AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-07, 15:04   Link #61
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Well, given that there's apparently a difference in belief on what's said there, can someone post what the common scanlation translation for that page is? And maybe the original Japanese as well?

Edit: Side note - After the little speech, Clare seems to completely lose it, desperately wanting to kill Priscilla. In either take (Priscilla only ever spared one girl or Priscilla never killed any girls), I'm having a hard time linking the thought process that may provoke that reaction. Anyone have any thoughts on what the 'realization' that Clare had was at that point?

Last edited by Kinematics; 2007-06-07 at 15:17.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 15:27   Link #62
HinaThePrince

I can PM you the translation/Japanese if you'd like, I tried posting it here and got warned. \:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Edit: Side note - After the little speech, Clare seems to completely lose it, desperately wanting to kill Priscilla. In either take (Priscilla only ever spared one girl or Priscilla never killed any girls), I'm having a hard time linking the thought process that may provoke that reaction. Anyone have any thoughts on what the 'realization' that Clare had was at that point?
It was because she realized that Riful was talking about Prissyface, and now Clare knew where she is, probably.
HinaThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 15:49   Link #63
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Ah, of course, the delayed realization. As a reader I can guess who Riful was referring to from the first line mentioned, but for Clare it might take her a minute to realize who was meant.

And sure, a PM would be fine. Disappointed that the rules don't allow for a public comparative analysis of a one-page extract.
Old 2007-06-07, 16:33   Link #64
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

While there is ambiguity in the original wording (as provided in PM), I'll add one extra note: Ophelia survived Priscilla's rampages. If there was "only one girl" who was spared, then by strict logic Ophelia should have been killed.

Of course it could theoretically be that Ophelia is the one she refers to, and no one actually knew about Clare, but that seems unlikely from a storytelling perspective.

Therefore I'm going to go with Viz's version that all young girls were spared. Makes a bit more sense that there's some sort of mental hangup in Priscilla herself than that there's some magical "don't eat me" field around chibi-Clare.
Old 2007-06-07, 16:41   Link #65
Mandrake

nobody but the organisation might have known about the final confrontation between teresa and priscilla. It was Riful who said it, how would she know of the fight? She probably only knew of the rampages that commenced AFTER piscilla awakenned.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 23:36   Link #66
HinaThePrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
While there is ambiguity in the original wording (as provided in PM), I'll add one extra note: Ophelia survived Priscilla's rampages. If there was "only one girl" who was spared, then by strict logic Ophelia should have been killed.

Of course it could theoretically be that Ophelia is the one she refers to, and no one actually knew about Clare, but that seems unlikely from a storytelling perspective.

Therefore I'm going to go with Viz's version that all young girls were spared. Makes a bit more sense that there's some sort of mental hangup in Priscilla herself than that there's some magical "don't eat me" field around chibi-Clare.
Riful said "that little girl[/s] only had not one scratch". Which means she can't be referring to Ophelia for two reasons:

1) Ophelia is not a little girl, she's a young woman.
2) Ophelia was beaten nearly to death, I wouldn't call that "not one scratch". Perhaps Prissyface left her alone when she saw she's about to awaken?
Old 2007-06-08, 02:46   Link #67
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
1) Ophelia is not a little girl, she's a young woman.
I'm referring to the flashback/memories she has of when Priscilla killed her brother; she seemed to be a little girl then.

Quote:
2) Ophelia was beaten nearly to death, I wouldn't call that "not one scratch".
Are you sure about that? I lent vol 8 to a friend tonight, but I don't recall anything like that. Checked what was shown in vol 7 and don't see anything that would indicate that either.

Quote:
Perhaps Prissyface left her alone when she saw she's about to awaken?
Are we talking about the same time period? Ophelia, as a young girl, in a village that Priscilla tore apart during the period she first awakened, looong before Ophelia was at any risk of awakening herself.
Old 2007-06-08, 06:25   Link #68
Shinen
深淵の者

Edit: now the posts don't get deleted so the discussion seems to be alright? Then to clear this up, after taking a look at the japanese text and wikipedia, it is clearly a general statement. There is at least no "only one little girl" or "only that little girl" in the original text and while theoretically it can mean "only little girl/s", it isn't explicit at all and you'd normally understand it as "only little girls in general" . And then wikipedia also states "girls" in general.

What do you think is the reason behind that behavior? If I recall correctly Priscilla herself was a little child when her family got killed, therefore maybe inconsciously she won't kill other little girls. If she's really evil she maybe wants them to feel the same pain as she did? But there should be quite a few other Claymores wanting to seek revenge on Priscilla ^^;

Last edited by Shinen; 2007-06-08 at 08:57.
Shinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 06:28   Link #69
HinaThePrince

Ahh, right! It's been a while since I read that part, so somehow I ended up thinking that Prissyface caused Ophelia to awaken. Pardon my senility. -bow-
Old 2007-06-08, 13:39   Link #70
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

After the last episode (10) I was starting to wonder does any of you fellow-manga readers regret the fact that they had read the Claymore manga already before the anime aired?(I was on vol 6 in jan 2007)

I am actually kinda envious of the anime-only viewers because they are kept in suspense by every plot twist and agonising cliff-hangers they are shown every week. While I as an manga reader have to restrain myself constantly from trying to compare the anime with the manga version.

Which strangely lessens my enjoyement of the anime slightly. Which is of course absurd unlogically even. Since I fully acknowledge that this anime is one of the very best anime I have ever seen.

Does any of you recognise this bad habit of overly comparing the manga vs the anime? Or are you all better at keeping both entertainments seperately?
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 13:49   Link #71
migs.
Uninspired

Send a message via MSN to migs. Send a message via Yahoo to migs.
^
It's not really a bad habit for me, I'm entertained at reading manga and watching animes manga = advance, anime = with sounds and other stuffs
migs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 14:20   Link #72
Claymore_Obsessed

I'm happy I am a manga reader because I fully enjoyed this suspance back in the days (and also now, for what will happen next?), so I can't complain ^^

In Claymore manga this is expecially true because there is much suspence while browsing the pages (shock panels, full pages, etc).

In general, I like manga more the anime version (I can re-read panels several times, can read faster or slower, can choose my own soundtrack, etc)

However, the anime version is excellent and very faithful, so I enjoy it as if I were re-reading the manga one more time, plus extra features being color and wonderful voice actors. ^^
Old 2007-06-08, 14:50   Link #73
Mandrake

I take the manga and anime as one entity, I'm not seperating the two..or you get that conflict of interest in your mind XD
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 01:01   Link #74
JaeEleutheria
Hoshi

Send a message via AIM to JaeEleutheria Send a message via MSN to JaeEleutheria
Personally I'm very glad I read the manga first. If I hadn't I wouldn't have found the anime as quickly. I don't regret it at all, it actually makes me look forward to the next episode more. I enjoy seeing how the story goes from one genre (manga/book) to another (anime/movie) and I find following the action a little easier to comprehend in the anime, but I also find the story fascinating.

Sometimes I wonder if the anime will catch up and surpass Viz's publications, even though the publications are going pretty fast as it is. I think it's possible.
JaeEleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 10:55   Link #75
Shinen
深淵の者

I watched the anime first and then picked up the manga afterwards. And I actually liked the manga a lot more (so far, of course), the art in the anime doesn't look as good, especially the faces of the girls and the fights seem a bit lacking. So, I only regret that I didn't pick up the manga much sooner

Btw, could you tell me which spelling they chose in the English version for the members of the organization (only 3 so far I think)? Thank you
Old 2007-06-09, 11:58   Link #76
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinen View Post

Btw, could you tell me which spelling they chose in the English version for the members of the organization (only 3 so far I think)? Thank you
Well according to the VIZ volumes its as following :

1. Clares contact = Rubel

2. Teresa's contact = Orsay

3. Galatea's contact = Ermita

The volumes I got are the US/CAN versions so they are as VIZ tranlated the manga. Of course my own japanese is non-existent so I don't know if they translated it correct.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 12:09   Link #77
SimplyEd
Claytard

They're about as correct as a transition from katakana can get.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 12:35   Link #78
Shinen
深淵の者

Thanks a lot dutchman.

Only "Rubel" bothers me a bit, since the Katakana of his name are "Ruvuru" ルヴル and not "Ruburu" ルブル or even "Ruberu" ルベル. I don't really understand why they changed it, maybe because of the pronounciation. Or does Rubel have some meaning in English?

The others seem perfectly fine though, they make sense considering the (apparent) origin of their names as well.
Old 2007-06-09, 13:57   Link #79
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, here's their names in japanese

ルヴル Ruvuru/Ruburu
オルセ Oruse
エルミタ Erumita

I have no idea about the licensed english versions names or why they were chosen.
Names are usually a matter of great debates.
The way from Ruvuru to Rubel is actually not that big, especially when you speak it fast.
This can be even more daunting when you translate from japanese to a different language, apart from english. It could, for example, be a common word borrowed from french, or german or spanish..you get the point.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 14:12   Link #80
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Rubel
His name is actually derived from the Louvre Museum (ルーヴル Rūvuru in Katakana). Apparently all the members of the organization are named after popular art museums around the world.

Orsay
He is named after the Musée d'Orsay (オルセー Orusē in Katakana).

Ermita
His name is derived from the Hermitage Museum (エルミタージュ Erumitāju in Katakana).
So it says in this Wikipedia article.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote