Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-01, 03:14   Link #1
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

The reason behind the 'Console War'

http://aproposofeverything.wordpress...e-console-war/

Quote:
You see, ass-hurt console war crap come mostly from internal regret. From wasting a paycheck and waiting in the rain for a console, or underestimating your mother’s “you can only have one” rule, regret can be, and probably IS the biggest driving force behind console fanboys.

The Wii had the best launch by far, and is still beating the crap out of the competition, leaving old school Nintendo fanboys and once regretful 1st generation DS owners (who lucked out on the system’s initial lackluster success) laughing all the way to their mother’s basements. The problem is, after Brawl was released, Wii owners noticed not only that there are very few good exclusives, but there doesn’t seem to be many good games on the horizon. Slowly, many are realizing that the Wii may truly be a ‘Gamecube 1.5′.

The PlayStation’s fall from grace is by far the biggest story to come from this generation. The initial failure of the overpriced console left it’s purchases restrained only to Sony loyalists, optimists, graphics whores, and kids that got shafted come Christmas time. Things looked entirely grim, until the turning point at last year’s E3, along with the release of MGS4 and the so-called ‘Blue-Ray victory’ led to pessimists dropping their guards and embracing the console. It’s sudden upturn, in addition to a slew of new exclusives, has not only returned hope to Sony’s eyes, but has led fanboys to strike back at their opposite competition with a violent vengeance.

Which leaves the 360. With good sales and the highest number of quality exclusives, the 360 owners should be the happiest fanboys of the bunch. But lately, with the rise of the PS3’s sales and the Wii’s dominance, the possibility of the 360, once the shining star of the generation, ending up the least successful, has fanboys absolutely livid. Even worse, the constant comments from casual and non-fanboy PS3 owners raving about their new console for no reason other than the fact that they just like to play the games has led to hilariously horrible fanboy wars being ‘fought’ on every corner of the internet.

This combination of groupthink and regret felt on every side has led to the most blatant and annoying generation of video game fanboyism ever seen. Even worse, more and more aging children are being brought into this gloriously unhealthy fandom with this powerful fanboy mindset, which may mean that all future generations of video games inspire the same undeserved rage this one has.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 05:28   Link #2
Dingo
The polyphony

My eyes hurt from reading that crap.The only thing he's done here is recite what everyone(as deep in denial as some be) already knows.With a strong touch douchebaggery thrown in of course.

Ah yes

this is a gaming blog post alright.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 07:43   Link #3
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Doesn't really matter (didn't read all of it btw.)

The same can be said of Nintendo. Their fall of grace after the SNES which was picked up by Sony. Then currently Nintendo picked up from where Ps2 left off.

Although many people say that Wii is not next gen. Graphically yes. But, in terms of innovation it is next gen. Although the Ps3 has some motion controls. But its not used extensively.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 10:50   Link #4
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Go go New Games Journalism!

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 11:30   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Of all the next gen consoles I've enjoyed the PS3 the most and the Wii very much as well. Not to say I hate the 360 as I do enjoy playing the game exclusives they have its just not one I'd like to have with all its technical problems. I don't why people become such arrogant fanboys/fangirls over stupid stuff like a console. Buy the console with the games you like and shut up! THere is no need to rip on others for buying another system.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 12:02   Link #6
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Nah console wars will always be there. I personally hate the Wii a passion, since the only good games on it are played with the traditional controller. The rest of the games are a joke to be honest. Unless you game like 3 hours each week. Not to mention it's killing gaming we are used to. Since the mainstream is fucking nice it's cheap and makes more money. >_> The XBOX 360 arcade is a way better buy.

Personally am a Playstation gamer, since the Metal gear solid series is in my opinion the best series ever.

Was a Nintendo gamer from the Nes to the Cube(the cube sucked arse imo).
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 20:04   Link #7
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
It's funny, because that's what he does here.
Old 2008-07-02, 02:32   Link #8
sa547
*Author

Sometimes I look at the competition between console makers and game developers, and I can't help but compare it cynically to the current hip-hop / pop music scene (as well as those vain cellphone nutcases chasing after the latest model from Nokia/Apple/Motorola/Sony): it's mostly hype, and I don't like to dole out my money just to grab the "new, new thing".

Might as well hunt down whoever is selling that old Atari 2600 and a bunch of carts for a song.
Old 2008-07-02, 11:07   Link #9
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulassassin547 View Post
Might as well hunt down whoever is selling that old Atari 2600 and a bunch of carts for a song.
Meh still the best console is either the SNES or the PS2. =o
Old 2008-07-02, 17:58   Link #10
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Buy the console with the games you like and shut up! THere is no need to rip on others for buying another system.
Sometimes there are some truly stupid and ignorant comments people make out there like they're fact though and the problem is theres a console involved usually. Fanboy or not, any well informed person is going to slightly rage inside.

Quote:
Was a Nintendo gamer from the Nes to the Cube(the cube sucked arse imo).
Only if you didn't go out and check out the stores for other titles besides the big blockbusters. I found plenty of sleeper hits in my time from browsing around for my GCN games and some of the greatest games I ever played too. Helps too that the Wii has backwards compatibility, since I'm discovering even more stuff I missed before and able to still access the stuff I enjoyed. Unlike a certain other two consoles...

On a completely unrelated note looking back on the PS2 it was full of really horrible shovelware, the really good stuff didn't even come out till like the last 4 odd years since its the only last gen console still alive. Most of the early games even of the big series were only decent really. In other cases they were outright crimes against humanity (See: Metal Gear Solid 2 and Devil May Cry 2). Funny how things turned out huh?

At the moment the home console scene is a mixed blessing, its both full of the biggest load of crap and uninspired hype I've ever seen. At the same time we're still seeing occasional rays of sunshine from developers who actually try making a good game on the Wii with depth. Or developers who don't just whore out ragdoll physics and cookie cutter gameplay with shinier graphics on the HD consoles.

As it stands the handheld console is the ultimate victor of this era. DS versatility and selection in games is near unrivaled in both the casual and traditional areas. PSP has been sorta chugging along only finally picking up abit of steam and finding a small niche. It helps it had one or two runaway success games which has considerably boosted its userbase lately. Still doesn't help though its full of ports/shovelware and is terrible in concept as a handheld... (well in the true sense of what a handheld is meant to be.)
Old 2008-07-02, 18:11   Link #11
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
actually there is a lot to earn for making other people buy your console (ie fanboying, at least in the not so ugly manner) as a console has more users it has more power over game creator thus getting more good games..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:52   Link #12
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
actually there is a lot to earn for making other people buy your console (ie fanboying, at least in the not so ugly manner) as a console has more users it has more power over game creator thus getting more good games..
That hasn't really worked out for the Wii, has it?
Old 2008-07-03, 00:12   Link #13
rg4619

Quote:
That hasn't really worked out for the Wii, has it?
That's because many publishers/developers still view the Wii as a fad (i.e. one of those toys that breaks sales records at Christmas, but quickly vanishes as kids latch onto the next big thing).

Of course, part of that is wishful thinking. Traditional game creators still dominate the development scene, and many resist Nintendo's new marketing direction. They don't make or necessarily respect casual games, so there's no commitment to the Wii. In fact, it's poison to their futures (they'd either have to quit making games or grudgingly accept projects they have no interest in. The sooner the fad dies, the better) if the core gaming market declines and is partially replaced by a new generation of casual gamers.

So yeah, these biases can affect development decisions. If casual gaming is to dominate, it'll primarily happen through newcomers to the industry (many of whom are pumping out garbage so far, but that might change) rather than veteran game developers.

Quote:
As it stands the handheld console is the ultimate victor of this era. DS versatility and selection in games is near unrivaled in both the casual and traditional areas. PSP has been sorta chugging along only finally picking up abit of steam and finding a small niche. It helps it had one or two runaway success games which has considerably boosted its userbase lately. Still doesn't help though its full of ports/shovelware and is terrible in concept as a handheld... (well in the true sense of what a handheld is meant to be.)
I thought Sony was nuts when they announced the PSP. The specs and design looked great, but they completely ignored what handheld development meant to studios (low cost, low risk, high return on investment despite moderate sales).

Any rational company would develop on the DS instead. Why would they favour development budgets that are right up there with console releases?

Last edited by rg4619; 2008-07-03 at 00:24.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 09:16   Link #14
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The problem with the Wii is that it took everyone by surprise. Until then developers just weren't taking it seriously. So they started serious development really late, of which we'll see the fruits later this year, probably.
Old 2008-07-03, 11:12   Link #15
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Only if you didn't go out and check out the stores for other titles besides the big blockbusters. I found plenty of sleeper hits in my time from browsing around for my GCN games and some of the greatest games I ever played too. Helps too that the Wii has backwards compatibility, since I'm discovering even more stuff I missed before and able to still access the stuff I enjoyed. Unlike a certain other two consoles...

On a completely unrelated note looking back on the PS2 it was full of really horrible shovelware, the really good stuff didn't even come out till like the last 4 odd years since its the only last gen console still alive. Most of the early games even of the big series were only decent really. In other cases they were outright crimes against humanity (See: Metal Gear Solid 2 and Devil May Cry 2). Funny how things turned out huh?

At the moment the home console scene is a mixed blessing, its both full of the biggest load of crap and uninspired hype I've ever seen. At the same time we're still seeing occasional rays of sunshine from developers who actually try making a good game on the Wii with depth. Or developers who don't just whore out ragdoll physics and cookie cutter gameplay with shinier graphics on the HD consoles.
Yeah yeah bla bla bla. In the end the best games on the Gamecube where medicore compared to the best games on the PS2. The PS2 even had the better platformer. You know the best franchise Nintendo had even failed on the cube. Metroid prime was a joke compared the 2d counterparts. When a handheld releases a better release of a franchise you know it's a joke.

That said Metal gear solid 2 was awesome the only hate it got was, because you where playing raiden, but hell his background and story was good. DMC2 sucked, but DMC3 made it alright. Yeah it turned out the best console out of that generation showing in sales and games. It excelled in every genre except the shooter and action adventure. Which both the XBOX holds with Halo and Ninja Gaiden.

All I have the say the biggest innovation is coming from sony with Little big planet and can't w8 to see what the Ico/SoC crew will do.
Old 2008-07-03, 11:26   Link #16
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
All I have the say the biggest innovation is coming from sony with Little big planet and can't w8 to see what the Ico/SoC crew will do.
I can't wait for Little Big Planet, looks awesome.

Anyways I do like the Ps2 more than the Cube and Xbox, but that has a lot to do with games like Ico, Shadow of the Colussus, and Tekken 5 being on them.

However the GC did have plenty of good games that most people didn't even know where on the Cube. They had remakes of pretty much all the original Resident Evil games, They had a game pack with Zelda Orcarina of time and Majoras mask. And of course Metal Gear Solid the twin snakes.

Aside from remakes there were games like Resident Evil 4 which was only on the GC at first, Battalion Wars, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Wave Race: Blue Storm, F Zero GX, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Zelda Windwaker, Super Smash Bros Melee, etc.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 11:29   Link #17
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
However the GC did have plenty of good games that most people didn't even know where on the Cube. They had remakes of pretty much all the original Resident Evil games, They had a game pack with Zelda Orcarina of time and Majoras mask. And of course Metal Gear Solid the twin snakes.

Aside from remakes there were games like Resident Evil 4 which was only on the GC at first, Battalion Wars, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Wave Race: Blue Storm, F Zero GX, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Zelda Windwaker, Super Smash Bros Melee, etc.
Yeah well the Gamecube wasn't bad, but hell the PS2 won that era hands down. I know I have most of the GC games you mentioned. I was kinda harsh saying it sucked, but I was kinda bitter since they aren't what they used to be. It makes my inner Nintendo fanboi hurt. D:
Old 2008-07-04, 14:39   Link #18
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
That said Metal gear solid 2 was awesome the only hate it got was, because you where playing raiden, but hell his background and story was good.
Actually most of the hatred also came from MGS2 having an incoherant, contrived, horrible and badly written plot. Anything that wasn't Raiden's direct back story was nothing short of verbal diarrhea. It didn't help the graphics were only decent at best, it had some genuinely annoying characters, Ocelot with a possessed talking arm and Raiden being generally unlikeable hurt it more.

Quote:
Metroid prime was a joke compared the 2d counterparts.
Try taking off those inch deep nostalgia goggles first, it normally makes things alot easier to see. Metroid Prime captured the essence of the older Metroid's perfectly and it didn't do bad in sales either. The old puzzle and exploration formula was completely intact. It was pretty too if you're into eye candy, though that was more of a bonus than anything.

Quote:
Which both the XBOX holds with Halo and Ninja Gaiden.
Ninja Gaiden maybe but thats easily debatable. Halo, no. Its one of the most cookie cutter, overhyped and no skill casual FPS ever created. They didn't even add something as basic as the ability to carry two guns till much later.

The music gets points and overall plot was pretty epic actually (characterization was weak though) but the gameplay has always been lacklustre, clunky, slow with meh controls. It would've been fine for a FPS RPG or a FPS exploration game but unsuitable for what it was. But the Xbox owners had nothing else to justify owning that console which created rabid fans on a level no other fanbase could come close to which helped its hype.

Quote:
It excelled in every genre except the shooter and action adventure.
Thats exaggeration if I ever seen it. GCN actually had arguably better fighter, arcade shooter, racing games and a respectable showing in RPG's.

Quote:
Yeah well the Gamecube wasn't bad
But thats exactly what you were said. Look.
Quote:
"the cube sucked arse imo"
Quote:
Yeah yeah bla bla bla.
Thats actually incredibly rude, I suggest you fix your attitude.
Old 2008-07-04, 15:14   Link #19
mandarb916

I like the games for my PS3
I like the games for my 360

I just wish microsoft (or someone) made a smaller controller...i can't play for more than 45min-1hr without getting a cramp at the base of my thumbs because the controller is just too damn big...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 00:53   Link #20
Rah-Rah
I Am A Justaway

Send a message via MSN to Rah-Rah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Yeah yeah bla bla bla. In the end the best games on the Gamecube where medicore compared to the best games on the PS2.
I would tottaly agree with you there if I didn't love Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Tales of Symphonia to pieces. That being said though, I think the problem with fanboyism is that it's not about the hardware, it's about the games. And somewhere along the line, people get really defensive when their console of choice isn't getting all the suport they'd like (That's my only real problem with my PSP: I don't play too many games other then RPGs and the occasional action adventure game, so it's a bit lacker there, at least on the english market). Oh a side note, I'd throw my hand with the Pro MGS2 people, I actually really liked the story and thought it was quite interesting, but then agian, I actually lisened to all the dialouge without losing focus or being like "OMG WHEN CAN I SHOT STUFF" (guess I'm not really much of an action gamer and enjoy reading more, huh). Although in some respects, I could say it was a bit overwritten (The HUGE, HUGE infodump towards the end of the game was not really needed, and they could have gradually told all of it thoughout the Big Shell arc, but hey, it wouldn't be Kojima without a huge infodump).

Last edited by Rah-Rah; 2008-07-05 at 01:10.
Rah-Rah is offline   Reply With Quote