based on MMPR?

give reading on it seem give same characters but new reboot version of it?

since recall over 20s yrs since days of MMPR yet it seem reboot-remake of it?

yet wonder if anyone past MMPR will at least make appear/cameo on it?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 10:20   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oh wow, another Hollywood Ranger movie? Well, if nothing else, I just want to see some animal Zords combining into one Megazord and smack some monsters' asses with helluva better CGI this time. The CGI mecha-battle in the first MMPR: The Movie suck Devastator’s balls.

Anyway, I’ve seen the internet reaction over this news and lots of people think a really gritty Ranger movie is the only way for it to work as if they want the second coming of The Dark Knight. I want to say to them: guys, come on, these are guys who wear colorful spandex and helmets to fight monsters and battling giant monsters with their own giant robo. Making it a bit more serious is good (like Jetman) but wanting this to be TDK-level of grit is madness. Maybe an even/balanced approach like Captain ‘Murica: Winter Soldier will work better. This one should be as fun as The Avengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
This is the same company that brought us The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Twilight.
And Punisher: Warzone and Saw movies . I so can’t wait to see some Rangers blowing monsters’ heads off with their blasters and slicing limbs with their melee weapons. (Alien) blood everywhere!
Old 2014-05-08, 10:50   Link #5
GDB

Great video. Honestly, I hope they do make it darker. That was something I always found interesting in the Japanese ones (granted I only watched Gokaiger, but still): the characters could die at any time. Even Zyuranger, which MMPR is based off of, had the Green Ranger die rather than merely lose his powers.

Even if they DON'T kill rangers off, I'd like to feel like there's the possibility for it to happen. You never really got that back then.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 11:38   Link #6
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Make the Megazoid battle on par with Pacific Rim's please.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 11:52   Link #7
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I wasn't expecting this.

If they are making a reboot movie, this song better appear.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-05-08, 12:09   Link #8
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Honestly I never got into this show as I was an adult when it started airing in the States. I think I saw only one episode when I was hanging out with a girlfriend and her pre-teen younger sister was watching it. However, if it goes the dark and gritty route, which many reboots seem to be doing these days, I just might see it.

Endless "No nickname today" Soul
Old 2014-05-08, 13:25   Link #9
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Honestly I never got into this show as I was an adult when it started airing in the States. I think I saw only one episode when I was hanging out with a girlfriend and her pre-teen younger sister was watching it. However, if it goes the dark and gritty route, which many reboots seem to be doing these days, I just might see it.

Endless "No nickname today" Soul
Power Rangers Time Force was probably one of the darkest Ranger series there ever was.

Rangers in Space was pretty good too.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 13:48   Link #10
monster

As my favorite in the franchise, I want them to stay true to the original US series and just have fun with it (which doesn't mean there can't be serious parts as well). Dark shows have their places in the entertainment spectrum, but this is not one of them.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 13:57   Link #11
DMurphy

Intriguing.

To be honest, my big hope is that it's as campy and ridiculous as possible, and just fun.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 02:02   Link #12
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

Great video. Honestly, I hope they do make it darker. That was something I always found interesting in the Japanese ones (granted I only watched Gokaiger, but still): the characters could die at any time. Even Zyuranger, which MMPR is based off of, had the Green Ranger die rather than merely lose his powers.

Even if they DON'T kill rangers off, I'd like to feel like there's the possibility for it to happen. You never really got that back then.
While it doesn't happen very often, Power Rangers has killed off characters including Power Rangers.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 02:30   Link #13
Samari
World's Greatest

I hope the actors aren't so young looking though that I'll not want to see it. Apparently the characters are going to be in high school, but I hope they either get some actors that don't look small and frail and/or have the characters starting out college or something. Maybe when they transform their powers will magically turn them into having super physiques. Guess you could never take your helmet off then without the powers fading away then. I don't know. Overthinking it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 04:29   Link #14
monster

Quote:
Maybe when they transform their powers will magically turn them into having super physiques.
I don't know about that. From what I recall in the series, when they transform, they become skinnier (although maybe fitter).
Old 2014-05-09, 07:56   Link #15
GDB

Quote:
Maybe when they transform their powers will magically turn them into having super physiques.
Sounds like you want Shazam!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 10:21   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Sounds like you want Shazam!
That, or Samari wants something akin to an old American show I remember called Tattooed Teenage: Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills (Google it) that will change the hero from a thin & frail girl like this...:
Images

into this:
Images

Can't say whether it's good or bad...
Old 2014-05-09, 10:38   Link #17
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't know about that. From what I recall in the series, when they transform, they become skinnier (although maybe fitter).
I think that was because all the action scenes were just ripped from the Japanese version. Might be wrong on that, though.

My favorite when I was a kid was Lord Zed, especially before they dumbed him down. I remember I had a large sized action figure of him.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-09, 11:10   Link #18
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think that was because all the action scenes were just ripped from the Japanese version. Might be wrong on that, though.

My favorite when I was a kid was Lord Zed, especially before they dumbed him down. I remember I had a large sized action figure of him.
The only scenes that aren't from the Japanese versions are the ones where you can see the actual actors. Otherwise it's all edited from the original show. Occasionally they'll use the original props/suits when the episode calls for a scene that wasn't in the original Japanese version, but it's not that common.

Zedd is actually a good example of how they've tried to make the show "kid friendly". Parents actually complained he was too scary for kids back then, so they toned him down and gave him some comedic relief. Zedd's one of my favorite villains, so I was bummed when they did that. His theme song is the best!

YouTube

Unfortunately they've been making the casting choices (and the show in general) more squeaky clean since the Disney era. The newest ones are downright awful. I swear they're going to break out into a "Have you heard the word of the good book?" sermon at any minute.
Old 2014-05-09, 14:07   Link #19
monster

Quote:
I think that was because all the action scenes were just ripped from the Japanese version.
Indeed, I was making a lighthearted reference to that.
Old 2014-05-09, 15:21   Link #20
VampirePaladin

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The only scenes that aren't from the Japanese versions are the ones where you can see the actual actors. Otherwise it's all edited from the original show. Occasionally they'll use the original props/suits when the episode calls for a scene that wasn't in the original Japanese version, but it's not that common.

Zedd is actually a good example of how they've tried to make the show "kid friendly". Parents actually complained he was too scary for kids back then, so they toned him down and gave him some comedic relief. Zedd's one of my favorite villains, so I was bummed when they did that. His theme song is the best!

YouTube

Unfortunately they've been making the casting choices (and the show in general) more squeaky clean since the Disney era. The newest ones are downright awful. I swear they're going to break out into a "Have you heard the word of the good book?" sermon at any minute.
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers burned through most of the Super Sentai footage in its first season. Toei had to make more footage for them nicknamed Zyu2 that was designed specifically for Power Rangers. Even that was used up. By the time the third season came around they had a lot more original footage than Japanese, except of course for zord fights. The whole reason why they switched to Zeo was so that they could use more Super Sentai fight footage again. Even after the switch original footage gets used with some seasons having more than others. Some have so much as to completely change the tone of the show. For example Go-Onger was a silly and lighthearted sentai while Power Rangers RPM was a rather darker one that starts off with the badguys having already won and killed off most the humans.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote