AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-01, 08:42   Link #61
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Despite the male lead being downright embarrassing to watch at times, overall this was plenty entertaining. I can imagine the narrator being hit or miss with people (and in a case of miss it will likely be quite intrusive), but the comments generally worked for me, especially the 4th wall shower/bathhouse ones

Ryouko turned out to be more decent than i expected - given obvious visual similarities and preemptive idea on her personality i was expecting another unbearable experience for me like Taiga, but Ryouko actually seems quite level headed, tsunderish moments aside. The other characters look like they will play their respective gag roles decently as well. All in all, while the show didn't really make me laugh out loud (Aside from the scene where Kakari cartwheeled in to her beloved sempai's face ), it did keep me entertained, so this will be a keeper. Now, the big question is - will they have enough popular fairy tale references to last the whole series. Time will tell ...
Old 2010-07-01, 08:57   Link #62
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Good show my only problem is the narrator.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:09   Link #63
Preacher

taken from 4 chan
Spoiler for :
Old 2010-07-01, 09:21   Link #64
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinvampire View Post
Good show my only problem is the narrator.
Same here.
This first episode is quite pleasant and has some nice animation sequences. To my mind the best part of this series is the character Okami-san with her manly behaviour, her delicious thighs and her neko neko knuckles.
Old 2010-07-01, 09:26   Link #65
ninja_pintu

Good episode. But not good enough to make me look forward to the next one.
Old 2010-07-01, 09:27   Link #66
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

I like how the knuckles left the neko mark on its victim. Ryouko must be a Genius to design something like that...
Hiroshi Amearai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:32   Link #67
RedWing

First, WTH is she wearing? Next, Narrator sucked bad, having to listen to that annoying voice is extremely jarring. Didn't dislike the male lead at all, but thats not saying much. Almost every character is stupid or did stupid things. Don't see why we needed 2 bath scenes to pollute one episode and the stupid comments from the narrator that went along with it. Little red's voice is annoying too. Main female is a typical tsundere. Did I miss something? Oh yea this show is stupid and will probably suck. I'll still watch it though, its not like this season is bursting with potential.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:55   Link #68
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm feeling the raeg in this thread.

Well, this is somewhat interesting. A reverse-role fairy tale tucked inside a world of fairy tale references and unexpected situations. I think I have another comedy series to watch. :3

I need to finish Asu no Yoichi soon.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 10:40   Link #69
SidVicious
Anime addict

Nice first ep.
Old 2010-07-01, 11:08   Link #70
kitten320

Huh? Is Kuroko from Index the narrator of this show? 0_o
Didn't watch any further yet, so will give the proper feedback later.
Old 2010-07-01, 11:15   Link #71
Velsy

Ima aquiring it, after looking at the replies here, I am interested O_O

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 11:20   Link #72
Kakkou
Tch.

I like both protagonists, Ringo is fine for now, so that's always a plus when I like all the main characters. I haven't seen direct interaction with the narrator since Hayate, though Satomi Arai is no Wakamoto Norio (then again no one will ever be in their lifetime and several reincarnations later) but I still liked the way she pulled it off, which thankfully was not as annoying as I expected. My only gripe is a lot of her lines were redundant and detracts from the joke of the scenes. If they can improve on that I'm sure this show will turn out to be a pretty fun ride. I already love the Cinderella twist they presented.

Ryoushi's obviously got hidden sniping talents, can't wait to see more of that-su. I also like his slurring-su. I blame Lavi from DGM for this-su. Good start.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 11:33   Link #73
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well the two most discussed things in this series as I can see is the narrator and the main male.

Leaving the voice issues aside (some like Kuroko's voice, some don't) I do think that there were too much of those comments here - some were well placed (bath scene) but some were just annoying because narrator was talking at the same time as the characters and because the narrotors voice is not like HnG (deep, easily distinguishable from others characters) voice it can one easily leave confused on who is telling what line.

Thats why I think they really need to tune down the narrator's comments so that at least it would not interrupt the characters dialogs too much.

And another thing is the main male - while usually most of main males get discussed for being bland etc. this one is rage worthy because all of his phobias make him an ultimate wimp. I really have trouble remembering other male characters who could match this level of pathetic. I mean his love confession has to be most pathetic and embarrassing confession I have ever seen.

For some it may be an interesting character - the creators instead of creating an average somewhat wimpy character, go and make an extreme wimp who would be an epitome of wimp and his very few redeeming qualities are too generic and plain to make it right.

Worse is that he is not reliable at all - they gave him the job and he utterly and pathetically failed (only the girl herself made it right in the end) and his shield action did not seem touching in the sightliest.

Maybe he will improve but I think it will be a remaining gag through the rest of this anime - an embarrassing pathetic hero for whom things still turn out good because of luck or because of others skills.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:02   Link #74
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

The Main male reminded me of the Prinnies from disgaea series though. I mean, his -su at the end of his speech...
Hiroshi Amearai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:07   Link #75
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I am expecting -- and hoping -- that Irino Miyu's character (the main male) will have some development toward being a stronger and more reliable person. Since that was the general movement of this first episode, I am fairly confident that will happen -- although too slowly for me, since I also find his abject wimpishmness fairly unbearable.

I used to hate it when Arai Satomi used this voice. But somehow I have gotten used to it, probably through so many weeks of Railgun (not that I actually finished that show, lol). Now I get the humor. I thought the narrator was one of the better aspects of this episode, especially since the characters were aware of her. Although maybe the timing wasn't perfect. They seemed to me to speak over little bits of each others' lines, or at least to rush in a bit too quickly.

I also thought the fanservice was good, from the swinging skirt and long legs to the bath scenes. Tasteful and effective.

All in all, this looks to me like another fairly high quality J.C. Staff comedy, with its own combination and reworking of memes. Originality is overrated, as long as a show can give us its own style and combination of memes, and do something with them.

It's been mentioned before, but I'll repeat that director Iwasaki Yoshiaki did Zero no Tsukaima, Hayate2, and Sky Girls; and writer Itou Michiko did scripts for Letter Bee and Railgun. And animation director/character designer Iizuka Haruko was character designer on Sisters of Wellber and Umi Monogatari, and animation director for episodes of Railgun. All makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:09   Link #76
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
The Main male reminded me of the Prinnies from disgaea series though. I mean, his -su at the end of his speech...
What're the odds a trollfansubber decides to tl all his "-su's" into "-dood"? That'll be a good laugh-su.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:23   Link #77
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Maybe he will improve but I think it will be a remaining gag through the rest of this anime - an embarrassing pathetic hero for whom things still turn out good because of luck or because of others skills.
Simply because I know it will turn out like that makes me want to drop the whole thing, which is a shame because the realization is really good and it was an entertaining 1st episode.
BUT the male lead... If at least he was a minimum decent, I would understand Okami getting all embarrassed and blushing at the confession. But there, having a kick-ass character like Okami playing tsun-tsun toward such a wimp is just wrong. If a guy start crying and then crawls at your feet while he tries to confess, you should step on him and tell him to come back when he actually grew some balls or something.
Not only do I feel bad for all men viewers who are supposed to identfy in one way or another with that guy, but he also ruines my fun by making Okami looks far less cool than she could be (I mean, who has such low love-interest standard? ).
Or I'm just sick of bad love-com'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Ryoushi's obviously got hidden sniping talents, can't wait to see more of that-su. I also like his slurring-su. I blame Lavi from DGM for this-su. Good start.
Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I wanted to punch my computer everytime he started speaking :/.
Old 2010-07-01, 12:38   Link #78
GDB

I enjoyed it except for the narrator talking over the other characters. I didn't mind her comments, in fact I really liked how she kept being like "Sorry that this is the best service shot we can give you." I loved how they integrated Cinderella into the episode, and can't wait to see more. I hope the final episode has a Snow White escapade with Ryouko as Snow White.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:38   Link #79
Ichijo

Hm. It's like Railgun creators decided to make a Toradora spin-off, it's nice.
But I also wondered if Railgun's world would've looked like this if esper abilities did not exist.

I like Ookami, her character and appearance, Her friend somehow reminded me of Uiharu.

Kuroko as narrator was fun to hear, I couldn't help, but expect to hear "Onee-samaaa~" from her.

I presume that Ryoushi is Ookami's seventh companion and he has a bigger role than just to show her tsundere side, but I hope he won't overshadow other six companions.
Ichijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 12:47   Link #80
Saber Cherry
Marionette

That really felt like another spinoff of Index/Railgun, particularly because Ringo seems like a exact clone of the teacher in those series (even moreso than the other characters, who mostly seem analogous to people from Railgun). Overall I thought it was pretty fun to watch (particularly the very end) even though it suffers from a severe overuse of cliches - in fact, it would not be a stretch to call the show a montage of cliches. And I found the narration a bit annoying, like some others...

But since it was entertaining, and the upcoming season looks generally dismal, I'm looking forward to episode 2

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen