AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-04, 14:38   Link #1
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Angry Valve announces Left4Dead2, Gamers outraged

Yeah, it's slated for a November 17'th release date, and the only changes is it comes with one new campaign, some new characters, 10 new weapons and a few new infected. And the AI Director 2.0.

Is that worth $50? Hell no.

The Steam forums are in uproar over this, and Valve is getting a bunch of flak from a lot of online gamer sites, and from people still at E3.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47...nds-On-Preview

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-han...2-134770.phtml

Here's a list of what we are pissed at.

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they started working on L4D2 right after release
* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
* L4D2 is too colorful to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

Look at TF2 and all of the additional content they have released for it for free. With all they've put in it they could have released TF3 instead of FREE DLC. See what I'm getting at? If they can keep pumping out FREE DLC for TF2, they can do it for L4D by releasing the new campaigns as DLC. Same goes for the weapons, new infected, etc. Even if they only give us a new campaign every few months.

Valve is trying to pull an EA, and the majority are pissed at this. This is a battle Valve cannot win, and it will hurt them severely in the future I am afraid.
Old 2009-06-04, 14:57   Link #2
Emis
Niss
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Emis Send a message via MSN to Emis Send a message via Yahoo to Emis
I cant Believe Valve.....
Old 2009-06-04, 15:43   Link #3
CabooseJr
<Insert Comment Here>

Send a message via AIM to CabooseJr
I just don't understand why they would make a sequel of a game that is still doing so well still and not tease us about Episode Three.
Old 2009-06-04, 15:51   Link #4
Teapot

Send a message via MSN to Teapot
Because making a bucket load of free content is good for business, yes?

I don't think we can compare Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. Tf2 was in developement for almost a decade, they're not gonna throw all that hard work by making a sequel, that's why they constantly update it.

1 new campaign? Uh, all 5 of them are new
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 16:06   Link #5
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabooseJr View Post
I just don't understand why they would make a sequel of a game that is still doing so well still and not tease us about Episode Three.
That's what *really* irks me. We've been waiting a long time for this.

The delays to get E1 and E2 were both very long (E1's length made it a little disappointing), but the wait for E3 is easily the longest already.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 18:12   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agree that the content additions (expansion packs?) were sorely lacking in L4D... but I also see that the L4D2 is an almost complete overhaul internally...

Keep pressuring them and perhaps L4D owners might get a discount for purchase or an upgrade option? Valve sucker-punched themselves without a plan upfront to reduce a reaction that should have been intuitively obvious. Whatever it cost them to make it (sounds a bit like production went over budget) -- the market would be pissed that it wasn't offered as an upgrade to existing owners (say for $25/$30).

One thing I'll toss bricks at the angry mob over is:
Quote:
* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
I've seen them... they're just as good as the originals so I'm thinking a little "closet racism" here? I'd still like to be able to insert avatars (skins/models) of my choice like almost every other FPS allowed. Yeah, there's a few skins for L4D out there but frankly they suck (ooooh, new hoodie for Francis.... whee).

I like the New Orleans/Southern setting. What better place than the "land of voodoo mystery" for a zombie invasion. I'm sensing some "new york bias" here ...

I'm kind of surprised in that I figured they'd have a long steady income of producing campaign expansion packs set in various cities around the country or world with new characters in each one.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-04 at 18:30.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 20:32   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

I don't get it..

Valve is making a sequel to the game, why are the gamers outraged?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 20:59   Link #8
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

They're afraid that support for L4D1 is going to get cut, which I don't think will be the case. It's not using a new engine, so L4D 1 and 2 should be compatible with each other, much like how the Guild War games are independent but can add to each other.
Old 2009-06-04, 22:26   Link #9
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I don't get it..

Valve is making a sequel to the game, why are the gamers outraged?
Valve promised a bunch of free content for L4D, and now it's all coming out in a full-priced package just a year after the initial game.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 22:34   Link #10
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
They're afraid that support for L4D1 is going to get cut, which I don't think will be the case. It's not using a new engine, so L4D 1 and 2 should be compatible with each other, much like how the Guild War games are independent but can add to each other.
It's not just that. There are a multitude of reasons why many are upset by this. Hyperion has pointed out number of other reasons. It's way too soon for a sequel anyway. The first one was released back in November of last year; this one is scheduled for a November release of this year.

I'll probably end up buying it anyway but at the very least I'm gonna wait for a price drop if 50 dollars is actually the confirmed price. Either that or hope that Valve will pull a Valve and delay it so they fine tune polish it properly and work in some more changes for it so it can actually be worth that much.
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 22:42   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
F*** that, L4D itself wore thin very fast after the initial hype and the realization that there really were only going to be 4 maps for the 360 version. I mean it took them long enough to add in the other 2 maps for versus that I stopped caring about the game entirely. Talk about your flash in the pan. Just glad I never actually had to pay for it out of my own pocket.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 01:14   Link #12
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Yeah the amount of time it took them to get the Dead Air and Death Toll maps going in Versus was rediculous I know I quit playing quite awhile before that was implemented, but that's not to say it wasn't an extremely fun game. It just lacked options especially in versus. Campaign just isn't fun unless you have 3 other players and are playing on the toughest difficulty. I'm not even a "Player versus player" at heart and even I can agree versus was where the true fun of L4D was at, but you can only handle versus so long before you grow tired of only playing 2 maps. Imagine if you will...playing Team Fortress 2 for the first four months after its release with only 2 maps to choose from...2Fort and Dustbowl. And that's basically summing up L4D in versus. I'm at least hoping for some more variety in L4D2 this time around
Old 2009-06-05, 01:15   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Lesser mortals like me still can't handle Expert to save our lives.

To me, the charm of L4D isn't to play it day and night, but to get a bunch of friends into a shop, 4 of us seated together, screaming stuff as the campaign goes on.
Old 2009-06-05, 01:27   Link #14
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Expert wouldn't be so nasty if it wasn't for the friendly fire, I barely scraped out of it alive because of that, you just need a team that is not trigger-happy and know eachother and work well together

That's usually what dooms me either someone would accidenttally shoot me or I would drop someone at the absolute worst time.

I guess it depends on what your friends do prefer to play. Mine preferred versus so maybe that's why I was more into that part of the game
Old 2009-06-05, 01:31   Link #15
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Expert friendly fire is definitely not friendly for players who are trying to master a weapon or changing to another weapon for a different play style. as a shotgun user... yeah, in Expert, I need to be VERY careful.
Old 2009-06-05, 01:44   Link #16
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

(forgot to post in my L4D thread , well good job Hyperion )
I'm dissapointed .
Yeah , its unbelievable . But its true . Valve play with us .
First The L4D 1 was incomplete . And still incomplete . The sdk isn't fully released . And the promise for new map etc ..... they take their times . Instead of that , they released a L4D 2 (who is an alternative 1.1 ) and its less beautiful than the first ....
The one is better . The music are better . The character are better . so L4D 2 is very bad .
I won't pay 50$ for this shit . And what will happens for the first L4D ? dunno .
I still regret to have payed 50 euros for the first .
Need more DLC . I'm not enjoying the game as before . I'm still boring with the current map always playing this map . And the survival mode becomes boring too .

here a link for the boycott look :

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=82
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 01:58   Link #17
K. Yamato
Sae's Lover
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to K. Yamato
The main reason for the piss off too is because of how freaking early they made this, it's way too early for a sequel. Valve! Enough bs with the other games, get HL:EP 3 out!

Please visit my museum here at AnimeSuki ^^ Here
K. Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 03:30   Link #18
Jeysen Vorheez
Murdersaur Massacre

I look at it as they gotta make money somehow. I wish they would do more for L4D1 but on the bright side there is more zombie horde murdering goodness coming our way. They said that there is a lot of stuff left to be announced so I really don't think I'll mind paying 50 bucks for a new game that even came close to left 4 Dead. There are tons of people looking forward to it, especially those new to the series. So I guess those who boycott it will just miss out.
Jeysen Vorheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 03:57   Link #19
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*Doesn't get what the rage is about when Valve has said that they plan to add all the content and campaigns from L4D1 into L4D2 anyway*

*shrugs*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 04:02   Link #20
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That means those who bought L4D 1 got the short end of the stick.