AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-29, 01:25   Link #401
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Talking Watanagashi Day 1 Release!

Hi everybody!

We have the Sonozaki Futago-tachi release of Higurashi no NAku Koro ni: Watanagashi - Day 1 ready for your enjoyment! The patch is only for the full version of Higurashi (Himatsubushi), of course; it also includes Onikakushi, also of course

Check our blog for more details.

Enjoy the fun and games!
Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2009-06-29, 01:33   Link #402
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Does that mean that we finally have to buy Himatsubushi in order run through Watanagashi-hen?
Old 2009-06-29, 02:06   Link #403
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Does that mean that we finally have to buy Himatsubushi in order run through Watanagashi-hen?
Yeah, I'm afraid so...

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2009-06-29, 05:54   Link #404
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Yaaaaay! Thanks Sonozaki sisters ! And you were able to hit your June goal too .
Old 2009-06-29, 06:57   Link #405
Orophin

Thank you so much for your hard work! I'm going to read it ASAP.
Old 2009-06-29, 09:28   Link #406
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Yay! Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Now, if only Himeya would restock the Higurashi games, I could play it...
Old 2009-06-29, 20:12   Link #407
Wafflemania
It's a Devil's Proof!

Thanks for translating~! day 1 was a lot of fun to read ^^
Can't wait for more~ (but take your time...don't like push urself or anything///)

on another note
i liked the song that played when rika was winning her game...Nipa~
Old 2009-07-02, 17:15   Link #408
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

HOLY SHIT.
Spoiler for Mangagamer might licence the Higurashi series:
That completely got me as a surprise. On the other hand, I'm not really satisfied with it either, as I personally know, that the Sonozaki Sisters are doing a fine job so far, and eventually they would have done all (at least most) of the Higurashi Arks.
As far as I know, that's the first such an event ever, where someone licenses a title, which already had an ongoing (ie at least partially patched) localization project. I personally would have preferred if Mangagamer would have announced something else, like Nitro+ games or EVE series etc.

Edit. The other thing bothering me is that now I have to buy it for the second time, as I got the japanese version delivered here some time ago.
Edit2: they might also adapt Shuffle too, which still has a contradictional TL project going (the translation is unreachable somewhere afaik). IMO it appears they are a bit inconsiderate about fantranslations...

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-07-02 at 18:16. Reason: typo
Old 2009-07-02, 18:26   Link #409
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

How strange, I went to look at that mangareader site and it looks like all they have is H games 0_o . ....Higurashi is a stange jump from there....

I'll buy it if they do release it though. (Hell, I bought the download version of the Japanese version of the game, why not?)

Wonder if it's just going to be a release of the first arc 0_o, the question arcs or... all the arcs 0_o . Man, talk about needing more info :/ .

Also, I too have been pleased with the Twins release of the game. I mean... there was even bonus joke chapters ;_; . That was cool....
Old 2009-07-02, 18:45   Link #410
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Oh yeah Mangagamer is a fairly new company (I think 2 years old maybe), IIRC they are based in Holland. So far they indeed mostly released games with some minor Ero-scenes in (Da Capo, Kira Kira, Edelweiss, Suika AS+) and a few sex-fests, but they do have some quite enjoyable titles on offer actually (I for one am satisfied with Kira Kira and Edelweiss).
However when Hirameki was still in business they also used to adapt non-H games, so that's not so strange I think.
Anyway now that Umineko anime goes, it might attract many people to buy it's "predecessor" too, and Higurashi still has a considerable fanbase, so it's a safe bet from their side to adapt it IMO, regardless of Higu not having Ero-scenes.
Even though they kinda disregard the fantranslation with that move (that also goes on Shuffle!)
Besides that I have a positive opinion about the company, as they do offer a good service for their price, and they vastly improved their translation since their earlier games. Oh well, we gonna see.
Old 2009-07-02, 19:15   Link #411
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Hmn, I'm kinda worried with an official translation. I'm thinking about the terms and other things.
Old 2009-07-02, 20:05   Link #412
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I'm sorry, you mean legal terms and conditions? They have it on the site for your info. They only offer direct download only currently, so no physical copy.

If you mean terms translation-wise, then they aren't bad to be honest. I'm playing Kira Kira now from them, and the translation is quite good, even though I have the impression it isn't done by an english native. Granted there are several typos and a few odd sentences, but it isn't distracting enough to prevent the enjoyment.
There are some translation notes for the various things without western equivalent, but there aren't many.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about their translation, however I'm a bit displeased they choose two titles with some already progressed fantranslations. It is a bit like they ignore all the effort the fan-TLs were doing so far I think (While at the same time all them Nitro+ games / EVE series games are remaining untouched :/ ...).

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-07-03 at 03:15.
Old 2009-07-02, 20:29   Link #413
kairi10116

I really love the translations the Sonozaki Twins do. Would you guys still patch the patches even if manga gamer releases there's?
Old 2009-07-02, 21:55   Link #414
Wafflemania
It's a Devil's Proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
HOLY SHIT.That completely got me as a surprise. On the other hand, I'm not really satisfied with it either, as I personally know, that the Sonozaki Sisters are doing a fine job so far, and eventually they would have done all (at least most) of the Higurashi Arks.
As far as I know, that's the first such an event ever, where someone licenses a title, which already had an ongoing (ie at least partially patched) localization project. I personally would have preferred if Mangagamer would have announced something else, like Nitro+ games or EVE series etc.

Edit. The other thing bothering me is that now I have to buy it for the second time, as I got the japanese version delivered here some time ago.
Edit2: they might also adapt Shuffle too, which still has a contradictional TL project going (the translation is unreachable somewhere afaik). IMO it appears they are a bit inconsiderate about fantranslations...
IM HAPPY thats is like the best news ive heard all year(besides umineko having an anime)

i have been borrowing a friend's copy of the game, so buying the game will be no problem for me.~ (^_^)
Old 2009-07-03, 03:13   Link #415
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairi10116 View Post
I really love the translations the Sonozaki Twins do. Would you guys still patch the patches even if manga gamer releases there's?
I'm not sure, but if they have the license here in the west, as far as I know, they are entitled to send C&D letters to everybody to stop localizing their products. Kinda like a fansubbed show is getting licensed, and the fansubbers have to stop distributing their subs.
But as I said, I reckon that's the first case where someone licensed a game with partial patch out already.
On the other hand the fan-translating community used to respect the official localizations usually (do note there is like 3 companies altogether localizing VNs), and choose a different title when it's already going to be covered officially (at least IIRC there was a case when Takajun wanted to TL Edelweiss or Kira Kira, and Mangagamer sent him an email that they are doing an official localization, so he didn't start it.)
I feel bad for all the effort the Sisters put into that project :/ .
In any case let's wait for now, because the official announcements and such from Mangagamer will be on the 4th. All we have now is their booth and the flyers, but it is not yet official entirely. As far as I've read they also speculate, they have a title not yet announced anywhere, supposedly an even bigger name (I truly hope not Umineko answer arks if they indeed have something else).

-----------
Spoiler for offtopic:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-07-03 at 04:50.
Old 2009-07-03, 05:24   Link #416
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Is that the company that only sells games by direct download and you have a limited number of times to startup the game (like, having to connect with their site to be able to startup the game)?
Old 2009-07-03, 05:54   Link #417
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

@Ace
Well they indeed only distribute through DDL currently (I'm hoping they are planning physical copies eventually), but there are no restrictions how many times you can start the game. That's kinda an over-exaggeration .

After purchase and downloading the product, you have to activate the game online (but only once), I think that's the thing you might be confusing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangagamer FAQ"
Activation is necessary only for the first time. See ""Activation” in How to start
And, if you mistype the activation code five times, you have to contact them and resolve it. ("You are limited to activate your game up to five times with the same ID due to the copy right protection.")
I doubt they'd charge anything for that though.
Old 2009-07-03, 06:06   Link #418
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I'm not so sure SF will be forced to stop. Translation creates a derivative work, and it's against copyright law to distribute that without permission of the copyright holder. SF has stated that 07th expansion has fairly generous terms, and that they have gotten explicit authorization.
Old 2009-07-03, 06:46   Link #419
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I honestly don't know roger. If it's the same as Anime licenses then I reckon they are entitled to enforce C&D. Ryukishi's statement and agreement to localize his games, are complicating things now IMO, so I haven't got a clue how to make heads and tails out of that thing.

Anyway: I've found that at Peach Princess FAQ (not Mangagamer):
"Our products cannot be shipped to Japan as they are only licensed for sale outside of Japan.".

I've read Ryukishi's statement about encouraging derivative works (and he counted translations as such), but I imagine Mangagamer paid something for his company to distribute it commercially everywhere outside of Japan (if they have a similar contract to the one Peach Princess has).
I personally think they would probably try to stop someone doing the similar thing, which they have paid money for.
I imagine they wouldn't use SF's already translated script of course, so they'd start from the beginning, and so far in all the games they made, they used a unique engine which is a lot different from ONScripter.

On the other hand, (I deeply apologize if I sound cruel and inconsiderate) they are planning to release it (probably all the question arks) by fall (maybe winter if they get delayed). How many of us would wait extra months (or even years) for the fantranslation, when they are going to finish it so soon?
I vastly prefer the Twin's translation over MG's any day mind you (and I have Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni on my shelve), but I'd fork out money again just to show my support of commercially localizing story-centered quality titles, and also for the purpose of reading it sooner.
Old 2009-07-03, 07:49   Link #420
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
By default, copyright law gives the original author exclusive rights to distribution. Usually, the original author controls those rights quite carefully, so they can grant a licensee exclusive rights within a particular other country. Ryukishi has not been so strict and has, to my understanding, granted SF permission to distribute the translated scripts and images. Any license 07th made with MG can't unilaterally remove permissions already granted.

OTOH, SF's translation is useless without a copy of the raw game itself; Himatsubushi has 200+ MB of images and 200+ MB of sounds; SF only provides 4 MB of images and no sounds.
Closed Thread