Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-12, 23:12   Link #61
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Before Kanata showed up she was ready to chase Haruka away. Also note Narumi's partner knew the whole deal was about Kanata.

We need to know what's the deal between Narumi and Kanata before we can make any conclusions about her.
She was still being needlessly cold, and aggressive towards someone she barely even knew, even though her conflict is with Kanata. Her friend even pointed this out, so it's not like I'm seeing something that wasn't there. My main point was that both Harukana Receive and Hanebedo have/had characters that were acting like jerks. So, I don't see either show as being better in that regard.
Old 2018-07-12, 23:18   Link #62
BWTraveller
Born to ship

My guess is she has had some really negative experiences with someone who was incredibly powerful, enough so to be called an "ace", which combined with her feelings that team play is central and fed into it, pushing her to cling to that philosophy in rejection of that person's power. Her reaction certainly didn't seem like merely someone who disagreed as a rule with a concept, more like someone for whom that term had become a real sore spot. This doesn't excuse her, she still may have been going a little too hard, but it makes a little more sense than her just being a jerk.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 03:02   Link #63
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
She was still being needlessly cold, and aggressive towards someone she barely even knew, even though her conflict is with Kanata.
Cold, yes. Aggressive, not really. She kept it civil. Unlike Nagisa from Hanebado who was an massive bitch treating everyone around her like shit. Actually, if Riko didn't stop Nagisa when Yuka confronted her in episode 1, Nagisa was gonna beat her up. That's being aggressive.
Old 2018-07-13, 06:24   Link #64
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

There's aggressive and then there's passive aggressive. What happened here was the latter. Not seen Hanebado but I'm guessing that was the former. This is all a moot point though: Nobody is watching this show primarily for substance. They're watching it for SUBSTANCE.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 06:56   Link #65
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There's aggressive and then there's passive aggressive. What happened here was the latter. Not seen Hanebado but I'm guessing that was the former. This is all a moot point though: Nobody is watching this show primarily for substance. They're watching it for SUBSTANCE.
They're watching for PLOT.

And yes Hanebado is infinitely better than this, but at the same time Harukana Receive made it pretty obvious what it was about so... whatever lol.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 09:24   Link #66
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Which anime is "better" is neither here nor there – it's akin to comparing apples and oranges owing to the fact that Harukana Receive and Hanebado have different stories to tell
Old 2018-07-13, 09:48   Link #67
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm watching it for team play. It does send a positive message from the start unlike Hanebo.

Really, they are just wearing bikinis. It's summer where I'm at. It's not that special.
Old 2018-07-13, 11:18   Link #68
EroKing

Episode 2

Hi guys, it's that time of the week again.

NSFW
Gifs
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Just for Haak

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-22 at 09:05.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 11:21   Link #69
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

This shows "plot" is great so far, I cant get enough of the "plot".

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 11:46   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm kind of impressed they were willing to avoid using an OP/ED for the first two episodes just to squeeze in more content. Oh sure there is plenty of "plot" in there, but there is good character moments as well that they made time for. Although yeah totally had moments of Kanata just absorbed in Haruka's rear end .

That was a good emotion driven episode. It got things where you expected, but it really worked. A hard path for Kanata to get where she was by episode's end, but one that needed to be taken. After all she did want to play, but just couldn't bring herself to take the step beyond that desire.

And certainly a rough one for Narumi as well. Shows Haruka does have some clever brain power there. Logically if the goal was to win then targeting someone who is at least appearing to get used to the serves makes little sense. If Narumi was 100% out to win in the most efficient way then targeting Kanata who she knows isn't comfortable receiving and then spiking would be best. Instead she kept going after Haruka because she couldn't stand doing that. A bit of a brutal win condition, but it worked.

Probably helps everyone as well. Narumi can move on easier knowing that Kanata is ok. And Kanata can regain her confidence and find a way to win despite her height being an issue.
Old 2018-07-13, 12:18   Link #71
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Images
Just for Haak
I'll call her when she's over 18.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 13:19   Link #72
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'm enjoying both the plot and the plot. It's not necessarily a new or unique plot, it's something we've heard plenty of times. In fact I'd say 80% or more of sports anime I've seen, great and terrible, followed this or otherwise similar plotlines, with newbies who are somehow awesome and veterans who quit or are considering quitting on account of some "weakness", and if both are present you can almost guarantee that the new prodigy will either become a dear friend and support for the weak veteran, or a rival to spur them on to keep going.

On the note of the plot then, while I agree with Kanata I'd say hers is cuter all the same.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 13:35   Link #73
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Hi guys, it's that time of the week again.
NSFW
Gifs
In that case, in the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, I stake out the first claim for Haruka!
Old 2018-07-13, 15:32   Link #74
grecefar

That ntr thought... ;-;

nice match I enjoyed it a bit, looks like haruka can be a genius.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 18:29   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I never expected the girls themselves to talk about their butts
The series is pretty self aware.

This episode also turned on the yuri undertones to the max. Not that I think anything will actually come out of it.

As for the plot, classic stuff but it was handled pretty well. Now we know why Narumi was so harsh with Haruka and also why Kanata was envious of Haruka's height. Narumi turned out to be a very kind girl, who unintentionally ended up hurting her friend. I hope we'll see them make up soon.
Old 2018-07-13, 19:17   Link #76
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
who unintentionally ended up hurting her friend.
I wouldn't say that. Kanata ran away on her own because she felt useless. Narumi couldn't find a way to help her, but she didn't hurt her either.
Old 2018-07-13, 20:04   Link #77
Wandering Soul

This series definitely has some strong "plot". The actual plot isn't so bad either. The ending casts Narumi in a different light compared to the last episode and showed that she was concerned for Kanata too. I'm looking forward to seeing them reconcile.
Old 2018-07-13, 20:05   Link #78
IceHism

don't care about the "plot" but why aren't the matches themselves animated with the same ambition and technique that hanebado does for their badminton matches .

Sad, i just want the matches to be as cool and hot blooded as possible.

Story seems pretty typical so far but i don't mind. And hey i just figured out harukana is just the main two character's names together xd. also yuri but i don't care for undertones.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 20:50   Link #79
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I wouldn't say that. Kanata ran away on her own because she felt useless. Narumi couldn't find a way to help her, but she didn't hurt her either.
I think at worst she was too kind. Narumi clearly isn't necessarily a master of verbal communication so couldn't push Kanata in the way she needed to be pushed. She tried to help in the only way she could by working harder to carry the receiving duties that Kanata was afraid to. And while well-intentioned it just resulted in Kanata's feeling of being dead weight just getting worse.

She didn't hurt her so much as Narumi just wasn't equipped to help her overcome it. May have been an issue that both required someone like Haruka and the time for Kanata to want to try again. Kanata needed to feel needed and Haruka was good at getting that feeling across.
Old 2018-07-13, 21:05   Link #80
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Narumi clearly isn't necessarily a master of verbal communication
I think you nailed it here. Like Ayasa said, Narumi is by nature a shy, introverted kinda person. She just didn't have the boldness that was needed to push Kanata out of her shell.

Tags
sports, volleyball