AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-11-24, 00:35   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Visiting somewhere other than Japan

In contrast to going to the "Visiting Japan" thread, here's one for the rest of the people.
(READ: If you want to visit Japan, use the Visiting Japan thread)

Why did I create it?

Animesuki is a great place for everyone in the world to gather around and talk about anime. Why not create a thread for people who want to go to other countries then?

Example:

Animesuki member A lives in Greece.
Animesuki member B lives in the USA and wants to go to Greece.
Animesuki member A gives him pointers about Greece, and perhaps might be willing to provide him with local info on cheap hotels and the like that most people outside of Greece won't know about. Or, if member A is generous enough, he may even invite member A to crash at his joint to save traveling costs.

So, carry on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several places I would love to go visited places in red:

Athens, Greece Visited October 2007

Stayed near Syntagma Square, beautiful place though I was surprised how many racist youths are in Greece... Being able to see the Parthenon up close fulfilled my dreams ever since I fell in love with Saint Seiya as a little kid.

Went on a cruise out of Piraeus to Mykonos, Kusadasi (Turkey), Patmos, Heraklion, and Thira/Santorini. I especially loved the caldera view from Thira!!

I was supposed to go back to Mykonos on an airplane out of Athens, but a certain emergency prevented that from happening... I aim to get revenge and visit Mykonos and Thira/Santorini again, this time with my ever-non-existing fiancee.... [cries in corner]

Prague, Czech Republic Visited March 2008

Transited through here over-night while I was on a business trip. Since I had no intention of stay/sleeping at the airport, I went out of Praha Airport and bought a 24 day pass good for the bus and the Metro.

Checked out the cool Astronomical Clock in Old Town Prague, must've looked better if it were during the day. As luck would have it, there was a Smetana/Dvorak classical concert playing at the National Theatre so I bought it at the stand a treated myself to listening to Smetana's Ma Vlast and Dvorak's New World, two Czech musical composers being played in Prague by the Prague Royal Philharmonic!!! What a fantastic evening!

Went back to Old Town square, ate some nice Prague Ham, saw the Charles Bridge and the lightened up Prague Castle.

There, I befriended a group of American college students who snuck me into the hostel they were staying at. My first hostel experience, awkward, but interesting. Spent the night there with those students. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to be there!! www

After taking a short power sleep, I woke up at 5AM and took the tram to Mustek Metro station all the way to the end, rode on the bus all the way back to Praha Airport for my flight back home.

People think I'm crazy for doing such a thing, but I'd do it again if I had the chance! Hell yes, especially if it's Prague!

Cairo, Egypt (see the Sphinx and the Pyramids)
Cancun, Mexico (see Chichen Itza)
Barcelona, Spain (Sagrada Familia)
Stockholm, Sweden (I heard Japanese men are considered sexy there...might even fulfill my dreams of getting a blonde Swedish wife!)
Ljubljana, Slovenia (I've seen pictures of it at my local travel agency, and they were breathtaking!)
Lima, Peru (and Cuzco. One obvious reason: Macchu Picchu)

Last edited by kj1980; 2009-01-10 at 03:26.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 07:22   Link #2
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

I live in Portugal, near Lisbon. I also have this city where I love to spend my holidays: Tavira, in Algarve, in southern Portugal, famous for its beaches and hot weather in the summer and also for its gastronomy. For some reason, if I where to draw a manga, my scenario would be in Tavira.

I wouldn't mind to visit most countries in Europe, the next on my list might be France or Germany. I've already been to Spain (duh ), and England. London is an awesome city to visit, I strongly recomend it!

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2006-11-26 at 18:37.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 07:41   Link #3
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Hello!

I live in a City named Molde in Norway.
it looks like this from the place i work (when the weather is nice)
http://ventunoventi.altervista.org/immagini/Molde.jpg

anyway, I really love to travel.
I have been too about 20-25 Greek Islands and also on the mainland.
have been in Turkey, Greece, Croatia (really nice) , Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Spain and Tunis (in Africa)

The places I really want to travel too is: USA, Cuba, Thailand, New Zealand, Japan, China, France and Iceland.

Man isn't the world Great
Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 15:38   Link #4
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Hello.

I live in Liverpool, UK. Don't come here. It is gay.

I want to visit Singapore. Who will let me sleep in their bed?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 16:14   Link #5
mit7059

Well I'm in Edinburgh Scotland right now visit my sister who's attending the University of Edinburgh, it's rainy and gets dark really quickly but all in all its a pretty nice city. I'll be leaving for home on monday and returning to my normal abode of Detroit Michigan, and if you're ever going to go on vacation to Detroit I would suggest you seek professional help.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 16:18   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Well I'm in Edinburgh Scotland right now visit my sister who's attending the University of Edinburgh, it's rainy and gets dark really quickly but all in all its a pretty nice city. I'll be leaving for home on monday and returning to my normal abode of Detroit Michigan, and if you're ever going to go on vacation to Detroit I would suggest you seek professional help.
Well, Detroit isn't much a city I would want to visit, none other than passing through it as a major Northwest Airlines hub... And the last time I went through there, the airport personnel were down right obnoxious!!! Must be the sagging US automobile industry has gotten on the nerves of everyone working there...

But as for Scotland, count me in the next time you are going!
Old 2006-11-24, 19:43   Link #7
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Prague certanly is a great city to have fun in (at least I always had), although there are scary places with run down apartment blocks too in contrast to the old city.

As for germany, my favorite place has always been Rothenburg ob der Tauber. A medieval style town, complete with old houses, city wall, museums with old knight stuff, all kinds of fortifications. (well see the link)
They`re also doing a medieval festival once every year I think, where many people dress up in medieval costumes ("real ones"), great to watch.

My grandmother was born there, so when I was a child, we visited the town sometimes. For children, running around in the city wall and fortifications (you can enter most of them) is the best.

On a sidenote, its also the place they took as Hazukis hometown in Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase (well, at least they obviously used postcards of it ).
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 02:13   Link #8
ainin
Hello...

Hello! I'm from Malaysia. It is a country of many different cultures.
ainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 10:17   Link #9
General_Norris
Ouendan member

If you would want to go to Spain I recommend you going to Madrid instead of going to Barcelona. It is overall a more interesting town as Barcelona's museums are far less interesting and you can easily go to the beach one day cheaply by taking the train to Valenia from Madrid (Around three hours time). And the Sagrada Familia is not as interesting as it may seem (I found it dissapointing) and probably you'll find it full of cranes and support strcutures since it is still being built. Note that this is my opinion and if you really like Gaudí go ahead but Velazquez and Picasso beat him every day.

Finding acomodation in Madrid should be easy, I recommend a package that includes either Breakfast-dinner or Breakfast-lunch because you'll want to go to restaurants since going to Spain and not eating it's food is a crime. The localitation of the hotel is meangiless. There are very few things that all the madrileños agree on and one of them is that the metro transport is excellent. It has the best ratio Population/Stations of all the world so that basically sums up. And it has been rebuild and new trains are being used so I can guaranteee an extraordinary service (Except for the really, really old stations that are still narrow but nothing can be done)
I bet you'll never need to take a Taxi or a private car to go where you need. After landing just take the metro. If you want to go to Toledo or Alcalá de Henares take the train. If it is not well comunicated it was not a good place to go in the first place.

So after your 14 hours flight the first thing you should do is take the metro (Barajas) and go to your hotel. Be sure to buy a tourist ticket for one week that allows you to use it as many times as you choose. There are combos for bus too but just stick to the metro as you'll probably not need it.

If you arrived during the morning and you are not tired you'll probably eat at the hotel and have all the afternoon free. You would not want to be sat for any more time so a walk for the center of Madrid would be a wiz choice. I recommend going by metro to the famous Plaza del Sol (Sol), in the very middle of Madrid. Go down La calle Mayor. This part of the town is known as El Madrid de los Austrias (Austrias' Madrid, the Austrias were a very important monarchy that reigned in the Spanish Empire and in Austria, hence the name (They were also known as the Habsburg)). This part of Madrid has a Barroque/Neoclassical stile and is perhaps one of the most beautiful parts of the town. Be careful so you don’t miss the Plaza Mayor, ask a pedestrian if you want to be sure.

Down the same street you’ll find the Almudena Chatedral. It has gothic style and is the biggest chatredal in Madrid and between the biggest of Spain. A must see for sure.

Spoiler for Catedral de la Almudena:

Next to it you can see the Royal Palace. You have to be blind to fail to see it because it is HUGE (The biggest palace in western europe) and you can visit almost all of it.. It isn’t only an incredible building but it contins a great number of pictures from famous artists like Velázquez and El Greco, antique armours hand-made carpets, etc. Here are some pics:

Spoiler for Palacio Real:

Around the palace there are two enormous gardens that are an ideal place to eat and to visit with a friend (Read: A person of the oposite sex which you are atracted to and you want to go steady with ;-) ). At this point you would be exhausted because of the long flight and the walking so unless you are not tired return to the hotel and sleep. If you do not fain returning yet to the hotel try walking around. The metro sytem closes at 2AM and you should get it before the one o’clock if you want to be sure.

Day Two:

There are three important museums in Madrid. The Thyseen has an high quality private collection of all epochs, the Reina Sofía (Reina=Queen, BTW) is a modern art museum and then there is the Prado. El Prado is big, and good. Some experts even say that it's importance as a museum is only below of the Hermitage in Rusia and even is amply superior to others as the Louvre.

Go first to the Prado. Probably it could be a good idea to visit the Prado on Day two and Reina Sofía and Thysen in day three and if you don't plan to go to Valencia leave the Thysen for day four . If you can wake up at seven and half sharp and get there at eight you will only have to wait an hour to enter or maybe even less (In a short way, be in front of the museum an hour before it opens or you'll face the joy of being in the same place waiting for 3 or more hours). Go right to Atocha by either train or Metro (Atocha the metro station is in front the Station and Atocha Renfe is inside it so don't get lost). Looking from teh Station to the left you can see the Reina Sofía where you should go later. Go up the Street (Paseo del Prado) and soon you'll see the Botanic Museum and crossing the Street you'll see the Prado. It is a really beautiful building of the XVIII century plus other anexes used to hold all the pictures and art that the old building couldn't contain. Walk a bit more and you'll see the Thyseen (At the oterh side of the roundabout).
This zone is full of important building such as the Congress, the National Bank, the Stock Market, almost all the gubernative offices, etc .I cannot explain it well enough so just come to this site and look around.

http://www.hot-maps.de/europe/spain/...id/homees.html.

Those three museums ahave full explanations and guides in Spanish, English and Japanese for Sure and I bet there are German and French guides too.

After going out from the museum, perhaps at around one or two o'clock try to go to a restaurant and eat authentic Spanish cuisine. The restaurants around Prado are going to steal all your money so maybe you should go down the street again and go to a less Tourist directed Restaurant, Unfortunatedly I don't know this area well enough to recomend a certain restaurant without sky-high prices and tourist-raping methods but probably going down Ronda de Valencia you'll see somee. Try asking to a pedestrian, the older the better, and follow his advice. If you find a group of old people you can surely find really good advice, trust me. Don't ask young people as they will direct you to the first place they can think of.

Some thoughts about dishes:

*Entremés (Random cheese and chorizo or similar to eat while your food is being cooked)
*Primer Plato (First dish) Soups, salads, and otehr light dishes
*Segundo Plato (Second dish) Fish and Meat. Normally wine is drink with those. All Spanish wine is going to be good but if you want for something really good ask for a Rioja though it could be expensive (And I mean REALLY,REALLY, expensive)
*Postre (Dessert)
*Café (Coffee)

Typical dishes:

-Cocido Madrileño
-Paella (Note: It doesn't costs 60 Euros or something similar. Hell, Paella is composed of rice and random ingredients like some meat or fish. Anything a countryman of the XV century could have around)
-Gazpacho
-Jamón (This is like wine, there are a lot of variety from the cheap one to the astronomical high price)

more to come....

Last edited by General_Norris; 2006-11-29 at 17:09.
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 11:08   Link #10
ichii
The Fonz

Send a message via Yahoo to ichii
I'm from Holland wich is imo a decent country ^^;;

places i definately gonna visit: Las Vegas, Tokyo
ichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 11:55   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Norris View Post
If you would [snip]otehr marvels.
Spectacular! This is the type of info I wanted! Say if I were to go to Espana for five days...what would the budget be like? Would €1,000 be enough to visit Madrid and Barcelona?

Anyone from Athens, Greece?
Old 2006-11-25, 13:01   Link #12
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Hello.

I live in Liverpool, UK. Don't come here. It is gay.

I want to visit Singapore. Who will let me sleep in their bed?
I live in Singapore. Don't come here. It is boring.

...but I'm not interested in visiting Liverpool (I do want to go to the UK though, some day).

OK, sorry for being evil.

May I ask, why on earth do you want to come to Singapore? I might be sounding self-deprecating here and I'll probably get hit on the head by some other Singaporeans here, but frankly speaking I think there isn't much to do here compared to other countries. It can't be helped that we are a very small country. Anyway, the thing is when you come here there are a lot of so-called attractions and features, but I personally find that a lot of them are so touristy that I just give up on recommending them. And I think a lot of people are turned off by the very plastic sort of face we show everyone. There have been more than enough comments that we are a 'sterilized' country... And it can't be helped that we also don't have much in terms of a rich/long history like the European countries. So nope, not much in the way of "wow" landmarks...

No matter what the Singapore Tourist Board says I still cannot stop thinking that Singapore is ultimately a place to work rather than... play. But anyway...

---
(I put in spoiler tags so that this doesn't look so much like some gigantic rambling monster post - which it really is.)
Spoiler for Want to come to Singapore?:

Personally, I have fantasies of going to...
North Canada
UK (I've been to London once, I'd like to go there again... But I *really* want to go around large chunks of the UK on train!)
Spain (Just out of curiosity, and to see its culture and artwork. I want to see what it was that inspires so many artists to make nice works there.)
Japan (Yeah yeah, but that's for another thread)
New Zealand (If there's some kind of Geography Tour thing that takes you around all the Sounds and various other amazing natural locations then I would love it!)

...And the Kingdom of Bhutan.

Spoiler for Why I want to go to Bhutan (More fantasies.):

...Ah, but whatever I say is just a bunch of fantasies, I don't even earn my own salary yet! I haven't even done my A-levels. Sheesh. There is very little chance I'll get to go *anywhere* as a tourist for the next few years... So I'll just hang around here and read the other fascinating things everyone else has to say about their countries.

Last edited by wao; 2006-11-25 at 13:15.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 13:37   Link #13
Nidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Prague, Czech Republic (I've been fascinated by this city ever since I was a kid)
Amazing city Theres plenty to do (the Easter and Xmas markets especially are worth checking out if you go around that time) and the alcohol is cheap Theres a bone cathedral around somewhere, just outside the city iirc, which was definitely the highlight of my trip, but hell if I can remember what its called. It should be in tourist info though. Anyway, heres a pic:

So next on my travels are (probably) California, Florence/Italy, Iceland and Thailand (Iceland and Thailand are a long long way off yet lol). Anything I should look out for?

EDIT: Oh and I'm from the UK. If you come here check out London (obviously lol) but make sure to check out Devon and Cornwall if you have the time. Lots of countryside, you can do surfing there, lots of National Heritage sites, just a really nice place I guess. I was born in Portsmouth; don't go there its a shithole. Bournemouth is a nice city, but theres not a MASSIVE amount to do there if you're not into beaches, nightlife, etc. Winchester might be worth checking out, it has a lot of medieval architecture and such if you're interested in that kind of thing

Last edited by Nidas; 2006-11-25 at 13:49.
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 13:41   Link #14
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I live in Singapore. Don't come here. It is boring.

...but I'm not interested in visiting Liverpool (I do want to go to the UK though, some day).
<---Post Snip--->

Well what I really I want to do is explore all of East Asia before I die. (Probably won’t happen) I just said Singapore because it has a nice blend of all the countries cultures I wish to visit. Thanks for the post though. +

P.S. So can I sleep in your bed or what? (Top and tail, of course!)

Edit: Also, if Liverpool doesn't tickle you're fancy you should maybe try Chester. That is were I'm working atm and it's pretty cool. Lot's of Roman history/buildings, pretty decent night life/restaurants etc. Nice parks and a river, were in the summer many people jump off the bridge into. The only down side is that it is right next door to Wales...

Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2006-11-25 at 14:04.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 13:42   Link #15
Silver Dragon
SHOW DOWN
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Dont visit Southern France, the Hotel prices give me seizures.
Unless you really wanna come here 0-o
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 13:53   Link #16
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidas View Post
Amazing city Theres plenty to do (the Easter and Xmas markets especially are worth checking out if you go around that time) and the alcohol is cheap Theres a bone cathedral around somewhere, just outside the city iirc, which was definitely the highlight of my trip, but hell if I can remember what its called. It should be in tourist info though.
The Sedlec Ossuary. It's one of the places I would love to visit in the Czech Republic.
Old 2006-11-25, 14:06   Link #17
Nidas

Quote:
The Sedlec Ossuary. It's one of the places I would love to visit in the Czech Republic.
Yep thats it. Something else I just remembered, when I went they charged for entry and they charged an additional fee if you wanted to take pictures, and that photo fee wasn't cheap, even with the £'s strength over the Czech currency at the time. And they have all kinds of freaky souvenirs for sale too, so remember to take lots of cash there
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 16:36   Link #18
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Quote:
Spectacular! This is the type of info I wanted! Say if I were to go to Espana for five days...what would the budget be like? Would €1,000 be enough to visit Madrid and Barcelona?
You need way more than five days to visit Madrid leave alone both. Ummm, the travel from Japan to Madrid is going to be really expensive, i checked Brithis Airways for London-Tokio and it costs around 650+ Euros alone so expect at least that money. One day in a three star hotel cost around 50€, with food or not i'm not sure, so taht makes 250€ more. We have a total of 900€ by now. Add transport fares ( 20€ at most,maybe even less), museums (There is a day in every week when they're free but probably it will be Sudnay and thus will be crowed tod eath adn you don't want that), a maximun of 5 euros for each and the must-visits are Prado, Reina Sofia or Thyssen and the Royal Palace which makes a total of 15 Euros. Now we have 935€. You should have at least another hundred or two for extra expenses as evrything is always more expensive that you thought at first.

You'll want to buy some goodies so be prepared. I will add more info later
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 18:09   Link #19
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
I'm from Hong Kong and you'll shouldn't come because nowadays the pollution in Hong Kong is so bad. Everytime you take a sniff of the air is just like smoking a cigarette already and you'll get very tired easily. but Hong Kong has it's good points and bad points, not to mention that everywhere is airconditioned and you can jump from shop to shop. Everything here is cheap like dirt. the food here is excellent and you can get any type of food you like depending on your tastes and the shopping here is the best. Hong Kong is known for its shopping, and it doesn't cost tax and retail here is cheaper than anywhere in the world. the clubs here are fun and the chicks here are hot. but other than that the pollution is bad and is health-hazardous.

US $ 1 = HKD $7.8
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 20:22   Link #20
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Well what I really I want to do is explore all of East Asia before I die. (Probably won’t happen) I just said Singapore because it has a nice blend of all the countries cultures I wish to visit. Thanks for the post though. +

P.S. So can I sleep in your bed or what? (Top and tail, of course!)

Edit: Also, if Liverpool doesn't tickle you're fancy you should maybe try Chester. That is were I'm working atm and it's pretty cool. Lot's of Roman history/buildings, pretty decent night life/restaurants etc. Nice parks and a river, were in the summer many people jump off the bridge into. The only down side is that it is right next door to Wales...

No, you can't, because I don't live in my own house :P Try convincing my parents to let some dude I met on the internet stay over here...

And what's wrong with being next to Wales? (I don't know anything about it aside from the fact that I find the Welsh language very amusing)

Tags
travel