AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2019-03-13, 15:27   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Childhood friend romance (with no separation)

I'm looking for romances between childhood friends who'd always been close with no separation since preschool. An odd thing I noticed after a while about childhood friend loves/crushes is that, at least in the stories I've seen, the likelihood of love being requited and successful shows a sort of direct relation to the amount of separation between the pair. A long-lost or forgotten childhood friend who suddenly reenters a person's life is very likely to be the victor even in a sizeable harem. Same goes for a childhood rival who'd generally shown little to no "friendship" and instead were always fighting. On the other hand most stories I can think of with a childhood friend who'd been by the other's side every step of the way, neither one ever moving or disappearing, always warm and friendly and close without any extreme or long-term enmity, pretty much only succeed if the only rivals are removed or rendered completely unsympathetic. It can happen, like in Ginen Shounen where the two main characters had been together much of their lives and had always treasured each other. And it's a little easier to pull off with young-audience series like Rockman.exe in which the main characters are still kids and the story is more focused on the action than the relationships. I'm a serious sucker for childhood friends (not as much as certain individuals but pretty close), so I was hoping I could get a good list of series I hadn't seen that fit this bill, difficult though it may be.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-13, 16:03   Link #2
LonelyPoet
Star Child

Tomako Market or Cross Game might be what your looking for.
LonelyPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-14, 00:53   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think True Tears is too many miles off the mark.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-14, 14:24   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

3-gatsu no Lion has a touching subplot involving the main girl and a guy who is not the lead. They part ways though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-14, 23:20   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPoet View Post
Tomako Market or Cross Game might be what your looking for.
My gosh how could I have forgotten Tamako!! Don't really know Cross Game very well, heard a lot about it but never really watched it. I heard that the girl who survives hates the guy for a significant period...

And as for my beloved Lion, while I consider that to be one of my absolute favorite series ever, especially now that
Spoiler for manga:
, what I'm looking for here is childhood friends who'd always been close friends and become legitimate couples, true OTPs. As you noted Hina did not end up with Takahashi.

Age target doesn't matter one bit. I adore puppy love, it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I made it all the way through Pokémon XY and XYZ on Serena alone, as well as Rockman.exe and others. Heck, I even took a look at Brave Beats (though that one was much more for laughs; I mean for crying out loud it has a macho Santa teach a group of eleven-year-olds how to pole dance).
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-15, 05:08   Link #6
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Someone tag dragoonkain in here. Im sure he has heaps of recs.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-15, 10:04   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Don't really know Cross Game very well, heard a lot about it but never really watched it. I heard that the girl who survives hates the guy for a significant period...
Aoba is a tsundere, in fact my favorite tsundere in all of anime (with Chiaki Shinichi close behind). It helps a lot that Tomatsu Haruka nails the role. Aoba's feelings for Kou are very complicated and difficult to cope with as a young girl. Watching her grow is an important part of the story.

I'll just mention that Cross Game is one of the half-dozen shows I give a ten score to at MAL. It also won the Choice Award here for Best Show of 2010 over Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. You really should watch it. My 27-yo daughter who isn't all that enamored with baseball has watched it three times.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-16, 06:50   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's probably in my all-time top five.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 01:40   Link #9
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I would actually love to see good recs here as well. Because I agree with BWTraveller. Separation is the only way childhood friends ever win... it's really annoying. Is it really necessary to just randomly make them lose because they don't insert inherent turbulence into the plot. Consistent sweetness works too, just look at stuff like karakai jouzu no takagi-san. That doesn't need tension to be a very enjoyable and addicting read. It's a bit disappointing. I'd really love some good childhood friend manga, anime, VN (main heroine/true route), jrpg recs.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 05:31   Link #10
Lex79

Nobody mentioned Maga Tsuki?