Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-30, 05:26   Link #41
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
If it's one of console's title, then I'd be agree with you, since I've always been believing that handheld title is their source of budget for bigger one on console, therefore the production quality won't be high (well, W was a surprise for me, though).

Beside, from what I heard, the Japanese doesn't take the announcing of SRW L as positive as we think. The amount of hate and disappointment among the fan surpasses what I've ever seen in this franchise.

Either way, there is still one "surprise" that Terada promised us that will be revealed at TGS, so embrace your hope (and rage ) until that time.

Oh, and, long time no see.
I don't really subscribe to the whole theory of mediocre titles translating into revenue for quality titles as being a business model for Banpresto or any other company that the theory has ever been brought up for. I know I've seen it brought up in some rather fanboyish arguments to try to cover for poorly received anime titles by favourite studios more than a few times on these very forums and I shot it down just the same there; mostly because it doesn't really make a whole lot of business sense. The only way that it works as stated is if they are somehow not feeding the revenue from the console titles back into the funding for mediocre handheld ones, which means no source of funding for the next set of titles which means bankruptcy. The idea they are surely going for (as any 3rd party development company in a position to do so would) is cross-platform availability of the franchise (and as an extra incentive to the target consumer making sure to make each individual title platform exclusive) for profit maximization. If handheld title profits are being used to fund new console titles funding is definitely coming from profits from prior console titles as well. A business model that forces usage of capital from one source or division of income only is a pointless limit on growth potential anyway. Furthermore a business model that doesn't follow a circular model of expense->profit->expense->profit-> in all transactions is doomed to fail eventually. As the saying goes you have to spend money to make money.

Can we get a link regarding the lukewarm response from Japanese fans you are talking about by any chance? I kind of want to see what the story is there.

Also truth be told I don't exactly have much faith in Terada and never really have. The guy has always given me the impression of someone who doesn't really know what they are doing as a team leader and producer (at least not the same way someone like Miyamoto or Shinji Mikami does) but who has just barely managed to scrape by with his reputation intact up until recently where bad ideas like Endless Frontier and frequent graphical overhaul remakes have really started to showcase why some call him a fanservice oriented director. I appreciate that he's overseen a period where the Super Robot Franchise has undergone a renaissance of 2D sprite animation, but he doesn't seem to have any ideas on what to do with the franchise beyond that.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-08-30 at 06:00.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 10:59   Link #42
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Can we get a link regarding the lukewarm response from Japanese fans you are talking about by any chance? I kind of want to see what the story is there.

Also truth be told I don't exactly have much faith in Terada and never really have. The guy has always given me the impression of someone who doesn't really know what they are doing as a team leader and producer (at least not the same way someone like Miyamoto or Shinji Mikami does) but who has just barely managed to scrape by with his reputation intact up until recently where bad ideas like Endless Frontier and frequent graphical overhaul remakes have really started to showcase why some call him a fanservice oriented director. I appreciate that he's overseen a period where the Super Robot Franchise has undergone a renaissance of 2D sprite animation, but he doesn't seem to have any ideas on what to do with the franchise beyond that.
I don't have the link, sorry. Mostly it's because of the expectation came from the ending of ACE:R, and Terada also said something about "working title" on the PS3, so people expect the next SRW game will be on PS3. SRW L just came out of nowhere, which lead to disappointment and, as usual, the following hate toward the game.

Btw, I personally don't think Endless Frontier are bad games. In fact, as enjoyment value involved, I think those games are quite high.
Old 2010-08-30, 12:34   Link #43
RisArk

Wow, so am I the only one looking forward to this? I can't wait to see the new entires, and more importantly how they refine the battle system. The partner system needed some kinks to work out, so I'm hoping it makes a return in some way.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 22:13   Link #44
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Anyway, more new screens. And Asuka confirmed for SRW L.

With Eva, Macross F and Linebarrels,maybe it will keep me enough interest.
Old 2010-08-31, 05:23   Link #45
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Endless Frontier is not that bad, as a spin-off that is. The only thing that makes me dissapointed with this new title is that I think macross F deserve a debut in SRW in console for better BGM. That and I like voiceover to feel the hotbloodedness in some of my SRW char lol. The DS title is not that bad for me, but the lukewarm BGM and no voiceover make me never finish the game lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 23:15   Link #46
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

PV is out.
Old 2010-09-01, 00:42   Link #47
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

well, animation looks pretty solid, not as good as masoukishin remake though
Old 2010-09-01, 07:32   Link #48
Nayim

Not bad at all, kinda surprise Iczer-3 can fight without armor unit like Tekkaman Blade & Detornator Orgun XD.
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 00:46   Link #49
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

They reveal the system and the original casts:

http://superrobotwar.files.wordpress...0915_srwl1.jpg
http://superrobotwar.files.wordpress...0915_srwl2.jpg

Seem like partner system, but get revamped?
Anyway, I am interested in Alice :3.

Quote:
Pilot is Nagumi Ichitaka. Average school student who stumbles across Rushbird.

Girl is AL-3 Alice, who is a maid/housekeeping robot.

The man is Ciral Graif. He is a wacky scientist who invented Alice.
Old 2010-09-15, 08:10   Link #50
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Nice OG robot. Maybe I'll give this a chance after all XD
Old 2010-09-15, 14:02   Link #51
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201009/16033481.html

Clean new screens and art of the new originals. Cute maid girl is cute, though it looks sorta like they've changed the character designer?
Old 2010-09-19, 00:30   Link #52
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Day one, This has got to go In my collection!
Old 2010-10-20, 05:15   Link #53
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201010/20034871.html

Newest trailer, lots of notable new eye candy and the Berserk Eva at the ending was a nice touch. Also first time ever I believe they used a main games theme in the trailer.
Old 2010-10-20, 06:15   Link #54
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Nice trailer . Macross Frontier ftw
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 19:29   Link #55
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

I've played two of these games now (K and Z), and though I like the robots and the systems I've tended to find the stories in them lacking (not surprising really considering how many different canon they have to try to mash together).

I was wondering what SRW fans think of the OG Saga PS2 game, and whether that game's story is a bit more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, the games are fun. I just really find the stories uninteresting after awhile.
Old 2010-10-21, 20:44   Link #56
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by mageormike View Post
I've played two of these games now (K and Z), and though I like the robots and the systems I've tended to find the stories in them lacking (not surprising really considering how many different canon they have to try to mash together).

I was wondering what SRW fans think of the OG Saga PS2 game, and whether that game's story is a bit more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, the games are fun. I just really find the stories uninteresting after awhile.
Well I can't read or speak Japanese (though in process of learning), but I still enjoy SRW greatly. The biggest joy for SRW isn't really story but seeing some of your favorite robot anime protagonist and mechs interacting with each others. Though obviously not knowing Japanese properly does take away some of the special moments, still the battle itself gives many great moments.

When it comes to OG series I enjoyed the story. Despite being feeling bit messy toward the end, I thought it was great.
Old 2010-10-22, 00:09   Link #57
RisArk

K I can see lacking, but Z had a real good story compared to most SRW's. It combines all the shows very well, and solves a lot of problems that some of them had.
Old 2010-10-22, 02:58   Link #58
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

I can see that so far from what I've played of Z, but still I've been finding the story to be a little underwhelming (half the series I haven't seen before which may be part of the "problem").

I guess maybe I just don't like seeing so much canon being mixed together? Which makes it difficult to care about what's going on. Though I do love the system and the robots.

With the "best" version of OG out currently maybe I should give it a try.
Old 2010-10-22, 04:46   Link #59
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Z is good. I like Rand and his Heat Crusher as the OG char. Beside, where else do we got an atsukurushi-oyaji as a main character in a shounen-filled mecha story :P
Old 2010-10-22, 07:19   Link #60
RisArk

Z's story gets really strong later on. Unlike say Alpha 3 which halts momentum with SEED near the end, Z keeps the energy up in the very end.

It's also the only other Squad SRW game where you pretty much play all your units.