AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Negima Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 4 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 53.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 15.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 10.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-19, 16:14   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Negima Episode 3 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Negima, Episode 3!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-10-19, 16:27   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 3 just cemented this in my mind as a series to watch. The art and animation continue to blow me away. And I found myself beginning to get the story. Despite the vivid contrast between semi-serious Asuna and chibi-comic Asuna. My sympathy for Evangeline continues to grow. And for Negi. And for Asuna. And for everyone, I guess.

I enjoyed the OP animation even more this time. The pace and rhythm and humor. I'd noticed the skirt dropping before, but this time I saw the foot stomping on another foot. I guess there are more details to find. Negi and Asuna leaping off the top of the pile is funny and grand at the same time.

I haven't read the manga and couldn't make it far into the first series, so I am coming at this pretty fresh, with few preconceptions to be violated.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-10-19, 18:48   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

And from someone who is following the manga and the first anime, I'd also say that this show continues to impress. Maybe it's a bit of a grand word to use, but what comes to mind is "enthralling" - rarely a scene goes by where I don't think "woah, that's so cool..." Just superb art and direction that feels incredibly fresh (while at the same time offering a good dose of parody material). Episode 3 concludes what really was one heck of an opening arc. On the one hand, it throws us head first into this world and moves a break-neck pace, but my if the ride isn't enjoyable. They also achieved a sort of delicate balance between the original story and their own adaptation - it's Negima, but it's not, and I like it. Wherever they decide to take this story-wise, it seems like it'll be a fun ride.
Old 2006-10-19, 20:26   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The show is relentless at making fun of it's predecessor. Numbering the girls in the OP!? They don't even care if we know any of the names of these girls. That voice over announcer cracks me up every time. He pokes fun of Negi more than anything though I think the announcer has a thing for Kamo-kun. Baka rangers are just plain funny without even trying. Chachamaru's dry humor is actually amusing in this series. The drawing, the color (Shinbo is so good with the color red), and the above average animation just makes this series so exceptional.

Yeap, I agree that it will be a fun ride. Even if the fun part dries out I will still watch it if the overall animation stays consistent. Took some screencaps....

Old 2006-10-20, 14:29   Link #5
Child_of_Sierra

Really cool BGM for when asuna transforms via pactio (I think it was used in ep01's opening). It created the perfect atmosphere to convey that contracts are special and integral in the overall plot of this version of negima.

I like the card design but battlewise the armor given is hardly decent protection is it? It looks good for cosplay but it does not seem to give any additional powers (as of this ep).

As for the ministra magi herself it sure was "baka" of her to be led away from negi...she was supposed to guard him right? The fact that Chachamaru went easy on her shows how useless it really was to partner with somebody not versed in combat.
Old 2006-10-20, 15:04   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Chach's motives are mixed from the beginning. She is attached to Evangeline but more as an often-ignored "conscience"... And I think it is only near the beginning of the time period of Negi that Evangeline is realizing this is much more than one of her earlier puppets.

Yeah, the armor for Asuna is picturesque (ceremonial?) but it'd had better be magical armor or she's toast
Old 2006-10-20, 18:34   Link #7
ordnance11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Chach's motives are mixed from the beginning. She is attached to Evangeline but more as an often-ignored "conscience"... And I think it is only near the beginning of the time period of Negi that Evangeline is realizing this is much more than one of her earlier puppets.

Yeah, the armor for Asuna is picturesque (ceremonial?) but it'd had better be magical armor or she's toast

Name me a maho shojo that had a functional suit of armor.

The only one that comes to mind recently was Saber's. And I had to wonder about her petticoat armor.
Old 2006-10-20, 18:42   Link #8
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Fate Testarossa^bardiche... Sonic form....???

Last edited by aeriolewinters; 2006-10-20 at 19:15.
Old 2006-10-21, 10:06   Link #9
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

The canoe and shoe throwing was just ownage!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2006-10-21, 12:31   Link #10
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
As for the ministra magi herself it sure was "baka" of her to be led away from negi...she was supposed to guard him right? The fact that Chachamaru went easy on her shows how useless it really was to partner with somebody not versed in combat.
First off, I believe that in the manga, Asuna also concentrated on Chachamaru after she Pactio'd with Negi. As for Pactioing with someone who isn't versed in combat, it's not useless, as hopefully the next few episodes will show (I can't get into full details in this thread).
Old 2006-10-21, 14:54   Link #11
Child_of_Sierra

True, but her concern for negi was the reason she got involved in the fight right?

She was tricked into forgetting her purpose by being led away from the boy she was supposed to protect this is most probably for comedic relief anyway but I do hope that her judgement in combat improves next time.

The situation was different in the NEGIMA! manga so I felt that her version there was more justified in going after chachamaru.

Baka rangers segment is turning out to be my favorite part of the show.
Makie just keeps getting harsh treatment week after week that I find myself looking forward to the next episode just to see what happens next. She even alive after what happened?
Old 2006-10-23, 22:54   Link #12
rankoDD
Single Synapse Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
The canoe and shoe throwing was just ownage!
The "Gyeh" noise that Eva makes when she sees Asuka picking up the canoe had me in stitches
Old 2006-10-25, 00:53   Link #13
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Sub is out!
Old 2006-10-25, 05:15   Link #14
Runningkid

hmmmm i found this a bit disapointing, due tot he fact that there werent any realy fighting....
Old 2006-10-25, 05:32   Link #15
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningkid View Post
hmmmm i found this a bit disapointing, due tot he fact that there werent any realy fighting....
Ya i have to agree, the action scenes sux, dragging the whole episode down. I still like the art and animation.
Old 2006-10-25, 06:00   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
certainly a different ending to the original but the conclusions are the same...i really liked the animation for the magic spells etc but like others have sed there wasnt really much fighting...
the comedy was nice and seeing asuna toss a boat up to eva i was left with my mouth gaping open
the armor suit was a nice touch from the original to but it kinda changed the mood to a mahou shoujo series still its nice to see a good difference from the original...and this time asuna kissed negi straight on the lips!!! :O

the baka rangers end was funny...kinda reminds me of the shimigami cups from bleach...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-25, 06:04   Link #17
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Good ep. Asuna really reminded me of Nono from Die Buster when she lifted the boat
Old 2006-10-25, 07:15   Link #18
Lotiman

Asuna is strong without pactio (the contract)!? How weird. Although the animation is better then the previous Mahou Sensei Negima but the previous is more funny and entertaining.
Old 2006-10-25, 09:27   Link #19
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad episode. Managed to fit in plenty of humour while still getting some fighting in. Throwing shoes and boats is a pretty unique strategy for fighting. But if it works why not. Asuna sure got a pretty big sword out of it, though she needs to try and not forget what she's supposed to be doing.

Still a good one and this series is really looking like it will be fun to watch.
Old 2006-10-25, 12:20   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 03 delivered the type of action i've been wanting to see from this series, and the music went perfectly. Just what i wanted~

The battle pretty much played out the same as the manga.. well, the major change of course not only to the arc, but also the story is the pactio battle form. The costume Asuna appeared in is the same as whats appeared in some of Ken's artwork, so i'm guessing we'll get to see the rest of the battle forms that also appear in his past work (posters/postcards etc) for the girls.