AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

View Poll Results: Zero no Tsukaima Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 11 26.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 34.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 4.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-28, 00:08   Link #21
Srin Tuar
無謀

offtopic talk:
Spoiler:

Anyway, to get back on topic:
one detail that many would liked to have seen in this ep:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-28, 00:10   Link #22
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

off topic
Spoiler for dunno why it is a spoiler, but the previous reply was a spoiler as well so there:

Yay for on topic:

Is anyone else upset at the story putting up Cromwell as one of the potential villians of the story? He was a brillian revolutionary, he only temporally destroyed England's monarchy system as a side act

Last edited by Proto; 2006-08-28 at 00:35.
Old 2006-08-28, 00:29   Link #23
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan
Is anyone else upset at the story putting up Cromwell as one of the potential villians of the story? He was a brillian revolutionary, he only temporally destroyed England's monarchy system as a side act

ひさしぶり Protoさん

About the names yamaguchi-sensei has chosen for his characters:
Honestly I think he just picks them nearly at random for the way they sound
and the style of the character that they belong to. I dont think there is
any deeper meaning to it than that. (no metaphors, no political statements,
nothing.)

For me, thats the reason I refuse to "untranslate" the names. In english, they
bring in too much unwanted nuance and connotation that I think is not a part of
the story. So for me, Cromwell will be クロムウェル.

about クロムウェル:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-28, 00:43   Link #24
Proto

honto ni hisashiburi desu ne, Srin Tuar senpai (aka I would write in kanna's myself but I screwed up SCIM beyond redemption last week and I've been too lazy to fix it )

Quote:
For me, thats the reason I refuse to "untranslate" the names. In english, they
bring in too much unwanted nuance and connotation that I think is not a part of
the story.
Hmm... point taken. I am myself a partidary of respecting Yamaguchi-sensei original source of inspiration for his names, but what you say makes sense.

Spoiler for RE: about クロムウェル::

Last edited by Proto; 2006-08-28 at 08:46.
Old 2006-08-28, 02:57   Link #25
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
About the names yamaguchi-sensei has chosen for his characters:
Honestly I think he just picks them nearly at random for the way they sound
and the style of the character that they belong to. I dont think there is
any deeper meaning to it than that. (no metaphors, no political statements,
nothing.)
He most definitely did not choose the names at random, which you should already know from the examples of Louise and Henrietta.

I do agree that the characters and events that occured in Zero no Tsukaima have no relationships to any real-life individuals or events whatsoever.

However, it's quite obvious that many characters and events in the story were inspired from real-life examples. Cromwell being one of them (Oliver Cromwell), as is Henrietta's advisor, Cardinal Mazarini (Jules Mazarin), etc.. So wouldn't call them "random", as they are clearly chosen deliberately for their characters.

As for translating the names or not, it's personal choice. I simply write them in English because it's easier for others here to understand.
Old 2006-08-28, 08:55   Link #26
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
He most definitely did not choose the names at random, which you should already know from the examples of Louise and Henrietta.
I read the wikipedia links, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldnt find any real parallels deeper than the superficial. If you have found some I would love to hear about it. Otherwise I still say he chose the names for sound and the style of the historical figure, and otherwise they have no deeper meaning.

Quote:

As for translating the names or not, it's personal choice. I simply write them in English because it's easier for others here to understand.
Lol, I'm also a card-carrying member of the anti-ローマ字 club, so that puts me in a particular bind.
Sometimes it annoys people I know, but I tell them that the kana are really not all that hard to learn...
Old 2006-08-28, 08:56   Link #27
Sasha

^

About the names.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-28, 09:31   Link #28
Proto

@Sasha

Spoiler:

Anyway, despite being interesting, if anyone wants to continue this parallelism comparison I guess it should get its own thread. Otherwise Catgirls will come and purr at us or something
Old 2006-08-28, 09:34   Link #29
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

louise dere dere rocks! too bad it was only the potion T_T

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-31, 11:31   Link #30
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I feel sorry for Saito He's having too many girl problems Let's see...I wonder if there would be more girls who will fall for him other than Siesta, Louise, and Kirche?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-08-31, 14:29   Link #31
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Bust Revolution!!!
Old 2006-09-02, 18:27   Link #32
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

It's what that animal-thing is doing to Louise in the ep 10 preview that has me worried...
Old 2006-09-02, 19:40   Link #33
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
looking forward to cromwell myself, afterall coming from an ancient roundhead (Republican) county, im very interested to to see how they bring this villian into play. Mind you whoever said cromwell was a brilliant revolutionary, is in error. He was a brilliant millitary commander, but not very good revolutionary. after all it all fell apart shortly after.....and monachy reinstated by the very people he profess to represent.

Well, thankfully all the rest of republicans had a big sulk and headed off to America.
Old 2006-09-02, 21:13   Link #34
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

OH GOD THIS EPISODE WAS GREAT.

Only one way to describe Loiuse's dere-dere mode in this episode: moeee! I think the main reason why Shana fell off towards the end was because it took itself too seriously, but it looks like Zero no Tsukaima won't make the same mistake. Which is good, since this series is just so much fun. I wouldn't want it to take itself seriously for a minute.

Saito continues to impress me as well. His strength as a character is one of the reasons why both this series and himself are so appealing. It's actually quite believable that he has a plethora of girls who want him, which is (far too) rare in anime, since most harem leads are unappealing and sometimes even invisible. (Not that this is a harem... but you can see what I'm trying to say).

Overall: most fun I've ever had in a series of this type. Fingers crossed it'll keep it up.
Old 2006-09-02, 22:06   Link #35
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i finally got to lay my eyes onto this ep and i have to agree with sorrow-k's comment...
"OH GOD THIS EPISODE WAS GREAT"

yes yes yes!! louise trying to seduce saito on the bed was gold!!! arra put on some pants!! XDXDXD but not trying to do anything strange he has the heart of a gentlemen ^^

guiche is scared of saito...whow another point for the commoner...and saito is actually blackmailing a noble...another point
omg haha half made hat erm i mean sweater XD
and yep i immediatly guessed who those two magicians were then louise had to come and make a big boom

too bad louise returned to spanking saito with that whip it was a really fun ep and one of the best IMO well worth the wait...100/10

edit: woohoo my 1000th post spent on something worthwhile ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-09-02, 22:15   Link #36
Renge
smile

^_______^ Awesomeness!!! I loved the siesta-jealous part its was so great!!

I would have been better if the princess didnt come too early and see more louise getting blush and getting mad.
Old 2006-09-03, 03:33   Link #37
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

This episode was interesting and good for a few laughs, but it wasn't that great. I'm not complaining about how Louise became all lovey dovey though. Why did she bite Saito on the neck anway? That's some strange love right there.

Now a quick question, did the water spirit know all the previous Gundolf/Gandalf that came into that world? She said something that all the previous Gundolf/Gandalf were trustworthy and so he trusted Saito.

I noticed how Derflinfer (saito's sword) said that "This is nostalgic." when they were talking to the spirit. Could his previous user be a Gundolf/Gandalf?
Old 2006-09-03, 03:52   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I was thinking the sword'd come there before. Maybe it was Excalibur to the Spirit's Lady of the Lake.
Old 2006-09-03, 10:47   Link #39
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Dere Louise = The Internet [/4chan]

Tho I like Louise, her personality slowly starts to piss me off. I mean, she has some feeling for Saito, but she still pretends like she hasn`t... Plus she`s treating him like a dog... Bah, the worst thing is, Saito doesn`t even try to change that statement! If I was him... Oh, wait. This isn`t RL...
Old 2006-09-03, 17:32   Link #40
ThoHell

Louise bugs the hell out of me and Saito needs to hurry up and find a way back home and make Louise all sad as hell or something. I wonder how their power will develope later on in the sieres. Louise's magic is extremely strong, she just doesn't have the right motivation to make it work and I think Saito has more abilities yet to be learned. What do you guys think?
Closed Thread