AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-16, 09:41   Link #21
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Except that overall.... Making one is suffering.
Old 2013-02-16, 09:46   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'd be supportive of western-made animation emulating the general style and aesthetics of anime.

The Teen Titans cartoon of several years back was akin to this. So was Avatar the Last Airbender. It would be nice to see more shows in this vein.
Old 2013-02-16, 10:05   Link #23
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I've dabbed a bit here and there on that article - myself.

:3

After some thought, I've found myself focusing more on the animation styles themselves. With regards to story, that's irrelevant, because you can take any story and plug it into "anime". For example, the Marvel series - despite them not turning out all that great.

When it comes to anime, it is this section that I'd actually want to improve:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#V...haracteristics
I started it. Many others have come along with their contributions. But it's still lacking something.

In addition, I had once advocated "Avatar: the Last Airbender" as anime. I did that based on watching just a few minutes of it. I had convinced myself of Avatar being anime -- UNTIL -- I actually watched it. This series had scenery that could rival many anime. Some of the action scenes are also just as comparable. But, when it came time for the characters exchanging dialogue... this is where I changed my mind.

Per that notion -- Avatar did not feel like anime. Great great story though. It had a more "adult" theme too; to think, there was kissing! Oooooo

Oddly enough. This "feeling idea". When I watched the X-Men anime -- I didn't like the idea of that one "feeling Japanese", because the X-Men themselves are Americans. Yet, they behaved like the Japanese, when handling a crisis situation. It was fine adding in a Japanese mutant though..

As for Iron Man, Mr Stark remained a brash, perverted white-boy.
Just by looking at it, I knew that it wasn't one. But I do agree that it's the closest. Teen Titans overdid it.
Old 2013-02-16, 11:14   Link #24
RichardFromMarple

I've often wondered how anime the many shows animated in Japan (with a fairly convincing Anime "feel") but written in Europe (mostly Spain & France) should be regarded.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 11:40   Link #25
Kudryavka

Anime is animation is cartoons is アニメーション is アニメ.

If you really must make distinctions and are throwing a fit then call it "Japanese animation". And be done. In my opinion the word "anime" should not exist in the English language. It'd be like calling Japanese video games "geemu". Screw that.

That said, I consider animation commissioned and started in Japan as Japanese. Don't consider who does the grunt work, like Japanese doing inbetweening animation for American studios or Koreans doing Japanese animation work. If it is not initially made in Japan but has a healthy serving of Japanese animation flavor, then it is done in a Japanese style, but still that country's animation. And same goes for Japanese animation that imitates other country's animations, they have a different style but are still Japanese by definition of who created it.'

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a Japanese animation done in an American style.

Avatar the Last Airbender is an American animation done in a Japanese style.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an American animation, period. We ignore the fact that Toei (Japan) did much of its animation.

Ghost in the Shell is a Japanese animation, period. We ignore the fact that Dr Movie (South Korea) did much of its animation.

And also, styles are not exclusive to countries. Japanese style came from Japan, but anyone in the world can do it, even Japanese.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-16 at 12:03.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 11:47   Link #26
Utsuro no Hako

In terms of storytelling, I think the closest thing to anime in the US are the Liquid Television series MTV did in the early '90s, notably The Maxx and Aeon Flux -- Madhouse even hired the creator of Aeon Flux to work on Reign the Conqueror.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako; 2013-02-16 at 12:00.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 13:38   Link #27
LeoXiao
思想工作

IMO it's anime if the main demographic is Japanese.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 13:44   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Does this count?
Old 2013-02-16, 13:47   Link #29
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Does this count?
Was it made by a Japanese company? Then yes.

That Danny Choo is not Japanese has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 2013-02-16, 13:55   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Anime is animation is cartoons is アニメーション is アニメ.

If you really must make distinctions and are throwing a fit then call it "Japanese animation". And be done. In my opinion the word "anime" should not exist in the English language. It'd be like calling Japanese video games "geemu". Screw that.
The term "anime" basically means "Japanese animation". That's probably how 99% of anime fans use the term "anime".

"Anime" is much easier to write and say than "Japanese animation" is. So what's wrong with using "anime" as a convenient shorthand for "Japanese animation"?

The word "anime" is a very useful word, and it kind of sounds cool, imo.

But I agree that Mirai Millennium is anime. Danny Choo being its Director doesn't detract from that at all - Actually, it arguably adds to it, as Choo is obviously a hardcore anime fan.
Old 2013-02-16, 14:49   Link #31
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So what's wrong with using "anime" as a convenient shorthand for "Japanese animation"?
What's wrong is that using such a term for something that already exists in English language (animation) creates an imaginary rift between animation based on what country it's from. Such BS leads to "omg is it true anime?!?!" discussions like this, that often degenerate into sickeningly stupid country superiority contests (thankfully that does not seem to have happened here).

Look at other countries, do we see their animation as so "different", so "unique"? Why don't we have special words for Canadian animation, for French animation, for Korean animation? Why is "anime" so different from everyone else's animation?? It's not, and people should stop pretending it is.

Yes I agree that "anime" is easier to write, and without prior knowledge of the situation of the fan community I would say that characterizing different country's animation with words from their languages is absolutely fine and really cool. But unfortunately I know about the monkey poo throwing that using the term "anime" so much and no words for other countries inevitably causes.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-16 at 15:04.
Old 2013-02-16, 15:07   Link #32
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The term "anime" basically means "Japanese animation". That's probably how 99% of anime fans use the term "anime".

"Anime" is much easier to write and say than "Japanese animation" is. So what's wrong with using "anime" as a convenient shorthand for "Japanese animation"?

The word "anime" is a very useful word, and it kind of sounds cool, imo.

But I agree that Mirai Millennium is anime. Danny Choo being its Director doesn't detract from that at all - Actually, it arguably adds to it, as Choo is obviously a hardcore anime fan.
Nothing's really wrong with it. For Japanese people, the way Americans say: "It's anime, not cartoons" is: WTF they're the same thing.
Old 2013-02-16, 16:18   Link #33
Kudryavka

Quote:
Nothing's really wrong with it. For Japanese people, the way Americans say: "It's anime, not cartoons" is: WTF they're the same thing.
Yes, the word "anime" just comes directly from the word "animation", which lolol omg is what makes up a cartoon.

Anime is cartoons, they are not different!

Last edited by monir; 2013-02-16 at 16:45.
Old 2013-02-16, 19:26   Link #34
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

lol our answers would end up being the same anyway.

Me: Anime =/= cartoons (how to explain to Japan [which doesn't segregate their anime], that both are different? *shows up a blank paper*).
You: Not different.

And you could come look at it.

Last edited by bhl88; 2013-02-16 at 19:40.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 19:50   Link #35
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
What's wrong is that using such a term for something that already exists in English language (animation) creates an imaginary rift between animation based on what country it's from. Such BS leads to "omg is it true anime?!?!" discussions like this, that often degenerate into sickeningly stupid country superiority contests (thankfully that does not seem to have happened here).

Look at other countries, do we see their animation as so "different", so "unique"? Why don't we have special words for Canadian animation, for French animation, for Korean animation? Why is "anime" so different from everyone else's animation?? It's not, and people should stop pretending it is.
For the same exact reason why people make a distinction between Brittish comedy and American comedy, Greek Tragedy and modern tragedy or Hollywood movies and bollywood movies etc.

IMO there is more to it than just differences in animation styles between animes and american cartoons, but it would rather pointless to explain that to you seeing your last few posts.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 20:14   Link #36
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
For the same exact reason why people make a distinction between British comedy and American comedy, Greek Tragedy and modern tragedy or Hollywood movies and Bollywood movies etc.

IMO there is more to it than just differences in animation styles between anime and American cartoons, but it would rather pointless to explain that to you seeing your last few posts.
In Japan, people call Superman, Dexter's Lab and whatever else 'anime'.
In here, fans (not all) separate them (and no, fans [again, not all] don't want to lump ponies, coyotes, annoying sisters who blow up labs and superheroes with Nanoha, Haruhi, Robotech, etc. ).
Old 2013-02-16, 21:06   Link #37
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
For the same exact reason why people make a distinction between Brittish comedy and American comedy, Greek Tragedy and modern tragedy or Hollywood movies and bollywood movies etc.

IMO there is more to it than just differences in animation styles between animes and american cartoons, but it would rather pointless to explain that to you seeing your last few posts.
You misunderstand, I'm not even talking about stylistic differences or making a distinction. I acknowledged that there are differences, of course, between different styles of animation coming from different countries. Does that warrant a new name for said animation? Seeing how no other country gets the privilege of having its animation being called a special name, apparently not. There is nothing wrong with a new name alone, but the word "anime" has led to people acting like this:
Quote:
In here, fans (not all) separate them (and no, fans [again, not all] don't want to lump ponies, coyotes, annoying sisters who blow up labs and superheroes with Nanoha, Haruhi, Robotech, etc. ).
in a snooty way. And not for all countries either, only Japanese animation. Duh, there's differences between Japanese and other countries' animations. Are the differences large enough for some people to lose their mind when someone calls an anime a "cartoon"? No.

Please understand my posts before trying to debate about something I never said.
Old 2013-02-16, 21:20   Link #38
Kirarakim

Yes in Japan anime is used for all animation

But outside Japan, anime is a fan term for Japanese animation.

No one is saying because you are a fan of Japanese animation you can't also be a fan of animation from other countries but I am specifically a fan of animation from Japan so when I say I am an anime fan I do mean something very specific.

and why doesn't other countries get a specific name for their animation well for one thing no one said a special fan name can't be created for French animation, the fact that there isn't is more a reflection of the fans.

There is a huge community among fans of Japanese animation. Heck just the sheer volume of Japanese animation compared to other countries is also a factor. Is it any surprise that a special name developed for this.
Old 2013-02-16, 21:51   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Kudryavka, here's the thing - Most adult anime fans don't want to say to their non-anime fan friends that "I'm a hardcore cartoon fan". Like it or not, "cartoon" carries a certain connotation in the west. We don't have to like it, but we do have to live with it.

And saying "I'm a hardcore animation fan" is liable to get responses like "Oh? So you're into the Pixar movies then?" or people thinking you're a poser for using 'animation' instead of 'cartoon'.

But if you say "I'm an anime fan", your non-anime fan friends may well read that as being akin to you saying "I'm a fan of foreign films". They'll probably think that makes you eccentric, but hopefully in a neat sort of way. They might even think you're more "cultured" for it, lol.
Old 2013-02-16, 22:00   Link #40
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Actually I find one calling themselves an anime fan in the West amongst non-anime people tends to evoke one of two reactions more often than not (and these attitudes have barely changed over the last decade):

1. Oh, so you like Pokemon/Naurto/One Piece/DBZ?

2. Oh, so you like hentai...

Those are the two commonly held views, from my experience. There aren't that many willing to understand and far less that care.

Crispin Freeman once notably mentioned that a decade ago, you could mention recent titles and a good number of people in the West would know what they are, but today, mention recent titles and people are much less likely to know them. I generally find that to be true in the West. But on the flipside, back then was a weaker time for anime sales in Japan and now is their strongest, so no surprise.

Tags
is it anime