AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-28, 20:35   Link #18041
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
I know the end and then I go from there. :3 (Btw bad idea if you're writing an actual novel though >_>;
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 20:38   Link #18042
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Me? I never know what the ending is going to be because the characters tell me what to write. :3
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 20:39   Link #18043
Nita
Ņe~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
You know, I find only having a vauge idea of how a fic will go makes it better to write. When I do fics, I usually play out the major events in my imagination, but I don't link them all together until it actually spills out into Word. The one time I did do a structured outline before doing a fic, I kinda felt constrained by that outline. Doing it 'free style' allows for a lot more random creativity.
I understand the feeling, it happens to me everytime I have an idea. Though I don't really have the time to write right now.. so I'm waiting for my summer break. Four months of freedom!

In the meanwhile... *looks at her biology text...* Bah..

Watcha lookin'?
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 20:41   Link #18044
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I mostly have a vague idea of what I want to happen and how I think it should end and start writing from there. Maybe I know what events occur and when they occur, but that's about it. Pretty much everything else fills in and takes shape as I write.
Old 2009-10-28, 20:42   Link #18045
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

So, I just moved. There's a time in which I didn't have internet at my new home, but that time is over. Thusly, boys and girls, it's time for a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlicerZ View Post
Drabble
Depressing. Good! Depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Animal Instincts-Chapter 2: Melancholy Voices from Distant Memories
Good pacing on the awkward words, I think. You have a couple odd little mistakes (like 'more than I could bare' instead of 'more than I could bear'), but a decent read through will catch them all. My plot quibble is the embrace... why so soon? To someone they don't know? It seems... forward. Of both of them.

Oh, and as a twenty-three year old, why is this set in 2011?(If you wanted it to be set now, they'd be born in '86, or alternatively, be 21).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Recollections of a Lost Age, Chapter 1: Memory Reinforcement
I say good chapter length. I really like this idea, though I'm not all that fond of the framing device. Do you have a reason for the order of the Wolkies you're using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijiru View Post
Incesterbation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Goodbye
Without the insert, I think this means a lot less. I really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

Well, this is awkward.

Okay, so... I've actually been thinking about this for quite awhile, but some things happened last night that, for me, confirmed that this is something I have to do, at least for the moment. Because if I don't do this, then I might do something I regret, and I don't want to do that.

Basically, I'm taking a little break from writing. I just... I can't do it, not right now. It's not a matter of time, my spark has just.... gone out. Died. For the first time, I don't want to write anything, not even little shorts. So, as of right now, BtBR, "Sisters", and my ViCia series are officially on hold until I can step back and figure out what the hell's going on with me.

As for "Day", well, that's something I have to discuss with Nanya, because it isn't fair to him for us to put the series on hiatus just because I'm going through a bit of a mental breakdown right now. I know you can't force writing, but at the same time, it isn't fair to him or to the people who like "Day" for me to just drop it because of personal issues, so... I'll talk to him about it and see what he has to say.

This is only temporary. I know I'll definitely write again. I just don't know when, because... my spark is gone, and nothing I've tried can get it lit again, not right now.

I'm really sorry about this. I know I'm letting a lot of people down...
You're not really letting us down by taking care of yourself. You need to write when you need to write, but the corollary is that you need to not write when you need to not write. I like to think we're all friends here, and friends understand such things. Take a nice break; I noticed you are sticking around, and that's good too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Alternatives II
Nanoha's clearly messed up. I want either a good Hayate/Nanoha friendship moment of heartwarming, or a part of me is holding out...

for AltS!Nanoha/AltS!Chrono.

Quote:
Repost of part one
It's better to link back to the post than just do a repost, I think. That way, you can collect all everyone needs to know in one new post
Quote:
Chapter 2: Knight's Honor
Still not thrilled about the framing device for this story. It also seems like a cop out that Shari's escape program didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post

Spoiler for Nanoha Babies:

don't tell me I was the only one who watched Muppet Babies growing up
Vita as the adult is ironic . Thank you for this, Shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Get ready for it...

BACKLOG BREAKER!!!
Oh yeah! I dug out the picture for you, Dezo

Quote:
*snip*
Two observations about the villian. One: he's a prick. Two: his name makes me think of Twilight Princess.

Quote:

Yup...she does...

*drools*

...*flees*

Quote:
The Dangers of Flirting
More than a little brilliant here.

Quote:
lawl Vice. that's my motto for life

Spoiler for Vice:

The Vice likes

and I was thoroughly amused by Chrono's exploits.

@Satashi: Put that beast in spoilers love you're cloggin' my view
Brilliant, as per usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
... Wait, now I'm in a foursome?! 0_o
What, you wanted more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post

*quietly gets to work on Angel, Chapter 7.....*
*whip-crack*

Quote:
longest chapter: 35 pages (15,183 words). I don't go by pages, however, since the more dialog you have, the more pages you have. My stories don't generally have long paragraphs since I deal with a lot of conversation. I go by words for my length. In my eyes, no chapter can be LESS than 3,000 words and shouldn't be MORE than 10,000. Most of my chapters fall in the 6,000-8,000 range......then I have stories like this:
Spoiler for lol harry potter:

That fic actually got deleted from FF.N and I had to re-upload. Really sucks, I had helpful reviews on it along the way >.<
Every time you post this I get confused because I write in a fandom called “Breath of Fire” (Video game series, SNES, PSX, PS2) that isn't hugely popular on ff.net, and for a moment each time, I get this vain hope that you're a fellow believer.

Quote:
AlternativeS III
AltS!Hayate is more than a little awesome. It's very clear she's most worried in that intervention about AltS!Nanoha's heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika23onROOF View Post
of couse I know Tempest-sempai.

not everything can be a happy ending~

sometimes we just have to end things...tragecially. *evil smile*

*suddenly smile innocently*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... uh-oh. Rika-chan's a secret yandere?

*FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ*
Uh... that's new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Heh, usually I see it the other way around. Anime features all kinds of family and friendship...and in fact won't commit to anything more. Then the fanfic writers come along and pair everybody off.
*nods sagely* I love seeing good friendships in fanfic because of this tendency.

...And clicking preview proves that the thread is still moving at the speed of light. Geez, people.
Old 2009-10-28, 20:42   Link #18046
Nijiru

When I write shorts, I have a framework in my mind, I just have some problems with fleshing it out. Then again, I haven't planned anything longer than a couple chapters. Which are still in planning.
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 20:45   Link #18047
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
Me? I never know what the ending is going to be because the characters tell me what to write. :3
Your characters should be more specific then. My characters tell me the details along the way but I always know where they're going to end up. If I have any suggestions to fanfic authors (and authors really) it's that. Enjoy the ride but know where you're going, if you don't then you'll never get there or getting there will be off and awkward. For me if it's a short gag then I know the ultimate punchline, if it's something longer I know the final destination.
Old 2009-10-28, 20:47   Link #18048
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Currently my thinking is like this:

Nanoha jumped onto the chance to be happy and realized that she isn't exactly doing it right. (The whole premise of "omg yay you love me because we're DESTINED to be together!!) and now she has to either try and do it properly, or give up (and she currently seems like she doesn't want to help Fate get home. Probably another reason she's currently crying.)

Hayate is trying to send Fate back home while working with her team(and now Yuuno). In the mean time, she is making friends with Fate and seems to understand that Fate loves Nanoha and not AltS!Nanoha.

Fate is trying to stay calm by knowing that she has friends around her who are trying to help her out. I never saw her as one to scream out while breaking down, not knowing what to do. She has faith in herself and those around her. Currently, she is just trying to make it one day at a time and keep herself together.

I don't really plan out endings. I know the general direction of where this fic will go, but it isn't set in stone. I do know the ending couple, but I don't know how they will get there. Which means as I write, if it needs to change, it can.

My characters do the story, not me. (which is why, like Shiny said, my Nanoha isn't Canon!Nanoha. She developed because of how she handled my stories, and now that is Satashi!Nanoha.)
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 20:48   Link #18049
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
I rarely ever do that because if I don't have some kind of structure, then I can't keep the story together and everyone gets horribly OOC. It's not bad to write something short and do it that way, but for a longer fic you'll ultimately crash and burn. Saw it happen once... wasn't a pretty sight. >>;;
Old 2009-10-28, 20:50   Link #18050
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Good pacing on the awkward words, I think. You have a couple odd little mistakes (like 'more than I could bare' instead of 'more than I could bear'), but a decent read through will catch them all. My plot quibble is the embrace... why so soon? To someone they don't know? It seems... forward. Of both of them.

Oh, and as a twenty-three year old, why is this set in 2011?(If you wanted it to be set now, they'd be born in '86, or alternatively, be 21).
*laughs*

1. The thing about my fic that it's psychological so many things will be explained later. Remember, Fate is narrating her story so her thoughts are what we read...yeah...it's confusing...
2. The embrace...read above. :3
3. Joke on a leap year... Nanoha is technically 5 years-old and I thought it was funny but I also had another reason for it. Read on...

Quote:
Your characters should be more specific then. My characters tell me the details along the way but I always know where they're going to end up. If I have any suggestions to fanfic authors (and authors really) it's that. Enjoy the ride but know where you're going, if you don't then you'll never get there or getting there will be off and awkward. For me if it's a short gag then I know the ultimate punchline, if it's something longer I know the final destination.
I know the middle of the story but the actions leading it up determines the ending. I tried writing a fic with knowing ending once and it turns out to be a huge disaster...
Old 2009-10-28, 20:55   Link #18051
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I'm afraid I don't quite grasp this concept of characters taking over the story. What does this entail, exactly? How do you know it's happening?
Old 2009-10-28, 20:56   Link #18052
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't quite grasp this concept of characters taking over the story. What does this entail, exactly? How do you know it's happening?
I know it's happening when I want to try something and realize that Character A would never act in a way to bring about what I want to happen. This prompts a thinking session: so, what happens instead?
Old 2009-10-28, 20:57   Link #18053
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
i know it's happening when i want to try something and realize that character a would never act in a way to bring about what i want to happen. This prompts a thinking session: So, what happens instead?
Yes!!!! That!!!!!!!! XD
Old 2009-10-28, 20:59   Link #18054
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I know it's happening when I want to try something and realize that Character A would never act in a way to bring about what I want to happen. This prompts a thinking session: so, what happens instead?
Ah, ok. Yeah, I do that too. Or at least try, anyways.
Old 2009-10-28, 21:12   Link #18055
TheShinySword
*Author

Hmm, I think it's more extreme than that, sometimes a character just up and changes the plotline. For instance, in SfE WendixNove subplot was supposed to be a one off gag, then after it's success a two-off. I actually said outright on the IRC once Wendi And Nove would not have a subplot. Then Wendi decided she actually had feelings for Nove and made her own little scene.

Me: That was not as planned...
Wendi: Too bad~
Me: I have to rethink things now, you're making quite a mess of things.
Wendi:

And now WendixNove has a special place in my heart so yeah...

It's worse with OCs since I literally know them inside and out. I've had an OC tell me he was gonna have to die, I've had OCs decide who they were going to have a relationship with whether or not I approved. The thing is they're always right it is their story after all.

Disclaimer: Characters talking to the writer is a figurative statement. If your characters literally start talking to you, you are either very very sick (true story) or need to schedule an appointment with your local shrink.
Old 2009-10-28, 21:14   Link #18056
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

*whispers*

I hear anime characters...

*flees*
Old 2009-10-28, 21:15   Link #18057
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
If I can only think of a song I'd make a songfic. Those seem to come easily to me. Part of me wants to make one based on "It's All Coming Back to me Now" by Celine Dion.
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 21:16   Link #18058
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulliMike23 View Post
If I can only think of a song I'd make a songfic. Those seem to come easily to me. Part of me wants to make one based on "It's All Coming Back to me Now" by Celine Dion.
I think there's a songfic with that very song...but I could be wrong...
Old 2009-10-28, 21:17   Link #18059
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

The ViCia series has been a pretty damn good example of characters running away on me in directions I never expected. Originally I was going to just keep it as a short, simple little one-shot ("Never Been Kissed", how long ago that was...) and what occured several months later was along the following:

Vivio: You never gave me a resolution, you know. *poke poke poke*
Me: What, now you want one?
Vivio: I'm not the one who indirectly got her feelings rejected!
Me: FINE! I'll write a sequel, happy?!
Vivio:

And now it's my OTP of Nanoha, so yeah.... all because Vivio wanted her damn closure. Then Lutecia stepped up and was like "Yo, we need some serious angst in this place" and the whole subplot for the NSIS and the Shadows was born.

Also, I agree with Shiny's disclaimer.
Old 2009-10-28, 21:17   Link #18060
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
I think there's a songfic with that very song...but I could be wrong...

Allquall's first fic here would be what you're thinking of.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha