AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-21, 03:34   Link #21
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

good art and animation coupled with fantastic jazz music... plus there were interesting characters that generally didn't fit into a specific character type (with the exception of Faye)... the story was alright too and I liked the whole futuristic bounty hunters thing... but... i will definitely say that cowboy bebop is not the best anime I have seen.... but it's great still......
Old 2004-02-21, 03:51   Link #22
Shinjitsu No shi
Hmm peanutbutter?

Send a message via AIM to Shinjitsu No shi
Exclamation

The only thing that really stood out in Bebop was the music, Yoko Kanno did a great job composing, and those of you with 50 bones to spare should pick up the OST's
Shinjitsu No shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 05:46   Link #23
Goldenducky

Send a message via AIM to Goldenducky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
With the possible exception of Lupin, there was no other anime out there like it.

In anime, anything remotely original scores brownie points in my book.
ok to start out Cowboy Bebop was NOTHING like Lupin. that is possibly the worst comparrison ive ever heard.
personally i like cowboy bebop because
a) it has nothing to do with teenagers going through puberty ( i am so sick of animes like that)

b) because there arent any "super powers" involved or any gigantic robots

and c) because the main character isnt a goody goody who always does the right thing hes pretty cool on my standards

but then again thats just me
Goldenducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 16:40   Link #24
daliinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenducky
ok to start out Cowboy Bebop was NOTHING like Lupin. that is possibly the worst comparrison ive ever heard.
a) it has nothing to do with teenagers going through puberty ( i am so sick of animes like that)

and c) because the main character isnt a goody goody who always does the right thing hes pretty cool on my standards

Amen. couldn't have said this better myself
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 17:47   Link #25
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01
What do people see in this show? I thought it was mildly entertaining; managed to watch the whole thing even... Toward the end it does have some nice character development and actual plot, but I don't get it. Didn't particularly like any of the characters - flat out despised Fay (wasn't that her name?). Most of the episodes seemed so pointless. This sure wouldn't rank within even my top 10 anime choices. The movie seemed even worse than the series. What am I missing? Is the whole film noir appeal that attractive?
This was a series with really no story. It would have been a VERY huge hit if it stayed more to the story of Spike's relation with the syndicate and such. It was just plain humor mostly because it was one adventure to another each episode kinda series. Nevertheless I loved it for its carelessness and to the point approach since i watched it right after i toasted and fried my brain trying to understand Neon Genesis Evangelion.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 17:36   Link #26
KrooleMannen

The reason why I rate CB at no.1 is that it is nearly perfect in every aspect. Every episode is interesting and different from the next. You can watch every episode as one mini-movie unlike many other popular series (Naruto, One Piece, FMA among others).

The drawing style is really good. In my opinion the best Sunrise has come up with.

The Soundtrack is without a doubt a masterpiece. Mixing jazz, blues and a little bit of metal makes this one best anime soundtracks Iīve ever listened to.

The characters and their backgrounds are well made and really fits with the somewhat "unusual" plot.
KrooleMannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:34   Link #27
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I'll join you in the people that didn't like CB .

If you ask me why, well, it never caught to me, and I never passed the 5th or 6th episode, well.
First, you all said it's original anime material but it reminded me a good deal of Cobra which was such a good serie (There is a part of Nostalgie in this). I also happen to be a big SF litterature fan and well, the universe depicted in CB is very classic in that aspect as well as the story used.
Then, people have pointed as a good thing that episodes feel like "mini movies", but my resulting feeling was that there wasn't much pushing me to watch the next episode.
While the reasons given by Goldenducky for liking the show feel good to me, I didn't though the result was anything fascinating, even though it is nice to have stories not centered around teenagers once in a while.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 14:06   Link #28
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

cowboy bebop thread.

has anyone here seen the fInal episode.If you have can you tell me your opinion.

My pinion is that it was major let down.I mean the way that spike acted when he came down the stairs was kinda of retarded. he looked like he was high. come who comes down stairs and just says bang.

also it wasn't much of a fight. It was only two minutes. come on it was to short.

Also the fact that spike died. he should have lived so that there would have been a more open ending. Because of this i was fustrated for three days.On the inside i'm still kind pissed.this is why i'm on a rant.

besides the bad things it was a pretty good episodes. his girlfreind dies,a beautiful fight scene,and a kind of good duel.

I also liked how everyone split up.
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 23:25   Link #29
i0td

From the way, this thread reads, it seems like Cowboy Bebop is really the love it or hate it series. I for one wouldn't say that this was one of the best shows I've watched, but I thought overall that this series was quite enjoyable. Because of its episodic nature, the underlying central plot simply didn't stand out enough to draw some people into the series. lol Spike's flashbacks were so recurrent that we really were expecting more to fill in those gaps, but in reality, we actually saw very little development of the story. However, if you've enjoyed the fun and games Spike and Jet were in each time they undertook a mission, that would probably have been enough to make you want to watch more bounty hunting in space. And it was that, and not the story, that was appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgntig
has anyone here seen the fInal episode.If you have can you tell me your opinion.

My pinion is that it was major let down.
Quite the disappointment. I was under the impression that Julia would've been able to dodge such a random bullet like that. She seemed quite capable. ...but then again, there had to some sort of ending.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 02:27   Link #30
Solecs

Cowboy Bebop will always be one of my favorite animes, probably tied for first in fact. My reasons, I guess, are a lot like Briareos'. That is, you learn about the characters little by little through their actions and words in each of the episodes and by the time you learn their complete pasts you feel like you really know them, or at least I did. Also, the lack of defined good and bad was appealing to me. Of course Yoko Kanno's soundtrack made it even more awesome as she is one of my top two favorite anime musicians (the other being Yuki Kajiura. Hmm, both YK er KY? what a coincidence, lol).

And to drgntig, it was really rather open I thought, the ending that is. I mean, we really don't know for sure what happened to any of the crew after the end of the series. As for how Spike acted at the end, that's anybody's guess what he was thinking, but it totally fit with his character. It was kind of reminiscent of the end of Sympathy for the Devil (Session #6). Not to mention it's memorable, I mean as much as you might have disliked it, it sticks with you. Like Chrno Crusade, I hated the ending so much it just pissed me off but in that way it is very memorable to me.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 16:49   Link #31
oreo_boi

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
What do people see in this show? I thought it was mildly entertaining; managed to watch the whole thing even... Toward the end it does have some nice character development and actual plot, but I don't get it. Didn't particularly like any of the characters - flat out despised Fay (wasn't that her name?). Most of the episodes seemed so pointless. This sure wouldn't rank within even my top 10 anime choices. The movie seemed even worse than the series. What am I missing? Is the whole film noir appeal that attractive?
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!?!
this is pretty much the best series of all time!!!j/k but seriously this show is seriously good.
oreo_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 14:56   Link #32
Solafighter
Hige

Well im sorry for posting on an old theard but since i didnt could find any other Cowboy Bebop theard, i just use this one.

Well, Cowboy Bebop just climbed very fast to my top favourite anime list. This series has almost everything expect of romantic but this anime dont need it.
Its very well maded and the story(s) are very good written, that it sounds realistic, whats going on in this series. Uptill now, i only watched the 26 episodes of the season but next days, i will watch the special episode and the "Knockin on Heavens Door" Movie.

The ending is one of the things, i didnt expected, that this ending is actually... mh well, sad and surprised. Spike said, he wouldnt die and left Faye and Jet alone in the ship but then.... The music is brilliant and i had tiers in my eyes, when Spike was lying on the stairs and the view is zooming out with starting the music.. Dammit so good.

I give Cowboy Bebop a 10/10 and i will rewatch some good episodes soon.

"SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY"
Old 2008-08-28, 12:09   Link #33
LifeILL

I don't really like "episodic" animes at all....which is the reason I don't like Cowboy Bebop that much. I mean, a lot of the episodes were in fact pointless, with stupid stories.

You know, a lot of people complain about how stupid Naruto fillers are.....well watching Cowboy Bebop and I would say the stories aren't much better.
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 15:34   Link #34
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Which one would you call filler ? i dont see alot that could removed without harming the story
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 16:18   Link #35
Dingo
The polyphony

OP, now I ask you this:

How can you like this gag inducing shit?
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 09:00   Link #36
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
I don't really like "episodic" animes at all....which is the reason I don't like Cowboy Bebop that much. I mean, a lot of the episodes were in fact pointless, with stupid stories. ...

Well i agree with you in this point but Cowboy Bebop is for me a big exception.

I never thought, it would end like this. I thought, it would be "just" an open ending. My face was like on episode 24, when they split up.

I just watched the movie, Knockin` on Heaven`s Door in HD. Its brilliant maded like the episodes or even better. I will for sure treasure this series and the movie. The only thing left i have to watch is the special episode.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
OP, now I ask you this:

How can you like this gag inducing shit?

Sorry, but i dont understand, what you mean.
The ending of Mahoromatic?
Old 2008-09-02, 17:13   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The art, music, and "style" of Cowboy Bebop (along with the way it was presented in Japan) had a lot to do with its general appeal. Personally, I wasn't enthralled with the story but I can see why its combination of elements made it a rather important contribution to anime's world-wide popularity increase. One can see why something is well done even if it doesn't personally appeal.

My son's high school jazz band loves playing the theme song.
Old 2008-09-02, 18:51   Link #38
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath View Post
The great music composed by japanese maestro Yoko Kanno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeSpencer View Post
Thats the main reason I can still watch it ...well that and Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV ...always gonna be one of my favorite characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenducky View Post

^^^QFT!!!

Also, I loved Cowboy Bebop because of its ending. It had possibly one of the greatest endings I've seen in anime.
Spoiler for ending:
And, indeed, the whole show worked that way. The intricate way each character's back stories are woven into the show, and the way each culminates are both interesting and FUN; and that is the key word. This was just a fun show. Intense episodes like Asteroid Blues, Ganymede Elegy, and Real Folk Blues (I & II) were adequately mixed with episodes like Mushroom Samba, and Cowboy Funk. It made the show interesting to watch, because you never knew what the next episode was going to bring; laughs, tears, or action.

All of that, combined with the outstanding fight sequences (particularly Spike v. Asamov Aranson in Session #1: Asteroid Blues), made this an interesting and fun show to watch.
Old 2008-09-03, 11:20   Link #39
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
^^^QFT!!!

Also, I loved Cowboy Bebop because of its ending. It had possibly one of the greatest endings I've seen in anime.
Spoiler for ending:
And, indeed, the whole show worked that way. The intricate way each character's back stories are woven into the show, and the way each culminates are both interesting and FUN; and that is the key word. This was just a fun show. Intense episodes like Asteroid Blues, Ganymede Elegy, and Real Folk Blues (I & II) were adequately mixed with episodes like Mushroom Samba, and Cowboy Funk. It made the show interesting to watch, because you never knew what the next episode was going to bring; laughs, tears, or action.

All of that, combined with the outstanding fight sequences (particularly Spike v. Asamov Aranson in Session #1: Asteroid Blues), made this an interesting and fun show to watch.
And dont forget the Knockinī on Heavenīs Door.

Agree with your complete post.
Old 2010-01-06, 15:01   Link #40
TrueCaptain

I have recently watched Cowboy Bebop again and everytime I do I leave the series with more and more respect for Jet, he has a big heart and he has a lot of character, he's definatly one of my favorite characters in this series (along with Spike). I love the episode where Jet has to hunt down the new boyfriend of his old girlfriend and turn him in, then at the end of the episode we are treated to one of the most powerful moments in the series (in my opinion) when Jet tosses away his pocket watch when it finally stops ticking. For whatever reason that single scene always and will always send a tingle up my spine, it was sad and it was powerful, stuff like this is extremely hard to write, trust me....I've tried.

I also love the episode where Spike and Jet watch the tape of Faye when she was a kid, that event gave me a newfound world of respect for Faye's character and you can't help but to feel sorry for the person she has become, it was just so moving. Now, before you guys think I am some Bebop fanboy, I'm not. I dont think the series is without it's flaws but I think, for the most part, the positives outweight the negatives with Cowboy Bebop and we were treated to one of the first adult oriented anime series that helped to set a trend for future series to come.
TrueCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime, science fiction