AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-02, 15:29   Link #41
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I loved Mahoraba. Heart-warming, intelligent, and humane (despite some repetitiveness in the first few episodes). Liked the manga, too.

I didn't enjoy Love Hina at all. Repetitive shallow jokes (as far as I got). But I know a lot of people loved it, so there's probably more there than I saw.

The multiple-personality business in Mahoraba was played a bit for laughs, but there was always a serious thread under it that really impressed me, even if it wasn't totally according to real life.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 15:40   Link #42
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever
what do you guys think of the love hina and mahoraba comparison... do you think they are similar. I'm on episode 8 right now and it seems alright but I hated love hina from the first 5 eps
I don't think they should be compared at all. Love Hina is about zany comedy while doing cruel things to Keitaro. It is impossible to enjoy Love Hina without a sense of schadenfreude because every single episode is cruel, even the ones where happy things happen. It's other major aspect is wild off-the-wall comedy. Usually both are happening at the same time when Keitaro takes a ridiculous beating in some "humorous" way. Even Naru, his beloved is frequently the source of his anguish and pain, full of mistrust for him and eager to give him a beat-down.

By contrast, Mahoraba is about heart warming moments and emotions. While Shiratori has unfortunate things happen to him, often as a result of Tamami's cruelties, these are just obstacles for him to overcome and grant a sense of accomplishment when he rises above them. And Kozue is never the source of these cruelties, except by accident because she isn't always herself. She shows him great trust and kindness.

In my eyes, the only similarity is that they both take place at a boarding house with unusual lodgers. Oh, and they are both about romance, although that theme is addressed quite differently in the two shows.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 15:48   Link #43
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I don't even wanna think about Love Hina & Mahoraba together at the same time - Love Hina's the type of show you can watch on a sunday when there's nothing else to do, Mahoraba's a show that'll always stay in your heart. ^^
Old 2006-05-02, 16:05   Link #44
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

I just read about the love hina/mahoraba thing somewhere, just curious if anyone thought love hina and mahoraba were simlar
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:12   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd come closer to thinking of Mahoraba as descended from Maisson Ikkoku .... with the added twist of Kozue. Love Hina is a completely different boat and like most, I found the repetitive slapstick annoying and all the plot derails (Kaolla and her toys for example) just stupid. I'm mostly fond of the Shinobu and Motoko threads and Haruka whenver they gave her a moment but otherwise... its mostly interesting as a "classic" in the way that Jules Verne is but no one actually reads it
Old 2006-05-02, 16:22   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
its mostly interesting as a "classic" in the way that Jules Verne is but no one actually reads it
1st: I read Jules Verne.

2nd: A lot of people still watch and like Love Hina

3rd: You need to work on your analogies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever
I just read about the love hina/mahoraba thing somewhere, just curious if anyone thought love hina and mahoraba were simlar
Apparently, nobody thinks they are similar.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 16:44   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... apologies, was in a hurry (and should have said not many instead of no one). .... I thought about using Spencer's Faerie Queen and decided no one would have any idea. Do you read Verne in the original French or the translations? (which can be pretty stilted depending on when it was done). I recommend it to younger folk but I usually get the same response I get when people read Dickens or HG Wells... the pre-20th C. verbosity numbs them.

I still pull Love Hina out occasionally and read the threads I like but I usually tell people to read it early or first if they're starting out in comedic romance manga. If Mahoraba gets licensed, that "starting point" might change.
Old 2006-05-02, 18:36   Link #48
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Hmm... I'd say they're not very similar at all; I don't even see how you'd compare them, really.
I think they get compared because they're both somewhat descended from maisson ikkoku, but they are not trying to accomplish the same things whatsoever. Apparently I'm one of the few who is genuinely amused by Love Hina; however, Mahoroba is nothing like it (and I still find it very enjoyable).
Quote:
its mostly interesting as a "classic" in the way that Jules Verne is but no one actually reads it
What's wrong with Jules Verne?
Old 2006-05-02, 19:07   Link #49
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Quote:
1st: I read Jules Verne.
So do I.

Quote:
2nd: A lot of people still watch and like Love Hina
So do I -- although it's hardly in the same class of excellence as Mahoraba, it's a significant influence on harem anime following.

Quote:
3rd: You need to work on your analogies.
Everybody has trouble with analogies. It's like when you're trying to jump out a building, and you find out you left your wings at home... no, wait... that doesn't work. Let me think...

Quote:
heh... apologies, was in a hurry (and should have said not many instead of no one). .... I thought about using Spencer's Faerie Queen and decided no one would have any idea.
I would. And don't try to up the ante by dragging out Boccaccio or Ariosto or some other obscurity. I'm hip to them, too.

Quote:
Do you read Verne in the original French or the translations?
Both.

Quote:
(which can be pretty stilted depending on when it was done). I recommend it to younger folk but I usually get the same response I get when people read Dickens or HG Wells... the pre-20th C. verbosity numbs them.
I like Wells, though I've always found Dickens to be somewhat overblown. Give me Oscar Wilde or E.A. Poe, or any of the Romantic poets, and I'm happy. I also happen to like Milton (and not just his most famous works).

Quote:
I still pull Love Hina out occasionally and read the threads I like but I usually tell people to read it early or first if they're starting out in comedic romance manga. If Mahoraba gets licensed, that "starting point" might change.
I heartily concur. It's at or near the top -- though I think Honey and Clover (which isn't solely a romance, so maybe it doesn't count) deserves to be mentioned. But Love Hina will always be worth reading / watching, because of the influence it has had.

Getting back to the awful analogies, Love Hina is like Hemingway. Even though nearly everything he produced was utter crap, he has influenced so many imitators and wannabes that he's unavoidable. Alas (for yea and verily, Hemingway was a world-class wanker). No wait, that doesn't work, either... LH beats Hemingway, any day of the week.
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 20:04   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I got into more trouble with my humanities teacher in high school over my opinions on Hemingway and Faulkner.... yet managed to pull an A.
Old 2006-05-02, 20:21   Link #51
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
I got into more trouble with my humanities teacher in high school over my opinions on Hemingway and Faulkner.... yet managed to pull an A.
And now.... was this because you said you liked Hemingway, or disliked him?

As for myself, I once told my English teacher that she was incompetent. What really burned her was that I was indisputably correct in this assessment.
Old 2006-05-02, 20:56   Link #52
rooboy
Umeboshi!

It's the difference between innovation and excellence. Innovation is doing something that hasn't been done before. Excellence is doing something that has been done before, but better. While innovation is typically lauded, excellence is frequently ignored. Rarely is the first example of a product the best. If it was the best, no one would ever try to improve upon it. Generally for entertainment value, excellence is better than innovation (which is why so few "new" things are done, even in the world of anime and manga). I wish more series would try less to be "shocking" or "innovative" with their high concepts and spend more time executing the series they are producing.

I think of Love Hina (the anime) as a 6, the manga as an 8. But then I'm helped somewhat in that I don't really consider it a "romance", but as a "comedy" instead. Love Hina contains romantic elements, but that's not it's primary purpose. Also it helps that I read Love Hina first (like Vexx mentioned). While I've seen other series that do the jokes better, Love Hina did them first.
Mahoroba is a 9 (anime or manga). Since I only consider about six or so series a "ten" that means Mahobora is, to me, about as perfect an example of it's genre as you can get.

And Kozue-chan is awfully cute. Especially when she's the sleight-of-hand girl (her name escapes me at the moment).

EDIT:
Quote:
You're dating yourself. All of my lit professors were fine with negative opinions of Hemingway, Faulkner and Dickens.
Old 2006-05-03, 03:56   Link #53
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
EDIT:You're dating yourself. All of my lit professors were fine with negative opinions of Hemingway, Faulkner and Dickens.
Heheh... I do believe Vexx and I are among the "senior citizens" in these forums. Although that term is naturally extremely relative in a population with a fairly young average age.
Old 2006-05-03, 06:15   Link #54
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I think im probably among the oldest on the forums, i wake up every morning and my penssion book and kimmer frame are another step closer >.<

I agree that there is a vast difference between this and love hina, while i certainly loved love hina, it dosent really go anywhere. Even when they finally get together in the end and get married, the poor guy is still getting beat up >.<
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 06:28   Link #55
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
I agree that there is a vast difference between this and love hina, while i certainly loved love hina, it dosent really go anywhere. Even when they finally get together in the end and get married, the poor guy is still getting beat up >.<
Well, you never know -- that might be some people's idea of marital bliss.

But yes, the thing that makes Mahoraba so much better than LH is that the former carries a strong message of healing and compassion, whereas the latter is mostly about requiting an unrequited love and getting some nookie.
Old 2006-05-03, 22:54   Link #56
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Kozue brings love from Winter Festival 2006~

<3
Old 2006-05-03, 23:12   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Winter Festival pics appreciated across the threads, Angelsama

Sounds like we should start an "old codger" subgroup.... rooboy is ancient by many of our poster's standards, he could be honorary
Old 2006-05-04, 02:34   Link #58
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Winter Festival pics appreciated across the threads, Angelsama

Sounds like we should start an "old codger" subgroup.... rooboy is ancient by many of our poster's standards, he could be honorary
Oh, cool. Then we could talk about how anime used to be better in the old days, and how the kids these days just don't get it, and how tough we used to have it, and how the kids these days just don't get it, and.... (obligatory Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen spiel)

Seriously, it would be a fun idea. I don't know that many fans who (like me) started out by watching Kimba the White Lion and whose first mecha was Mazinger Z. Seems like most of them started with Dragonball or something like that.
Old 2006-05-04, 08:46   Link #59
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak Of Nature
Heheh... I do believe Vexx and I are among the "senior citizens" in these forums. Although that term is naturally extremely relative in a population with a fairly young average age.
That was sort of my point, I'm 30 and it was perfectly fine for me to lambaste Hemingway and Faulkner all the way through high school, much less college.
Quote:
Thanks, I'll pass on honorary "old codger" membership. I think I'd rather earn it the old fashioned way. (I'm not dead yet!)

Back to the topic at hand, I don't see how Mahoroba doesn't require the same sense of schadenfreude. Unless you think the joke about Shiratori getting locked up in the "punishment room" is a happy-go-lucky thing.
Schadenfreude is intended to mean that you like seeing people going through misfortune. Shiratori suffers just as much as Keitaro does. And not all of Keitaro's comes at the expense of the Naru Punch (or the Motoko Slash, as the case may be). Not that I'm really trying to defend Love Hina, but that argument seems silly on the face of it. I would say some 80%-85% of comedy relies on schadenfreude (at least in the overly broad way you're describing it), and when you're looking at anime it's probably even higher.

Just looking at the series I'm watching this season the following have comedic elements that broadly require schadenfreude: Suzumiya Haruhi, xxxHOLiC, School Rumble, Nana, Ouran High School Host Club, Karin, and Disgaea.
Old 2006-05-04, 10:31   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll admit that the episode where they tortured Shiratori by crossdressing him seemed very out of context with most of the show and almost turned me off of it (99% of the other abuse was verbal). The "punishment room" worked for me because it was left completely to the mind of the viewer what was happening (all offscreen) - very different from LH's explicit punishments.
I agree the quantity of abuse was somewhat similar (and Shiratori getting some guts paralleled Keitaro) but the quality of Mahoraba I definitely preferred. I'm going to put it off to LH is where comedic romance was in 2000 and Mahoraba and H&C showed us the sophistication jump in 2005 (though I still think Mahoraba is genetically closer to Maisson Ikkoku than LH). Some of our crop this year show another spike in growth or branching of comedy and romance (REC, Suzumiya, etc).

(lame fanboy comment: Motoko should so have won once Keitaro was worth catching )

Most comedy requires some level of schadenfreude ... root of all comedy and so on. I don't *tend* to like drama-heavy romance though I got attached a number of shows in the last couple years that qualify as that. I'm getting enough interesting stuff in anime that the only tv I watch anymore is PBS, NCIS (for Abby ), and the original CSI. Occasionally we'll all sit down and try to watch "regular tv" and it lasts about 20 minutes before we've all left the room in annoyance -- especially the "comedy" and "reality" junk.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen