AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-20, 21:55   Link #241
DrewGSR

Man ep 7 is more chibi form which is like getting way played out and boring. Like some have said show started off good but on a downward fall atm, getting pretty disappointed with each ep, kinda wishful thinking to see something actually happens and progression.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 22:48   Link #242
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Man, I just stepped into this series and it's like Azumanga Daioh meets School Rumble meets some wierd horror show. It's so crazy that it's actually hilarious and fun to watch. The one necro morbid chick is hilarious.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 04:40   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just watched episode 7 ... ... ...
I've come to the opinion that the purpose of this series is to cause maximum disruption in a bad way to my nervous system. For every decent 60 seconds of "hey this is funny/sexy/cool" there's about 180 seconds of pure annoyance.

Enough with the blob figures and chibi Sunako already unless there's an actual reason for it. A story-driven reason rather than a "We've Got $10 To Spend on Animation This Episode" reason. Actually, staring up the nostrils of unibrow boss got old after about three minutes. This series may win the "most overuse of the same three 'jokes' in a season" plaque. This is sad because there is actually a fair amount of funny here.

Okay... try to find the positive:
Kyouhei actually showing some character evolution for about five seconds out of the entire episode (and a few seconds of Sunako getting a clue or two) --- but we're getting much more evolution of relationship (and humor) out of Takenaga and Noi-chi. I suppose they're the contrasting couple to Sunako+Kyouhei.

The preview seems to imply we may start seeing some actual interaction between Sunako and Kyouhei next episode (outside of "bright-like-sun-spurt" and "bah-just-want-room-and-board"). I'm probably doomed because I'm hoping the last half of the series may actually go somewhere -- it would be sad if the series turned out to be a static sit-com.
Old 2006-11-21, 05:24   Link #244
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 7.

Honestly I find it difficult to exactly put my finger on a reason why this show has such a terrible hit-to-miss joke ratio. The worst thing about it, is that all the elements for good comedy have been there since the beginning: eccentric characters, light mood, etc, etc. Even worse is that this show can be funny every now and then. When I see a show that doesn't make me laugh I generally resign myself to the fact that... well... the people in charge just can't do comedy. But YNSH isn't like that since we've seen examples of good comedy. It's just so ridiculously sporadic.

Hints at character development in this episode. Who knows, more of it in future eps might redeem the show yet. Unlikely, though, since they've kept Sunako in near perma-chibi mode which makes it difficult to take her any seriously. I do like Noi and Takenaga, though. Although a lot of that has to do with how superbly they've been portrayed by their respective seiyuu. Well, we are talking about Nakahara Mai and Sugita Tomokazu after all (both of whom I'm very quickly becoming big fans of).

Not nearly enough depth to any of these characters overall, though. Kyouhei has some sort of reputation as a fighter? Where did this come from? More information please...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 06:10   Link #245
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I liked this episode solely because Sunako was shown (even if only for a few moments) in what she really was in real life. (I know it's not really a cogent statement, but I think you guys get the picture: at least it wasn't totally SD.)
I like her face. <3

I don't expect Nabeshin to do anything intelligent the next episode, however: I don't even know how he'll end the series, EVEN with manga material rich enough. He was stupid for this episode (and the last one) and I don't expect him to even do decently the next until he deviates from the manga and moves towards a proper ending. It may not be totally Sunako and Kyouhei, but at least there should be a hint of mutual understanding between the two. I'll never watch anything done by him again, after this series, because he's stupid, IMO. Only totally asinine people can destroy anime with material from a beautiful manga.

Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. Oh, if only Katsushi Sakurabi or any other director who CAN direct this did, it would be heaven, I think. Instead, we ended up with the wank Nabeshin. I won't drop the show, however, if it's only 12 - 13 episodes. Otherwise, goodbye to this show.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 11:55   Link #246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The short length of the series is helping to keep me watching (not too much wastage of finite remaining life). I can think of so many ways each episode could have been handled better that either Nabeshin is as incompetent as physics223 says... or he hates his audience.

Aye.... a few seconds of undeformed Sunako is really the saving grace much of the time. Frankly at this point in the series, one should expect to see "normal" Sunako as often as super-deformed Sunako ... with occasional splashes of "holy goddess utsukushi" Sunako.
Old 2006-11-21, 12:56   Link #247
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I may be just a curmudgeon, but I think I say things as they are. Nabeshin is a wank, and to desecrate such beautiful material is just blatantly sacrilegious.

Oh, I want MOAR Sunako NON-SD goodness. NON-SD!!!

To Nabeshit: Compredes? Understand? Kasabot? Naintindihan ba? 理解しなさい? افهم? Comprendre? Verstehen? Capire? 이해하십시오? Compreender? I used all the possible translations available in GoogleTranslate (and then some) so I hope you UNDERSTAND.

But don't mind me ... I'm just a cantankerous person who's just really pissed off, irate and irascible because his favorite manga wasn't given the treatment it just deserves. I mean, how hard is it to show a REAL Sunako? ZMOG.
Old 2006-11-21, 13:25   Link #248
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess I'll just have to go rummaging about for the manga if I'm going to get what I want... ... ... ah... Del Rey has it as "The Wallflower".
10-something volumes out so far...... ouch. Hopefully they'll keep all of it in stock for another week or two

The real tragedy here is that anime are made to encourage the buying of merchandise.... and here I am thinking of buying the manga to see what the story is *supposed* to be about because the anime is such a wreck ... talk about wrong messages to the creators.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-11-21 at 13:43.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 13:51   Link #249
Zappster

Well, in a sense it's done it's thing
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 18:26   Link #250
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Even great subbing by both C1 and the joint work of Kiss and Kyuu couldn't save the 'greatness' of this series. :V
Old 2006-11-21, 18:54   Link #251
Zappster

Maybe the series wasn't that great to begin with? After all this is you we're talking about
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 19:23   Link #252
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

You guys do realize Nabeshin probably isn't reading this thread.

You know, I find it a complete mystery that he handled this anime so poorly, since Excel Saga wasn't a bad anime. It wasn't the most brilliant comedy ever but it was reasonably consistently funny (although it did run out of legs towards the end). I just cannot figure out for the life of me why he can make something funny out of that, yet struggles so much just a few years later with something that, for all intents and purposes, should be funny. Maybe he surrounded himself with a really bad production crew... It just doesn't make sense.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 19:34   Link #253
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh yes.... no chance he's reading it but perhaps his ears are burning.

This should have been *easy* comedy romance with some stellar art (the animation could have remained low budget even without the extensive use of "white blobs" and "cheap chibi"). Perhaps he spent most of his time drunk at the local okonomiyaki grill.... ... ...
His staff certainly seems to have no sense of comedy timing or a clue as to when repetition without variation kills the comedy.
Old 2006-11-22, 12:58   Link #254
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Watched episode 7 and .. meh .. after the first two, it's like each week I'm watching the same episode all over again

But seriously, I do wish... :

1) ..They get rid of that chibified Sunako soon, because while at certain moments she can be fun to watch, too much of her is boring.
2) ..More screenplay for the "normal" Sunako, whom instead obviously has so much to say in this show.
3) ..They can clarify the role of Ranmaru and Yukinojo, besides being "dazzling creatures" and besides... "Sunako-chan that's creepy!"
4) ..To see deepened the relationship between Noi and Takenaga because it's one of the most interesting situations until now.
5) ..To stop stating that the most developed character until now is ... Hiroshi (the mannequin).
6) ..They kill out the "Goth Goth Loli Loli".
7) ..If none of these things is going to happen, I wish the series stops at 1 kur (12 or episodes, I wouldn't see the reason to fill until 24/26).

(Kinda sounds like.. The path to make a better series , as a parody of their parody ^^ )

The preview for episode 8 looks promising though... and I'm usually optimist.. wishing for a good turn

Last edited by Pellissier; 2006-11-22 at 13:10.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 16:38   Link #255
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just finished a few volumes of the manga this series is based on ... ... ...
right, everything I was speculating about what was going wrong with the series is pretty much dead on. Someone should take the director and his team and beat them senseless with badly tuned shamisan.
I was right.... Sunako spends hardly anytime in that ridiculous "fat chibi" mode and most of the characters do not turn to blobby white stick figures (there's probably a name for that).

Ah well, ... lets see if they can pull it back on track for the remaining episodes and stop spending all their time on bad crack.
Old 2006-11-22, 17:03   Link #256
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Its a shame that the only thing we can do is flame Nabeshin and complain... God knows what will happen to this series (and we dont even know if god exist! xD).
But I wonder if the directors get some kind of letters from fans.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 17:15   Link #257
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Well, I cry foul in the hopes of someone hearing my peals. I seriously think Nabeshit can do better, though. :V
Old 2006-11-24, 19:55   Link #258
lolosamonkey
I am Lolo

Send a message via Yahoo to lolosamonkey
I really liked the manga and I like the anime so far I bust out laughing in some parts but hrmmmm the guy with the short blonde hair is disturbingly feminine x_x
lolosamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 11:47   Link #259
darky
I belong to Darkness

Send a message via MSN to darky
I finished reading the 10 volumes of this series and I think the manga is much better than the anime (but sometimes the anime better in some scences) ...

any way Ep.7
it's funny ... no it's more funny than ep.6 but when I read the manga I laughed more than when I watched the anime ...
darky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 11:56   Link #260
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Are there only ten volumes of the series? Or do you mean that it's only up to its tenth volume? I don't think it's ended yet, unless someone can correct me ...