AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-10, 00:08   Link #1
Viper764

Why do you think Anime has become so popular in the US recently?

Ten years ago the Anime industry in the US was worth thousands. Today, it's a multi-million/billion dollar industry. What do you think attracts people to Anime, and why do you think its popularity only boomed recently?

Last edited by Viper764; 2007-04-11 at 20:43.
Viper764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 00:11   Link #2
Bill

A combination of globalization, increased education, an inpouring of foreign influences, and a greater demand for high quality graphical representations. If you look at special effects in todays movies, you'll note that there is a prevalence of higher quality visuals taking a precedent. Anime is the higher quality visual of the cartoon world. Pair this with an amplified level of seriousness in stories, and you're able to tap into a community of people in an older age bracket than was traditionally targeted by animation.

That's the brief answer. I might come back and edit it into a much longer response.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 00:30   Link #3
Bloodseeker

Toonami, Adult Swim, etc.

They aired the right anime in the right place, and it took off. Then word spread to non-CN watchers via word of mouth.

Why are people attracted to it? Because its different from what you'd usually find on American television, in a good kind of way. The stories, the settings, the characters... they're a different breed.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 01:03   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

American television got into a serious rut of recycle and a race to the bottom for mental challenge. Then what Bloodseeker said ... right place right time right eyeballs. I suppose the viral success of a number of foreign produced live action films also helped along with people like Tarantino and other creative people praising Asian material as inspiration.
Anime is still a niche and some of the attraction is purely novelty, but many people are realizing that there's a lot of good stuff produced outside of Hollywood -- and it isn't that hard to read subtitles and enjoy a film.

I've noticed a trend in american television which I interpret as a response to their steadily shrinking eyeball numbers -- its possible at least some people are doing their research.

I just watched a new show called "Thank God You're Here!!" ...live action improv throwing comedians into skits without prep. It has a lot of entertainment potential. If they'd stop screwing around with timeslots and the constant repeat/destruction of shows like Heroes (just run it as a freaking mini-series at a regular time and they might get some god damn viewers). I might like the show... I don't know because I refuse to chase it all over the damn week and then figure out if its a repeat or not.

Actually, I suppose there's a disconnect --- people want to see a story that starts and finishes >>> they used to call them mini-series (Roots, Shogun, etc). The tv execs want something comfortable that never changes and never ends and they don't have to work to sell ads.... so they end up with crap most of the time.
Old 2007-04-10, 01:24   Link #5
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I just watched a new show called "Thank God You're Here!!" ...live action improv throwing comedians into skits without prep. It has a lot of entertainment potential. If they'd stop screwing around with timeslots and the constant repeat/destruction of shows like Heroes (just run it as a freaking mini-series at a regular time and they might get some god damn viewers). I might like the show... I don't know because I refuse to chase it all over the damn week and then figure out if its a repeat or not.
If you want good American television, then watch 24. Interesting characters, good shoot outs, Jacker Bauer torture sessions... great show.
Old 2007-04-10, 01:29   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

3 letters..

DBZ - Despite whatever irrational hate many purists have because this show became insanley popular in America, without it there is no anime revolution of the late 90's, there is no adultswim, there is no plethora of anime blocks on national TV and cable...DBZ's ability to garner advertising dollars based on it's ratings gave anime the realistic parameters for evolving in the american mainstream market...Don't let your little brother's Vegeta Toothbrush with Super-Saiyan bristles fog your mind to this unquestionable fact...
Old 2007-04-10, 01:36   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Why is anime popular? New american TV show titled, "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader." Need I say more?
Old 2007-04-10, 01:41   Link #8
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Why is anime popular? New american TV show titled, "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader." Need I say more?
You know that they pick the dumbest people that they can find for that show, right?
Old 2007-04-10, 01:52   Link #9
Mattguy

That show is a fixed piece of junk, makes me sick remembering that one episode. The reason I feel anime is so popular as of now is that it's just plain better than american cartoons in every aspect. I mean really what's better, a bunch of people in masks and tights saving a bunch of lame looking aliens in another galaxy or ten story mechas(not sure if thats right but whatev) leveling cities shooting up other ten story mechas? Or whats better a yellow sponge-well I'll stop right there.
Mattguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 10:34   Link #10
jianfish
Looking for something

Perhaps it is a niche area that hasn't been explored yet. Anime is sort of a cartoon for adults and nowhere is this genre available. Its always cartoon being too childish and adult shows like CSI, 24, Prison Break being too serious. So I guess it occupies the middle ground and people are actually discovering it.

Also awesome girls and great boobs help.
jianfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 11:43   Link #11
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattguy View Post
That show is a fixed piece of junk, makes me sick remembering that one episode. The reason I feel anime is so popular as of now is that it's just plain better than american cartoons in every aspect. I mean really what's better, a bunch of people in masks and tights saving a bunch of lame looking aliens in another galaxy or ten story mechas(not sure if thats right but whatev) leveling cities shooting up other ten story mechas? Or whats better a yellow sponge-well I'll stop right there.
The masks and tights.

Because it's about people battling for the world they think should be; because it's about people with power who use it for the betterment of others rather than the betterment of themselves.

What does the ten story mechas leveling cities in their battle against other ten story mechas inspire?
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 19:53   Link #12
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

i agree with wingdarkness, DBZ certainly increase the amount of otakus in US along with popular shounen anime like Naruto.

and to be fair, DBZ manga was extremely successful and entertaining.... ummmm.... about 14 yrs ago? (it was one of my first few manga i had along with doraemon)
Old 2007-04-10, 20:25   Link #13
Kittie Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper764 View Post
Ten years ago the Anime industry in the US was worth less than ten thousand dollars. Today, it's a multi-million/billion dollar industry. What do you think attracts people to Anime, and why do you think its popularity only boomed recently?
Are you sure about that? I always remember shows like Gigantor being on, there was always quite a bit of anime, it just wasn't a "thing" like it is now.

The reason anime is so popular nowdays is simple: Western TV sucks.
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:48   Link #14
aorta

WWW>DBZ

The Internet allows people to find out more about anime.

Also you've watched anime since the 70s, it just was chopped up, edited, dubbed and made American. What - me no watch anime? All those 80s shows on Nickelodeon were from Japan. Noozles comes to mind.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 21:34   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
You know that they pick the dumbest people that they can find for that show, right?
That's not the point. That the show even exists is the problem. It's a symptom of the decay of american culture. Now some might say it's an elitist attitude, but just look at what's on tv. Hell, you can't even find real news anymore. Even on the so called educational channels like discovery you're getting shows more about pandering to the lowest common denominater than actually being educational.
Old 2007-04-10, 23:06   Link #16
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Are you sure about that? I always remember shows like Gigantor being on, there was always quite a bit of anime, it just wasn't a "thing" like it is now.

The reason anime is so popular nowdays is simple: Western TV sucks.
That is seriously debatable. Most people think that inherently that anime is some great thing to happen and that anything in the Western world (be it cartoons or what-not) sucks. This is probably the stupidest and most closed-minded way of thinking you can come across, almost akin to the people who automatically dismiss any dubbed anime as bad.

It's a matter of taste, there are plenty of Western television shows that are great, for example 24 as was previously mentioned. Other shows are very dependent on tastes, such as Scrubs, ER, the various incarnations of Law and Order and CSI...the list could go on for shows, including that of cartoons, that could easily be said are above average and good.

What got anime so popular was a lot of references from established outlets using it. Believe it or not, anime's been there for the better part of almost 30 years, especially when shows like Astroboy ended up being so generic-looking that no one really payed attention that it was from Japan. When they 80's came around, more shows with either Japanese roots or just an influence started to get more and more popular, in a time when people weren't too worried about their children seeing a bit of violence (ala GI Joe, Voltron, Robotech) and there was substance to the show other than a pressing moral. When the 90's came around so did the hooplah over the violence in the children's shows, it had been gaining ground since about 88 and it finally got a peak that show creators were going to the other extreme in being careful in their content.

With Japan not holding the same ideals and moral-influence as the American market, Japanese shows were becoming either huge flops due to the localization (Samurai Pizza Cats) or just outright getting canceled after one episode (various attempts at this). It was when Sailor Moon actually somewhat succeeded at localization that anime was starting to gain a bit of acceptance again, then DBZ started up and garnered even more interest. So now you have a show that appeals to both boys and girls with huge opportunities to build off of...and for a while they did, we got the explosion of shows on Saturday morning that originally aired in Japan...Pokemon started, then Digimon, then a whole slew of other shows started following year after year.

Right now, I think we're in a sort of decline...less of the children-specific shows are getting exposure (Yu-Gi-Oh is on the way out and Pokemon is still slowly going on) while the more mature audiences are starting to see the quality of anime and what it can bring to a more mature level of entertainment. Afro-Samurai, while being a real disappointment, is probably the pinnacle of this, as it was created for American audiences using Japanese art and running similar to how anime are. It showed that anime is starting to get a more mainstream acceptance and getting out of the 'cartoon-sex' underground.
Old 2007-04-10, 23:55   Link #17
DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper764 View Post
Ten years ago the Anime industry in the US was worth less than ten thousand dollars. Today, it's a multi-million/billion dollar industry. What do you think attracts people to Anime, and why do you think its popularity only boomed recently?

Less than $10,000? Is that right? Where did you get this stat from?
DarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 00:01   Link #18
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I'm more interested in why he thinks anime growth is on an upward trend when everyone else says it's actually on a downward trend over the last five or so years.
Old 2007-04-11, 00:12   Link #19
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
I'm more interested in why he thinks anime growth is on an upward trend when everyone else says it's actually on a downward trend over the last five or so years.
I think the popularity is rising while the sales stay flat. I would like to know why, too.
Old 2007-04-11, 00:32   Link #20
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Bit torrent.

That and other p2p like limewire and kazaa and (as others have pointed out) the internet in general.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote