AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-04-07, 21:10   Link #341
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I couldn't help but think of KonoSuba. I actually thought when they went in that there'd be dolls chasing them. Not quite what I was imagining, but still.

Anyway, seems about time to move this back to Current, no?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-07, 22:06   Link #342
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Same here, lol. That place was looking pretty tired. I wonder how much time was supposed to have passed between the night they dealt with the doll and the day he took Sylphy there. Must've been months, unless magic can help heh. If I were him, I'd probably do some light work to make it more presentable but leave the bulk for after Sylphy has been there and can pitch in. It'd be nicer to renovate the place with my fiancé, so that way she has some "sweat equity" in the home as well and will feel more connected with it.
It might explain why Sylphie knew about ahead of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I couldn't help but think of KonoSuba. I actually thought when they went in that there'd be dolls chasing them. Not quite what I was imagining, but still.

Anyway, seems about time to move this back to Current, no?
I've seen a few Isekai or fantasy shows where they got a mansion to themselves because they cleared up some ghosts.

This show is probably why .
Old 2024-04-08, 03:17   Link #343
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Same here, lol. That place was looking pretty tired. I wonder how much time was supposed to have passed between the night they dealt with the doll and the day he took Sylphy there. Must've been months, unless magic can help heh. If I were him, I'd probably do some light work to make it more presentable but leave the bulk for after Sylphy has been there and can pitch in. It'd be nicer to renovate the place with my fiancé, so that way she has some "sweat equity" in the home as well and will feel more connected with it.
Manga version said three weeks... which is a very impressive renovation time frame. About twice as fast as most shows do their fastest full-house renovations, and those are usually normal sized houses, not mansions.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-08, 07:09   Link #344
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I guess magic cleans the house considering how this series' magic can even produce figurine. Still, heard the ending theme was already leaked.
Old 2024-04-08, 08:22   Link #345
magnuskn

Rudys speciality is earth magic, getting the house back into shape should have been pretty easy for him.
Old 2024-04-08, 14:20   Link #346
Strahan

I guess... though most of the time his earth magic seems to be literally earth related. Is earth magic really going to repair broken joists, replaster walls, replace broken windows, replace missing tile...? It's fantasy, so it can do whatever the writer wants it to but in the framework of what we've seen that feels kind of unlikely.

(shrug)
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-08, 14:29   Link #347
Dextro
He Without a Title

Mind that Rudeus did mention that he had only fixed one of the rooms upstairs so far (along with the downstairs stuff we saw). Still, very impressive timeframe to get that done in (supposedly) 3 weeks
Old 2024-04-12, 06:26   Link #348
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Preview is out.
Spoiler for content:
Old 2024-04-14, 11:04   Link #349
Frontier

They've broken in the house and now it's time to kick off the wedding reception! It's a shame Rudy's family can't join them, but there's still plenty of friends they can invite to join in on celebrating their love together !

New OP! With Rudy's childhood, experiences with his family up until adulthood, reuniting with ROXY(!!!), married life with Sylphie, hanging out with his little sisters...and is that naked Zenith being guarded by some kind of hydra !

Look at them already out on a shopping date together picking up new clothes and things for the house! So cute! Rudy's even picking out a cloak Sylphie picked out! And then they bathe together and Sylphie flirts with Rudy...and a peck on the cheek turns into Rudy carrying her straight to bed so he can go to town on her !

Oh hey, Nanahoshi actually showed up! She even congratulated them and tried to smooth over Sylphie's assumptions about their relationship! Though getting to eat some potato chips probably helped .

It's not a real party until Badigadi arrives and helps smooth over introductions! What a guy .

Wait, Elinalise...is Sylphie's grandmother!? Meaning she's her dads' mom!? And she's always felt self-conscious about the effect her lifestyle and personality had on her kids' lives so she was never around past the point where they didn't need them any more...but she never stopped loving them. And now she has a granddaughter about to get married !

While Grandma and granddaughter are getting acquainted, Rudy duels Luke. The sword may not be his specialty, but with his skills and abilities, he makes short work of him. And this was for Ariel's party pride to let go of their beloved Sylphie, because Ariel fully intends to return to Asura without her to protect her and leave her in the hands of someone who can cherish and take care of her, because she knows how dangerous her quest for the throne will be. But maybe Rudy can help her ?

Aw, Cliff loves Elinalise so much that her past and proclivities just makes him want to break her curse even more so they can be together! And he and Rudy have become such bros !

Sylphie embracing her femininity and growing her hair out for Rudy? Lucky guy .

Cute and serene and romantic ED! Rudy from chidlhood up to his romance with Sylphie, having cute times with her and his two sisters .
Old 2024-04-14, 17:21   Link #350
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Cute episode. It was nice to see Rudy and Sylphie act like a normal couple without the Fitz visage. They were real cute together, and the bath scene was really heartwarming =03. Biggest surprise was that Elinalise was Sylphie's grandmother. I do remember the pendant scene when Lise and Rudy first met, but I thought that meant they were part of the same clan, that pendant was a token given to one's partner, and just figured Lise didn't want to infringe on that as a fellow elf.

The fight with Luke was pretty cool, if only to insert a moment of action in an otherwise actionless two episodes. I thought Rudy's reluctance was because he hadn't been sword training specifically, even if he was exercising everyday, but I guess he didn't want to embarrass him.

Other than Nanohoshi, it looks like there isn't too much more that the story can do here, so I imagine that the Nanohoshi business will spark some kind of revelation that will proc him to continue his journey. I also feel that Badi has a purpose, but it simply hasn't been revealed; perhaps once Rudy starts traveling again. As nice as it is, I don't foresee 4/5 more episodes of him living the 'slow life'. It's time for more misadventures of ̶D̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶E̶n̶d̶ Rudy Greyrat.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 18:09   Link #351
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Elinalise's curse had mostly been played for laughs until now, so it was quite shocking in a good way to see her break down because she felt a "whore" like her had no right to call herself Sylphie's grandmother. It humanized her a lot and made me realize that while she always appears to enjoy herself, her curse has ruined her life. It made me change how I perceive Cliff too: that guy is a real Chad. I thought it was very small-minded of Rudeus to think he would be disillusioned with her just because she probably has plenty of children/grandchildren around. I knew seeing her so vulnerable would only reinforce Cliff's desire to cure her and be with her. I can't say I'm surprised Rudeus saw it that way though, it's pretty in-character for him. I would have hoped he would have grown a bit more, though.

I'm assuming Rudeus used his future sight to win the duel, otherwise Luke is a complete shitter. Rudeus hadn't held a sword in over a decade, it was unfair to ask him to compete that way in the first place.

Sylphie growing her hair out is welcome news. See that, Nisio? THAT can be character development too.
Old 2024-04-14, 18:11   Link #352
grecefar

the hints were there I guess, I didn't pay much attention so I was suprised that elinalise and sylphie are related. I'm happy for elinalise and by the opening cliff and her are really serious, I was getting my doubts.

fluffy chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 18:25   Link #353
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I thought Rudy's reluctance was because he hadn't been sword training specifically, even if he was exercising everyday, but I guess he didn't want to embarrass him.
In the manga version of the fight, he assumed Luke was on par with Ruijerd and Eris, while Rudy considers himself average at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm assuming Rudeus used his future sight to win the duel, otherwise Luke is a complete shitter. Rudeus hadn't held a sword in over a decade, it was unfair to ask him to compete that way in the first place.
In the manga version (I hate having to keep prefacing with this, especially knowing the LN version is the original, but it's my only other reference point and it does clear up some of these things that otherwise won't be addressed), he used the demon eye at the start of the fight, realized Luke's movement wasn't actually on par with Ruijerd and Eris, and then deactivated it and just used the sword technique Paul taught him to disarm Luke. He states that Luke is still far above a normal person, but not even close to the two he thought he'd be near.

Also, it hasn't been a decade. Only been about 3-4 years, I believe? Still a long time, but it isn't like he's let his body go or anything.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 19:03   Link #354
ryllharu

There's a stunning lack of any narrative conflict or remotely interesting character development, especially coming off of a very slow-paced previous season. It's more irritating when we are aware of a large number of open plot threads and character narratives. All of which Rudeus knows about too.

I'm going to exercise caution and just leave my criticism at that.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 20:12   Link #355
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Other than Nanohoshi, it looks like there isn't too much more that the story can do here, so I imagine that the Nanohoshi business will spark some kind of revelation that will proc him to continue his journey. I also feel that Badi has a purpose, but it simply hasn't been revealed; perhaps once Rudy starts traveling again. As nice as it is, I don't foresee 4/5 more episodes of him living the 'slow life'. It's time for more misadventures of ̶D̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶E̶n̶d̶ Rudy Greyrat.
It looks like he's at least going to start living with his sisters first.
Quote:
Elinalise's curse had mostly been played for laughs until now, so it was quite shocking in a good way to see her break down because she felt a "whore" like her had no right to call herself Sylphie's grandmother. It humanized her a lot and made me realize that while she always appears to enjoy herself, her curse has ruined her life. It made me change how I perceive Cliff too: that guy is a real Chad. I thought it was very small-minded of Rudeus to think he would be disillusioned with her just because she probably has plenty of children/grandchildren around. I knew seeing her so vulnerable would only reinforce Cliff's desire to cure her and be with her. I can't say I'm surprised Rudeus saw it that way though, it's pretty in-character for him. I would have hoped he would have grown a bit more, though.
It also puts into perspective why Cliff is so important to her because he's the first person to truly accept and want to be with her despite her curse and wants to help her get rid of it so she can have the one thing that it's denied her, the chance to have a real family.
Quote:
Sylphie growing her hair out is welcome news. See that, Nisio? THAT can be character development too.
I like it when girls grow their hair out when they're in love .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
There's a stunning lack of any narrative conflict or remotely interesting character development, especially coming off of a very slow-paced previous season. It's more irritating when we are aware of a large number of open plot threads and character narratives. All of which Rudeus knows about too.

I'm going to exercise caution and just leave my criticism at that.
I think there's been a lot of character development in terms of Rudeus, Sylphie, and even Cliff and Elinalise.

The OP makes it look like some of the plotlines start to coincide where Rudy reunites with Roxy and the rest of Paul's party to free Zenith.
Old 2024-04-14, 20:30   Link #356
oatmelk

I'm really enjoying this so far. It has all the happiness and calm we all strive and wish for that is protected by the strength of Sylphie and Rudy. It has none of the fragility one might expect from a "romantic" story line, it's quite refreshing.
oatmelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 20:31   Link #357
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think there's been a lot of character development in terms of Rudeus, Sylphie, and even Cliff and Elinalise.
I have faith that someone else could make the case for the former, though I'm not seeing any these past two episodes.

But Cliff and Elinalise are in exactly the same place in their relationship that they were when they first got together. He already accepted everything about her last season. It didn't change their dynamic in a postiive or negative manner.

My primary gripe is the following pattern (not a problem unique to this series, others have had it too):

1) Introduce a potential character conflict with a line of dialogue or two
2) Rudeus comments about it internally
3) The very next line(s) of dialogue resolves it immediately before it starts going anywhere

A whole potential narrative thread is introduced and dismissed in a couple minutes at most. This happened a lot last season, and here it is again. Contrast this to the first season where character conflicts would fester, slowly thaw, and take episodes or entire arcs to work through.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 22:14   Link #358
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I have faith that someone else could make the case for the former, though I'm not seeing any these past two episodes.

But Cliff and Elinalise are in exactly the same place in their relationship that they were when they first got together. He already accepted everything about her last season. It didn't change their dynamic in a postiive or negative manner.

My primary gripe is the following pattern (not a problem unique to this series, others have had it too):

1) Introduce a potential character conflict with a line of dialogue or two
2) Rudeus comments about it internally
3) The very next line(s) of dialogue resolves it immediately before it starts going anywhere

A whole potential narrative thread is introduced and dismissed in a couple minutes at most. This happened a lot last season, and here it is again. Contrast this to the first season where character conflicts would fester, slowly thaw, and take episodes or entire arcs to work through.
I'm talking about Cliff in comparison to how he was first introduced with Eris and when we first met him through Rudy.

With Elinalise we're slowly peeling her character back and finding out she's more nuanced and complicated than just a promiscuous elf woman.
Old 2024-04-14, 22:38   Link #359
Strahan

Grecefar's "fluffy" description for this episode is apt, lol. It was cool of the princess to put it out there that she doesn't expect Sylphy to tag along on her Asuran conquest mission. Seeing something in this episode reminded me of some irritation, as a novel reader who knows the future events heh. I wholeheartedly support Sylphy wanting to grow her hair out. Much more a fan of long hair on women than short
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 23:41   Link #360
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
It looks like he's at least going to start living with his sisters first.
Not blaming you or anything, but I'm guessing you saw the OP/ED scenes. It's exactly why I like to avoid those, since they give away future possibilities. I'd like the story to tell me as I go, like a book; you don't get a preview of the next chapter(or across all chapters) at the end of the current one. Hopefully I'll forget this statement by next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
In the manga version of the fight....
Ah, I see =03. Appreciate the clarification. On second watch, he does seem more unconfident he can't win, then worried about embarrassing him, like Fitz at the beginning of the school arc. His dialogue makes more sense that way.

Quote:
Elinalise's curse had mostly been played for laughs until now, so it was quite shocking in a good way to see her break down because she felt a "whore" like her had no right to call herself Sylphie's grandmother. It humanized her a lot and made me realize that while she always appears to enjoy herself, her curse has ruined her life. It made me change how I perceive Cliff too: that guy is a real Chad. I thought it was very small-minded of Rudeus to think he would be disillusioned with her just because she probably has plenty of children/grandchildren around. I knew seeing her so vulnerable would only reinforce Cliff's desire to cure her and be with her.
That was indeed quite an emotional moment. I don't think I put into perspective the gravity of that situation, until this statement. Makes me glad she could finally lift that burden off of her shoulders.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, isekai