AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 02:45   Link #601
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it would certainly give anyone that was boarding their ship pause.
Old 2012-01-23, 02:48   Link #602
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
And oh god, the pink, the PINK. Did we really need to paint the inside of a space ship that blinding pink? I know it's a heavy female cast, but c'mon. Give the ship some dignity.
What's wrong with pink? Real men can wear pink clothes and still be sexy. I remember the Eternal being pink and still kick ass. And before it was a girl's color Pink WAS a man's color.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 02:48   Link #603
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Awww ... I thought it was kinda funny.
Well I laughed because of how jarring it was . The idea of potential pirates fighting in space with a pink interior to the ship like that just seems sort of odd to me .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 03:18   Link #604
sa547
*Author

Someone forgot to mention that Episode 3 was a filler, but still somewhat important as Marika has to obtain further experience and expertise. But the cruise will remain to be a perilous one as they leave the confines of their homeworld.
Old 2012-01-23, 03:18   Link #605
Random Wanderer

Quote:
And oh god, the pink, the PINK. Did we really need to paint the inside of a space ship that blinding pink? I know it's a heavy female cast, but c'mon. Give the ship some dignity.
Real men pirates wear paint their spaceships pink.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 03:31   Link #606
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Fair enough ... iirc you had similar criticisms regarding Tamayura Hitotose? Nothing wrong with it imo, could be just that you don't like that ... erm ... method of presentation I guess?
I didn't really think of Tamayura TBH, because while I have some issues with both shows, they're quite different issues. I think Tamayura made it pretty clear from the beginning what it wanted to be - that just wasn't something that I was 100% sold on. Here, I feel as if the series has made no declaration of purpose at all. I don't really think MP has made the commitment to character-building that Tamayura did, though it obviously has two cours to get around to it.

Again, I like slow-paced, "world-absorbing" shows - but they need to fill in the blanks with thorough character development or atmospherics. While it's clearly connected with some viewers, MP hasn't connected in those areas with me. It's a perfectly pleasant place to be - it's pretty and full of nice people doing fairly interesting things. I just don't see the point, at least so far.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 03:56   Link #607
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Well I laughed because of how jarring it was . The idea of potential pirates fighting in space with a pink interior to the ship like that just seems sort of odd to me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it would certainly give anyone that was boarding their ship pause.

Totally can the hard-boiled, buff, vicious space pirates boarding the ship and all going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I didn't really think of Tamayura TBH, because while I have some issues with both shows, they're quite different issues. I think Tamayura made it pretty clear from the beginning what it wanted to be - that just wasn't something that I was 100% sold on....
Ahhhh ... I must have missed (or perhaps forgotten?) this. Okay - that makes a difference. These sorts of things are something I was completely sold on even before I heard the series announced it was going to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Here, I feel as if the series has made no declaration of purpose at all. I don't really think MP has made the commitment to character-building that Tamayura did, though it obviously has two cours to get around to it. Again, I like slow-paced, "world-absorbing" shows - but they need to fill in the blanks with thorough character development or atmospherics.

While it's clearly connected with some viewers, MP hasn't connected in those areas with me. It's a perfectly pleasant place to be - it's pretty and full of nice people doing fairly interesting things. I just don't see the point, at least so far.
Quite understandable. If it hasn't clicked it hasn't clicked - maybe it will soon and maybe it never will?

Well, perhaps what you are getting thus far will be nicely wrapped up (hopefully sooner than later for you) or perhaps it will show itself to be endemic to the series and a serious weakness for more and more - I hope the former will prove to be the case for you and others.

Of course there is also another possibility - perhaps the series will turn into something completely different and blow all viewers completely out of the water, overwhelmed and scratching their heads, wondering what on earth just happened.

BTW - for some reason I have it somewhere in my head that the Yacht club is going to be meeting up with the crew that Marika has "inherited". Has this actually been said in the series or am I inventing things?

Last edited by Flower; 2012-01-23 at 13:27.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 04:28   Link #608
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

Awww ... I thought it was kinda funny.
I thought it was sexy.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 05:31   Link #609
Dawnstorm

Quote:
BTW - for some reason I have it somewhere in my head that the Yacht club is going to be meeting up with the crew that Marika has "inherited". Has this actually been said in the series or am I inventing things?
Well, a couple of yacht club girls appear in the opening with the pirates, so...

ETA: @Guardian Enzo: I think I finally get it. Thanks for patiently explaining your issues. I'm, personally, sold on the show (which I think will be a sideways glance at a complex political situation, seen through adventure goggles).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 11:38   Link #610
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
You mean this one?
Spoiler for ships:

Edit: They just finished the last episode [Post 1 [Post 2] [Post 3] from Satou's Twitter
Well three days ago the staffs were watching EP 7 [captainMarika's twitter]
I think it is almost looks like some cannon ship from IGLOO.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 12:18   Link #611
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Well, a couple of yacht club girls appear in the opening with the pirates, so...
A couple? You mean like all of them?
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 13:24   Link #612
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
A couple? You mean like all of them?
I didn't pay attention to see if it's all of them, but, yeah, "a couple" is a bit of an understatement...
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 14:34   Link #613
julez
Tsundere-chan

Quote:
I didn't even notice it was pink in the previous episode, but in this one it jumped out at me. I'm not sure why, perhaps I was paying more attention to the details... lol I agree they should have had the inside of the spaceship painted with a more neutral color...
The only thing I liked about episode 3 is when they ventured outside the spaceship and the procedures they went through to get ready. Other than that I felt the pacing was way too slow for my tastes... I'm still going to watch a few more episodes because I still like the characters and the story idea, but I hope they speed up the pace a tiny bit.
Old 2012-01-23, 14:39   Link #614
Jimmy C

Do note that it's a girl school. So, who's going to object when the seniors in the club decide to paint it pink?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 17:07   Link #615
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Out of this -- Marika is the only one, who did not improve going left-to-right. For example, Chiaki is given a younger and more stern look. Improving those two attributes really really raised her character. The stern-ness in particular goes along with her demeanor, of calm and collected.
I think the Princess and the Bentenmaru's System Operator type look better on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
That's one tight suit to mold to the body like that under those circumstances.

Mechanical counterpressure suits
have to be skin tight to work.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 21:45   Link #616
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

This anime sure takes its time to go through but I really appreciate its laidback nature and the characters are all just regular schoolgirls instead of over the top. I missed this kind of anime. I liked the main character Marika, for once she seems like the most levelheaded teen I've seen and eager for anything yet she has nothing in particular stands out. It's very refreshing to see such anime with mostly female casts and hardly no fanservice.

While the other people may be complaining about episode 3 for its particularly slower pace and no action, I found it enjoyable. I liked the fact the other characters had some screen time beside the main casts. Sure they may or may not be making appearance later on but I appreciate any anime willing to give screen time to unimportant characters than just making them plot devices which a lot of anime does nowadays. Anyhow it was very relaxing in a way watching this episode. Maybe it was a good idea to put some kind of foreshadowing or some hint to make it more interesting.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 15:32   Link #617
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After Episode 3, my views on this anime are very similar to Guardian Enzo and Reckoner's. That's unfortunate because Episode 1 was honestly better than I had expected. But what I ironically initially saw as a positive (little-to-no fanservice) has actually now turned into a negative. If ever there was an anime that could use more fanservice, this one is it.

Mark it down, folks, because you won't read Triple_R write this very often: This anime would benefit from more fanservice.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an anime that would benefit more from fanservice than this one would. You have an entire class of teenage girl characters, probably half of which most viewers will never care about (if they even manage to get names), so there should be no concern that fanservice-ing them up some could degrade their characters because they're not terribly important anyway.

Now an anime can get away with being a slow-burner, but it needs one of three things in order to pull it off, imo:

1) Be very heartwarming. I'll call this the Tamayura ~Hitotose~ approach, since that anime has already been raised on this thread.

2) Be very suspenseful. I'll call this Another approach.

3) Spice up a few scenes here and there with a bit of comedy and/or fanservice. When executed well, this can kind of compensate for a very slow-moving plot.

Mouretsu Pirate's characters are nice and pleasant enough for most types of anime, but their overall presentation doesn't lend itself to that "DDAAAAAWWW!" feeling that Tamayura captured so marvelously, imo. The show does a decent job of making bits of narrative that would typically be boring seem mildly interesting, but it's not exactly suspenseful.

So that leaves us needing comedy or fanservice. Which this show also doesn't have much of.

But it is interesting what this causes the show to be, which is different than anything I've seen before. It's competent in just about everything that it does (characters, visuals, audio, dialogue), and it's above average in at least a couple areas (realism, attention to detail), but there's just no hook/payoff there at all. Episode 3 was pure homogenized vanilla ice-cream for the entire episode. It's competently made, but it's still pure vanilla without any of those myriad of wondrous added elements found in Chiaki's artery-destroying parfaits.

(As an aside, Chikai originally made me think of Akemi Homura, but now she makes me think of Kyouko Sakura in her ability to eat vast quantities of food without putting on weight. ).

Finally, a show's premise and title aren't everything, but a show can't be almost the exact opposite of it unless it's a *wink, wink* running gag that the audience is in on. If you call yourself "Bodacious Space Pirates", then you better provide at least two of the three, and so far all I'm seeing is the "Space" part. After three episodes, the anime is really not living up to its premise and title.

I'll give this anime another episode or two, but by then, I hope things will be picking up more.
Old 2012-01-24, 16:52   Link #618
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Finally, a show's premise and title aren't everything, but a show can't be almost the exact opposite of it unless it's a *wink, wink* running gag that the audience is in on. If you call yourself "Bodacious Space Pirates", then you better provide at least two of the three, and so far all I'm seeing is the "Space" part. After three episodes, the anime is really not living up to its premise and title.

I'll give this anime another episode or two, but by then, I hope things will be picking up more.
I decided to actually watch the trailer. I rarely watch any trailers; for I usually allow "word of mouth", or the more talked about threads across different forums to help me decide what series to get into now (or later). But this one, I jumped on it right away.

Anyways... judging from the trailer... there will be plenty of space and pirating. Therefore, plenty to look forward to.

Quote:
Sometimes, it may help to shelve a series - and/or - wait to let the whole thing finish before watching, in order to enjoy a series at one's own leisurely pace.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 16:59   Link #619
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
3) Spice up a few scenes here and there with a bit of comedy and/or fanservice. When executed well, this can kind of compensate for a very slow-moving plot.
I fail to see how fanservice will 'compensate' for a slow moving plot. It'll only make it go even slower.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-01-24 at 17:55.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 17:10   Link #620
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I, for one, approve of my non-fanservice Moretsu overlords.

It's an anime I've become addicted to because of its share of seriousness and old school sci-fi elements, despite its slow pace. No fanservice is a fresh breeze and adds nothing anyway.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri