AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-19, 12:10   Link #4001
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hadn't heard of it.... but I have to say I wouldn't put too much stock in it (and I'd be wary of any company that used it for hiring )

I might think more of it if the allowed answers were a bigger range and the questions didn't raise more questions. Half the questions lacked enough information to form a quick or easy answer.

More questionable is that it scored me Primary=artistic and secondary=social. Seriously offbase analysis ... considering most of my life has been happily engaged in science and engineering. The big problem with the questions are -- I would mark "like" for activities that involved solving problems. I like to solve problems, its why I do science and engineering. The test skewed "problem solving" off into occupational areas I have zero interest in (social work, movie production, etc).
Old 2010-07-19, 13:16   Link #4002
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Is this even accurate in the first place?
Lets see.
Spoiler for Test Results:
As you can see it labeled me as both Conventional and Artistic. Going by their description I'm apparently some kind of crazy "very normal" person that both hates and likes rules. From what I can tell this must have been written by someone who spent too much time watching the Discovery channel and AnimalPlanet. All the questions seem to be very broad stroke and narrow minded. As far as I'm concerned the test is random drivel.
Old 2010-07-19, 14:59   Link #4003
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I hadn't heard of it.... but I have to say I wouldn't put too much stock in it (and I'd be wary of any company that used it for hiring )

I might think more of it if the allowed answers were a bigger range and the questions didn't raise more questions. Half the questions lacked enough information to form a quick or easy answer.

More questionable is that it scored me Primary=artistic and secondary=social. Seriously offbase analysis ... considering most of my life has been happily engaged in science and engineering. The big problem with the questions are -- I would mark "like" for activities that involved solving problems. I like to solve problems, its why I do science and engineering. The test skewed "problem solving" off into occupational areas I have zero interest in (social work, movie production, etc).
Funny that a number of career guidance books are written with this inside. Maybe I should stick to reading the Economics / Finance and Science sections after all.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 16:22   Link #4004
rvhsl

please please somebody tell me i have just finished watching the anime called "claymore" but i am not sure whether it has a second series or not because the last episode i watched was the final but it seemed to me that things remained hanging up in the air. If anyone knows please tell me so that i can find and watch it to the end.
rvhsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 17:25   Link #4005
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhsl View Post
please please somebody tell me i have just finished watching the anime called "claymore" but i am not sure whether it has a second series or not because the last episode i watched was the final but it seemed to me that things remained hanging up in the air. If anyone knows please tell me so that i can find and watch it to the end.
Claymore has 26 episodes, no second series.
Sometimes anime series when based on manga series have an open ending with which they try and persuade the reader to continue reading the manga (cause the anime ended but the manga still continues, they persuade you to read on in the comics what happens next).
Some receive an adjusted ending which is not in the manga, but for a series as Claymore the manga continues where as the anime has ended.
More or less that way of making anime makes me think it is nothing more but a long, long, long commercial to buy the manga
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:15   Link #4006
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Statistics question:

Why does the sign test omit tied scores?
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 17:23   Link #4007
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Statistics question:

Why does the sign test omit tied scores?
First chapter of probability : because tied scores do not dictate any outcomes. Since the sign test is used to determine yes/no occurences only (for any basic statistical method for that matter), it omits tied scores.

To calculate tied scores, use multi-value logic (like fuzzy) instead of probabilistic logic. Tied scores are considered multi-value as there is more than one truth/lie value. On the other hand, it might not work since tied scores could also mean zero value - there is neither true nor false in the definition.

Question : Does importing pneumatic nailguns count as arms trafficking?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 21:57   Link #4008
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Okay, so, I am studying Japanese and French in my spare time for my own edification, but I'm thinking I might pick up a third one. What I'm wondering is if anyone has recommendations for languages that sound pleasing.

Keep in mind that I already have Latin firmly in hand, and having studied German have no wish to delve into it to that extent. I know some Spanish, but pursuing it to fluency is up for consideration.

So what else can people recommend to me?
Old 2010-07-20, 22:02   Link #4009
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Okay, so, I am studying Japanese and French in my spare time for my own edification, but I'm thinking I might pick up a third one. What I'm wondering is if anyone has recommendations for languages that sound pleasing.

Keep in mind that I already have Latin firmly in hand, and having studied German have no wish to delve into it to that extent. I know some Spanish, but pursuing it to fluency is up for consideration.

Mandarin. English may be slowly dominating but you'd be surprised how many Chinese you'll find in the most unexpected of places.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 22:18   Link #4010
FateAnomaly

Wow you sure like to study languages.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 04:17   Link #4011
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Mandarin. English may be slowly dominating but you'd be surprised how many Chinese you'll find in the most unexpected of places.
For a similar reason, learning Spanish to fluency would be worth the effort. It's in widespread use.

Also, if you have a girlfriend, I recommend it for dirty talk.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 21:29   Link #4012
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Wow you sure like to study languages.
Well, I find that there's an inherent beauty in the way languages are constructed, and I suppose it is a reaffirming thing to see that despite our many conflicts, human beings can cooperate so extensively as to create so many functional solutions to the problem of communication.

So I'm hearing Spanish and Mandarin. Any other recommendations? Remember that I'm mainly looking to hear about languages that you find pleasing to listen to. Practicality is certainly a bonus, but first and foremost I want something that feels and sounds good coming off the tongue.
Old 2010-07-22, 02:39   Link #4013
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

did anyone else hear that onemanga is closing down or is this plain silly?

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 02:42   Link #4014
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Their main page says they'll be closing in a week's time, which sucks because I've been using the site for a long time.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 02:46   Link #4015
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

alright, so it is closing. And i agree as a long time user, of Onemanga ,as well this sucks

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 03:38   Link #4016
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
did anyone else hear that onemanga is closing down or is this plain silly?
The manga sites are being discussed in the manga subforum in a sticky thread if you want more information about events surrounding the various scanlation sites. I suspect this new stance from manga companies will only succeed if they provide better synchronization of english translation releases than they have. Otherwise, people will simply continue to scanlate and release via other internet protocols -- people want to read a manga within a reasonable time from its japanese release, not years later. People don't want to invest in a manga series only to have a jackass company like T*ky*p*p drop it into limbo with no explanation (e.g. ARIA, T. Moon Phase). One of the worst things in Japanese culture is to be considered unreliable, so certain US/western manga distributors should be on notice that this new game only works if they perform.
Old 2010-07-23, 08:06   Link #4017
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Well, I find that there's an inherent beauty in the way languages are constructed, and I suppose it is a reaffirming thing to see that despite our many conflicts, human beings can cooperate so extensively as to create so many functional solutions to the problem of communication.

So I'm hearing Spanish and Mandarin. Any other recommendations? Remember that I'm mainly looking to hear about languages that you find pleasing to listen to. Practicality is certainly a bonus, but first and foremost I want something that feels and sounds good coming off the tongue.
I don't want to be biased, but considering you have some Spanish and French in there, I think you should complete the circle and study Italian. Idk about me but many people I know love to hear it and always ask me to speak Italian even though they don't understand it for some reason.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 21:39   Link #4018
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

So time for a rather odd question on cosplaying, I am wondering why is that a girl cosplaying a male character is so generally accepted, while the guy cosplaying a female character isn't?

Also I mean ignoring the awful ones that are so very wrong for reasons besides gender thing, you know the ones xD.

Edit: Made this post before I saw this in silly news, so maybe it's just non-japan then?
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-07-23 at 22:09.
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 23:58   Link #4019
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
So time for a rather odd question on cosplaying, I am wondering why is that a girl cosplaying a male character is so generally accepted, while the guy cosplaying a female character isn't?

Also I mean ignoring the awful ones that are so very wrong for reasons besides gender thing, you know the ones xD.

Edit: Made this post before I saw this in silly news, so maybe it's just non-japan then?
Same reason why masculine girls are simply seen as "tomboyish", while feminine guys are seen as "Ho No!" "He is GAY" "Extricate that mess from our society!" "No room for you GAY", regardless of his true sexual orientation. We accept women trying to emulate men, the stronger and better gender. Women are weak by nature, so men emulating women are perceived as weak and soft, not worthy of being men who are supposed to set examples for their women. Remember that this playing stage is being judged by men.

btw I highly doubt that this thinking is absent from Japan, in response to the post you referenced.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 21:54   Link #4020
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Same reason why masculine girls are simply seen as "tomboyish", while feminine guys are seen as "Ho No!" "He is GAY" "Extricate that mess from our society!" "No room for you GAY", regardless of his true sexual orientation. We accept women trying to emulate men, the stronger and better gender. Women are weak by nature, so men emulating women are perceived as weak and soft, not worthy of being men who are supposed to set examples for their women. Remember that this playing stage is being judged by men.

btw I highly doubt that this thinking is absent from Japan, in response to the post you referenced.
I thought its because most guys cosplaying girls are a blight on the eyes while girls cosplaying guys are still not too bad.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious