AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Is this sort "fishing" okay?
Yes. They are just animals... 13 33.33%
No. I don't think that is right. 26 66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-12, 17:16   Link #1
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Dolphin Massacre(warning: very graphic!)

I doubted with myself a few times before deciding to make this thread. I am afraid of offending any people, but I felt this was important to show, despite the fact that it's very very hard to watch and very graphic. At least to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UOGgUdNhVM

It really makes me sad to see stuff like this. I don't mind eating animals and killing them for food, but is there not limits to how we kill them?

What do you guys think?
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 17:33   Link #2
ImClueless
Rawr

Well the thing is dolphins are cute cuddly animals that make good poster boys for the animal rights activists. This is no different from the killing of cows and pigs for the steak or pork chop that you had last night. They claim this is inhumane, but what exactly would be a humane way of hunting dolphins? The death blow seemed to be a guy with a long knife and one thrust which is basically how cows and pigs are slaughtered too. I find it kind of hypocritical for people to condone one form of killing to put meat on their table and decry another's for the sample purpose. Unless you are a true blue vegetarian due to ethical issues, I don't think you have any business criticizing the eating habits of others.

As a continuation of my rant against what I consider as far left propaganda, if you want people to stop hunting/mining/logging you have got to provide viable alternatives. Most of this kind of activities are conducted by poor people or people living in third world nations. Its all nice and dandy to be sitting at Starbucks and sipping you lattes while discussing how "we" are destroying the environment, but for others it is a matter of putting food on the table or educating your children. Although I have to admit Japan doesn't really fit into this category.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 17:44   Link #3
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

I can't speak for Canada, but I don't think that it's how we slaughter and kill animals in Denmark. I believe(?) that we have laws, that says that its not okay for the animals to suffer.

With the increase of muslims in our country, alot of Muslims wanted Halal Slaughter, which for example is cutting a cows throat, and let it bleed to death.

I believe that in normal butcher houses, cows get shot in the head, and dies instantly. I don't believe that they get gutted or slowely sufforcate to death, or gets draged in trucks while they are still alive, for miles.

But maybe I am ignorant. I just think it's extreme. Eating dolphins - Fine. But ain't there a way to just kill them instantly without them feeling pain?
Old 2007-03-12, 17:58   Link #4
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
But maybe I am ignorant. I just think it's extreme. Eating dolphins - Fine. But ain't there a way to just kill them instantly without them feeling pain?
The problem here is a pretty obvious one: just how do you get a hold of the thing in the first place without making it suffer? If it's in a net, people cry about it suffering. Sick it around the spine with a gaff, it's suffering. Use some sort of uber fishing hook, it's suffering. You can't shoot it while it's in the water because bullets break up almost as soon as they hit the surface. Cows are already on land, making them accessible. Dolphins, on the other hand, are not only constantly submerged in water, but they swim way too fast to obtain by any practical means that don't inflict some kind of pain.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:11   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
fishing like that happens a lot ~ using spears, hooks and nets are natural...but the thing is that they should have just ended the dolphin's lives right after they took them out of the water instead of leaving them to suffer and die slowly ~ just a quick chop to the head is all that it takes to give them a painless death...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-03-12 at 19:04.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:14   Link #6
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
I believe that in normal butcher houses, cows get shot in the head, and dies instantly. I don't believe that they get gutted or slowely sufforcate to death, or gets draged in trucks while they are still alive, for miles.
Actually the cow/horse does not die instantly, it is merely stunned. They need to have the animal's heart beating so that the blood will drain.

As for suffocating, dolphins breath air and I would imagine the slaughterhouses to be right on the shore. Why would they drive them around for miles? The economics of it make it unfeasible. Although they could have just killed them on the boats which would have been better.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:45   Link #7
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Wow thats pretty jacked up, but than again look at the way that other things from the sea are caught and killed. There isnt really a difference between catching a fish and a dolphin. Say you're fishing on a charter boat and you want your fish cut up before you pull in. As soon as you pull a fish up usually the boat crew will gut it on the spot while its still living and they end up throwing a head and spine into the ocean thats still trying to breath and if they dont do that on the spot they throw it in a bag where it suffocates to death. Granted fish dont have the same brain capacity of a dolphin which is a highly intelligent species ( probably smarter than some people I know unfortunately). I guess the only real problem you could get from this is... dolphins arent exactly chicken and beef. There isnt a vast abundance of it and like said earlier they are poster child to people like green peace. And if they were part of a humans diet, what would be the so called "humane" way to kill it? A bullet to the head?

I sure Sea World would throw a fit if they saw this though lol... I can see it now their new dolphin exibit. Come watch the dolphin show! Echo does flips and all sorts of cool tricks, and to top it off after the performance you get to eat him! (ya thats kinda messed up)
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:48   Link #8
jedinat

One day soon teh dolfins will cum on to teh land with ther space suits and knife us in our beds. Cuz they like are smerter than us. Only 2nd to teh mice.

(can't watch the video cuz he doesn't have a youtube acct. and has no desire to make one)
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 20:47   Link #9
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
As a continuation of my rant against what I consider as far left propaganda
Whoa, being an asstivist ecologist and/or vegetarian doesn't automatically make one a closed-minded lefty. I'm sure true lefties would agree with me--the more people it can feed, the better. We already got too many problems in our hands to be worrying about animals. And I'd rather feel sick at soldiers or terrorists torturing civilians than feel sick about some dolphin which, if it saw me as food, would certainly not feel as compassionate.

PS: Have you ever seen how dolphins torture small seals before eating them? They toss 'em around and play with 'em as if they were some kind of beach ball. YouTube isn't loading for me right now, but as soon as it does, I'll post some video of it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 20:48   Link #10
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Maybe your right guys... I dont know.

I am not an animal activist, but I have always had more sympathy for animals more than suffering people. Particularly WSPA related stuff...

I don't know why. There is just something, uncomfortable about thinking that animals can not choose their own path. We are just the gods of their reasons to live. We decide their faith.
If we humans wanna kill each other in wars, then thats fine, but animals who can't really take a stand on anything...
I can't help that somehow, it will all have an impact... What comes around, goes aroung.

Anyway... Anyone remember that video where they showed the MCnugget chicken slaughter? that was kinda insane. I actually don't eat at McDonalds anymore, lol.
Old 2007-03-12, 20:53   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
If we humans wanna kill each other in wars, then thats fine
Have you ever heard about massacres of innocents? And what about raw recruits?

Old 2007-03-12, 21:06   Link #12
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
PS: Have you ever seen how dolphins torture small seals before eating them? They toss 'em around and play with 'em as if they were some kind of beach ball. YouTube isn't loading for me right now, but as soon as it does, I'll post some video of it.
I think you are confusing dolphins with killer whales. Orcas will toss around seals to teach their young how to go after them.
Old 2007-03-12, 21:14   Link #13
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

It's hard for me to give a fair opiniion when as we speak I'm eating a tuna-fish sandwich...I mean I really like tunafish, so I can't say I'm against what takes place for me to eat this tuna...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty View Post
I think you are confusing dolphins with killer whales. Orcas will toss around seals to teach their young how to go after them.
Orca ARE a species of dolphin...and they savagely eat seals...
Old 2007-03-12, 21:34   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Dolphin is a mamal its also highly evovled . Killing poultry is a diffrent thing than killing a highly intelligent being like Dolphin or Seals is unethical . Animal cruelty in all forms should stop . Everyone is titled to a merciful death if not what makes us diffrent from animals . Also we do hunt for game I dont even want to go there
Old 2007-03-12, 21:37   Link #15
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Die with dignity? Killed humanely?

Sounds like a paradox.

Pass me the Flipper sushi....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 21:50   Link #16
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Orca ARE a species of dolphin...and they savagely eat seals...
Ok you got me they are in the same species but when you think of dolphin you think of friggin flipper not shamu! When was the last time you saw a bottle nose dolphin beaching itself to rip a seal off the beach?

Anyways what type of dolphins are those anyway?
Old 2007-03-12, 21:57   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Dolphin is a mamal its also highly evovled . Killing poultry is a diffrent thing than killing a highly intelligent being like Dolphin or Seals is unethical . Animal cruelty in all forms should stop . Everyone is titled to a merciful death if not what makes us diffrent from animals . Also we do hunt for game I dont even want to go there
Humans are also highly evolved mammals and everyday people do dumb stuff that winds up getting them killed...For a dolphin it's running into a net...

So since chicken's are dumb you give a pass to cruelty?? In the jungle a chimpanzee is meal for another creature not as bright, but with the capabilities to kill it..A snake bite will kill a Gorilla, a Boa can capture and squeeze the life out of a supposed human predator..Dolphin's are indeed smart creatures, but they still simply aren't smart enuff to avoid the natural order of things (fortunatley//unfortunatley)...
Old 2007-03-12, 22:00   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
No. Dolphins do toss around and kill seals and other animals, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites...report13.shtml

http://www.shannondolphins.ie/content.asp?id=11

From the second link:

Quote:
. Dolphins in the Shannon estuary have been observed tossing salmon into the air, although this may be associated with playing, and groups of dolphins in the Shannon have also been observed circling salmon.
Yeah, nice little dolphins.

Quote:
Dolphin is a mamal its also highly evovled . Killing poultry is a diffrent thing than killing a highly intelligent being like Dolphin or Seals is unethical .
WHAT!? Yeah, tell me animals have feelings, too. Animals act by instinct. If YOU were its food, it would f*cking kill you on the spot, no second thoughts on how you might feel about it. They're not "smart", they're hungry and horny, too. And saying that killing poultry is different from killing dolphins violates so many rules of nature that I don't want to get started with it.

THE CHICKS!!! THINK ABOUT THE CHICKS!!!

Old 2007-03-12, 22:05   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty View Post
Ok you got me they are in the same species but when you think of dolphin you think of friggin flipper not shamu! When was the last time you saw a bottle nose dolphin beaching itself to rip a seal off the beach?

Anyways what type of dolphins are those anyway?

My only point was that killer whales are dolphins...As for seals they are fodder...They sit on a sea-bank knowing they'll die any minute...To hell with noticing an umpteen ton creature that labors about with a fin that breaks the water surface alerting their presence...Seals are overpoplated, that's why those guys in San Diego club the hell out of them...It's unfortunate but that's the life of fodder...

From wiki:
The Orca or Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) is the largest species of the oceanic dolphin family (Delphinidae). It is found in all the world's oceans, from the frigid Arctic and Antarctic regions to warm, tropical seas.
Old 2007-03-12, 22:07   Link #20
Knightmare213

I'm not able to watch the video itself, but I get the message already through others' posts.

However, if they are being killed for food, I wouldn't be surprised. As for of you who didn't know, dogs, cats and other highly rated animals in the cuddle-o-meter are being killed daily, if not frequently, for food.

Corn could not be any more wrong. This is an offensive and disturbing act for us to swallow. However, the sad thing of all is that we can't stop them. If we do, we would be suppressing the natives' ancient culture. Do we really want to do that? Do we want to stop them because we don't like them killing the cuddly Bottlenose dolphins? In other words, we don't really have the right to stop the peaceful (if you can call them that) people of Faroe Islanders (thanks to Wiki, I found the name of the people who kills for food). It's their culture to eat dolphins. However, if they had a way to kill the dolphins the most humane and pain-free way, they would.

And about the seals...the lovable and intelligent seals...

Did you know that in the Arctic region of Canada, about 3,000 seals are killed each year? In Nunavut, one of three territories in Canada, seals are killed and eaten as a delicacy. However, the seals are also killed to preserve the Arctic ecosystem. That's right. To preserve the ecosystem, not just for food. If you also didn't know, humans are part of the ecosystem. And sometimes, or all the time, the ecosystem is like a deck of stacked cards. You remove one card, the entire thing will fall down like nothing. So, to prevent that deck of stacked cards from falling on its ass, we have to prevent overpopulation of the seals. Because, if the seals overpopulate, they will over-consume the fish population before the fishes can reproduce. If that continued to happen, seals would run out of food, and eventually be extinct. So...we are killing the seals to preserve the existence. Sounds like an irony, dunnit?
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote