AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-24, 19:06   Link #1401
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That's not to excuse his attitude or his clouded judgment, but I would say that he should be pitied rather than hated. He definitely needed the wake-up call, even if it came at a huge price. Now that he doesn't have to act under the pretense of regaining an identity that was never his to begin with, and that he's no longer being fed lies designed only to manipulate his ego, he can actually discover who he really is. I guess that'll be the point of the rest of the show, more or less.
Beautiful post relentlessflame. I also second the pity over the hated statement. Sometimes, a lot of haters refuse to look beneath the surface of some characters because their hatred has clouded them. It's easier to hate a character than to understand them after all.

I'm avoiding this thread until the subs come out.

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 19:28   Link #1402
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

[QUOTE=ThoHell;2068985]Almost done DLING ep 09 now. Lets see if Luke will grow some.

Oh don't forget, Luke is almost an Adult (most of the people his age and younger have more common sense and maturity than him). It just seems like you're view Luke as a toddler, but he is far from it. There is no excuse for killing so many people, it's murder and in the U.S. that's jail time or death row. His master aimed the gun but he pulled the trigger without questioning when so many were questioning his teacher's actions. ARG, I can't go on anymore about ep 8, it's the past, time to watch ep 9!

Ok just watched 9

spoiler
Spoiler:

everyone is to blame as to what happen not just luke.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 20:33   Link #1403
NoLongerSane

I am amazed at how the anime is being paced. Thou I wished that there were certain parts that I wanted animated or expanded on ( Haircut scene and the part on where Jade talks about living safely), I am happy at the pace. As for the current episode, I was pleased at how Asche's background was covered.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-24, 21:08   Link #1404
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Nope, not at all. I do know that he has lacked a mature sense of self due to his upbringing, and my comments were a response to the mere statement that he's just seven, as if that's supposed to explain his lack of maturity. In other words I'm talking about how others have usually associated this with his actual age, when the very number is illusory or relative to other factors.

Perhaps there's some unintended misunderstanding from my previous posts. What I mean is, it's not because he is seven. It's because he's a replica who hasn't matured as intended. Citing mere age as a reason with regard to replicas cannot apply.

Hey, I like tsundere characters too, but even I can realize when the portrayal ends up being too bi-polar. For me Asch is like that somewhat, hence why I said it's rather one dimensional.
Well for me, it was not just the mere statement that he's just seven but that he is seven years old without the drive to become more mature or allowed the experiences to that end. I'd agree with you if he did not have the upbringing he did.

Asche is an interesting study but Jade is teh tsundere oji-san here Like I said I'd agree to a certain point if we just look at the individual scenes but together they form an interesting whole.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 01:26   Link #1405
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Well for me, it was not just the mere statement that he's just seven but that he is seven years old without the drive to become more mature or allowed the experiences to that end. I'd agree with you if he did not have the upbringing he did.
Not really. Putting it the other way around, if Luke had matured well then him being seven really wouldn't matter. That would still be his actual age, but not necessarily his level of maturity. Maturity and actual age are literally two different things to a replica like him.

There's a more concrete example demonstrating this, but we're not there yet in the anime. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demongod_04
Asche is an interesting study but Jade is teh tsundere oji-san here Like I said I'd agree to a certain point if we just look at the individual scenes but together they form an interesting whole.
I didn't say that he is one (though maybe you can argue that he is), just that I was trying to make an analogy.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:01   Link #1406
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Not really. Putting it the other way around, if Luke had matured well then him being seven really wouldn't matter. That would still be his actual age, but not necessarily his level of maturity. Maturity and actual age are literally two different things to a replica like him.

There's a more concrete example demonstrating this, but we're not there yet in the anime. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about.
If Luke had matured well he would have the maturity of being seven because that is his age. We are talking of maturing beyond the age of a person which takes some nurturing and is the result of the culmination of one's life experience which Luke sorely lacked. We are not disagreeing that people can mature at a faster rate, there are many people like that in real life but there are usually circumstances that induce such mental growth. The question is that while Luke was physically the perfect replica of Asche, he was not mentally which is apparent in the fact that other then how they look, they are very different people right up to the end. Luke only gained the experiences to mature faster after Akzeriuth, before that he was still very much a spoiled child that understood nothing of the world. He was denied the knowledge and experiences that is required to mature to his physical appearances' age.

Spoiler for very vague reference:
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:17   Link #1407
xris
Just call me Ojisan

While it is rather late, we have decided to create a new Tales of... sub-forum. This forum will include all the Namco anime and games threads currently spread over several forums (mostly from the Fansubbed and Games forums) and group them together in the new forum.

Please continue the anime discussion in the appropriate Tales of the Abyss Episode Discussion threads and only this this thread for more generic discussion
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:52   Link #1408
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Wow...this like like a dream come true

I seriously didn't expect it myself but it's a good thing that has happened ^^'
I better hurry up with the entry :/

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:57   Link #1409
yozaku
Always Idle

yeah at last its has subforum
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:59   Link #1410
Scarlett_Rain55

How are you guys watching episode 9? Its not even out...
Scarlett_Rain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 12:02   Link #1411
yozaku
Always Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett_Rain55 View Post
How are you guys watching episode 9? Its not even out...
its out

raw of course
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 14:08   Link #1412
Mystearika

cool it have gotten a subforum
Old 2008-11-25, 14:46   Link #1413
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I knew this was coming. It took a while, but it's here. That makes all the series I'm watching this season with their own sub forum except Tytania.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 15:44   Link #1414
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Wow...this like like a dream come true

I seriously didn't expect it myself but it's a good thing that has happened ^^'
I better hurry up with the entry :/

Spoiler:
Yeah a little surprised about it myself. Guess with the mass of Tales stuff thats out there to discuss getting a subforum isn't too big a shock. I'm all for it anyways .
Old 2008-11-25, 17:09   Link #1415
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
If Luke had matured well he would have the maturity of being seven because that is his age. We are talking of maturing beyond the age of a person which takes some nurturing and is the result of the culmination of one's life experience which Luke sorely lacked.
No, even beyond that. His maturity cannot completely be compared to a seven year old due to the nature of his (soon to be) experiences themselves. The fall of Akzeriuth is his chance to become a young man in the eyes of others.

Since you mentioned a spoiler, I might as well say what I really wanted to say.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-11-29 at 19:43. Reason: Removed future event spoiler -- not allowed!
Old 2008-11-25, 18:01   Link #1416
Shadow Kira01

I feel kinda sorry for Asch. He was born in nobility, yet everything was stripped from him and he was placed in a dangerous position, where he had to fight to survive. In the end, he earned the title "Asch the Bloody" as one of the six God-Generals. On the other hand, since he is the real Luke von Fabre, does that mean he is the one mentioned in Yulia's score then? If so, won't he replace replica Luke since Asch is the only one who can fulfill the role as inscribed in Yulia's score? Once I finish my few current ps2 games, I am going straight ahead to play "Tales of the Abyss", the story interests me.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 18:07   Link #1417
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
On the other hand, since he is the real Luke von Fabre, does that mean he is the one mentioned in Yulia's score then? If so, won't he replace replica Luke since Asch is the only one who can fulfill the role as inscribed in Yulia's score?
Yes on the first part, which makes it the other way around for the second. Luke was created as a replacement to Asch. In a way, Luke's existence is a blessing in disguise for him, since that would mean that Asch is supposed to destroy Azeriuth, which is one of the requirements of the Score for Kimlasca's prosperity.

At this point, the Score is already messed up.

Funny thing is, one would expect Ion to know what the Score says about the fall of Akzeriuth, and yet he opens all those Sephiroth for the God-Generals anyway.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-11-25 at 18:20.
Old 2008-11-25, 19:18   Link #1418
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Spoiler:

I'll watch episode 9 tomorrow, but i'm expecting for scenes that will make me cry(asch and all).

Nabiki Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 02:42   Link #1419
uis

Finally this series get subforum congrat all...
*Anyway ep 9 nice... *

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 04:55   Link #1420
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

<removed future event spoiler quote ~rf>

Spoiler for Ion:

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-11-29 at 19:47. Reason: Future event spoilers are not allowed!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy